interesting stuff! thanks for sharing.
do you have pics of downtown Detroit, where the GP used to take place?
Niki's, the pizza restaurant featured in this story as in 1901 the building was the home of the original Dodge Bros. machine shop, was just one block off Turn 7 on the original downtown F1 course.
Also, the first car in the city of Detroit, built by Charles B. King, took its first drive on March 7, 1896. Its route was south on St. Antoine St, then west on Jefferson, and then right (north) on Woodward, At that point the car was on the future F1 course, the leg that connects Turns 9 and 10, past the big statue called the Spirit of Detroit--the one that has served as the backdrop for so many Detroit GP race photos. So in other words, the F1 cars ran on the very same street and place as the first motor car in Detroit -- but going in the opposite direction.
here is a story about that car, its first run, and its young mechanic, Oliver Barthel.
the familiar Spirit of Detroit
Edited by Magoo, 07 March 2014 - 03:25.