Photo

François Cevert

• Please log in to reply
381 replies to this topic

#351 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 865 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 21:45

A few months ago I was thinking about some of my college professors of 35 years ago.  It came me that I don't remember them in the sense of suddenly being reminded of their existence, and visualizing some  moments with them.  Rather, they entered that thing that makes me, me, and they stayed there, adding to the "me".  The same it true of several racing drivers, and certainly of one Francois Cevert.  Hero of my youth. 

Advertisement

#352 hogstar

hogstar

• 433 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 22:53

It seems that drivers were being linked with Tyrrell for '74, but with Cevert being in the dark about JYS retirement, then he may of placed himself under pressure of thinking he may be replaced. Had Cevert known about Stewart's impending retirement, then maybe he would of been more relaxed and the accident wouldn't of happened? Just a thought.

#353 AAA-Eagle

AAA-Eagle

• 1,018 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:44

Just to remember that today is François' 70th would-be Birthday...

A million days could pass us by, but you will never be forgotten, François!

#354 AAA-Eagle

AAA-Eagle

• 1,018 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 13:35

Today it's 41 years since that day that took life of François and 40 years since that day for Helmut. :(

R.I.P.

Edited by AAA-Eagle, 07 October 2015 - 07:21.

#355 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,939 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 14:24

Another year gone by. Sadly, I remember that day at the Glen as if it were yesterday.

RIP Francois

#356 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 16:46

41 years, my god it's a lifetime ago and still I remember hearing the news as if it was yesterday.

RIP :(

#357 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 865 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 21:59

Howden Ganley wrote the forward for the book "Matra Sports Cars" of the WSC Giants series.  In talking about his time with Matra he says this about Francois:

"And, of course, there was Francois.  What a wonderful bloke.  So good to share a car with.  Intelligent, witty, good looking, he had everything going for him.  We got on very well.

After all the 'Rosbiffs' and the 'Kiwis' had to depart the team (French drivers only for 1973) Francois said to me: "What a pity.  I think we are a very good combination, you and me."  He taught me a few words of 'technical' French, and most importantly how to play 'Pompiniette.'  We refined our act to almost cabaret status - and we never broke a glass. A little bit of my enthusiasm for motor racing also died at Watkins Glen in October 1973."

Thank you, Howden Ganley. 

Salut, Francois.

Dave

#358 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,252 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:37

42 years since we witnessed his only Can-Am win, one of a kind personality. We need more.

#359 63Corvette

63Corvette

• 358 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:00

Right - here goes.

For a few weeks now I have been designing a website on Francois Cevert (and to prove it here is the front page - http://www.geocities..._cevert_tribute - tho' none of the links work, believe me, I have got pages worth of material done already! )

I have lots of material from the autobiography 'A Contract with Death/La Mort Dans Mon Contrat'; the recent (October 99?) Motorsport and an excellent essay from FLB (merci beaucoup!;) ), but this is TNF - the place where Andre Lambert and the 1921 GP do Penya Rhin are accurately remembered ;) , so what I ask is:-

Any info, stories, anecdotes, anything about FC I could use for my website....!

I know he isn't as universally as popular a driver as a Moss or an Amon, but I'm sure there must be plenty of stories and info out there I don't know about... Whatever, any reminisces - well known or not - greatfully received.

Thanks,
Gary

I never actually met Francois Cevert. I was in line to pay for entry into the 1973 US Grand Prix at Watkins Glen, when the entry was stopped (because entry was through a tunnel under the track) because of a practice accident. It turned out that the accident was fatal for Tyrrell driver Francois Cevert. It was a devastating start to my very first Formula 1 race ever.

Advertisement

#360 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,939 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:53

42 years ago today.....RIP Francois.

#361 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,476 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 14:52

42 years ago today.....RIP Francois.

Yes

#362 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 865 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 15:18

Another October 6. 

A million days could pass us by, but you will never be forgotten, François!

Yes, absoultely. 

I was surfing last night and found a Facebook page for Francois.  I don't do Facebook but I can access a lot of this site.  Plenty of photos I'd never seen, and a good reason to improve my French. 

https://www.facebook.../FrancoisCevert

Also nice to know that there are others, besides a few of us here, who remember Francois.

Dave

#363 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,252 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 18:48

I never actually met Francois Cevert. I was in line to pay for entry into the 1973 US Grand Prix at Watkins Glen, when the entry was stopped (because entry was through a tunnel under the track) because of a practice accident. It turned out that the accident was fatal for Tyrrell driver Francois Cevert. It was a devastating start to my very first Formula 1 race ever.

Oh my.

RIP, Hero.

Edited by E1pix, 06 October 2015 - 18:53.

#364 AAA-Eagle

AAA-Eagle

• 1,018 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:37

Yes, exactly, another year has passed since that mournful day. It's now 42 years for François and 41 years for Helmut that we keep in memory the charming smiles of the Heroes which left the deepest trace in our hearts once and forever.

R.I.P. François, R.I.P. Helmut

#365 AAA-Eagle

AAA-Eagle

• 1,018 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 22:06

Today it's 43 years since the last day of François, and 42 years since the one of Helmut. :cry:  :cry:  :cry: 

#366 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,252 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 23:55

RIP. Still sad as can be.

#367 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 865 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 00:26

I can't remember where I read this, but Jackie Stewart talked about the Swedish Grand Prix one year.  Since the track was in the middle of nowhere there were no hotels and everyone stayed in private homes for the weekend.  At the end of one of those days Francois managed to get two of the Marlboro girls into the shower with him. 

To paraphrase Bruce McLaren:  "...but who is to say that he had not seen more, done more and learned more in his few years than many people do in a lifetime?"

Salut, Francois.  My hero in so many ways!

#368 AAA-Eagle

AAA-Eagle

• 1,018 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:47

Today marks 44 years since we lost François in the horrible crash at Watkins Glen. And 43 years since we lost Helmut at the same circuit. :cry: :cry: :cry:

R.I.P. François, R.I.P. Helmut.

#369 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,252 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:56

Well done AAA, Thank You.

#370 FLB

FLB

• 10,466 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:23

First thing I thought about when I got up this morning, same as every year.

I'll re-watch The Quick and the Dead tonight (aka One by One). It's a terrible name for what is a pretty fine documentary. Have Stomu Yamash'ta's fantastic soundtrack in my car.

#371 charles r

charles r

• 8,356 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 18:02

First thing I thought about when I got up this morning, same as every year.

I'll re-watch The Quick and the Dead tonight (aka One by One). It's a terrible name for what is a pretty fine documentary. Have Stomu Yamash'ta's fantastic soundtrack in my car.

I've just watched this film for the first time on Amazon Prime and despite the dreadful title, what an insight! Wonderful footage re-mastered in HD. Interviews with Cevert, Hailwood and Revson particularly poignant.

#372 hogstar

hogstar

• 433 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 19:27

I've just watched this film for the first time on Amazon Prime and despite the dreadful title, what an insight! Wonderful footage re-mastered in HD. Interviews with Cevert, Hailwood and Revson particularly poignant.

The Quick and the Dead was the '78 version of the original One by One, which unfortunately contains the extremely gruesome Tom Pryce fatal accident at the start of the film if memory serves me correctly. One accident I wish I'd never had seen. For the arguably over sanitised F1 of recent years, it certainly is an eye opener for the younger generation brought up on Run-off areas and Tilke Dromes. 

Edited by hogstar, 22 January 2018 - 19:27.

#373 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,252 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 19:44

It is definitely a troubling film, but perhaps a necessary one in historical context.

One sad irony is two of the three main interviewees were gone within months of production — both whom I witnessed race several times — as if to bookmark the historical "value" of the offering.

RIP, Francois and Peter.

#374 AAA-Eagle

AAA-Eagle

• 1,018 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 20:51

Today is the 45th and the 44th anniversaries of the two darkest days at Watkins Glen which took away the lifes of François Cevert and Helmut Koenig. By mysterious coincidence of circumstances these accidents happened on the same day and month, 6th October, on the same track, but with a year difference -- in 1973 and 1974.

Edited by AAA-Eagle, 06 October 2018 - 22:53.

#375 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,252 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 05:16

Thanks for honoring them.

#376 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,390 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 11:29

oh my, the year flashes past so fast these days.  45 years since my favourite driver perished.   Seems strange that I forget so many things but that day is still vivid in my mind even though I wasn't even in the same country.

I had hoped to go to france one day to pay my respects and put flowers on his grave, sadly that won't happen now but I still have my memories, RIP Francois. :cry:

#377 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,252 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 00:09

Maybe someone here can do that for you someday, Buddy.

Lovely thought.

#378 AAA-Eagle

AAA-Eagle

• 1,018 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:11

One more year has gone since those truly horrific crashes of François Cevert and Helmut Koenig at Watkins Glen. Today marks 46 years since we lost François and 45 years since we lost Helmut. And events of recent F2 race at Spa has shown that motor racing is still as dangerous as it always has been.

R.I.P. François, R.I.P. Helmut, R.I.P. Anthoine. :cry: :cry: :cry:

#379 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,939 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:29

Another year gone by. I remember that day in 1973 as if it were yesterday. Standing above the pits and the deathly silence as the cars slowly coasted back into the pits.

RIP Francois and RIP Helmuth.......

Edited by jj2728, 06 October 2019 - 12:19.

Advertisement

#380 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,390 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 12:27

RIP Francois, as long as we are around, you'll never be forgotten!

#381 Victor

Victor

• 636 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 14:40

RIP François. You are still remembered.

#382 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 865 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 17:25

Thanks for bringing this thread to the forefront, and for reminding me what day and month it is, and what it means.  I hate it when the trials of current life crowd out my remembrance of the past. 

Glad to hear that I am not the only one who wishes he could go to France and visit Francois' resting place. 

And my thoughts, for once, are with his remaining family.  As late as 2012 an article reported that his sister Jacqueline cannot talk about that day.  (And, also, that she feels if she had been at the track her presence might have made him unintentionally go a bit slower...and that he might not have crashed.  A hard burden to carry.)