Photo
- - - - -

Christian Horner honoured with OBE (Merged)

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,726 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 21:38

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/22902194

Given an OBE. Not seen it mentioned anywhere else on here.

Advertisement

#2 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 21:39

In the Queen's birthday honours: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/22902194

#3 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 21:42

Good for him, richly deserved :up:

#4 Barabas

Barabas

• 55 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 21:46

Congratulations and well deserved :up:
It's amazing how much Horner has achieved in motorsport at such a relatively young age

#5 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,070 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 21:46

For the future king pin of F1 it's a nifty title!

#6 g1n

g1n

• 894 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 21:57

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/22902194

Given an OBE. Not seen it mentioned anywhere else on here.

A bit too soon no? Why had Ross Brawn or Adrian Newey, Dennis not get one?

Edited by g1n, 14 June 2013 - 21:58.

#7 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 21:59

They have. Years ago.

#8 g1n

g1n

• 894 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 22:01

They have. Years ago.

oh my bad, still a bit too early for Horner I would have thought.

#9 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 22:04

Yeah Brawn only got his in 2010 and I think is far more influential in his various teams. Let's see what Christian Horner can do with someone like Sauber before we annoint him.

#10 chdphd

chdphd

• 2,800 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 22:24

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not a photoshop. The BBC showed him as Homer.

Edited by chdphd, 15 June 2013 - 12:15.

#11 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 22:30

Not a photoshop. The BBC showed him as Homer.

It's an easy mistake. Horner must of received it for services to moaning.

#12 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:28

Not being a British, is this a big deal getting an OBE?

#13 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:39

So is he "Sir Christian Horner" now?

#14 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,188 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:55

Two topics, took the one with the better title.

For info on what this may mean: http://en.wikipedia...._United_Kingdom

And to be clear, no, he is not Sir Christian Horner (that would make him a Knight- like Sir Jackie Stewart as an example). I believe he will be entitled to be referred to as Christian Horner, OBE.

note: To steal a quote from Clive James "OBE - Order of Bernie Ecclestone" :p

#15 Pothead4Philosopher

Pothead4Philosopher

• 542 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:12

It's an easy mistake. Horner must of received it for services to moaning.

Must have -- it is written 'must have' -- not 'must of', for the love of God. When you take upon yourself to disrespect others, at least make an effort to get it right. How difficult can such basic stuff be for a native speaker?

ADDED: Forgot to say congrats to CH. Well done.

Edited by Pothead4Philosopher, 15 June 2013 - 03:26.

#16 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:27

Yeah Brawn only got his in 2010 and I think is far more influential in his various teams. Let's see what Christian Horner can do with someone like Sauber before we annoint him.

Quite soon for Horner to get the OBE. Probably the Queen ran out of other suitable candidates. Or inflation has set in....

#17 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:29

Must have -- it is written 'must have' -- not 'must of', for the love of God. When you take upon yourself to disrespect others, at least make an effort to get it right. How difficult can such basic stuff be for a native speaker?

Many native speakers of seriously gone down in their use have the English tongue, methinks.

#18 Pothead4Philosopher

Pothead4Philosopher

• 542 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:33

Many native speakers of seriously gone down in their use have the English tongue, methinks.

:D

#19 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:50

I might get some flak for this, but... still no knighthood for John Surtees while Horner gets the OBE?

Advertisement

#20 katmen

katmen

• 823 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:18

I might get some flak for this, but... still no knighthood for John Surtees while Horner gets the OBE?

knighthood is only for politicians recently except sir bradley wiggins sir hoy, but they are running some of media approved charity....

congratulation Mr. Horner, OBE!

#21 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:25

He should pass it on to Newey.
I would be impressed if he had demonstrated his skill at several teams.
He's also not a unifying figure in the sport. I fail to see what he's honoured for.

Edited by Timstr11, 15 June 2013 - 07:28.

#22 kedia990

kedia990

• 433 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:30

Well Newey already has one, and it's not like Horner doesn't deserve it - to thrash the established racing marques like Ferrari, McLaren & Lotus (Renault) for 3 consecutive years is hugely impressive.

As much as I dislike the dominance of RBR & SV, any recognition they receive is undoubtedly well deserved and a huge :up: to them.

#23 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:32

He's also not a unifying figure in the sport. I fail to see what he's honoured for.

you mean he should pass it on to Adrian Newey, OBE?  ;) or is it just a parody of Vettel's detractors? in which case it is nicely done

congrats to Horner.

#24 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:34

Well Newey already has one, and it's not like Horner doesn't deserve it - to thrash the established racing marques like Ferrari, McLaren & Lotus (Renault) for 3 consecutive years is hugely impressive.

As much as I dislike the dominance of RBR & SV, any recognition they receive is undoubtedly well deserved and a huge :up: to them.

2 things:

The technical skill of Newey
The billions from Mateschitz. Nuff said.

I wan't to see him do things in difficult situations like a lack of funds or other difficult circumstances. Then I'll be impressed.

#25 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:03

Perhaps it was proposed but refused. Some nominees do refuse honours. Those who are nominated are contacted and asked if they will accept. Most do but not all.

#26 kedia990

kedia990

• 433 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:03

2 things:

The technical skill of Newey
The billions from Mateschitz.Nuff said.

I wan't to see him do things in difficult situations like a lack of funds or other difficult circumstances. Then I'll be impressed.

Hardly.

Lack of funds as in similar to the lack of funds faced by Ferrari, McLaren & Mercedes?
Difficult circumstances? When was the last time a team principal had to keep their WDC-topping drivers from killing each other on track and risk losing the WDC? Let me remind you - Ron Dennis in 2007. And he failed, quite miserably. Despite the Turkey/Silverstone fiasco in 2010, and the Malaysia fiasco in 2013, all is still well.
Despite the "technical skill of Newey", it was McLaren who had the fastest car during the majority of 2012. They didn't win either title. And don't throw the reliability excuse at me, Vettel had his fair share in 2010.
All this points to a great all-round management - development, strategies, pit stops, operations etc., and Horner is a critical part of said management.

#27 MarileneRiddle

MarileneRiddle

• 399 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:10

It seems like wherever Adrian is, there will be plenty who like to disregard those around him. Any praise for Rob Marshall?

In any case, great for Christian. I haven't always been his supporter, but I still think his OBE is well deserved. Good job! :up:

#28 windy1603

windy1603

• 70 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:16

OBE = Others Bloo*y Efforts

MBE = My Bloo*y Efforts

#29 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:31

Congrats to Christian Horner. Well deserved IMHO.......

Although a "Sir Adrian Newey" would have been also appropriate........

#30 TheThirdTenor1

TheThirdTenor1

• 882 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:36

So is he "Sir Christian Horner" now?

I don't think so. Only people who get a knighthood become sir.

Congratulations to him all the same. Domenicalli and Whitmarsh could learn a thing or two from him.

#31 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,298 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:26

A :up: to Horner. He's done a great job with RBR at such a young age.

#32 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:26

John Surtees OBE has a very unique place in the history books, but he has already an OBE the same as his contemporaries Jim Clark OBE and Graham Hill OBE who also have unique claims to recognition at least equal to John Surtees. In the post war era only Sir Stirling Moss OBE and Sir Jackie Stewart OBE are the only british drivers to have been awarded Knighthoods in both cases I suspect the knighthood awards were more for being what the media luvvies now call "national treasures" than their sporting achievements.
Sir Jack Brabham OBE AO has also been knighted but he was uniquely not only a championship winning driver and constructor but a major figure in Australian national sporting history.
Personally if anybody in UK motor sport should get a Knighthood it should be Ron Denis, Denis may not be an easy figure to like but his his achievements in F1 and road car project are immense.

Edited by britishtrident, 15 June 2013 - 10:31.

#33 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,644 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:37

John Surtees OBE has a very unique place in the history books, but he has already an OBE the same as his contemporaries Jim Clark OBE and Graham Hill OBE who also have unique claims to recognition at least equal to John Surtees

But dead people can't be knighted.

I think he deserves a knighthood for the 1959 Senior TT alone :) but add in his immense double career and his recent charitable work, and it should be a no brainer.

#34 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:01

1) It was half 12 at night, and I was about to go to bed :p 2) Where I come from it's correct anyway

#35 ebc

ebc

• 438 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:04

Horner deserves the OBE maybe more, infact if you look at some of the recipients of Knighthoods over the years he would be more deserving than many. F1 is the toughest sport in the world and the team he manages is dominating, when you look at managers from other sports like Sir Bobby Robson or Sir Alex Ferguson then Horners achievements on an international scale outweigh theirs.

I think Adrian Newey also deserves a Knighthood, as does Surtees, Ron Dennis and a few others within F1.

It seems Olympic sports get more recognition with regards to these honours which is strange. Take the cyclists like Wiggens and Hoy, do they deserve a Knighthood for what they did? I don't think so. How is winning the Tour de France a greater achievement than what Surtees did.

#36 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:14

I think the Red Bull job is easier than running other F1 teams. Being a football manager is far far more meritocratic compared to F1.

#37 Macca

Macca

• 3,726 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:20

So a team manager gets a gong - not a team founder, not a designer of technical brilliance, not a winning driver. What next - gong for Whitmarsh? :p Cheapens the whole system....

And still nothing for Surtees - :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: suppose the pointy-heads in Whitehall think they'll get kudos by giving a gong to someone who's on TV every other Sunday.

#38 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:21

OBE = Others Bloo*y Efforts

MBE = My Bloo*y Efforts

MBEs: For those who score seven runs.

#39 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,298 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:26

So a team manager gets a gong - not a team founder, not a designer of technical brilliance, not a winning driver.

Which team founders, designers or winning drivers do you think deserve one who haven't got one already?

Frank Williams is a knight
Ron Dennis is a CBE
Adrian Newey is an OBE
Ross Brawn is an OBE
Lewis Hamilton is an MBE
Jenson Button is an MBE

I agree that John Surtees is long overdue but I struggle to think of anyone else that has been left out. Maybe Dario Franchitti?

Advertisement

#40 03011969

• 656 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:37

Bernie will never receive a gong, of course, but I think it would be hilarious to see him given one.

Perhaps some kind of No.10 petition for Surtees to be properly recognised?

Edited by 3011969, 15 June 2013 - 12:38.

#41 Pothead4Philosopher

Pothead4Philosopher

• 542 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:39

1) It was half 12 at night, and I was about to go to bed :p 2) Where I come from it's correct anyway

Well, it isn't. Never was. That folks have lost the ability to have even the most basic comprehension skills regarding their native language and its grammar is another issue altogether. I'll spare you my more direct thoughts on it, as that would not be a very nice read.

You seemed to have missed my initial point though, disrespecting people in a manner you did is just plain classless. Try to pick yourself up a notch, buddy. You know, as in give and get, it'll make you feel better in the long run.

For the record: English isn't my native language, it is one of the secondary ones I use, next to Dutch and French. My native tongue is Finnish. Impress me....

;-))

#42 Kop Alonso

Kop Alonso

• 312 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 13:36

Christian Horner OBE = Order of Bernie Ecclestone.

#43 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 14:02

It seems Olympic sports get more recognition with regards to these honours which is strange. Take the cyclists like Wiggens and Hoy, do they deserve a Knighthood for what they did? I don't think so. How is winning the Tour de France a greater achievement than what Surtees did.

Winning the Tour de France takes incredible skill, perseverance and a lifetime of training (and for some a sack full of needles). I would certainly say Wiggans achievements are at least on par with Surtees.

You'll want to remember the fact that the majority of the awards are decided by a committee. The better known athletes will always have a better chance at recieving awards, because the committee members are more likely to be personally aware of their achievements.

Bernie will never receive a gong, of course, but I think it would be hilarious to see him given one.

Bernie turned one down apparently.

Well, it isn't. Never was. That folks have lost the ability to have even the most basic comprehension skills regarding their native language and its grammar is another issue altogether. I'll spare you my more direct thoughts on it, as that would not be a very nice read.

You seemed to have missed my initial point though, disrespecting people in a manner you did is just plain classless. Try to pick yourself up a notch, buddy. You know, as in give and get, it'll make you feel better in the long run.

For the record: English isn't my native language, it is one of the secondary ones I use, next to Dutch and French. My native tongue is Finnish. Impress me....

;-))

Hehe, if you were British you would realise some of us from the countryside don't talk that good ;)

Also, I should apologise as I left off the sarcasm tags on the original post. It's never easy to tell whether someone is being serious or not on the internet.

I do question however rewarding him an OBE, as I don't believe his achievements yet merit that reward. Perhaps an MBE would of been more appropriate.

Edited by Fastcake, 15 June 2013 - 14:03.

#44 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,066 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 14:02

Very strange how F1 personnel can blatantly cheat against the spirit of the rules multiple times even after being caught and still get honored for it.

I'm sure in any other sport you get stripped of honors for that kind of thing.

#45 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 14:03

How many times have Red Bull been disqualified?

#46 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,066 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 14:32

How many times have Red Bull been disqualified?

How many times was Lance Armstrong disqualified while active?

What would of happened if they had photo's and videos of Lance doping during competition? The same as photo's and videos of RBR wings flexing beyond allowable limits for months on end?
They both passed the required tests. "The spirit of the sport" gets tread upon more in F1 than it ever could in any other sport to the point where it is not only acceptable but now it's honorable?

#47 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,644 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 14:35

What would of happened

Potential Pothead Provocation.

#48 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 14:39

How many times was Lance Armstrong disqualified while active?

What would of happened if they had photo's and videos of Lance doping during competition? The same as photo's and videos of RBR wings flexing beyond allowable limits for months on end?
They both passed the required tests. "The spirit of the sport" gets tread upon more in F1 than it ever could in any other sport to the point where it is not only acceptable but now it's honorable?

You don't understand F1, cycling, or the UK honours system.

#49 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 14:49

Perhaps it was proposed but refused. Some nominees do refuse honours. Those who are nominated are contacted and asked if they will accept. Most do but not all.

True ... a mate of mine turned down one in this last go round... told them he did not see the point. He is a little bit eccentric but I was still I quite surprised by what he did.... he said that that the chap who contacted him told him that it happens all the time and as its not a philosophical objection they might come back to him again in a couple of years time to see if he has changed his mind.

Edited by jjcale, 15 June 2013 - 14:50.

#50 PassWind

PassWind

• 7,319 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 14:52

Well in context he did more with a Team not on Saubers level. he built the team, he attracted the likes of Newey. Money doesn't make a instant team winning combination or else Toyota and Honda would've won everything.