- - - - -

Mercedes F1 Pit Stop Adjustment

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Sisyphus

Sisyphus

• 242 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:15

During the canadian F1 race today during Hamilton's first pits top, the mechanic stuck what looked like a drill motor into the side pod in front of the right rear and made some sort of adjustment. What the heck was he doing? Any ideas?

Advertisement

#2 scarbs

scarbs

• 743 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:14

During the canadian F1 race today during Hamilton's first pits top, the mechanic stuck what looked like a drill motor into the side pod in front of the right rear and made some sort of adjustment. What the heck was he doing? Any ideas?

This is a quick way to adjust front wing flap angle, some teams use cordless drills with an attachment, others just use a wrench.

#3 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:51

This is a quick way to adjust front wing flap angle, some teams use cordless drills with an attachment, others just use a wrench.

I didn't notice that during the race, but if that is the case, what happens to the linkage when you have to replace a nose? Is the front wing adjustment really made from just in front of the rear wheels?

#4 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,503 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:15

I though they were winding up the driver for the next stint....

#5 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,503 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:16

Wouldn't that be slightly less than precise. That is, rather coarse.

Usually they talk half a turn to two or three turns. Not a whole lot.

#6 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:36

You adjust the front wing from the back of the car - Yep, I believe you...

#7 saudoso

saudoso

• 6,776 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 13:53

It was aead the FR tyre, same camera they tried to show the FA/LH (near) contact towards the end of the race. Sisyphus just typed it wrong.

When I saw it it looked like they where blowing something into the brake duct.

Edited by saudoso, 10 June 2013 - 13:54.

#8 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 29,523 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 14:41

The sidepod aead of the FR tire. OK, gotcha.

#9 saudoso

saudoso

• 6,776 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 15:59

http://www.whtimes.c.../1582904326.jpg
That nosecone cam is poiting sideways, not forward. I still think it had to do with brakes.
There you go, the small power drill on the right wing flap.

Edited by saudoso, 10 June 2013 - 16:03.

#10 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 16:12

TS needs to clarify what hes actually talking about. Or we might as well speculate in it being a expression used in drifting in relation to backwards entries. Only place where the sides are in front of the tire (in relation to the driving direction)

Edited by MatsNorway, 10 June 2013 - 16:13.

#11 saudoso

saudoso

• 6,776 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 16:24

Now I'm making a big mess. I did see what scarbs did, an on board from the FR and that's reflected in the picture above. Nothing to do with RR and side pod, have no idea what that's about.

#12 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,613 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 18:38

They adjust the front wing angle for the different tires and to compensate the angle for lessened fuel loads.

Perhaps they use a power drill so they can preset the turns needed for the wing.

#13 Sisyphus

Sisyphus

• 242 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 18:38

I didn't mistype--I meant in front of the right rear tyre.

I realize they use a drill motor on the front wings to quickly reset the attack angle but what I saw during Hamilton's first stop was happening on the right side of the car in front of the rear tyre. One mechanic reached into a recess in the body work with something in his hand while the tyres were being changed. I watched it several times and couldn't tell if it was a drill motor or maybe a small "hair dryer" type blower that was cooling something during the stop--maybe it was for the rear brakes as someone suggested. The device looked rather small to blow much air for an oil cooler, for example, but maybe it could keep the brakes from overheating.

#14 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 21:32

They adjust the front wing angle for the different tires and to compensate the angle for lessened fuel loads.

Perhaps they use a power drill so they can preset the turns needed for the wing.

Well, I think we all know what they do and why - it's just the business of fiddling about at the rear of the vehicle that doesn't make sense.

#15 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 21:37

Posted Image

Choose your weapon - from my own personal toolkit!