* * - - - 4 votes

Cars not reaching the paddock at the end of a race

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 panzani

panzani

• 18,732 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 17:56

Well, perhaps this was the subject of another of the thousands threads that arouse during/after each GP, but if a car can not manage to reach the paddock isn't that car subject of investigations? How many cars/drivers have been subject of this very simple rule in the past? Oddly, there's not a single line neither in autosport nor here regarding that event at all (I must add I don't follow RC that much to be sure). Either that car had an actual problem or that car would be disqualified is the rule, afaik. Was it lack of fuel or not? Or just the usual all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others? I have to add I haven't the foggiest, as long as nobody even cited it! :confused:

Advertisement

#2 froggy22

froggy22

• 807 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 17:58

Only in Qualifying, i believe

#3 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 18:06

there is no requirement for the car to reach park ferme under its own power after the race. There is a requirement for all the cars to reach park ferme and provide a fuel sample of one litre after qualifying

#4 nosecone

nosecone

• 1,938 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 18:29

Only in Qualifying, i believe

i think so too.

#5 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 18:35

They still have to have enough fuel for sample after the race.

#6 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 18:38

They still have to have enough fuel for sample after the race.

Yup, which is why Alonso likely shut it off when he did.

But unlike qualifying, there is no worry about trying to gain advantage. They simply have to make minimum weight and ensure the fuel used was of legal composition.

#7 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 18:43

Rule-wise, it's been covered by those before me.
Consider that predicting the fuel usage over one flat-out 3 mile lap, and two slower in/out laps, is about 60 times easier then predicting fuel usage over a race.

#8 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 22:35

Rule-wise, it's been covered by those before me.
Consider that predicting the fuel usage over one flat-out 3 mile lap, and two slower in/out laps, is about 60 times easier then predicting fuel usage over a race.

Even so, they were a long way off given that they must have been trying to cover off the possibility of a SC-free race. They're proabably the only team not complaining about what happened to Webber - those extra 3 or 4 unnecessary SC laps probably made Alonso's race, otherwise he'd have had to coast the last stint just to make it home. An example of Alonso's pace and tyre management exceeding Ferrari's expectations, perhaps?

#9 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 23:02

Not the first time that FA stopped on his slow down lap at the 'Ring and :D

There was a wild discussion over this on this site some time ago started by an obsessed Ferrari fan who wanted - I guess- Hamilton or Vettel DQ'd for not completing the additional lap at some later occasion and then got confronted with this example  ;)

#10 panzani

panzani

• 18,732 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 19:42

Thanks, scheivlak.

#11 WitnessX

WitnessX

• 1,646 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:45

Just to clarify:

http://www.formula1....ulations/12877/

Force majeure
The ‘force majeure’ allowance relating to when a car stops on the track during qualifying has been deleted from the regulations. For 2013 any car that stops on the track must have enough fuel for the mandatory one-litre minimum sample plus an additional amount proportional to the amount of fuel that would have been used in returning to the pits (determined by the FIA).