- - - - -

DRS, OTHER WAYS TO USE?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 LaoTze

LaoTze

• 133 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 21:50

You guys think there is another way to use DRS?

I just had a brainstorm and was thinking after I saw this; http://www.gpupdate....ck-off-for-drs/

Anyway, how about other uses of DRS... like, maybe if you get to use DRS if you are 2 seconds behind, it gets activated.. but if you are just 1 sec behind you it does not get actived..
Just to give that extra bite.

If you see where I'm getting at, don't slate me as an idiot I'm just trying to fish for other ways to use it. :)

Anyone??

Advertisement

#2 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 21:54

I know a good place they could put drs

#3 LaoTze

LaoTze

• 133 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 21:56

I guess the sun don't shine there? ;P

#4 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 22:00

I just had a brainstorm and was thinking after I saw this; http://www.gpupdate....ck-off-for-drs/

Anyway, how about other uses of DRS... like, maybe if you get to use DRS if you are 2 seconds behind, it gets activated.. but if you are just 1 sec behind you it does not get actived..
Just to give that extra bite.

If you see where I'm getting at, don't slate me as an idiot I'm just trying to fish for other ways to use it. :)

Anyone??

well then it wouldn't be that much of help. They would just follow each other close. Now it gives real overtake chance. Yet Alonso and Hamilton you can clearly see that they use plenty of brain during a race. Didn't see situation as such before :)

#5 Blinkandimgone

Blinkandimgone

• 56 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 22:10

I for one love drs as I think it adds extra spice like when your favourite gets close and has that option available it's just like a cartoon when they have that special power available like the sword of omens or something. But to be fair I think it should be reduced the gap I mean from 1 second to half a second for use.

#6 LaoTze

LaoTze

• 133 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 22:12

I for one love drs as I think it adds extra spice like when your favourite gets close and has that option available it's just like a cartoon when they have that special power available like the sword of omens or something. But to be fair I think it should be reduced the gap I mean from 1 second to half a second for use.

Yea, would be interesting to see how that would work :up:

#7 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 22:15

I'm just waiting till they start putting hot spots on the track that they get to drive over and activate the shields and guns, all part of the show....

Death Race

#8 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 22:39

That was a cool little short video. I get why people think DRS is a Mario Kart-like sham superpower but even in this extreme case, that was still fun to watch.

#9 Ze Bum

Ze Bum

• 495 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 22:51

Yet Alonso and Hamilton you can clearly see that they use plenty of brain during a race. Didn't see situation as such before :)

Last year in India Massa and Kimi were both trying to be the last one to reach the DRS activation spot. That looked funny.

Still, this is the best use of DRS I have seen:

Kimi's Lotus is too slow to overtake Schumi in the DRS zone. When he overtakes somewhere else, Schumi easily takes his place back with DRS. So what does Kimi do? He overtakes with KERS at Eau Rouge, gets the DRS just before overtaking, and then flies away with the DRS. :cool:

#10 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 23:14

i noticed they did something odd when watching the bbc, they where using a helicopter shot and it looked like they slowed down abit then went again, thought it looked odd but figured it might of been a glitch in the stream.

#11 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 23:16

i noticed they did something odd when watching the bbc, they where using a helicopter shot and it looked like they slowed down abit then went again, thought it looked odd but figured it might of been a glitch in the stream.

I thought the same. And was like Why the **** Hamilton lost like half a car just like that. But that replay shows the reason :)

#12 MinardiSpeed

MinardiSpeed

• 187 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:42

Give the driver 5 opportunities to use DRS in a race.

#13 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:53

:cry: this thread

#14 schubacca

schubacca

• 837 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 18:43

DRS has cheapens passing

DRS and the one defensive move rule makes passing a joke in the DRS zones.

#15 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 18:50

well then it wouldn't be that much of help. They would just follow each other close. Now it gives real overtake chance. Yet Alonso and Hamilton you can clearly see that they use plenty of brain during a race. Didn't see situation as such before :)

DRS overtakes are anything but "real".

#16 vapaokie

vapaokie

• 490 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 19:49

Is the leader allowed to use drs? I just watched Canada last night, and I swear I saw the drs open on vettels car when overtaking lapped traffic on the straights. I thought only cars behind (2nd on down) could use drs?

#17 weltmeister1995

weltmeister1995

• 137 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 20:03

Is the leader allowed to use drs? I just watched Canada last night, and I swear I saw the drs open on vettels car when overtaking lapped traffic on the straights. I thought only cars behind (2nd on down) could use drs?

Yes he is allowed to do that!!

#18 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 20:15

DRS overtakes are anything but "real".

Well you cant make it cool for everyone. I prefer such racing than 1st corner saying what the result will be at the finish.
Unless you will nerf the **** out of aero

#19 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 20:15

you can use it if your behind any car i think, apart from the safety car i guess..

Advertisement

#20 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,405 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 21:19

Yeah, if you're within 1 second of previous car, you can use DRS. Even if the car in front of you is lapped car.

Last year in Germany backmarkers helped Alonso to keep the lead. He was under threat of being overtaken, but he got DRS thanks to lapped car and he could defend his position thanks to that.

#21 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 21:34

Get rid of DRS, allow car behind to have 50% extra amount of KERS. Or something similar.

#22 vapaokie

vapaokie

• 490 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:18

I thought the whole point of drs was to make passing easier? How is allowing the leader to use it to stay ahead meet that goal?

#23 prty

prty

• 8,436 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:18

DRS and the one defensive move rule makes passing a joke in the DRS zones.

What's wrong with the one move rule? Do you support dirty racing?

#24 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 2,206 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:07

Get rid of DRS, allow car behind to have 50% extra amount of KERS. Or something similar.

How is that any different from the DRS ? It's still giving an unfair advantage to the guy behind.

#25 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:08

DRS is okay, but in Canada it obviously worked too well. Especially since there where two straights but one pickup point. Sometimes the car already passed on first straight, then had DRS on the 2nd as well.

WIth all things, it's about moderation. Make it work just enough, or just not-enough. But not way to much.

#26 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 33,011 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:06

Press DRS and have Yoshi appear on a go-kart.

DRS needs to be binned. It's an absolute abomination.

#27 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:11

How is that any different from the DRS ? It's still giving an unfair advantage to the guy behind.

The advantage would be no where as huge as DRS.

#28 Beamer

Beamer

• 3,401 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:11

The advantage would be no where as huge as DRS.

That just depends DRS zones etc. Same difference.

#29 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:34

Good idea.

#30 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 2,546 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:51

Use it on tracks that don't have natural overtaking points. So, no DRS zones on tracks like Montreal and Spa. Afterall, it was designed to aid overtaking, but on tracks like the ones I mentioned, no additional help is required.

#31 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,638 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 13:59

Go watch the cartoon then. :p

GvdG was the green shell in the Caterham last race, but DRS in Montreal is pointless. They shouldn't do it at each track. Everytime DRS is used, a puppy dies somewhere.;)

#32 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 482 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 14:26

Playing devils advocate here...

You could say the guy in front has the advantage (gimmicks aside) as his turbulent air is causing the car behind to lose traction, would this be a way of readdressing the balance?

#33 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,827 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 14:34

Either make DRS like KERS by giving a limited amount of seconds that it can be used per lap, or you can use it once per lap. With the way current tracks are designed there would be several choices of when to use it. That means that if you use it to defend on the front straight, someone may try to take you on the back straight once you have none left. It at least gives the drivers choice.

The other option is to link the two systems to work together with one press. That way it would just be a massive boost button (KERS+DRS for six seconds) that you can use to attack or defend anywhere on the track.

#34 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 33,011 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 15:13

Playing devils advocate here...

You could say the guy in front has the advantage (gimmicks aside) as his turbulent air is causing the car behind to lose traction, would this be a way of readdressing the balance?

And what about the slipstream advantage the car behind has by following in the leading car's wake down the straight ?

Whereas turbulence and drafts are both inherent factors in racing, having a DRS wing is not. It has no business in the sport and from what I can tell, its doing little more than turning the whole show into a farce.

Overtaking on a motorway is about as entertaining as some of these DRS overtakes.

#35 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,477 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 15:50

I think DRS is a nesessery evil as watching a faster car sit behind a slower car for 30 laps just becomes so boring. Its very easy to spoil the exits of corners for the car behind so you need to give the car behind an advantage so you will get an overtake rather than just following for lap after lap after lap after lap.

#36 LaoTze

LaoTze

• 133 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 18:38

Yea that could be an interesting take on it.

Because it's not _impossible_ to overtake without drs. But sure is harder without it.

#37 Otaku

Otaku

• 1,715 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 21:12

Best way to use it is NOT to use it at all.

I've been recently watching late 80s and early 90s seasons (from around 86 to 92 currently, and going on) and remembering those times is amazing. Yes, there are not as many "overtakes" as today, but EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM IS LEGIT AND "DRIVER-EARNED". It was waaaay more exciting, cause you didn't know in which lap it would occur. Nowadays it's just "meh".

#38 FerrariV12

FerrariV12

• 934 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:40

Best way to use it is NOT to use it at all.

I've been recently watching late 80s and early 90s seasons (from around 86 to 92 currently, and going on) and remembering those times is amazing. Yes, there are not as many "overtakes" as today, but EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM IS LEGIT AND "DRIVER-EARNED". It was waaaay more exciting, cause you didn't know in which lap it would occur. Nowadays it's just "meh".

Great post, I've been doing likewise lately, just watched the '86 and '91 Spanish GPs last night, great racing throughout. I still can't get excited about a car opening up its rear wing and cruising by the car ahead. To be honest I found the 1990 Hungarian GP and closing laps of Monaco '92, without a single "overtake" for the lead, infinitely more exciting and intriguing than a car opening up its rear wing on the straight and driving past, which is about exciting as standing on a motorway bridge and watching as a sportscar drives past a family saloon in the outside lane.

#39 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 13:44

Smart Letterbox
- pops open automatically when postman or delivery man come
- able to distinguish post/delivery persons from robbers and any suspicious or irrelevant people
- automatically adjust the range of opening according to the size of envelope/parcel

Advertisement

#40 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 18:14

Go the FR3.5 route, give the drivers 100 seconds per race (only an example) to use when & where ever they want, bar maybe the odd corner for safety reasons ala Eau Rouge but otherwise its all on you, if you use it all up and are a sitting duck its your fault, you've had the same chance as the guy behind so its a little "fairer", if that exists.

#41 Otaku

Otaku

• 1,715 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 19:29

Smart Letterbox
- pops open automatically when postman or delivery man come
- able to distinguish post/delivery persons from robbers and any suspicious or irrelevant people
- automatically adjust the range of opening according to the size of envelope/parcel

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I almost got a heart attack.

#42 pdac

pdac

• 17,266 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 20:04

A button on the steering wheel that would operate someone else's DRS

#43 Blinkandimgone

Blinkandimgone

• 56 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 22:56

Go watch the cartoon then. :p

GvdG was the green shell in the Caterham last race, but DRS in Montreal is pointless. They shouldn't do it at each track. Everytime DRS is used, a puppy dies somewhere.;)

Watched something that was abit like the cartoon Wacky Races the 2005 season in with dick dastardly aka Jarno Trulli spent most of his time getting a good spot in qualifying and spent the races holding up faster cars because his race pace suffered. And as the aerodynamics are so finely tuned was pretty much impossible to overtake hence "the trulli train" drs has it's uses.