* * * * * 1 votes

Global engines

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 14:43

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/108297 - Renault Formula 1 V6 could be used as Alpine LMP1 engine

The story reminded of when Max Mosley, or someone else, proposed a global engine that could be tuned and detuned to be used in several racing categories from F1 down the order. I always thought it was a good idea because it could get manufacturers involved in more categories without driving costs upwards throughout the entire scale. Even better, perhaps it could help spread the costs of engine development in the long term.

That's what I thought but I also remember the idea being shot down by folks here.

So, basically, what did I miss that makes the Global Engine a bad idea?

Advertisement

#2 Beamer

Beamer

• 3,401 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 14:51

Nahhh...

Could be a cost saver that enables more entrants into more categories, that would be good.

But it would kinda kill the 'pinnacle of motorsports' claim of F1... I want F1 engines to be unique and cutting edge. Otherwise F1 will just be LMP1's without the rooftop.... Or LMP1's will be F1 with a rooftop, whatever....
Just switch the bodywork and go!

#3 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 15:04

It hasn't been the pinnacle with rev capped frozen V8s... How long will the 2014 engines be allowed to develop before another freeze kicks in?

#4 sergeym

sergeym

• 610 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 15:18

I guess issue is making engine that meets requirements of completely different series. For example Le Mans engine naturally must be much more reliable that F1 engine.

#5 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,747 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 19:11

It hasn't been the pinnacle with rev capped frozen V8s... How long will the 2014 engines be allowed to develop before another freeze kicks in?

2018. That's already been decided.

#6 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 19:17

There is a (mostly reasonable) hate of anything approaching a spec series in professional racing. We can apparently live with engines that are 99.9% the same already, but to have literally the same engine in every car seems to be a step too far.

I think there's more important **** that different forms of racing need to agree on. Like the fact there are 9000 classes for Sports Cars.

#7 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 1,278 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:18

Cost saving? Yes maybe. But you also get less development and less variety. I want to see some creative engineering, good ideas, mind-blowing concepts.
Now that so many series switch and even supercars/hypercars switch to hybrid I want to see some development in that regard. There is a lot of potential in these kind of systems, since we are advancing in different areas.
Maybe a bit of wishful thinking on my side.

Also from a racing point of view, I would say it's more exciting to see more variety instead of some "rehashed" version of the same engine over and over again. Might even benefit some drivers.

#8 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 13:07

It doesnt intefere with development, which would happen in F1 obviously, not GP2 and/or F3.

#9 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 1,278 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 17:40

It doesnt intefere with development, which would happen in F1 obviously, not GP2 and/or F3.

Since OP mentioned the LMP1 i would guess a global engine would be for more than just these kind of cars. Could be wrong though.

#10 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 18:19

But it would kinda kill the 'pinnacle of motorsports' claim of F1... I want F1 engines to be unique and cutting edge.

What's unique or cutting edge about high revving, normally aspirated, gasoline burning engines? Pre-2014 F1 engines were just louder and more expensive than other series.