- - - - -

V8 Supercar engines

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,770 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:13

Just heard TIm Slade on the radio, he was driving for Erebus last year running a private Mercedes in the series. He made it very clear that the biggest issue by far for their poor performance (and Nissan's) is that they simply cannot get the same power or fuel efficiency Ford and Holden are getting. 

I know it is tough for new teams but I am surprised Nissan is struggling with this so much (there's factory money involved), does anyone here have any insight into the technical dramas they may be having? TO be clear, he's saying they are down on power and they are thirsty. 

Advertisement

#2 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:03

I only have a vague idea. I am long out of that scene. 

Though my thoughts are that maybe they should start thinking instead of whinging. Mechanically the new players all have supposedly better engines. OHC. 4 valve and are vaguely modern engines unlike the Boss 302 based Ford and to an extent Chev too, 45 year old basic infrastructure. Reputedly MB are supplying Erebus their engines, The Nissans are run by a slightly 2nd rate operation though are numeric. And the Volvo...hmmm lets see.

The Benz should be a good engine, it is a  modern performance passenger car engine base, the Nissan is reputedly Patrol, a commercial engine. Though we have yet to see one in Oz.