Photo

Mauro Pane - RIP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 13:37

I don't think it has been reported anywhere else on this forum but I was very saddened to see that historic racer Mauro Pane, who did the driving parts on behalf of Daniel Bruihl in the Lauda 'Ferrari' in Ron Howard's film "Rush" was found dead in his road car in a river on February 9th. The circumstances of his death have yet to be established.

Having seen Mauro campaign his Tyrrell P34 in a very spirited fashion at Monaco several times, I have to say that he will be sorely missed. My sympathies go to all his family and friends.

Advertisement

#2 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,151 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 16:13

I don't follow Historic Racing that much, but I still recall Pane driving the P34 at the Nürburgring several years ago - spirited, yes, that's the word. Sorry to hear of his passing! :(

#3 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,431 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 17:11

Mauro Pane competed in the Italian Trofeo FISA Formula 2000 (a sort of Formula 3-B series) in the early 1990, finishing 9th in points in 1991, 8th in 1992 and again 9th in 1994.

53 years of age. Very very sad.

:(

#4 Pink Snail

Pink Snail

• 521 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 23:35

I have been on holiday in Portugal and heard whilst away of the accident that took the life of Mauro Pane. One of the true gentleman drivers in Historic Racing and in particular Formula One, Mauro`s death has left my family stunned. That he was just getting his life back to normal after the loss of his wife, I was looking forward to seeing him again this year. In 2008, he steered the P34 six wheel Tyrrell to the Historic F1 Championship and carried the Pink Snail sticker (in memory of my niece) from Donington throughout the rest of the year.On becoming champion he sent me a lovely message saying he`d keep the sticker forever after his memorable year. As we returned to the paddock at Brands Hatch in 2009, he welcomed us with open arms and greeted us like lost friends. 50 years old (same age as me!) is far too young to be taken, and I am sure we had not seen the last of Mauro, alas it`s not to be. The world of Masters Historic F1, formerly Historic F1 and before it the Thoroughbred Grand Prix Championship, is now missing one of it`s most memorable characters/drivers and car preparation experts and Mauro will be greatly missed by many people. Ciao a tutti Mauro, Rest in Peace my friend, god bless and you will always be in the thoughts of the Moralee family. :cry:  Keith, Diane and family xxxx