- - - - -

Laughing at the misfortune, carelessness, and ignorance of others

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,722 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 20:23

It's not nice, but sometimes it just can't be helped.

Advertisement

#2 Grumbles

Grumbles

• 326 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:08

It's not nice, but sometimes it just can't be helped.

I think it's okay to laugh if the mishap was caused by stupidity.

I find it incredible that some of these guys think it's fine to restrain several hundred horsepower with just a couple of skinny little straps, let alone be anywhere near it while it's running with said straps. I use heavier restraints in my bondage dungeon to hold the tarp over my trailer...

#3 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,776 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:06

I saw this one the other day...

#4 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:59

I swear I could smell the rubber!

#5 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 23:46

That one has sure done the rounds, I have received it from two different people.

As for Macs original there is many more like that on You Tube. Most of those cars were not tied down. You have to tie the car down and back. Both sides. Ratchet straps are actually very good. Chocking the front is good too though too hard on 4WD dynos.
Those dyno shows are actually quite dangerous with people standing everywhere and mega [dyno] power cars.
And they bang more than a few engines too ofcourse. And notice, the majority of them were turbo engines!

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 09 June 2013 - 00:02.

#6 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,776 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:54

That one has sure done the rounds, I have received it from two different people.

Did you notice the two blokes on the other side watching something (probably the strap burning) and then they start moving away before the mayhem erupts.

I remember years ago holding a Sports Sedan on Bert Jones's dyno in Parramatta. We had two blokes sitting in the boot for traction and two blokes on the front holding the chocks and leaning against the car as it was climbing the rollers. Back then only sissies used straps.

#7 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:28

Did you notice the two blokes on the other side watching something (probably the strap burning) and then they start moving away before the mayhem erupts.

I remember years ago holding a Sports Sedan on Bert Jones's dyno in Parramatta. We had two blokes sitting in the boot for traction and two blokes on the front holding the chocks and leaning against the car as it was climbing the rollers. Back then only sissies used straps.

I saw the damage to the building but not the car. Many moons ago a car that was not tied down or chocked drove through a Besser block wall. The building was quite sad!! There is a bench along that wall now to catch errant cars,, oh and some decent straps too.

#8 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,642 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:52

That is one of the scariest. Dyno made of tin foil.

#9 rory57

rory57

• 98 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 14:42

I think it's okay to laugh if the mishap was caused by stupidity.
I find it incredible that some of these guys think it's fine to restrain several hundred horsepower with just a couple of skinny little straps...

It isn't just dickwackers with dynos that forget the basics:

The mechanics were checking the engine, and the plane's tires were on chocks. FAA officials weren't sure why the jet came off the chocks and went into the hangar.

http://www.dailybull...nshipId=5203360

On this video, toward the end, note the tyre marks on the concrete!
http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-22904468

Edited by rory57, 14 June 2013 - 17:00.

#10 FrankB

FrankB

• 3,651 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:44

On this video, toward the end, note the tyre marks on the concrete!

Are they tyre marks caused by the wheel brakes being on or scuff marks caused by the chocks being pushed along?