* * * * - 6 votes

McLaren 2024 team thread

• Please log in to reply
7538 replies to this topic

#7501 RPM40

RPM40

• 14,312 posts

Posted 06 September 2024 - 22:46

Yes, as I said, it was a team order,  it covered the outside line as you've pointed out, it compromised Norris in that he wasn't able to open the corner up as much as he should have, so had a shallower line through it, hence the snap on the way out.

Well, yes - additional complexities, I was referring more to the nonsense on track with each side of the garage effectively working against the other. 

I see no evidence each side of the garage is working against each other. 

Thats just blowing it all out of proportion. The drivers are racing on track, which they're allowed to do, but bar Norris' reluctance at Hungary they are completely following the team and working for the team.

Piastri pulled an excellent, clean pass that he was entitled to do, beat his team mate fairly and you'd think it was world war 3 based on some of the comments here.

Edited by RPM40, 06 September 2024 - 22:51.

Advertisement

#7502 RPM40

RPM40

• 14,312 posts

Posted 06 September 2024 - 22:48

Lewis Hamilton Schools McLaren on Costly Italian GP Strategy! (youtube.com)

Hamilton nailed it. The 2 Mclaren drivers were racing each other like mad stupidly killing their tyres. 

I agree, like I've said multiple times it would have made far more sense for the team to use Norris in the middle stint to back Leclerc up and secure the win. 

#7503 kumo7

kumo7

• 8,249 posts

Posted Yesterday, 00:38

Thats just blowing it all out of proportion. The drivers are racing on track, which they're allowed to do, but bar Norris' reluctance at Hungary they are completely following the team and working for the team.

Piastri pulled an excellent, clean pass that he was entitled to do, beat his team mate fairly and you'd think it was world war 3 based on some of the comments here.

Vasseur thinks differently. quotes from plus article by Jonathan.

“There is something like 450 points on the table,” he said on Sunday night about prospects until the end of the year. “It’s so tight, the fight, that honestly, I’ve spent a couple of years on the pitwall, but it’s the first time I think in F1 that we have this situation that eight drivers can win the race – without accidents or a big crash.
“Four teams are able to win or to be on the podium, and it’s changing from session to session. For me, the most impressive was probably Spa, where you had McLaren [fastest] in FP1, Red Bull [fastest] in FP2, we started from pole and Mercedes won the race. I have a feeling it’s almost like this everywhere, except Lando who dominated in Zandvoort.
“You can expect that until the end of the season it will be like this, and it will be a huge fight. It’s true that with eight cars with this kind of competitiveness, one team can do a 1-2 and the other one seven-eight – and I don’t want to speak about DNFs. So this can make a huge difference in terms of points.”

clearly Vasseur say that eight drivers, that are from Ferrari, RedBull, Mercedes and McLaren. This is possible only when every teams aim to win at the cost of others.

there are some 450 points to grab, obviously the current points difference between McLaren and RedBull is just eight points, but this will be quickly change when Ferrari win two races both in Baku and in Singapore. yes they can, as they won Monaco and Monza. 44 to 25 points gain in these two races may change the order of WCC, despite McLaren gives the impression that it has the fastest car over all.
this might be an illusion. but this illusion is made possible by Norris outpaced Max by 22 seconds, not because Piastri made one nice move in Monza and fade away as he is not on top of the degradation, even if he leads the race run in clean air.

Edited by kumo7, Yesterday, 04:38.

#7504 Clrnc

Clrnc

• 7,407 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:45

I agree, like I've said multiple times it would have made far more sense for the team to use Norris in the middle stint to back Leclerc up and secure the win.

Never going to happen because Norris is the only challenger for Max WDC.

#7505 Outsider

Outsider

• 981 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:38

so Oscar can drive for himself and should not care about Lando or his possible WDC, but Lando should care about Oscar's victory?

#7506 RPM40

RPM40

• 14,312 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:56

so Oscar can drive for himself and should not care about Lando or his possible WDC, but Lando should care about Oscar's victory?

Wait, but isn't the main argument that Piastri should have sat behind so that the team could strategically utilised the 1-2?

They had a perfect opportunity to do so with Norris, but failed to implement it. So its clear that was not their goal.

It just seems most of the criticism loops back to “Piastri isn’t allowed to beat Norris” despite the team never at any point taking that stance.

Edited by RPM40, Yesterday, 04:05.

#7507 frosty125

frosty125

• 1,242 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:31

That might have been the right decision at that point but (a) they should have never lost the 1-2 in the first place (b) they should not have pitted Norris so early and © they should not have pushed the tyres so hard throughout the race.

#7508 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 4,731 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:07

It just seems most of the criticism loops back to “Piastri isn’t allowed to beat Norris” despite the team never at any point taking that stance.

And at least some of it is "I want Max to lose", but that's another topic entirely.

#7509 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 3,558 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:58

I don't agree about the dynamic within the team either.  Have Andrea Stella and Zak Brown been playing favorites with either driver? I don't think so. Are the two garages hiding data or otherwise not working together to put the best possible Mclaren on the track? I have not heard that they are.  You have a long way to go before you can say there is anything problematic at Mclaren (other than race strategy). 

The two drivers are taking points off one another,

Neither driver wants to play the supporting role to the other and they're pushing  to avoid that situation,

Both want to be the dominant force in the team,

The different sides of the garage are actively racing each other regardless of what's best for the team,

And the team is going to miss out on the WDC because of this.

This is why I said there are 'shades' of 2007 to this, I'm not saying it's a repeat, only that there are similarities.

I'm not sure on that, I think had they still won in Monza then for sure they would have continued this way, but after losing, maybe not, then again, wrap around to what is behind the scenes, contract, the Prince etc, and maybe there is something there that says it's not allowed...

Jordan never said the owner enforced anything on the team, only that he was loving the dynamic and the racing and that (in Jordan's view) he was a fan of fairness, etc.  To me watching that this came across as an opinion and little more.  I personally wouldn't overplay this one as Jordan as we discussed is known to stir the pot.  My personal feeling is that this is contractual, McLaren not being used to running at the front and PR.

I never said there was war, and I clarified that a few comments later - the drivers aren't at each others throats.  But the team is working against it's own best interests and the different sides of the garage are actively racing one another, so much so that they compromised their overall team strategy in the last race and opened the door to Ferrari for the win.  There are shades of 2007 to this, but I've never said it was a carbon copy.

#7510 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 3,558 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:04

Wait, but isn't the main argument that Piastri should have sat behind so that the team could strategically utilised the 1-2?

They had a perfect opportunity to do so with Norris, but failed to implement it. So its clear that was not their goal.

At the start of the season, no one was suggesting Piastri do anything other than get the maximum results possible, this has only become a topic of discuss since Verstappen's form has fallen off and Norris has a slim chance at the WDC.  McLaren fans want that WDC, this is not about supporting Norris over Piastri (which is what you're trying to spin it into), it's about the driver with the strongest shot at the WDC of the two.  There are people posting here who demand one driver finishes ahead of the other, but they're not supporting Norris, where are your comments condemning those posts?

Edited by MirNyet, Yesterday, 09:05.

#7511 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 5,756 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:09

So, you are asking for team orders when your favorite driver takes profit of them, but not when they go against him? Really?

You're ok with team orders for a race win, but not for a Championship? That's weird

#7512 geralt

geralt

• 1,896 posts

Posted Yesterday, 13:09

https://www.reddit.c...f1_yet_to_gain/

#7513 Deeq

Deeq

• 10,560 posts

Posted Yesterday, 13:11

So, you are asking for team orders when your favorite driver takes profit of them, but not when they go against him? Really?

You're ok with team orders for a race win, but not for a Championship? That's weird

Uh read carefully what the poster has written!
He is OKEY with team orders, no matter who profits, He is against blaming Oscar for not executing non existing team order..
His position is Oscar did nothing wrong last race because he did not disobey team orders & races well from start to flag.

#7514 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 30,864 posts

Posted Yesterday, 13:35

Eddie was saying the owner of Mclaren the crown prince dictates the way they race and fairness and sportsmanship to both drivers will be the overriding factor and it will continue to be an open book according to what EJ thought with regards to the owner who was at the race and they will be free to race, maybe thats why Zac said they have two number ones in deference to the owner.

This is quite a plot twist if true. Bahrainis being actively involved in the team management comes out of nowhere seemingly. 

Edited by ARTGP, Yesterday, 13:36.

#7515 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 3,558 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:03

This is quite a plot twist if true. Bahrainis being actively involved in the team management comes out of nowhere seemingly. 

This is Jordan's opinion rather than a stated fact in the shared video.

#7516 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 30,864 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:22

This is Jordan's opinion rather than a stated fact in the shared video.

I know EJ can get things wrong with driver transfers but it seems even more strange to make up a story about Bahrain princes out of nowhere.  He could have easily just said it was in Piastri's contract, as Rosberg suggested. 

Edited by ARTGP, Yesterday, 15:23.

#7517 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 3,558 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:49

I know EJ can get things wrong with driver transfers but it seems even more strange to make up a story about Bahrain princes out of nowhere.  He could have easily just said it was in Piastri's contract, as Rosberg suggested. 

If you watch the video, he speaks about the major shareholder and his commitment to racing and fairness.  He doesn't actually say he dictates such things or has any hand in the running of the team or even if the shareholders views are taken into account by the team itself.  

Edited by MirNyet, Yesterday, 15:54.

#7518 pup

pup

• 2,897 posts

Posted Yesterday, 16:53

Mika has spoken:

https://www.planetf1...ogical-decision

#7519 DW46

DW46

• 2,694 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:31

Mika has spoken:

That’s settled then nothing further to discuss 😂

Love Mika! 🙌

Advertisement

#7520 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 6,024 posts

Posted Yesterday, 18:52

Mika has spoken:

Our legend has the final say. Case closed!

Edited by Mc_Silver, Yesterday, 18:53.

#7521 JeanAlesi27

JeanAlesi27

• 1,255 posts

Posted Yesterday, 20:04

Our legend has the final say. Case closed!

I can see/hear Mika snikering as he would deal with Webber's retorts ..... 

#7522 kumo7

kumo7

• 8,249 posts

Posted Today, 00:10

Mika has spoken:

Mika said it. so we know what to do!!

#7523 RPM40

RPM40

• 14,312 posts

Posted Today, 00:16

Reading Hakkinen's logic in that thread is exactly why Piastri should try and resist any sort of team orders. He goes on to say that he also expected the same advantage in following years.

The Norris/Piastri situation is very different in that you have a driver who is rising in his performance level and has started to outperform the incumbent driver. The type of thing Hakkinen talks about in which the driver pairing is effectively 'set' is exactly what he would be wanting to avoid.

#7524 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 3,070 posts

Posted Today, 00:33

Reading Hakkinen's logic in that thread is exactly why Piastri should try and resist any sort of team orders. He goes on to say that he also expected the same advantage in following years.

The Norris/Piastri situation is very different in that you have a driver who is rising in his performance level and has started to outperform the incumbent driver. The type of thing Hakkinen talks about in which the driver pairing is effectively 'set' is exactly what he would be wanting to avoid.

Yes, he was doing fine then took it too far.  If right throughout the season you are asking the team to tell the other guy to move over then you're no world champion are you?

Very odd take to say that as a 2 x WDC his advantage should have been baked in.

I don't know how I feel about this year, I really don't.  I don't see Lando winning the championship whether Oscar helps him or not, but if Oscar does help him, even if it's say, twice, which is probably all we're talking about anyway, then Oscar has still had to give up performance, it would cost him 3rd in the WDC to LeClerc in the process I'm sure, and if Norris still didn't win it would all be for nothing, other than a hit to Oscar.  So thats the concern for me as an Oscar fan.

Team wise, I think what I'd do is this, tell Oscar to support Lando, and from next year onwards, they get to alternate who gets upgrades first regardless of points tally (maybe that in the first half of the year and have a percentage lockout for 2nd half of the year which could override that).  That might be an actual fair compromise all round.

If Webber however was smart enough to have a clause in Oscar's contract that says he doesn't move over whilst mathematically possible, then Oscar should stick to that and keep going for it, there may be repercussions to that here and there, but if Oscar genuinely turns out to be the better driver, the team aren't going to punish him for it and Norris would move on anyway.  IF Oscar just never gets the edge on Lando, then he'll be forced out anyway.....

Summary: No contract clause, McLaren ask for Oscar's help and offer better incentive moving forward.  Contract clause, have at him Oscar, try and get that P2 in WDC

#7525 RPM40

RPM40

• 14,312 posts

Posted Today, 00:44

Yes, he was doing fine then took it too far.  If right throughout the season you are asking the team to tell the other guy to move over then you're no world champion are you?

Very odd take to say that as a 2 x WDC his advantage should have been baked in.

I don't know how I feel about this year, I really don't.  I don't see Lando winning the championship whether Oscar helps him or not, but if Oscar does help him, even if it's say, twice, which is probably all we're talking about anyway, then Oscar has still had to give up performance, it would cost him 3rd in the WDC to LeClerc in the process I'm sure, and if Norris still didn't win it would all be for nothing, other than a hit to Oscar.  So thats the concern for me as an Oscar fan.

Team wise, I think what I'd do is this, tell Oscar to support Lando, and from next year onwards, they get to alternate who gets upgrades first regardless of points tally (maybe that in the first half of the year and have a percentage lockout for 2nd half of the year which could override that).  That might be an actual fair compromise all round.

If Webber however was smart enough to have a clause in Oscar's contract that says he doesn't move over whilst mathematically possible, then Oscar should stick to that and keep going for it, there may be repercussions to that here and there, but if Oscar genuinely turns out to be the better driver, the team aren't going to punish him for it and Norris would move on anyway.  IF Oscar just never gets the edge on Lando, then he'll be forced out anyway.....

Summary: No contract clause, McLaren ask for Oscar's help and offer better incentive moving forward.  Contract clause, have at him Oscar, try and get that P2 in WDC

The logic around these discussions tends to be circular in nature too. See right now, Norris undeniably had the 'team favour' earlier in the year as like you said he got the upgrades first and there was team order calls to his benefits. This has resulted in him having a slim advantage in the drivers championship which then leads to further calls for favouritism and it snowballs.

If Piastri starts not racing him this year, the argument will be that he thoroughly outperformed him last year or alternatively that he won the championship therefore he deserves to be favoured etc. 

I agree with you that its likely a lot of talk about nothing at the end of the day. Surely they wouldn't implement orders to the extent that Oscar has to move over and let Lando past if he's genuinely ahead regardless, so all you're talking about is maybe a couple of times that they discourage racing.

#7526 JeanAlesi27

JeanAlesi27

• 1,255 posts

Posted Today, 00:57

The Norris/Piastri situation is very different in that you have a driver who is rising in his performance level and has started to outperform the incumbent driver. 

Yeah,  that's not really true. What are you basing this on?   Tell the points haul since Silverstone and then explain Oscars record in Q versus Lando.

Edited by JeanAlesi27, Today, 01:00.

#7527 RPM40

RPM40

• 14,312 posts

Posted Today, 01:17

Yeah,  that's not really true. What are you basing this on?   Tell the points haul since Silverstone and then explain Oscars record in Q versus Lando.

Over the past 6 races he has out scored Lando. Which is quite a significant margin to have done so given their relative experience levels.

I agree that Norris still has a slight qualifying edge, but its easily made by Piastri's superior lap 1 performances. 

#7528 JeanAlesi27

JeanAlesi27

• 1,255 posts

Posted Today, 01:23

Over the past 6 races he has out scored Lando. Which is quite a significant margin to have done so given their relative experience levels.

I agree that Norris still has a slight qualifying edge, but its easily made by Piastri's superior lap 1 performances. 

Yeah,  you're stretching it in a big way.   Slight qualifying edge?  Are you serious?  

#7529 Outsider

Outsider

• 981 posts

Posted Today, 03:13

why not take over past 16 races, as it's actually taken into consideration while giving out WDC and WCC titles.. you can always put "over past x number races" to suit your agenda. but in the end of the year it does not matter

#7530 kumo7

kumo7

• 8,249 posts

Posted Today, 03:14

Mika is speaking in his term, in his vision in Dennis Era.

Obviously, McLaren now is NOT McLaren of Dennis. Now the supporters like me wants to see the points of the current McLaren.

Never the less, the point Mika is telling us is that the team CAN achieve the WDC only when the team backs one driver. For this year, it is Norris.

As of 2025, I am thrived to see Norris-Piastri go head to head, out smart each other and beat the rest of the grid fair and square, showing off the superiority of the McLaren above the other. Do you want to joint force with this idea? I think yes. If you only want Piastri to be the WDC, the team is losing the HALF the chance, while the two drivers are nearly equal in terms of its performance.  :up:

Edited by kumo7, Today, 03:14.

#7531 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 30,864 posts

Posted Today, 03:25

The logic around these discussions tends to be circular in nature too. See right now, Norris undeniably had the 'team favour' earlier in the year as like you said he got the upgrades first and there was team order calls to his benefits. This has resulted in him having a slim advantage in the drivers championship which then leads to further calls for favouritism and it snowballs.

If Piastri starts not racing him this year, the argument will be that he thoroughly outperformed him last year or alternatively that he won the championship therefore he deserves to be favoured etc. 

I agree with you that its likely a lot of talk about nothing at the end of the day. Surely they wouldn't implement orders to the extent that Oscar has to move over and let Lando past if he's genuinely ahead regardless, so all you're talking about is maybe a couple of times that they discourage racing.

Also, Oscar risk a lot of reputational damage if he starts giving up his opportunities to beat Lando. As it is, people only look at points and H2H stats. People don't talk about how Norris got the full upgrade first in Miami, how the safety car changed that race, or Mclaren screwing Oscar in Silverstone. All of this is ignored and then the points and H2H are used to justify Lando getting priority without any context. It's a vicious cycle.

Oscar has had good momentum in the rivalry in the last 6 races. In these last 8 races, he could really tilt the H2H and points in his favor which will grow his confidence and reputation further. If Mclaren deny him that, no one will remember. It will just be remembered as a season where Norris "dominated" Piastri "on points" without discussing how Piastri might have been denied the opportunity to beat Lando in any of the last 8 races. These are the kinds of things Oscar will have to read and be antagonized by in the news, social media, and his press interviews. They won't give him a fair accounting. Will he begin to doubt himself? It's not something you want to poison a young driver with. You have to protect their freedom to determine their own fate. It shouldn't be taken out of his hands. Mclaren have minded that so far. 

Edited by ARTGP, Today, 03:42.

#7532 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 3,070 posts

Posted Today, 03:31

Yeah,  you're stretching it in a big way.   Slight qualifying edge?  Are you serious? 

You claim to be a McLaren fan right?  Not a Norris fan?  So this should be easy for you....

Norris, by his own admission, screwed up a lot of qualifying laps last year, correct?  Does this mean he lacked the speed or just had to refine his approach?  Because Norris said he had to change his approach slightly, which he's done to excellent effect this season, but the speed was always there.

Now, let's talk about Piastri, in just his 2nd year, there is no doubt lately he has failed to improve his 2nd run in Q3, so maybe. change in approach is required, does that mean he doesn't have the speed?  Let's see qualifying results all the way back to Miami....

Miami - Lando -0.08 with car advantage - Team admitted Oscar had a 0.15 sec car disadvantage - so this one's Oscars - Team admission remember?

San Marino - Oscar -0.017 - only lost that starting position due to grid penalty, but that doesn't mean he didn't do a faster lap than Lando right?

Monaco - Oscar -0.118

Canada - Lando -0.103

Spain - Oscar no Q3 time - his fault, just like Lando had last year sometimes

Austria - Lando 0.33 - This is where Oscar lost a very strong lap time to a marginal track limits call - but rules are rules, no drama, but that wasn't a true speed differential - you'll remember, of course, as a neutral fan, Lando has lost Q3 laps to track limits in the past too, it didn't suddenly make him slower

Worth noting this was around the start of Oscar starting to not really getting the best out of his 2nd Q3 laps, no excuses, is what it is... but read on, the gaps aren't exactly damning...

Silverstone - Lando -0.207

Austria - Lando -0.022

Belgium - Lando -0.046 - only an extremely biased individual wouldn't agree that Oscar was faster all weekend, had traffic on final Q3 lap

Zandvoort - Lando -0.499 - great final lap by Lando, best of the season, Oscar stuffed his last lap, the gap prior was 0.1 sec

Monza - Lando -0.109

So, let's see....

Oscar faster in 2 sessions

Oscar faster in 1 session, car corrected

Lando faster by under 0.05 sec in 2 sessions

Lando faster between 0.1 and 0.12 sec in 2 sessions

So that's 7 sessions where the qualy gap, no matter who in front, was under 0.12 sec

Lando faster by 0.207 in 1 session

Now the outliers:

Lando faster by 0.33 in 1 session - Oscar lost fastest time

Lando faster by 0.499 in 1 session - excellent lap by Lando, no improvment by Oscar

Oscar NR in 1 session - I think he aborted both laps?  I can't recal

So, tell me, as a neutral fan, how is that not a close qualifying battle, other than the 2 outliers and one error that Oscar has made, pretty much in line with Lando last year?

#7533 RPM40

RPM40

• 14,312 posts

Posted Today, 03:40

Also, Oscar risk a lot of reputational damage if he starts giving up his opportunities to beat Lando. As it is, people only look at points and H2H stats. People don't talk about how Norris got the full upgrade first in Miami, how the safety car changed that race, or Mclaren screwing Oscar in Silverstone. All of this is ignored and then the points and H2H are used to justify Lando getting priority without any context. It's a vicious cycle. Oscar has had good momentum in the rivalry in the last 6 races. In these last 8 races, he could really tilt the H2H and points in his favor which will grow his reputation further. If Mclaren deny him that, no one will remember. It will just be remembered as a season where Norris "dominated" Piastri "on points" without discussing how Piastri might have been denied the opportunity to beat Lando in any of the last 8 races. These are the kinds of things Oscar will have to read and be antagonized by in the news, social media, and his press interviews. They won't give him a fair accounting. Will he begin to doubt himself? It's not something you want to poison a young driver with. You have to protect their freedom to determine their own fate. It shouldn't be taken out of his hands.

Completely agreed. Piastri suffered roughly a 30 point swing at Miami due to bad luck with the safety car timing. That is when he was already running an inferior spec of the car.

Suddenly with those additional points the gap between them is negligible and he’s in discussion for the title himself.

Over the remainder of the season he could continue to show his development.

The possibilities in a winning car come around infrequently, some drivers never get that in their whole career and there is no guarantee it will be the same next season.

#7534 kumo7

kumo7

• 8,249 posts

Posted Today, 03:44

The same list you used can be read as follow. Just showing some other people can read it.

Miami - Lando

San Marino - Oscar

Monaco - Oscar

Canada - Lando

Spain - Lando

Austria - Lando

Silverstone - Lando

Austria - Lando

Belgium - Lando

Zandvoort - Lando

Monza - Lando

LLLLLLLL 8 

OO    2

#7535 frosty125

frosty125

• 1,242 posts

Posted Today, 06:45

Mika is speaking in his term, in his vision in Dennis Era.
Obviously, McLaren now is NOT McLaren of Dennis. Now the supporters like me wants to see the points of the current McLaren.

Never the less, the point Mika is telling us is that the team CAN achieve the WDC only when the team backs one driver. For this year, it is Norris.

As of 2025, I am thrived to see Norris-Piastri go head to head, out smart each other and beat the rest of the grid fair and square, showing off the superiority of the McLaren above the other. Do you want to joint force with this idea? I think yes. If you only want Piastri to be the WDC, the team is losing the HALF the chance, while the two drivers are nearly equal in terms of its performance. :up:

This is about right.

The team can’t make 2024 their BMW 2008 moment. Also I want both drivers to have equal opportunity to go for the 25 title at the start of the season until it is necessary to back one over the other.

#7536 JeanAlesi27

JeanAlesi27

• 1,255 posts

Posted Today, 06:47

You claim to be a McLaren fan right?  Not a Norris fan?  So this should be easy for you....

So, tell me, as a neutral fan, how is that not a close qualifying battle, other than the 2 outliers and one error that Oscar has made, pretty much in line with Lando last year?

Q is as following:

Lando Norris 14-2 Oscar Piastri
Sprint qualifying: Lando Norris 2-1 Oscar Piastri

Leave this fan BS out of the discussion.   It should be easy for anyone looking this years Qualification results that Lando's advantage is apparent.

#7537 Ben1980

Ben1980

• 1,441 posts

Posted Today, 06:49

In the last 5 races I thinks it's level on points, over last 8 Lando leads on points, and that includes when he was taken out by Max. It's very tight, and you'd expect it to be very tight. They have a good car so should be getting lots of points.

I think Oscar is a very good driver, I don't necessarily expect him to suddenly get better and wipe the floor with Lando though. I think it will stay tight again next year though.

Obviously he needs to improve his qualifying as is being smashed on that.

Team orders will be played by ear. I do expect they will be told to be more cautious if leading on lap one, amd not risk anything for tge team. I also wouldn't expect a win is swapped over, but wouldn't be surprised if a 2nd and 3rd is swapped.

I also wouldn't expect it to be much of an option, tge car isn't dominant and it they are still fighting other drivers. I don't think they lockout Baku.

#7538 Ben1980

Ben1980

• 1,441 posts

Posted Today, 06:51

Q is as following:
Lando Norris 14-2 Oscar Piastri
Sprint qualifying: Lando Norris 2-1 Oscar Piastri

Leave this fan BS out of the discussion. It should be easy for anyone looking this years Qualification results that Lando's advantage is apparent.

I had to check because I was surprised at how obe sided it was.

#7539 New Britain

New Britain

• 8,380 posts

Posted Today, 07:08

Completely agreed. Piastri suffered roughly a 30 point swing at Miami due to bad luck with the safety car timing. That is when he was already running an inferior spec of the car.

Suddenly with those additional points the gap between them is negligible and he’s in discussion for the title himself.

Over the remainder of the season he could continue to show his development.

The possibilities in a winning car come around infrequently, some drivers never get that in their whole career and there is no guarantee it will be the same next season.

Why would you cite the '30 point swing' in Lando's favour in Miami but ignore the 30 point swing in Oscar's favour in Austria? :confused: