- - - - -

Reason for the new front tyres?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:38

Let´s not slide into conspiracy theories, please. I just want to know what was the reason for the change, if Pirelli made any statement of anything explaining it.

I´m curious about the reasons behind this change. Everyone and his dog will agree the rear tyres were unsafe after the Silverstone events, and that the change was made for safety purposes, and it was needed. But I don´t remember the fronts failing at all, was there any problem with them?

Advertisement

#2 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,236 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:41

Let´s not slide into conspiracy theories, please. I just want to know what was the reason for the change, if Pirelli made any statement of anything explaining it.

I´m curious about the reasons behind this change. Everyone and his dog will agree the rear tyres were unsafe after the Silverstone events, and that the change was made for safety purposes, and it was needed. But I don´t remember the fronts failing at all, was there any problem with them?

Because tyres generally come as a set

#3 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:41

There was none and can't understan the reason as the tyres used at germany were perfect. Now Hembery even admitted pecking order will likely to be changed in colder temperatures...and they will even bring hards and meds to next races.

#4 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:44

You already can see this now. FI went from nearly fighting for a podium on the original spec 2013 tires, to fighting for points with the more durable 2013 to being beaten by Williams with the 2012 spec. (Merc is the other extreme) The tires will change the outcome of the season completely, for the smaller teams it must have become quite frustrating.

#5 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:47

Because tyres generally come as a set

In Germany they used the 2013 fronts with the revised rears. Everything went OK and no one was even hinting a change.

And front and rear tyres have always been different in size, pressure, compouns, width, thread (number of grooves when they weren´t slicks).