DRS for Silverstone

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,721 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:56

Silverstone @SilverstoneUK 17m
News just in!! We will have 2 DRS zones for the #BritishGP this year: Wellington Straight and Hangar Straight!

Advertisement

#2 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:19

woot.

#3 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:23

At least it's not on consecutive sections of the track.

#4 eddie66

eddie66

• 101 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 13:30

I think I will be sitting at Stowe this year they, will see a lot of cars side by side into the corner if the FIA get the activation point right

#5 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,452 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 13:46

Christ what a farce, having just one DRS zone was enough in both 2011 and 2012, with the right mix of cars being able to overtake (Webber on Alonso) and defend (Hamilton/Vettel and Hamilton/Massa), two like Canada will definitely be overkill, they are not even trying to pretend that it's about counteracting turbulent air anymore.

#6 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 13:54

Same thought.

Montreal was terrible, especially because of the single detection line.

#7 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 14:11

While not strictly on topic, tyre allocation for Silverstone is Medium and Hard

#8 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 14:22

Assuming we have a dry race... BIG assumption!

#9 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 482 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 14:28

I think I will be sitting at Stowe this year they, will see a lot of cars side by side into the corner if the FIA get the activation point right

Or the move is completed before the corner and overtaking cars pulls back on to the racing line before Stowe (sorry to piss on your parade, but it wouldn't surprise me)

#10 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 482 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 14:31

Silverstone @SilverstoneUK 17m
News just in!! We will have 2 DRS zones for the #BritishGP this year: Wellington Straight and Hangar Straight!

Hurrah!

Two artificial pass zones :clap:

#11 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 15:10

Yawn.

#12 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 17:56

Christ what a farce, having just one DRS zone was enough in both 2011 and 2012, with the right mix of cars being able to overtake (Webber on Alonso) and defend (Hamilton/Vettel and Hamilton/Massa), two like Canada will definitely be overkill, they are not even trying to pretend that it's about counteracting turbulent air anymore.

You can't compare it to Canada. There was only one detection point giving a driver 2 bites of the cherry there.

#13 LBDN

LBDN

• 799 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 18:09

I also agree about it being in consecutive places. That really does make the whole thing look more of a joke than it already is.

#14 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,452 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 18:49

You can't compare it to Canada. There was only one detection point giving a driver 2 bites of the cherry there.

I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear but my issue is with the number of zones, with the last two races at Silverstone having achieved a great compromise between defending and breezing past with just one drs zone; although one could certainly make the argument that having two consecutive activation zones is worse that having two at different points on a track with separate detection points.

#15 nosecone

nosecone

• 1,938 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 19:51

Or the move is completed before the corner and overtaking cars pulls back on to the racing line before Stowe (sorry to piss on your parade, but it wouldn't surprise me)

Yea i'm afraid of that too.

The FiA tends to make DRS zones rather too long than too short. (This is just my impression about the past two years)

At least no two too long DRS zones on two consecutive spots. (btw, this wouldn't be as bad as i believed when i wrote this ; just think about it how easy it would be to put a counterattack
edit3: but only if there are 2 detection points)

Edited by nosecone, 13 June 2013 - 19:57.

#16 encircled

encircled

• 901 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 20:51

FIA map

Posted Image

1st DRS zone is shorter than last year

Posted Image

Edited by encircled, 13 June 2013 - 21:07.

#17 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 21:10

Why do the detection points need to be so far from the activation points?

#18 dgsg

dgsg

• 631 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 22:23

Yeah! More artificial passing opportunities.

#19 Giz

Giz

• 734 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:51

Why do the detection points need to be so far from the activation points?

With the Hangar straight one I'd imagine its becuase you can't stay that close to the car in front through maggots and becketts the loss of front df is too great

Advertisement

#20 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,214 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:22

In my mind, the fact that we now have two DRS zones on most tracks was combined with the other rule change regerding DRS: the restriction of its use in practice and qualifying. To be honest, I preferred last year's rule more.

#21 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:47

With the Hangar straight one I'd imagine its becuase you can't stay that close to the car in front through maggots and becketts the loss of front df is too great

I can guarantee you, you can stay within 1 second of another car going through that section. Happens all the time.

I'm just wondering why the distance between the points is so long, can easily make a difference there of some tenths.

#22 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:37

Really don't know how in the 3rd season of DRS and with unpredictable tyres and plenty of overtaking, this two DRS zone per track idea is considered necessary.

#23 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,606 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 13:40

That's such a stupid decision, look how easily Webber took Alonso last year with one zone!

#24 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 14:05

That's such a stupid decision, look how easily Webber took Alonso last year with one zone!

That was because FA's tyres were shot.

#25 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 18:24

WE NEED THREE DRS ZONES

#26 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 23:44

Just three? What about every straight. With just 1 detection point of course, we do want to find out who can drive the slowest to win DRS.

#27 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:21

If you let them start using it from mid corner F1 would be amazing

#28 zztopless1

zztopless1

• 245 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:43

It was not an easy pass, despite Webber being significantly thanks to tyres. Alonso still nearly got him back at the following corner.

I think detection zone 2 will only come into play for passes when the car in-front is much slower, as Maggots/Beckett's will string them out.

#29 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 13:25

At least there are 2 detection zones at Silverstone giving the guy who is overtaken in the 1st zone to have a fight back in the subsequent zone.

#30 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 14:07

WE NEED THREE DRS ZONES

How about infinite DRS? Always open slot.

Or maybe we get rid of the rear wing altogether.

#31 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 18:13

How about infinite DRS? Always open slot.

Or maybe we get rid of the rear wing altogether.

Scrap DRS, mandate ultra low DF wings all around and unlimited KERS (in time of use and output). =D

By the way, Vettel hasn't won in Europe since Monza 2011. But I somehow feel Silverstone will be a Barcelona repeat with Alonso winning but with Vettel on the podium.

And you guys?

Edited by Atreiu, 17 June 2013 - 18:15.

#32 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 18:31

Scrap DRS, mandate ultra low DF wings all around and unlimited KERS (in time of use and output). =D

By the way, Vettel hasn't won in Europe since Monza 2011. But I somehow feel Silverstone will be a Barcelona repeat with Alonso winning but with Vettel on the podium.

And you guys?

That wouldn't surprise me... Alonso win and both Red Bulls on the podium maybe

#33 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,568 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 18:33

I don't actually think it will be that powerful this year. The first zone is shorter and it was short anyway, so the leading car should be able to pull away on traction to at least possibly neutralize the threat. The hangar straight zone will surely be ineffective because good luck staying within 6 tenths through maggots/Becketts. Unless drivers make mistakes or have shot tyres then it isn't likely to be that effective, but if that's true then there's no need for it in the first place.

#34 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,472 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 18:44

Grand Prix Racing has become Super Mario Kart racing. The only thing missing is the Sound, they should play Super Mario Kart music during the broadcast of F1 races. Press Button to overtake whewwwwww so exciting. The children love the great "show".

Posted Image

Edited by Kucki, 17 June 2013 - 19:11.

#35 FerrariV12

FerrariV12

• 934 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 13:13

In all seriousness I'd find DRS acceptable - great even - if its use was completely unlimited for all drivers all the time, including in the wet.

Deploy it too early coming off a corner you risk breaking traction and spinning - too late and you're vulnerable to anyone behind you. Would just be an extra control for the talented men behind the wheel to manage, like steering, throttle, brakes and (sort of) gears. Would a driver even be brave enough to risk it through a gentle high speed turn? In the same way that in the days of manual gearboxes a mis-timed shift could leave them vulnerable to either a pass or a blown engine. It'd even fit in with the whole "efficiency" ethos of the new formula, making all cars more aero efficient over the lap as a whole.

We'll never see it though of course, cars in forcibly different aerodynamic states driving past each other in a straight line is where the excitement is really at!!!

#36 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 15:31

In all seriousness I'd find DRS acceptable - great even - if its use was completely unlimited for all drivers all the time, including in the wet.

Deploy it too early coming off a corner you risk breaking traction and spinning - too late and you're vulnerable to anyone behind you. Would just be an extra control for the talented men behind the wheel to manage, like steering, throttle, brakes and (sort of) gears. Would a driver even be brave enough to risk it through a gentle high speed turn? In the same way that in the days of manual gearboxes a mis-timed shift could leave them vulnerable to either a pass or a blown engine. It'd even fit in with the whole "efficiency" ethos of the new formula, making all cars more aero efficient over the lap as a whole.

We'll never see it though of course, cars in forcibly different aerodynamic states driving past each other in a straight line is where the excitement is really at!!!

There's really no purpose in having unlimited DRS available to all drivers. That will just turn it into another version of KERS, except as there's no limitation the drivers will all use it at exactly the same time at the same places. It will be better to just scrap it.

#37 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 16:50

Good to know where the cars will be driving past each other this year.

There won't be any need for any actual overtaking in this race as the FIA have already decided the 2 spots for the cars to blast past each other. Good stuff.

#38 FerrariV12

FerrariV12

• 934 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:12

There's really no purpose in having unlimited DRS available to all drivers. That will just turn it into another version of KERS, except as there's no limitation the drivers will all use it at exactly the same time at the same places. It will be better to just scrap it.

They'd be using it all the time in the same places in the same way they use the steering, throttle and brakes at the same places, give or take a few fractions of a second to allow for driver judgement, reactions and car handling. That said I could rest very easy if it was scrapped altogether. I just think if we have it, there should be an element of skill and judgement involved, rather than to give the car behind a leg up.