* * * - - 3 votes

Alonso´s future after 2014

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
88 replies to this topic

#1 tomisumi

tomisumi

• 251 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 21:48

DC in his BBC column said - "He is 32 this year. He has still has five or so years left at the very top level, perhaps a bit more, but if Ferrari cannot get it together soon he is going to have think about his future there."

His contract with Ferrari ends after 2016 I think. And 7 years in a top team without title is...enough. But what possibilities are there for him? RB seems to be full for few seasons (Kimi you know), McLaren no way, ...

My crazy tip is Mercedes with Hamilton alongside :lol: (yes I remembered 07)

But don´t forget 2014 engine changes, everything is possible...

Your expectations?

Edited by tomisumi, 09 July 2013 - 22:01.

Advertisement

#2 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,483 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 21:52

DC in his BBC column said - "He is 32 this year. He has still has five or so years left at the very top level, perhaps a bit more, but if Ferrari cannot get it together soon he is going to have think about his future there."

His contract with Ferrari ends after 2014 I think. And 5 years in a top team without title is...enough. But what possibilities are there for him? RB seems to be full for few seasons (Kimi you know), McLaren no way, ...

Your expectations?

His contract ends in 2016...

#3 g1n

g1n

• 894 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 21:54

His contract ends in 2016...

Then retirement I am 100% certain. Regardless of what happens between now and the chequered flag at the end of 2016 season.

Edited by g1n, 09 July 2013 - 21:56.

#4 Blackmore

Blackmore

• 152 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 21:57

First off, he is still in the title hunt this year so nothing is wrong there. People are exaggerating Vettel's lead because of sour grapes mainly.

Alonso should and probably will stay at Ferrari until their contract ends. 2014 has so many changes, no one knows which team will be best (although many claim the Mercedes engine will be superior without even seeing, hearing it).

However, Ferrari is known to drop drivers because they found a replacement, no matter what they say in public. The fact Alonso vetoes Vettel joining up while he is in Ferrari may be the tipping point for Ferrari to get rid of Alonso like they got rid of Prost, Schumacher, Kimi. The BBC article claiming Alonso has it written specifically that he does not want to be teamed up with Vettel:

But sources close to Ferrari now say the Spaniard and the team renegotiated their agreement towards the end of last season and that one of Alonso's demands was that they not sign Vettel alongside him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...la-one/21305374

Edited by Blackmore, 09 July 2013 - 21:58.

#5 tomisumi

tomisumi

• 251 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 21:59

OMG, my fault...i have read somewhere on local F1 site that his contract ends after 2014...

Topic should be renamed, or deleted...

Edited by tomisumi, 09 July 2013 - 22:02.

#6 TheThirdTenor1

TheThirdTenor1

• 882 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 22:10

He'll stay at Ferrari, mainly because he has nowhere else to go.

He burnt his bridges at Mclaren. Dr. Marko pretty much hates him. Ditto for Eric Boullier. Maybe Mercedes might be a possiblity (Brawn has previously said he would like to work with Alonso) but they seem quite happy with their current driver line up.

#7 FerrariFanInTexas

FerrariFanInTexas

• 1,157 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 22:12

OMG, my fault...i have read somewhere on local F1 site that his contract ends after 2014...

Topic should be renamed, or deleted...

Deletion seems like a harsh remedy to getting the title wrong, don't you think? Don't be so hard on yourself!

#8 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 22:13

He'll go to Mercedes. They could easily have the best car even next year with the new engines. He won't want to go to RBR to drive against Kimi as Vettel's replacement while Vettel is at Ferrari.

#9 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 5,386 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 22:16

I think Ferrari will kick him out and take Vettel for 2016. That's how Ferrari treat their drivers. I think Alonso will retire after 2015.

Edited by Mc_Silver, 09 July 2013 - 22:28.

#10 Arry2k

Arry2k

• 424 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 22:22

His contract with Ferrari ends after 2016 I think. And 7 years in a top team without title is...enough. But what possibilities are there for him? RB seems to be full for few seasons (Kimi you know), McLaren no way, ...

Your expectations?

The trouble for Alonso is that he really has nowhere to go.

Red Bull? As long as Red Bull have Vettel, they don't need him. Yes, it seems they are courting Kimi, but Kimi doesn't come with the political baggage that Alonso does i.e. number 1 status etc.

McLaren? No, simply no.

Mercedes? Yes they have some technical big dogs there, but I doubt their long term consistency. I suspect it wouldn't be far removed from his current situation at Ferrari - a step sideways rather than up if you will.

Lotus? Not sure. I am not sure what the long term financial situation is and consequently Arn't they massively in debt? I know someone bought into the team recently but not sure how well that shores them up.

At this moment in time, I don't think any of the teams would offer him a chance of wining a GP let alone a WDC.

Therefore Ferrari probably remains his best hope for WDC, and there he will remain till he gets the elbow and retires.

Edited by Arry2k, 09 July 2013 - 22:24.

#11 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 22:26

Lotus? Not sure. I am not sure what the long term financial situation is and consequently Arn't they massively in debt? I know someone bought into the team recently but not sure how well that shores them up.

Not saying that it's going to happen, but Santander is just the thing Lotus needs, so Alonso is a perfect driver for them. If they can get him, they should. With money, Lotus might achieve a lot.

#12 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 22:27

2016 is a long way away, Alonso will be 35 and while that's by no means old, however these days drivers get into F1 pretty much straight out of highschool. If he has won a third championship he might elect to retire or maybe race another couple of seasons for Ferrari. If he hasn't won a championship by then he might get "retired" a la Schumacher by LdM. I honestly think it highly unlikely that Alonso will move to another team.

#13 tomisumi

tomisumi

• 251 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 22:35

Deletion seems like a harsh remedy to getting the title wrong, don't you think? Don't be so hard on yourself!

thx for support :D

...Alonso is 31, at the end of 2016 will be 35...that might be chance for last title shot at Merc (or wherever) or he´ll retire...but I don´t think that he has still "five or more years at the top level", as DC said...

Edited by tomisumi, 09 July 2013 - 22:36.

#14 Arry2k

Arry2k

• 424 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 22:45

Not saying that it's going to happen, but Santander is just the thing Lotus needs, so Alonso is a perfect driver for them. If they can get him, they should. With money, Lotus might achieve a lot.

Good point, hadn't considered that angle. However, I feel that Lotus need money now, not in say a year or two when hypothetically when Alonso might want or need to leave. The money would, IMO, be too little too late.

But also, I think that sometimes too much is made of the Santander/Alonso link. They aren't in the business to bankroll whichever team Alonso is driving for. They are a business which is operating in sector that has become somewhat rather more watched/sensitive of late.

#15 Lennat

Lennat

• 2,063 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 23:00

Actually, if he has a fallout with Ferrari and Mclaren feel like their drivers arent' completely up to scratch, I could see him going back. They might need each other in such a case.;)

#16 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,543 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 23:04

But that is his old team, Enstone, he went there in 2008-2009 after his glory years of 2003-2006 where he got wins and of course, two WDC.

I don't think he is going there.

Ferrari it is... until he retires.

#17 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 00:03

Ferrari will be his last team, he stated that in an interview iirc.

Edited by MikeV1987, 10 July 2013 - 00:03.

#18 beute

beute

• 1,357 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 00:14

Kimi said the same ;)

#19 Ragingjamaican

Ragingjamaican

• 1,001 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 00:15

Santander didn't seem to follow him to Renault, I know they were with McLaren, but they sponsored both Ferrari and McLaren once Alonso joined Ferrari.

Advertisement

#20 Sausage

Sausage

• 1,820 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:11

Unless Ferrari feels he messes up a season that should've been won then I don't see him out any time soon. Easy going to 2020 imho. As for him leaving on his own, the chance is amazingly small. He seems to like the team and people and being at Ferrari garantuees a good chance of a WDC-car (easier sponsorship for them and thus can buy good people) and well fame and fortune. Also he'll probably gets to help pick his own teammate, what's not to love?

#21 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:40

Ferrari, who have kept Massa despite not winning a race for almost half a decade?

They're going to keep him because only Hamilton is proven to be equal, and he isn't available. Kimi almost lost his career thanks to Ferrari, and Vettel is an RBR baby.

#22 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:12

Kimi said the same ;)

http://www.f1fanatic...career-ferrari/

#23 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:06

Correct !

Fernando also said: I will quit when I have won my 3:rd WDC with Ferrari.

It's no point in this thread :o

#24 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,124 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:08

Fernando won't leave Ferrari.

Ferrari won't let Fernando leave unless they are able to hire either Vettel or Hamilton.

If so then Fernando will retire after 2016.

#25 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:21

When 2014 turns out to be another bad season, Ferrari will fire Alonso. It is their usual operating way, if things go bad, fire a scape goat. And a driver is alyes a good scape goat.

#26 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,900 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:55

Contract till 2016 plus 1 extra year if some clauses are met, he is happy in Ferrari, Ferrari is happy with him, there is no reason to leave Ferrari at all. And yes he is not winning titles but I think he knows that the best place to be if you are not winning titles is Ferrari because they will give you the chance to fight for them very often, other teams don't give you that chance.

Of course F1 is a crazy sport and everything can happen.

#27 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:13

When 2014 turns out to be another bad season, Ferrari will fire Alonso. It is their usual operating way, if things go bad, fire a scape goat. And a driver is alyes a good scape goat.

I am not an Alonso fan, but if Ferrari believes that another driver can help them, shouldn't they think about replacing Massa first?

The thought of Massa staying while Schumacher, Kimi and Alonso leave is interesting though.  ;)

Edited by apoka, 10 July 2013 - 07:14.

#28 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:36

I am not an Alonso fan, but if Ferrari believes that another driver can help them, shouldn't they think about replacing Massa first?

The thought of Massa staying while Schumacher, Kimi and Alonso leave is interesting though. ;)

It is not logical, I know. But driver decisions at Ferrari are rarely logical. A few words of unhappiness by Alonso and 2 faults by him and the Italian press will target him.

#29 fastdriver

fastdriver

• 575 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:51

The thought of Massa staying while Schumacher, Kimi and Alonso leave is interesting though. ;)

Good point.

#30 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:03

macca

#31 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:13

What's going to happen to Alonso in 2015?

I'm still trying to figure out what shirt I am wearing today much less what Fernando will do in 15.

#32 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,219 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:02

I think bar the Kimi-to-Red-Bull move, the top drivers are sort of in limbo at the moment because not only they're all contracted, nobody wants to make a move until they watch how '14 plays out with the new regs. I can imagine Alonso getting fed up of 5 years in a team with no titles if next year's Ferrari turns out to be a dud. The problem is there's no exit strategy apart from a straight swap with Vettel or Hamilton, and those moves would be difficult to coordinate, even more so if he really has a contract that runs into '16. Am afraid a lot of cards would have to fall perfectly for Alonso to move.

#33 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:28

He'll continue with Ferrari until F1 retirement or forced into F1 retirement to make way for another top driver a la the case of Schumacher.

But he'll finish his F1-career with Ferrari. Nowhere else to go.

#34 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:30

Doubt they can. For the same reason they're not going to fire Massa -- Santander. Alosno and Massa are the two drivers in F1 who are from Santander's two biggest markets -- Spain and Brazil. The whole purpose of sponsoring F1 teams is marketing. Supporting foreign drivers in an already foreign team would do much less for them unless it was in maybe tertiary market like UK. But for those markets they do smaller sponsorships, like McL's.

#35 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 6,821 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:31

I think Ferrari will kick him out and take Vettel for 2016. That's how Ferrari treat their drivers. I think Alonso will retire after 2015.

If they treat their drivers like disposable products then why has Massa been able to stay for so long?

The issue with Kimi was that he wasn't delivering and seemed disinterested.
Schumacher was coming to his end anyway.

#36 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:00

What's going to happen to Alonso in 2015?

I'm still trying to figure out what shirt I am wearing today much less what Fernando will do in 15.

Yeah, but now, way in advance, is the right, and only, time people can dwell in their dream scenarios what bad stuff could happen to Alonso in the future. ;)

Edited by as65p, 10 July 2013 - 10:01.

#37 icewest07

icewest07

• 220 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:01

If they treat their drivers like disposable products then why has Massa been able to stay for so long?

The issue with Kimi was that he wasn't delivering and seemed disinterested.
Schumacher was coming to his end anyway.

Obviously there is a contradiction here, if you compare their respective results (even with the relative expectations) ...
There was something else behind the fallout between Ferrari & Kimi... But we are not going through it again ;)

Anyway as 2ms said, it's more about Santader and their Marketing strategy... so i doubt Alonso is going anywhere, as well as Felipe (unless he really goes ****** driving)

Edited by icewest07, 10 July 2013 - 10:02.

#38 tomisumi

tomisumi

• 251 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:45

Contract till 2016 plus 1 extra year if some clauses are met, he is happy in Ferrari, Ferrari is happy with him, there is no reason to leave Ferrari at all. And yes he is not winning titles but I think he knows that the best place to be if you are not winning titles is Ferrari because they will give you the chance to fight for them very often, other teams don't give you that chance.

Of course F1 is a crazy sport and everything can happen.

Ehm, he was criticizing them in the past, he is criticizing them now...maybe one time it will be enough for him...it´s little bit sick that top team with lot of money and with top driver hasn´t won WDC yet (2010 - 2013)

#39 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,900 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:11

Ehm, he was criticizing them in the past, he is criticizing them now...

Nothing close to criticizing them, in fact, so far he has shown nothing but unlimited pacience with the team, as it should be because they are together in this business. If you want to believe other thing your are free to do it :)

Advertisement

#40 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:54

maybe Ferrari needs a german again to win a championship :p

dunno I somehow can't imagine Alonso to go to another team after Ferrari

Edited by Sin, 10 July 2013 - 11:55.

#41 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,745 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:00

If they don't deliver championships I can't see him being happy with just the 2 and if there is a chance to collect more I think he will take it.

#42 Higli

Higli

• 262 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 13:07

And my glas bowl is telling me that the German will be Hülkenberg and not Vettel.

#43 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 14:21

Why is this topic called Alonso's future after 2014? As far as I know he's got a contract until 2016. He'll be 35 at that age, and I don't believe he'll have the motivation to start a new project with a different team at that time. Especially if he hasn't won a title in his Ferrari years.

#44 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 14:33

And my glas bowl is telling me that the German will be Hülkenberg and not Vettel.

Oh god I hope so.... I don't want Seb in Ferrari... he should stay with RB 4ever, cause they are actually likable

Alonsos newest quotes on this topic: "Every great champion should drive for Ferrari. This also applies to Seb" "I think Seb & I both respect each other very much & for the team [Ferrari] it would be good if we both go together."

Edited by Sin, 10 July 2013 - 14:34.

#45 encircled

encircled

• 901 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 14:37

Oh god I hope so.... I don't want Seb in Ferrari... he should stay with RB 4ever, cause they are actually likable

Alonsos newest quotes on this topic: "Every great champion should drive for Ferrari. This also applies to Seb" "I think Seb & I both respect each other very much & for the team [Ferrari] it would be good if we both go together."

What's the source please on that quote? Thanks.

#46 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 14:39

What's the source please on that quote? Thanks.

I got it from twitter... but googling it I found this

http://www.motorspor...ife-at-ferrari/

I just asked on twitter where the second quote is from, maybe the sport bild too.... which I dont have so I wouldn't know

edit: found something googling in german

http://www.focus.de/...id_1039560.html

that's exactly it, that's where the quote is from, sportbild... which is quoted here by focus

Edited by Sin, 10 July 2013 - 14:45.

#47 encircled

encircled

• 901 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 14:41

I got it from twitter... but googling it I found this

http://www.motorspor...ife-at-ferrari/

Thanks again.

#48 yr

yr

• 6,007 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 14:52

Well, their last champion was actually Finnish. So, Bottas might be the solution. Or perhaps taking Kimi back doing the job?

Edited by yr, 10 July 2013 - 14:53.

#49 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 16:47

Well, their last champion was actually Finnish. So, Bottas might be the solution. Or perhaps taking Kimi back doing the job?

Calm down, Massa.

#50 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 17:14

Alonso will leave Ferrari when Santander is out and Vettel will replace him. If Ferrari had the freedom, they would have replaced Massa with Vettel a long time ago. But they don't.