Photo

Sad car graveyard in Sweden ...

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Cargo

Cargo

• 244 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:00

Edited by Cargo, 06 November 2018 - 08:40.

Advertisement

#2 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:40

Beautiful pictures though. I'd love to visit that.

#3 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,877 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:21

To me it's junk that need to be dug out and recycled.

Don't get me wrong in as much as I appreciate vintage cars and also get nostalgic (especially the Saab 96), but those carcasses are beyond salvation and is a blight on the forest.

#4 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,042 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:31

May they RIP......Rest In Pieces.

#5 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:34

A wet climate hastens the death of those cars. They are scrap metal. Very doubtfull that even mechanical parts are salvageable.

#6 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,576 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:51

A wet climate hastens the death of those cars. They are scrap metal. Very doubtfull that even mechanical parts are salvageable.

Don't think there are many mechanical parts there, a report I read on this said that anything useful like engines & gearbox had been removed before the cars' remains were dumped. The wheels & tyres seem to have been taken off as well, move along please, nothing to see here.

#7 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:14

I bet there are all sorts of creatures living in and around them now. Nice sheltered spaces for a sleepy wolverine or a nesting ground bird.

Old scrapyards make me sad, but when they get like this, they are a comforting reminder that almost everything returns to nature eventually.

#8 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,300 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:43

To me it's junk that need to be dug out and recycled.

Don't get me wrong in as much as I appreciate vintage cars and also get nostalgic (especially the Saab 96), but those carcasses are beyond salvation and is a blight on the forest.

Digging them out and sending them to a recycling plant will do more damage to the ecology/environment than just leaving them there. Besides, most of the cars look more in need of a smelter than a recycler...

#9 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:30

the Saab in the third image down looks to have what looks like Minifin brake drums covers (there is a better view in one of the other images), is that normal on a Saab? Also a few of the cars look very salvageable. Not cost effective but salvageable.

#10 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,081 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 13:50

What is the underlying story here? Why are hundreds of cars rotting and rusting away in a Swedish forest? To me seems a lot of the cars, if not most can be 'recycled' as some sort of display for movie theaters, auto shops, car dealers, car wreckers, incorporated into an out or inside furnishing of your home. Getting them out of the forest likely the hardest part.

:cool:  

#11 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,877 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 13:55

KWSN, you have obviously not driven round the beautiful Swedish country lanes as much as I have. You can not go from one 'socken' to another without seeing at least one of these piles. The one in the picture seems pretty big, but they are all over.

#12 uffen

uffen

• 1,892 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 14:18

Digging them out and sending them to a recycling plant will do more damage to the ecology/environment than just leaving them there. Besides, most of the cars look more in need of a smelter than a recycler...

That's what the recycler does, sells the carcass to the smelter.

#13 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,081 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 14:42

KWSN, you have obviously not driven round the beautiful Swedish country lanes as much as I have. You can not go from one 'socken' to another without seeing at least one of these piles. The one in the picture seems pretty big, but they are all over.

Well that just extend the question, why are there car graveyards all over Sweden?

I think we should be told....

#14 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,877 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 17:44

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...rkogĂĄrd sverige

As you can see they are all over there.

Edited by jcbc3, 06 February 2014 - 17:45.

#15 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,081 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 18:18

But why?

#16 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,877 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 19:33

WHO could ever know what goes on in the Swedish minds???

#17 Tomas Karlsson

Tomas Karlsson

• 681 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 19:53

I think there are only two in Sweden. One in Småland and one in Värmland. Both are situated out in the woods far from cities or neighbours. Both old scrapyards that had closed down and the owner's had just shut the doors. Before the authorities had started to do something about them, someone had seen the potential in them for tourism. A lot of artists and photographer's have been there already.

Edited by Tomas Karlsson, 06 February 2014 - 19:54.

#18 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,081 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 20:14

So now I would not be allowed to haul them of for decorative purposes in my living room? And did jcbc3 not clearly state they were all over Sweden? This gets to be a curiouser and curiouser tale. :cool:

#19 Tomas Karlsson

Tomas Karlsson

• 681 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 20:26

:lol:  jcbc3's source was hits on Google, but they were all talking about the same two places. And one in the States...

Advertisement

#20 Tomas Karlsson

Tomas Karlsson

• 681 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 20:33

The two tourist spots:

The one in Töcksfors Värmland (where they drive the Swedish rally now):

http://www.turistgar...ansson-bilskrot

And the one in SmĂĄland (where they drove F1 in the 70ies):

http://www.visitting...-pa-kyrko-mosse

#21 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,877 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 20:37

Sorry, but Thomas I wasn't just talking about the tourist attraction ones. I was talking of all towns being littered with scrap cars. You may not notice them yourself because they are so natural to you, but for someone from a country where we don't let the cars rot in the back yards or fields it is noticeable.

#22 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,081 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 20:44

Cars in Sweden being Usd 2.00 to the Lbs, and Usd 132456456.17 to the Lbs in Denmark could be part of the reason for less car memorials in Denmark. The memorials are still cool to me, but hauling them to New Jersey will not really happen. I could try schedule a vacation in the Appalachians maybe I can find some good stuff there.

#23 Tomas Karlsson

Tomas Karlsson

• 681 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 21:26

I don't know which Swedish towns you have been to, jcbc3. Not in my little town it seems. But when you get out in the country, you'll find those spare-part cars in the backyards. When I travelled in a remote part of the country this summer, I was wondering if it was some kind of garden decorating stuff. That people bought an old wreck for the backyard, just because all the neighbours had one...

#24 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 22:23

Don't think there are many mechanical parts there, a report I read on this said that anything useful like engines & gearbox had been removed before the cars' remains were dumped. The wheels & tyres seem to have been taken off as well, move along please, nothing to see here.

The A30 does have a diff, front suspension etc. At least one car has an engine. But the moisture has probably killed most of those items too.
I once bought a couple of diff centres ex US seemingly from similar conditions. The crownwheels where they had been out of the oil had rust pits. I did use them in a race car but they would be noisy in a road car.

#25 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,395 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:16

It was a similar thing in Hawaii when i was there in the 1970's,late models cars like Mustangs just left on or near the side of the road to rust,abandoned cars everywhere when sightseeing.I haven't been back since but was told they had a cleanup campaign in the 1980's. 

#26 Tomas Karlsson

Tomas Karlsson

• 681 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:29

Just to sort things out, you are not allowed to leave cars to rust by the road in Sweden. That's a criminal offence. You won't find a lot of old car-wrecks in the Swedish cities either, since the neighbours would complain and the owners would have to get rid of them. But out in the country, you'll probably see old car-wrecks standing behind the barns.

In the 80ies there were still a lot of old scrapyards with exciting finds, but in later years with a higher enviromental understanding they have all gone. Except for these two that have become tourist magnets.

I'm an artist myself and since I love to draw old rusty car-wrecks, I surely miss some of those car graveyards. But maybe I should do a series of pictures of the lonely back-yard wrecks instead... :cool:

#27 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,300 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:39

That's what the recycler does, sells the carcass to the smelter.

Strictly speaking, a smelter processes ores into metals, so I was simply pointing out that the rust-to-metal ratio of the cars in question was on the high side.

#28 P.Dron

P.Dron

• 374 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:08

There is a car dump in the woods near Fayence in the Var (southern France) that ceased active operation some years ago. The eccentric and apparently irascible owner's 1970s Mercedes is still parked on the verge outside, rotting away silently. On the other side of the fence, there are still many wrecks. There used to be quite an interesting collection of old BMWs, mostly 2002s and mostly in what seemed reasonably good condition, certainly salvageable. Whether they are still there I have no idea, as the vegetation has hidden whatever remains from view. As for the owner, perhaps he is rotting away also on the other side of the fence.

#29 RCH

RCH

• 1,139 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:13

Somehow not the eco friendly image we are given of Sweden!

I remember years ago passing a Porsche 911 seemingly abandoned and left to rot not far from the edge of a road but probably difficult to extract somewhere in France close to the border with Luxembourg. Often wonder whether it is still there. :well:

#30 Tomas Karlsson

Tomas Karlsson

• 681 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:14

Somehow not the eco friendly image we are given of Sweden!

Eh... don't understand that comment.

#31 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,877 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:11

He thinks that not disposing of cars where you seperate the different plastics and recycle them and letting the fluids (washer, oil, gas) slowly seep into the ground is not eco friendly. As well as the eye sore that a rotting car is to many.

#32 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 13:08

In my early crossings of the Nullarbor (1970s) I enjoyed looking at the numerous cars abandoned behind the old homesteads, where intrepid travellers had been forced to proceed otherwise when their cars expired, and I used to wonder about some of them. There used to be a Daimler, 1950s, abandoned at Nullabor Station in among the dead Holdens and Fords. Who in their right mind would drive across 1,000 miles of very bad goat track, which it was then, in an antique (or even new) Daimler Conquest?  Not a lot of Daimler dealers en route.

It's very dry out that way, so the derelict cars are probably still there, badly suburned but not too rusty. There's just no value in trying to cart them away, so there they stay.  There are lots of old cars on remote outback sheep and cattle stations which weren't worth taking into town (several hundred miles away in some cases) to repair; so the owners would dump them down the back, and presumably Mum and Dad would jump in their plane, fly to the town, buy a new car, and one of them would drive it home.

It's getting worse these days as cars are ever more throw-away. I've seen late-model cars abandoned by the highway, plates removed. Not worth recovering.

#33 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,703 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 16:14

I have no sociological observations; I simply like the photos. Thanks for sharing. 

#34 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,081 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 19:10

I have no sociological observations; I simply like the photos. Thanks for sharing. 

Concur, I do not find this sad at all. Tried finding the Swedish places on Google Maps, but could not.

#35 Tomas Karlsson

Tomas Karlsson

• 681 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 21:33

He thinks that not disposing of cars where you seperate the different plastics and recycle them and letting the fluids (washer, oil, gas) slowly seep into the ground is not eco friendly. As well as the eye sore that a rotting car is to many.

Well, if you think you'll find cars rotting away all over Sweden, you'll get disappointed. They all end up in the scrapyards sooner or later. The ones in the two "graveyards" are disposed of all fluids of course, and are left there because car enthusists have worked hard for it. If there were car graveyards all over Sweden, these two would not have been the tourist magnets that they are.

#36 Tomas Karlsson

Tomas Karlsson

• 681 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 21:41

Concur, I do not find this sad at all. Tried finding the Swedish places on Google Maps, but could not.

Try Töcksfors, or Tocksfors and Tingsryd. I found both on Google maps. But from there it gets harder... Somewhere out in the green...

#37 RCH

RCH

• 1,139 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 14:58

Sorry, here in the UK we are constantly being reminded that we are never doing enough recycling, not saving enough energy, never doing enough to combat global warming, Scandinavian countries are forever being held up as shining examples of what we should be doing. The idea therefore of cars being left to rot in Sweden :eek: just seems very strange to me. Not that I am criticising it! :cool:

#38 Tomas Karlsson

Tomas Karlsson

• 681 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:01

OK, I give up! There were an debate article in one of Sweden's biggest newspapers yesterday, where an enviromental organization demanded that the recycle money you got up until 2007 should be reinstated and that the car companies should take a bigger responsability. There are one million unregistered cars in Sweden according to them. So we do have a problem, although the cars are spread out over the country, and not piled up like in the photos.

http://www.svd.se/op...lar_8973360.svd

#39 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,877 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:17

I stand vindicated!

(If this crap piece of BB-code had smileys, the above statement would have been followed by a winky, to signify that it is all in good fun)

Edited by jcbc3, 10 February 2014 - 08:19.

Advertisement

#40 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,042 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:27

;)

#41 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:31

Sorry, here in the UK we are constantly being reminded that we are never doing enough recycling, not saving enough energy, never doing enough to combat global warming, Scandinavian countries are forever being held up as shining examples of what we should be doing.

When some of us were young, true recycling was common: e.g. we had returnable glass bottles for beer and soft drinks and our cars went to scrapyards where they were dismantled and reusable parts were sold to the public for reuse.

We now scrap glass bottles in the name of "recycling" and I gather that it takes much the same energy to make glass from old glass as from raw materials.

It is now quite hard to buy second-hand car parts for recent models and the short-sighted bureaucrats will soon make it impossible. Where's the "greenness" in that? :p

Edited by Allan Lupton, 10 February 2014 - 08:32.

#42 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,877 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:48

;)

I know the problem is on 'my side' of the PC/BB interface. The challenge is that before the recent (and I use the word in it's most abstract sense) upgrade I had no issues in neither IE or Chrome. Now, I do.

#43 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,081 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:17

I know the problem is on 'my side' of the PC/BB interface. The challenge is that before the recent (and I use the word in it's most abstract sense) upgrade I had no issues in neither IE or Chrome. Now, I do.

Must be living close to the Swedish pollutants mucking about with you.