* * * * - 30 votes

Kimi to Ferrari?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4013 replies to this topic

#1 Module

Module

• 1,055 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:54

Accotrding to Bild Ferrari made an offer for Kimi to join Ferrari once again. Is this realistic?

Heres the link: http://www.bild.de/s...96692.bild.html

Advertisement

#2 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:01

Why would Kimi take it, whilst Alonso seems to get out?

#3 Lone

Lone

• 1,122 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:09

Why would Kimi take it, whilst Alonso seems to get out?

Perhaps that's the reason Alonso wants out. Anyway I believe Kimi has already signed for Red Bull.

Edited by Lone, 31 July 2013 - 07:11.

#4 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:11

naaah. ferrari are a proud company, with chasing Raikkönen with an even better offer than red bull, what they would basically do is admitting that paying a truckload of money to Kimi to not drive in f1 was the biggest mistake in the century.

#5 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:12

I don't have a clue, but it's the best silly season ever.

#6 Module

Module

• 1,055 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:14

To start the discussion of I have to say that in some weird way this makes sence, almost like Ferrari would have been forced to make the offer.

As I see it next year with the new engines there will be three main competitors, Red Bull with Renault, Mercedes and Ferrari. If you look at Mercedes lineup it seems like the strongest for now with Lewis and Nico.

Ferrari has Alonso and Red Bull Vettel. One of theese two have to take a relatively unproven driver to pair their star, Ricciardo to Red Bull or ? to Ferrari as Massa realy seems to be at his last year. Kimi is the only proven driver available and the one team of theese two that let the other one have him will be disadvantaged. Both would probably rather see him stay at Lotus but cant risk him going to the main competitor.

Could the rapture in the relationship of Alonso and Ferrari be a proof of the offer? Alonso would have probably been briefed and maybe his manager going to Red Bull was his way of saying that if you contest my number one status, I'll look else? Last year when Ferrari were considering replacing Massa was the last time LdM voiced negatively about Alonso, saying that only after he wins a championship...

So in a way in my mind it all makes sence and personnaly I would love to see Kimi fight Alonso after all the drama some years ago

#7 Module

Module

• 1,055 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:30

naaah. ferrari are a proud company, with chasing Raikkönen with an even better offer than red bull, what they would basically do is admitting that paying a truckload of money to Kimi to not drive in f1 was the biggest mistake in the century.

Ferrari want's to win the WCC after 5 years of nothing. They tried the one-driver policy and it failed. The main competitors are going for two equally strong drivers. As LdM said, no driver is bigger then Ferrari, and if Alonso failed on his own being uncontested number one they will make the decission to pair him with another strong driver and go for WCC.

I don't think its that bad for pride, they tried, failed and adapted. It would be worse if they bang their head in the wall over and over again. And they can point to that it wasn't they paying but Alonsos entourage oin Santander.

A lot of tifosi still love Kimi, his the last champion in Ferrari and someone who can let the past be the past. His probably also the only one of the top 4 who could live alongside Alonso as he wouldnt make any drama

#8 peroa

peroa

• 10,783 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:37

It's starting to make sense now.

LdM makes offer to KR, FA gets wind of it and sends manger to RBR.

#9 peroa

peroa

• 10,783 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:39

Ferrari want's to win the WCC after 5 years of nothing. They tried the one-driver policy and it failed. The main competitors are going for two equally strong drivers. As LdM said, no driver is bigger then Ferrari, and if Alonso failed on his own being uncontested number one they will make the decission to pair him with another strong driver and go for WCC.

I don't think its that bad for pride, they tried, failed and adapted. It would be worse if they bang their head in the wall over and over again. And they can point to that it wasn't they paying but Alonsos entourage oin Santander.

A lot of tifosi still love Kimi, his the last champion in Ferrari and someone who can let the past be the past. His probably also the only one of the top 4 who could live alongside Alonso as he wouldnt make any drama

Kimi wouldn't, but Alonso would or better already is.

#10 kismet

kismet

• 7,376 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:45

Well, the guy did warn us that his decision might seem stupid. If he's hell bent on underpromising and overdelivering, this one would certainly qualify.

2 out of 10. Would not watch again.

On the other hand, it's Bild. Some of their reporting hints at possible substance abuse problems so there's that.

#11 tmzxaar

tmzxaar

• 379 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:47

Yeah, thinking about this for some time. I think there are very good odds for this to happen. I'm just going to say this :

Fernando to RB with Ricciardo while Rosberg replaces Massa and Raikkonen comes instead of Alonso to Ferrari. Hulkenberg goes to Mclaren instead of Perez who goes back to Sauber while Massa goes to Lotus. Vettel comes to Merc and he and Hamilton become the greatest pair ever.

Red Bull : Fernando, Ricciardo
Ferrari : Raikkonen, Rosberg
McLaren : Button, Hulkenberg
Mercedes : Hamilton, Vettel
Lotus : Grosjean, Massa

!!!!!!!!

silly season indeed!

#12 Iranie

Iranie

• 142 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:48

If this offer is real Kimi should be really flattered. Though it seems absurd that Kimi would re-join a team which smoked him out with politics. We don't know what happened behind the scenes in 08-09 and how Kimi tolerates it.

For Ferrari this would be a jackpot. Alonso-Räikkönen pairing would be the best on the grid. On track both of them respect each other, top-class drivers. No-sparking guaranteed, knowing Kimi's nature. Alonso could have some trouble adjusting to the situation if he was beaten.

Maybe this is the "not so wise move to some" what Kimi has talked about.

Edited by Iranie, 31 July 2013 - 07:52.

#13 pRy

pRy

• 26,341 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:49

Never going to happen. Ferrari may have made him an offer, but he won't accept it. He's ticked the Ferrari box. Why would he go back? If they were winning every race and titles, it would be a different story of course. But to go to Ferrari now is just too much hassle for him. He'd rather stay at Lotus.

#14 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,900 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:54

HAHA, nicely play by Kimi manager, Horner uses Alonso to push Kimi, Kimi uses Ferrari to push RB, like a perfect puzzle.

#15 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,315 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:55

If Ferrari indeed made the offer on Thursday, I don't believe they intend to replace Alonso, but rather Massa. It makes sense, because they are quite desperate for at least a WCC next year. They can't really achieve that with Massa to be honest. And James Allison's arrival might be one of the tools Ferrari can use to attract Raikkonen,

It's indeed flattering that Ferrari want him back, but Kimi will never agree. It's either Red Bull or Lotus.

#16 Module

Module

• 1,055 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:57

Never going to happen. Ferrari may have made him an offer, but he won't accept it. He's ticked the Ferrari box. Why would he go back? If they were winning every race and titles, it would be a different story of course. But to go to Ferrari now is just too much hassle for him. He'd rather stay at Lotus.

Or a chance to redeem himself?

It would be the most consistant pair in F1, and would almost garantee a WCC as both maximise points in all races. Even if Alonso would win the WDC or better Kimi he would be the man bringing Ferrari back to championship. Even if Kimi is "Iceman" it has had to hurt and probably still hurts to have been fired. Even if he doesn't show emotions he still has them. So just joining in it self would already heal old wounds.

#17 peroa

peroa

• 10,783 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:03

That's all true, but Lotus has still cash problems, he hasn't been paid for some time, again.
Allison is gone.

#18 santababy

santababy

• 419 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:05

HAHA, nicely play by Kimi manager, Horner uses Alonso to push Kimi, Kimi uses Ferrari to push RB, like a perfect puzzle.

Its played by Luca to tweaked Alonso"s ears. :lol:

#19 Lennat

Lennat

• 2,063 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:05

I can't see why he would prefer a mediocre car in a team that dumped him to a Newey rocket. Unless Alonso is the one heading for the Newey rocket instead...

Advertisement

#20 molpid

molpid

• 366 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:08

Yeah, that must be the reason, good conclusion!

#21 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:11

Chandhok has twitted he'd heard about Ferrari's offer to Räikkönen a couple of weeks ago.

Can't copy and paste the tweet (not on the computer), but if somebody does... thanks.

#22 Radion

Radion

• 2,524 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:20

I can't believe this. They dumped kimi at the end of 2009 for alonso/santander, now they want him back?
Strange behaviour, really. Plus I can't image alonso wanting to race against a driver like kimi in the same team.
That'd imply he's looking for a seat at a team where he thinks he'd get the upper hand in terms of his teammate, would that be redbull?
Silly season is silly. :drunk:

#23 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:20

Yup :up: :lol:

#24 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:21

This was news that I was excpecting as Kimi himself has said all along he has offers from top teams other than Red Bull and Lotus and Steve Robertson confirmed it as well.

Edited by Vesuvius, 31 July 2013 - 08:22.

#25 Sammyosammy

Sammyosammy

• 1,501 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:22

Not going to happen. No doubt he will be linked in also with Macca during this summer break.

#26 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:23

I can't ever see Kimi returning to Ferrari, he's quite possibly the least malleable driver on the grid, as well as being among the most apolitical, he just doesn't fit their mould, and i dont believe they fit his, in fact i'd say he's the most unlikely Ferrari driver, notwithstanding he's their most recent WDC.

Whilst i could see an advantage for Ferrari, i can't see any for Kimi, and i mean no disrespect to Ferrari, they're just not foing a very good job atm, Lotus have shown Kimi that he can have a decent car, a lot of personal freedom, and still be really valued & appreciated, genuinely appreciated on a personal level, okay so he may have to sweat on his wages now and again, but Lotus understand Kimi better than any team ever has, and Ferrari probably understood him the least.

#27 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:25

Not going to happen. No doubt he will be linked in also with Macca during this summer break.

Probably with Mercedes too, because I can imagine next name (or one of the next names) that will be linked to Ferrari during this silly season will be Rosberg's

#28 rko281

rko281

• 698 posts

And I thought that Alonso to RedBull was indeed a silly season NO WAY....and now comes Kimi to Ferrari.
:stoned:

#29 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

I can't believe this. They dumped kimi at the end of 2009 for alonso/santander, now they want him back?
Strange behaviour, really. Plus I can't image alonso wanting to race against a driver like kimi in the same team.
That'd imply he's looking for a seat at a team where he thinks he'd get the upper hand in terms of his teammate, would that be redbull?
Silly season is silly. :drunk:

Well this would only show it was Santander who wanted Kimi out. For example Domenicalli clear has said he wants Kimi to drive on his team, it seems Montezemolo wants as well...Kimi with Allison would work.

#30 Steel

Steel

• 15 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:26

Yes, I am 100% certain this will happen. I even know when. It is the same day hell freezes over. :stoned:

#31 Adelaide

Adelaide

• 281 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:29

Ferrari had their chance for a Kimi / Alonso pairing back in 2010. Not going to happen now. Their loss really.

#32 Radion

Radion

• 2,524 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:29

Well this would only show it was Santander who wanted Kimi out. For example Domenicalli clear has said he wants Kimi to drive on his team, it seems Montezemolo wants as well...Kimi with Allison would work.

But were'd that leave santander? Surley they wouldn't want a alonso/kimi pairing as it doesn't suit their target market (spain, brazil etc...)?!

#33 pUs

pUs

• 2,966 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:30

I doubt it's true. But if it is, doesn't really make any sense at all.

Kimi seems to be the same driver with the same attitude today as back in 2009, so if nothing has changed within Ferrari why would it work this time around? What is different?

#34 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:31

Kimi himself has said many times he has no problems to go back, just very recently again on F1Racing magazine. Ferrari has Rory Byrne back next year, they have Allison,Fry and Tombazis....pretty nice group I would say. The fact is Red Bull and Ferrari both are offering something Kimi wants and Lotus can't offer at least before they have more loney...and it's financial backing for Kimi's motocross team and possible rally career after F1.

#35 Der Pate

Der Pate

• 624 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:31

And I thought, there would be 4 boring weeks to come...

#36 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:32

Kimi seems to be the same driver with the same attitude today as back in 2009, so if nothing has changed within Ferrari why would it work this time around? What is different?

Look Kimi's attitude was never a problem in a first place.Santander wanted Massa because Brazil is their biggest market.

Edited by Vesuvius, 31 July 2013 - 08:40.

#37 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,492 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:33

To start the discussion of I have to say that in some weird way this makes sence, almost like Ferrari would have been forced to make the offer.

As I see it next year with the new engines there will be three main competitors, Red Bull with Renault, Mercedes and Ferrari. If you look at Mercedes lineup it seems like the strongest for now with Lewis and Nico.

Ferrari has Alonso and Red Bull Vettel. One of theese two have to take a relatively unproven driver to pair their star, Ricciardo to Red Bull or ? to Ferrari as Massa realy seems to be at his last year. Kimi is the only proven driver available and the one team of theese two that let the other one have him will be disadvantaged. Both would probably rather see him stay at Lotus but cant risk him going to the main competitor.

Could the rapture in the relationship of Alonso and Ferrari be a proof of the offer? Alonso would have probably been briefed and maybe his manager going to Red Bull was his way of saying that if you contest my number one status, I'll look else? Last year when Ferrari were considering replacing Massa was the last time LdM voiced negatively about Alonso, saying that only after he wins a championship...

So in a way in my mind it all makes sence and personnaly I would love to see Kimi fight Alonso after all the drama some years ago

This makes a fair bit of sense. Oddly enough, for all the calls for Massa to be replaced last year there was never a completely safe option available with which to do so.

Kimi is fast and nonpolitical and it makes sense for Ferrari to make a bid for him. On the other hand, from Fernando's perspective, this means the Red Bull seat would come into play, hence his interest. The only thing is, does it make sense for Kimi? Unless Ferrari are willing to throw far more money at him, I don't think so.

A similar argument could be made for Jenson, and he was previously linked with both Ferrari and Red Bull in a similar way.

#38 Module

Module

• 1,055 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:34

4 years without WCC? Bad feeling it could be 5?

#39 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:41

Chandhok has twitted he'd heard about Ferrari's offer to Räikkönen a couple of weeks ago.

Can't copy and paste the tweet (not on the computer), but if somebody does... thanks.

Karun Chandhok (@karunchandhok) tweeted at 12:31pm - 31 Jul 13:

“@f1enigma: Do you want more on the rumor mill? Bild : Ferrari made an offer to Raikkonen” - I heard this a few weeks ago too !! (https://twitter.com/...468149972574208)

Advertisement

#40 Sammyosammy

Sammyosammy

• 1,501 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:42

LdM:s comments after Kimi/Alonso-swap doesn't mean there was problems at all. Was just a play cause they had to justify the swap.
(anyway, not going to happen)

#41 Der Pate

Der Pate

• 624 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:45

Karun Chandhok (@karunchandhok) tweeted at 12:31pm - 31 Jul 13:

“@f1enigma: Do you want more on the rumor mill? Bild : Ferrari made an offer to Raikkonen” - I heard this a few weeks ago too !! (https://twitter.com/...468149972574208)

The press always builds up a connection between Ferrari and every driver, who can hold a steering-wheel... Nothing to shout about it...

#42 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:48

Some rumors implying exactly that. On time line, allegedly contact between Ferrari and Räikkönen preceded contact between RB and the Spanish driver.

#43 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:49

LdM:s comments after Kimi/Alonso-swap doesn't mean there was problems at all. Was just a play cause they had to justify the swap.
(anyway, not going to happen)

Why do you think it won't happen? If Red Bull deal doesn't come reality, surely Ferrari deal is at least worth to think about before signing Lotus deal.

#44 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:51

Didn't he also get along well with RB on the podium?

But if Kimi said his decision will look stupid it can't be Red Bull.

#45 Sammyosammy

Sammyosammy

• 1,501 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:52

Why do you think it won't happen? If Red Bull deal doesn't come reality, surely Ferrari deal is at least worth to think about before signing Lotus deal.

Cause I think we will end up with boring Lotus-solution. Do not really have a wish list for his next team. But if I did, McLaren would suit well...

#46 Module

Module

• 1,055 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:53

4 years ago everything looked jolly. They got the "ultimate driver", started preparing for 2010 long before anybody else, Santanders money. Massa, with a heartbreaking story, and Alonso covering Santanders main market-areas... They could get rid of Kimi because they had a new Schumacher era in front of them!

4 years later the only thing written about Ferrari F1 is that they make lousy F1-cars. No WCC, no WDC, Massas faded away... Their reputation at danger. Even Santanders money is less important than the reputation they sell road cars with

Next year they might face Red Bull with Kimi and Vettel and Mercedes with Nico and Hamilton. Two extremely strong duos that work well together. No real proven talent to replace Massa...

What can they do other then try to build a good car?

My choice would be to force Red Bull to go with unproven Ricciardo and have a driver pair stronger then Mercedes with Kimi and Alonso. Stop and think about the power shift it would make. From weakest driver-pairing to strongest. Even if they get the engine wrong Kimi and Alonso are arguably the most consistant pointsmachines. Both Ricciardo and Nico arent and that could decide the WCC.

#47 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:55

Cause I think we will end up with boring Lotus-solution. Do not really have a wish list for his next team. But if I did, McLaren would suit well...

Could well happend. McLaren has also had talks with Kimi's manager...sadly it maybe wont happend either.

#48 Sammyosammy

Sammyosammy

• 1,501 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:56

But if Kimi said his decision will look stupid it can't be Red Bull.

This

#49 Dunc

Dunc

• 924 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:08

:up:

How long until there is a Jenson Button to Ferrari thread? :rotfl:

#50 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:13

It's like a page-turner chrime/thriller book. Twists everywhere.