Photo

Help with Formula Ford history 1972 and before

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 17:37

We have been asked kindly for help by the Historic Formula Ford group of the HSCC.
They have a new history project and they want to gather as much information and personal experiences as they can in the period from the start of the Formula Ford concept in 1967 up to the end of 1972.
What they would most like is memories of the formula in the period, those who took part or helped. Programme pages if you still have any , anecdotes, personal experiences, stories of the people and the cars. Photos and anything that might be of interest especially from those involved then who are still involved in motorsport now in whatever guise and if FF was a stepping stone to other formulae for them.
Knowing the astonishing breadth of knowledge on TNF, nice people they would be most grateful for any help you might be able to give.
It would make an interesting read here too.

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 18:56

Limited to England? UK? The British Isles? The World?

#3 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 20:40

Good question David I imagine the UK, but really why not experiences from anywhere at all, its all a part of the story.

#4 pete53

pete53

• 724 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:20

I still have the programme for the very first exclusively F Ford race at Brands on July 2 1967. I say "exclusively" as FF did have its first airing at Snetterton a couple of weeks beforehand in a F.Libre/Single Seater race.

#5 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:35

Fantastic Pete any chance of posting a scan of the FF entry or send it to me and I can do it.

#6 pete53

pete53

• 724 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 16:41

Fantastic Pete any chance of posting a scan of the FF entry or send it to me and I can do it.

I haven't got a scanner but I am happy to post to you, but obviously would like it returned. Rather than clutter up this thread you can contact me at peterleach56@hotmail.co.uk
If you give an address I would be happy to post. Pete

#7 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 17:22

I saw, and have a lot of early programmes too, from the days when Ray Allen won in the M.R.S cars ( Russell Alexis?) and then of course, the journey men came, Claude Bourgoigne, Tim Schenken, Tony Trimmer, Jody, Emmo et al, great days, and usually on road tyres, were they Firestone F100s ( very hazey memory! )

Edited to add, that I was probably at the 1st meeting at Brands too.......sadly too young for the summer of love :well:

Edited by sterling49, 15 May 2013 - 17:24.

#8 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 21:14

on road tyres, were they Firestone F100s ( very hazey memory! )

Later with Torinos, with their excessive wear rate and extra costs. F100 had its own series, oft much maligned.
Roger Lund

Edited by bradbury west, 15 May 2013 - 21:15.