* - - - - 2 votes

Rosberg Button Used During Cornering

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tulerian

Tulerian

• 27 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 22:37

Does anyone know what the large button on the upper left of Rosbergs steering wheel is for? I noticed during the on-board during qualifying that he was holding this only during cornering, and releasing again on the straights.

I can't think of what this could be doing, as most every driver operated device has been banned bar brake bias, diff settings, fuel mixes etc. None of those should be button operated during cornering as far as I recall, for instance where they might be doing something related to torque limiting, or engine map changes in any way. Confused...

Advertisement

#2 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:22

Got a link to a video or images? There are images of the racing wheels available so could be possible to work it out.

Is it possible to have specific brake bias or diff setting on a button rather than a dial, for example, or are the adjustment mechanisms legislated for in the tech regs?

#3 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:22

The red one? That's KERS. They usually use it to accelerate out of certain corners, not on the straights.

Posted Image

#4 Tulerian

Tulerian

• 27 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:21

Thanks, it is the boost button.

He's just using it in a very different way to what I would expect. For the most part Rosberg uses it from the apex to the exit curb, then releases it as soon as he exits the corner.

#5 handel

handel

• 445 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:37

Kers is said to work best at lower speeds, and naturally if you think about it you would want to deploy it as soon as possible so you feel the benefit of it for as long as possible down the straight.

Hamilton probably does the same - but I'm not sure if it's his Kers or DRS that's pedal operated. He certainly has a different setup to Rosberg that more closely copies his one at McLaren.

#6 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 11,318 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 14:56

Rosberg is just addicted to leave his finger on the KERS button after he has run out of energy for the lap.

#7 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,758 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 19:35

I got really confused by the title. Should it not be Button Rosberg Used During Cornering? I had visions of Jenson having a voodoo doll of Kekinho that he stabbed in the ribs whenever he turned the wheel.

#8 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 00:25

Hamilton probably does the same - but I'm not sure if it's his Kers or DRS that's pedal operated. He certainly has a different setup to Rosberg that more closely copies his one at McLaren.

There was a thing on formula1.com a few weeks back comparing Rosberg & Hamilton's wheels. Might help with the answer to that. I know they were different.

Is it just me or does it seem illogical to have the NEUTRAL button so close to the KERS??

#9 Rybo

Rybo

• 366 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:17

There was a thing on formula1.com a few weeks back comparing Rosberg & Hamilton's wheels. Might help with the answer to that. I know they were different.

Is it just me or does it seem illogical to have the NEUTRAL button so close to the KERS??

Reverse and Neutral can't be selected when te car is in motion. Not to mention that the neutral button has to be on the steering wheel for easy selection by the track marshalls.