• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 jal43

jal43

• 138 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:15

2sgu.jpg

Hi friends

Recently I see this image with the M23 Dave charlton in SA'74, but after see  some times I see the nose of M23 is very different as usually.

Is similar at nose  than Emerson run in Monaco and Sain, but is flat up side!!

Never see this nose before, any can say more about this? more images?

thanks a lot

Advertisement

#2 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 984 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:58

normally i would just post a link to the appropriate pics. flickr is being a bit of a bother presently and won't let me see my images so i'm just posting the link to my sets. there may/should be some mclaren snaps from the appropriate time frame in my f1 set.

http://www.flickr.co...681980@N03/sets

#3 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,178 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:38

It's the normal narrow M23 nose, bent upwards through contact (with Richard Robarts's Brabham, iirc).

#4 Peter Brennan

Peter Brennan

• 67 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:05

The nose is not the normal nose, this nose was known as the Winkle picker by McLaren, it was used by Fittipaldi at Monaco and maybe Spain, Was Marlboro /Texaco colors. It came via  John McCormack[Australia] who built a F5000 out of Charltons car. It was much narrower and had longer canards. I have that nose in my shed,

#5 blackmme

blackmme

• 998 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:22

The nose is not the normal nose, this nose was known as the Winkle picker by McLaren, it was used by Fittipaldi at Monaco and maybe Spain, Was Marlboro /Texaco colors. It came via  John McCormack[Australia] who built a F5000 out of Charltons car. It was much narrower and had longer canards. I have that nose in my shed,

Agreed it's the 'Winkle picker' but it's angle is definitely not normal as a postulated by Michael bent upwards.  Or did Mclaren get to the raised nose 15 years before Tyrrell  :cool:

Regards Mike

Edited by blackmme, 26 February 2014 - 11:38.

#6 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,178 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:22

Well, yes, I said "normal narrow", not "normal, narrow"! The original nose of the M23 was broader, but this narrow version was used several times in early 1974. Apart from various tests and practice sessions, I'm pretty sure that all three works cars ran it in the Spanish and Monaco GPs.

#7 Peter Brennan

Peter Brennan

• 67 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:27

Agreed it's the 'Winkle picker' but it's angle is definitely not normal as a postulated by Michael bent upwards.  Or did Mclaren get to the raised nose 15 years before Tyrrell  :cool:

Is your nose the one that used to hang in the shop at Brands?

Regards Mike

The nose was fitted to an Elfin MR6 F5000 that i owned, John dressed up the Elfin to look like a M23 for display purposes. Somehow i ended up with the nose.

#8 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:58

It was indeed Richard Robarts who Charlton hit - here’s the story as told by Pete Lyons in his Autosport report:

[Charlton] ... was going well until he stuffed his nosepiece into the back of the second works Brabham. Robarts, his oversteer extreme from too hard rear tyres, was also having his engine go all grotty in the middle of the corners. The unavoidable hesitation caught Charlton unawares at Leeukop. As he came dragging shreds of glassfibre into the pits, McLaren’s Alastair Caldwell instantly snatched up one of his team’s spare noses and ran the length of the pits with it – customer service with dispatch. Unfortunately it didn’t fit properly, being one of the narrow-nose types, and more time was lost “modifying” the sub-frame with a hacksaw to accept it somehow. All this dropped the car to dead last of the survivors ...

This would seem to explain the nose's unusual angle.

#9 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,178 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:09

Ah, good! I was already wondering why Charlton was running the latest McLaren nose in a race even before the works team did!

#10 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 13:09

Fittipaldi also had the winkle picker nose on his car at the Race of Champions.

David

#11 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 13:40

Fittipaldi also had the winkle picker nose on his car at the Race of Champions.

David

As did Mike the Bike Hailwood ;-)

#12 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 16:28

... and Denny the Bear - all three McLarens raced with the narrow nose at Brands.

#13 Peter Brennan

Peter Brennan

• 67 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 20:54

Was Fittipaldi the only driver of the Charlton car.

#14 Bonde

Bonde

• 1,072 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 21:39

FWIW, I always preferred the winklepicker aesthetically nose to the other ones - made the whole car more elegenat, IMO. But apparently it wasn't right for the car's aero balance since it wasn't used much, and the later 76-77 variants were even 'blunter' than the 73 original.

#15 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:20

Was Fittipaldi the only driver of the Charlton car.

The Charlton car was chassis M23/2, which was never raced by Fittipaldi. The chassis was raced in 1973 by Peter Revson and Jody Scheckter before passing to Charlton. Full race history on the ORC site:

http://www.oldracing...php?CarID=M23/2

#16 Peter Brennan

Peter Brennan

• 67 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:36

The Charlton car was chassis M23/2, which was never raced by Fittipaldi. The chassis was raced in 1973 by Peter Revson and Jody Scheckter before passing to Charlton. Full race history on the ORC site:

http://www.oldracing...php?CarID=M23/2

#17 Peter Brennan

Peter Brennan

• 67 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:38

Thanks Tim,I would like to repaint the nose in the original colours,was it a Yardley or Marlboro paint scheme.

Edited by Peter Brennan, 27 February 2014 - 09:44.

#18 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:39

Difficult to say, Peter. As Pete Lyons related above, the cone was one of the spares in the McLaren pit at Kyalami 1974. As McLaren were running cars in both Marlboro and Yardley liveries at that race, and as all the M23s had been fitted with the 'winklepicker' in the earlier Race of Champions, the nose that Alastair Caldwell grabbed to fit to Charlton's car could have been in either livery. We need a better photo to make a definite identification.

Edited by Tim Murray, 27 February 2014 - 10:42.

#19 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:38

Here's a slightly better photo:

http://www.motoprint...oducts_id=37590

Looking at photos of the 'winklepicker' nose at other races, the Yardley car had Goodyear logos on the front top edges of the wings, the rest of the top surface being plain white. The Marlboro cars had 'TEXACO' and 'MARLBORO' on the rear top surfaces of the front wings, with 'TEXACO' being on the r/h wing and 'MARLBORO' on the l/h wing. I reckon I can read TEXACO on the r/h wing of the nose fitted to the Charlton car, indicating that it was painted in Marlboro colours.

Advertisement

#20 alansart

alansart

• 4,419 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 13:14

Not particularly good quality but here's the Charlton M23 with the narrow nose. Not at the GP as the number is wrong.

CharltonM23.jpg

Photo credit unknown - found via internet search. Will remove if required.