Thunder in the holy land!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 solochamp07

solochamp07

• 502 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 16:51

Formula 1 Cars in Jerusalem

Tens of thousands of spectators have turned out to watch Formula 1 racing teams roar around the edge of Jerusalem's Old City.

A showcase event over the past two days featured the Ferrari and Marussia teams.

The mayor said the idea was to promote peace and bring together people of different faiths.

Ferrari test driver and three-time Grand Prix winner Giancarlo Fisichella delighted the crowds as he sped past the ancient city walls in his red F1 racing car.

Marussia's Rodolfo Gonzalez also took part as well as other international drivers and superbike and stunt riding champions.

Special stands were erected along main roads which were closed off to traffic to make a 2.8km (1.7 mile) race track. Cars reached speeds of up to 240km (150 miles) per hour.

Forget the big apple, how about this for a backdrop?!

Posted Image

More photographs and videos of the event

Unlikely as it may seem, a Grand Prix in the streets of Jerusalem has always been an obscure fantasy of mine. Never thought I'd live to actually see racing cars in this setting. For me, these images only reinforce the dream.

It's great to see motor racing being presented as a common interest between different people, in the interest of promoting peace and coexistence. The people in the crowd sure seemed to enjoy themselves!

So what do you say, Bernie? I know your last name is really Ecclestein. Time to channel your inner rabbi and grab this opportunity by the matzoh balls! :)

Advertisement

#2 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,226 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 19:35

It's great to see motor racing being presented as a common interest between different people, in the interest of promoting peace and coexistence.

Because that worked so well in Bahrain. :p

Speaking seriously, though, it seems like an interesting idea. I wonder how it would be received with the people there. My inner peace activist is weeping with joy at the prospect of this sort of turmoil being brought to a close through something I love almost more than anything: racing. :lol:

#3 holiday

holiday

• 3,473 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 21:05

I like the scenery with the old wall in the back. :up:

#4 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:36

F1 in Israel will be a big terrorist target. Massive security cost. And the only one making money will be Bernie.

Maybe he can unite Israel and Palestine out of resentment?

#5 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,244 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:07

Where's bira?
Jp

#6 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:13

Holding a race there would be as smart as holding the Olympics at Sochi.

#7 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:20

But it would be a photographer's dream!

The light in Jerusalem is very special and allows magnificent shots. Some say it is due to many of the buildings being clad in very light coloured "Jerusalem Stone" (a misnomer actually. Jerusalem stone is pinkish, The stone used is mostly from Hebron). I understand the British, during the Mandate, were behind buildings being clad thus. It was an obligation on builders, but I do not know why.

#8 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:14

My holy lands are at Indy and Spa, so we already have races at holy lands covered

#9 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,124 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:03

Agreed with this :up:

#10 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,125 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:59

Where's bira?
Jp

Where's Todd?

#11 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:22

Which car were Ferrari running? I don't recognize that nose.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by johnmhinds, 17 June 2013 - 10:23.

#12 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,124 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:32

Which car were Ferrari running? I don't recognize that nose.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's the F60. 2009 car

#13 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,826 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 17:00

There has never been a Formula 1 race in Israel but 43 years ago the non-championship Grand Prix of Israel for Formula 2 cars was scheduled to take place between 18 and 22 November 1970.

The Barnea Beach circuit comprised some streets laid out in advance of a new housing development in the city of Ashkelon. The race attracted a reasonably representative bunch of F2 racers, including both Brambilla brothers, Derek Bell, Patrick Depailler and Peter Westbury. Unfortunately, the organisers had originally planned to run the race on a Saturday - the Jewish Sabbath. Predictably, this enraged many Orthodox Jews and there were large scale protests, which, coupled with a complete lack of crowd control, led to the race being cancelled - though a Formula Vee race was run (albeit at reduced speed).

Posted Image Posted Image

#14 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 17:03

OK I've removed the political discussion from the thread and the opening post. Please keep this on the topic of motorsports rather tan the geopolitical climate. I appreciate that it may be difficult to do but if all you have to say includes a four-star expletive then maybe you're best keeping out.