239 replies to this topic

#1 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 15:08

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Scott Dixon might possibly be the best driver in the world. He is an absolute superstar. Gets the results in what could be argued the most competitive series in the world of motorsport.

Also with wins in Grand-Am, at the 24 Hours of Daytona. Destroyed all comers in Indy Lights at the young age of 20. And if not for Williams giving him a a dog of a car in 2004, the landscape of IndyCar might be a little bit different.

Just take a look at his stats at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. In 8 previous starts in IndyCar/CART he has been unquestionably the most dominate driver with 4 wins, 1 pole (poles are not Dixie's strong suit), and 5 podiums. While Dixon has been successful on most venues on the schedule, he seems to become a man possessed at the Lexington, Ohio circuit. No driver in the history of major open wheel racing at the circuit has had more than 3 victories (Michael Andretti in CART and Brian Redman in F5000) to Dixon's 4. And unlike those drivers, Dixon has a chance to at least extend it for another race win.

Also, in the past Dixon has used this great American circuit as a spring board to mount his title challenge, with 6 of his 23 wins coming after Mid-Ohio on the calender (in season's with Mid-Ohio on the schedule). As well as 17 podiums in the 44 races remaining in the season after the hugely (and I meam hugely) Honda backed race.

When one thinks of Rick Mears, they think of Indianapolis. When on thinks of Al Unser Jr., they think of Long Beach. When one thinks of Scott Dixon, they will think of Mid-Ohio.

This race is Dixon's to lose.

What else is this Honda 200 weekend all about?

Ummm.... the world public track debut of the Honda NSX Hybrid. Yup... mid west America will be the first people in the Universe outside the Honda engineers and test drivers and executives get to see a great hybrid supercar take laps in full glory (or any glory).

And it is a looker. :love:

Posted Image

Times you ask? Well 3:00 PM Eastern Time. That mans 8:00 PM in the UK and 11:00 AM for those on the West Coast USA. It's on NBC Sports Network for those in the US, and those in the UK can add who is showing the race there if they'd like.

Entry List: LINK

For the couple of people who want the Indy Lights Entry list which will have 3 new cars this weekend to break the double digit mark in car count: LINK

In other Indy Lights news; We're going to get a new car for 2015! Fin-a-fricken-lly! With Dan Andersen running the show, if he can use a formula that has given the USF2000 class over 25 cars a weekend, I don't see how hoping at least 16 cars full time in Indy Lights isn't stretching my imagination.

Also in FIL news, we see the debut of GP2 superstar Giancarlo Serenelli as well as the first ever African driver in the series in Zimbabwean Axcil Jeffries who has shown in FBMW Asia and FIA Formula Two.

The other Road to Indy also run, but Matthew Brabham is going to win in Pro Mazda, and USF2000 is a game of craps. Anyone of about a third of the grid could potentially win.

Advertisement

#2 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,270 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 15:11

Saw the thread title and thought he'd died.

#3 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,786 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 15:13

Jesus i thought he died.

#4 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 15:15

Also, Dixon(RIP) has won the last three races. Pocono 400 and the Toronto street course double header.

#5 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 15:18

Saw the thread title and thought he'd died.

You're not the only one; the thread title could do with a tweak.

Edited by P123, 30 July 2013 - 15:18.

#6 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 15:19

The "Indycars @ Mid-Ohio" bit ended up in the sub-headline rather than the main topic you see in the forum index.

Edited by Ross Stonefeld, 30 July 2013 - 15:19.

#7 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,247 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 15:21

Nice attention snag there Hayden !!!
:lol:

Jp

#8 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 15:21

Jeebus, failed to realize the word "Tribute" meant death on the internet.

Posted Image

Why I don't like making threads. Seems to be controversial or something. I should just go join politics or the clergy now.

Edited by HaydenFan, 30 July 2013 - 15:23.

#9 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,531 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 15:24

If anything the thread title should be changed just so it doesn't look like a driver thread.

Wow! That was fast.

Edited by PayasYouRace, 30 July 2013 - 15:25.

#10 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 15:28

You can have both, but creative thinking is lost on some.

#11 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,779 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 17:38

I think it's very brave of Dixon to continue to race after his untimely death. Aussie grit.

#12 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,443 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 17:53

Also in FIL news, we see the debut of GP2 superstar Giancarlo Serenelli...

Srsly?

Oh, boy, are you guys in for a treat :clap:

#13 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 19:50

Srsly?

Oh, boy, are you guys in for a treat :clap:

Heh, he'll make Goncalvez look quick :p

Also...no mention of Filippi's test or Servia coming back to drive the #4 for Panther?

#14 stewie

stewie

• 3,554 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 19:54

If Dixon wins, then we get to see his lovely wife again. Which is no bad thing.

#15 techspeed

techspeed

• 373 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 20:27

It's on NBC Sports Network for those in the US, and those in the UK can add who is showing the race there if they'd like.

Well it's the first race after the end of ESPN UK and the start of the new BT Sport channel. A clever ruse where to get the TV channels you have to have BT Broadband or pay for it's own subscription on Sky. :( At least they are managing to show the race live.

Having cable here means I will now be signing up to Nigerian TV ;)

#16 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 20:39

The word "tribute' is one of those irritating words that just means whatever you want it too. It's a pretty good system, just doing random things "in tribute" of someone and then calling anyone who questions you out for disrespect. I was kicking these dogs, but it was in tribute of the guy who just died, so how dare you say..

#17 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:24

Well it's the first race after the end of ESPN UK and the start of the new BT Sport channel. A clever ruse where to get the TV channels you have to have BT Broadband or pay for it's own subscription on Sky. :( At least they are managing to show the race live.

Not sure what action I need to take in order to see this weekends race.Have been paying for ESPN via Sky.BT Sport seems to have replaced ESPN on the Radio Times listing and is showing Mid Ohio.Get my broadband and landline from AOL which has provided good service for 10 years or so.Have no interest in soccer which is all BT is publicising :eek:

#18 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,531 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:34

Also...no mention of Filippi's test or Servia coming back to drive the #4 for Panther?

You're assuming anyone has ever cared about Heidfeld Servia.

Not sure what I'll be doing to watch this one. Might have to rely on our favourite Nigerians again.

#19 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:47

This is my biggest memory of mid ohio

Advertisement

#20 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,443 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:06

It's no so much his slowness that's the fun, though that goes without saying. just hope they have plenty of spares handy.

Here's the man himself in action at Hockenheim, showing how to cross a huge F1-style gravel trap in style:

GP 2012 Hockenheim Serenelli Big Crash

#21 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:46

I think it's very brave of Dixon to continue to race after his untimely death. Aussie grit.

Even though - by accident of birth - he first saw the light of day in Brisbane I suspect he'd be very offended to be called an Aussie!

#22 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:59

My last day of ESPN today.

My decision is made, I'm not paying £15 'activation' just to have the same channel and for 5 more race weekends. Shame.

#23 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:55

And because of the way the cars are now, unless a car runs up behind another, there won't be anymore cars getting airborne.

I think this track would have been a good place for the standing starts. They start the races oddly on the backstretch on what is the longest straight, and go into one of the tightest corners. Would be a bit like Long Beach... actually it would be just like Toronto, except there is run-off and not a wall.

#24 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,247 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:45

We love you nice British people...
Jump on in..the water's fine.

Posted Image
Jp

#25 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,274 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:49

I think this track would have been a good place for the standing starts. They start the races oddly on the backstretch on what is the longest straight, and go into one of the tightest corners. Would be a bit like Long Beach... actually it would be just like Toronto, except there is run-off and not a wall.

I still recall when one of the ESPN commentators goofily mentioned how Mid-Ohio starts on the backstretch, making sort of a comical "would you believe?" deal out of it...when the reason they moved the starts to the backstretch was due to a fatal accident in a F5000 race :cry:

#26 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,779 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 18:03

Even though - by accident of birth - he first saw the light of day in Brisbane I suspect he'd be very offended to be called an Aussie!

That was the part of the post you took factual issue with? :p

#27 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 20:52

How is Will Power going to do?

#28 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,531 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 21:27

How is Will Power going to do?

I'm going for this:

#29 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 22:46

I forgot how big that was. And it's always awkward to watch old racing clips and hear the usual spiel about how this and that is a "testament to the safety of these cars", knowing what would happen in 1999.

#30 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 00:41

You're assuming anyone has ever cared about Heidfeld Servia.

Ha. He looked better than Briscoe in that car though...

It's no so much his slowness that's the fun, though that goes without saying. just hope they have plenty of spares handy.

Sato did a pretty good job of tearing up equipment  ;)

Testing times for those who care: http://www.imscdn.co...../M-O test.pdf

#31 Der Pate

Der Pate

• 624 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:14

Just read that from this race on, there will be a possibility to watch Indycar live! There is a channel called "Sport 1 US", which will be in the German "Kabel 1"- Network and in "Sky Deutschland". There should be a contract until 2015 or 2016! Great news!

#32 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 18:36

My decision is made, I'm not paying £15 'activation' just to have the same channel and for 5 more race weekends. Shame.

For some reason I now have access to both ESPN and BT Sport. :confused: Not that I'm complaining, as I shan't need Jp's Nigerians any more. How long that will last I dunno ... especially as I've cancelled my Sky Sports subscription from the end of the month!

(Just had a thought. Rather than using my ISP's crap DNS server, I'm actually routing through a BT one. I also have a BT line. I wonder if that has something to do with it?)

Edited by Vitesse2, 01 August 2013 - 18:41.

#33 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,531 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 18:41

Ha. He looked better than Briscoe in that car though...

Maybe he was, but did anyone notice?

Actually Servia is pretty underrated. He is good at bringing home the points, but he falls into the category of solid rather than spectacular.

#34 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,281 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 18:48

I think Servia is definitely underrated - the guy finished in 4th in the 2011 championship for Newman Haas, which was certainly no mean feat when you look at the rest of the top 10 that year: all TCGR/Penske/AA bar for Kanaan. Sure, his consistency helped, but that's not a bad quality to have.

#35 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 20:49

Maybe he was, but did anyone notice?

Actually Servia is pretty underrated. He is good at bringing home the points, but he falls into the category of solid rather than spectacular.

I guess he falls into the Meira\Patrick\Hildebrand category of not likely to win in Indycar under normal circumstances.

#36 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 00:34

Servia is a very good driver. Wasn't that much off Bourdais in '05 when he replaced the injured Junqueira at NHR. Took the win after penalty from Glock at Montreal. Always very fast when given good equipment ('05 w/ Newman-Haas, '07 w/ Forsythe, '08 w/ KVRT), but like said, is a master at the solid, but those flashy runs are not his strong suit. I don't recall many races where he is a front runner, but looking at the stats shows him with most finishes near the pointy end of the race results.

#37 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:41

Servia is a very good driver. Wasn't that much off Bourdais in '05 when he replaced the injured Junqueira at NHR.

He played second fiddle to Da Matta as well as Bourdais. Wilson did more with less in Champ Car and the unified series.

I don't recall many races where he is a front runner, but looking at the stats shows him with most finishes near the pointy end of the race results.

Servia's good at racking up a lot of 4th, 5th, 6th place type finishes, but in 60 ICS starts since 2008 he's contended for a win once (New Hampshire 2011). There's a reason he's been called Indycar's Nick Heidfeld :p

#38 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,247 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:27

Posted Image

Jp

#39 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:27

For some reason I now have access to both ESPN and BT Sport. :confused: Not that I'm complaining, as I shan't need Jp's Nigerians any more. How long that will last I dunno ... especially as I've cancelled my Sky Sports subscription from the end of the month!

(Just had a thought. Rather than using my ISP's crap DNS server, I'm actually routing through a BT one. I also have a BT line. I wonder if that has something to do with it?)

Yes I had the same situation yesterday evening-this morning just a message advising me to contact supplier for subscroption :eek:

Advertisement

#40 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:26

Yes I had the same situation yesterday evening-this morning just a message advising me to contact supplier for subscroption :eek:

Mine's gone too. Obviously some sort of glitch - perhaps they forgot to turn off the FTA switch from ESPN Classic? Ah well, back to Nigeria ... :well:

#41 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,270 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:13

No, last night was a free view as it was the launch of BT Sport.

If you have BT Broadband though, you can get the BT Sport channels and ESPN added to your Sky free of charge.

#42 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:46

If you have BT Broadband though, you can get the BT Sport channels and ESPN added to your Sky free of charge.

Fully aware of that, but if I switched to BT Broadband my line rental would triple as I'm on their low user tariff!

Edited by Vitesse2, 02 August 2013 - 10:46.

#43 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:22

Posted Image

Jp

Autobiography, novel, what?

#44 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:39

Autobiography, novel, what?

Google is your friend :p

#45 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:45

No, marketing is :p

#46 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 14:26

Wonder if it's a pop-up book? I like those.

#47 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 15:15

No, last night was a free view as it was the launch of BT Sport.

Problem solved I think.Sky have advised me ESPN subscription cancelled -£10.BT charge for BT sport 1 & 2 +ESPN via sky box £12 per momth.net increase £2 per month to continue watching Indycar :wave:

#48 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 16:26

Dixon fastest in the first session. See you guys in Sonoma.

#49 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,281 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 16:39

This season has certainly swung very firmly towards Dixon in recent races - someone needs to win just to break his momentum and halt a runaway victory.

#50 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 18:35

Dixon fastest in the first session. See you guys in Sonoma.

Good to see Vautier is back up to speed. Fillippi and Davison among the slowest again.