Photo

I have not been mugged abroad

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 582 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 17:58

Apologies to those TNF members who are on my e-mail contacts list.

Someone has broken into my email and stolen all my contacts. They are working through the list sending out the usual alarmist e-mails saying that I have been mugged successively this week in the Ukraine, Manila and now Syria. A message to my e-mail address receives a reply from a G-Mail address saying "Yes this really is me". Please do not respond to these messages, delete them and scan your computer.

I am at home in Surrey and have no intention of leaving for a while.

Advertisement

#2 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 18:17

I'm slightly surprised that I didn't get any of "your" panic emails as I did have one of that sort in early February from another btinternet using contact. In that case the reply address was a yahoo one which seems appropriate as Swift described the Yahoos as being filthy and with unpleasant habits.

#3 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 18:27

If that's the case, can you send back the £2000 pounds I sent to help you out, I got it off a Nigerian Prince that emailed me :up:

#4 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 975 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 23:34

Know how you feel, Steve.

I'd lust love to help out, too, but the good wife and I are currently enjoying the first of three Caribbean cruises that we won over the phone.  And all in the space of a week!  Ah..., the good life...

Be back when we can!  :)

In all seriousness, it's no joke.  Sorry for your trials, fuzzi.

#5 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 23:38

Now you've admitted you're in Surrey, will the next one say you've been wheelclamped in Guildford?

In all seriousness I hope that BTnternet sort you out.

Edited by D-Type, 28 February 2014 - 23:39.

#6 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,027 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 23:57

Julian,

I've had multiple e-mails from you over the last few days (really!) unfortunately I have no idea who you are, so have sent increasingly large invoices to whoever sent the mails to me (consultancy fees, etc).  :smoking: 

My wife's e-mail address was used as a "forwarding location"  to multiple e-mail accounts twice over the last month, so we can sympathise.

p.s. I hope enough folks coughed up to pay for your flight.  ;)

#7 john aston

john aston

• 2,683 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:43

I would fear for your reputation if the quite appalling grammar and syntax in said email had come from the pen of such a renowned cartographer. So we deleted it . :D

#8 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,555 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:07

I just deleted the email and enjoyed the schadenfreude moment

Edited by Stephen W, 01 March 2014 - 08:07.

#9 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,244 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:52

Well, at least you got yourself mugged in some interestingly exotic places - the last plea I received was someone who'd only gone to the Costa Brava.

I never trust any of this modern technology though; it's fountain pens, airmail paper, gramophone records and carburettors for me.

Besides, I couldn't have helped you anyway Fuzzi - my funds are all safely tucked away in Mt. Gox...

#10 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:07

Aren't fountain pens a bit high-tech?

#11 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,576 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:49

In all seriousness I hope that BTnternet sort you out.

I think that's all you can do, I was the victim of a similar attack about one month ago, I suspect it originated from eastern Europe. As far as I know my e-mail contacts weren't affected, but I was deluged with junk mail and spam. My IT expert advised that all I could do was report to my ISP Virgin Media, so that's what I did, and eventually they seem to have sorted everything out, but accessing through webmail I found 48,000 messages in my inbox, and 23,000 in the webmail junk folder, every one of which had to be deleted page by page. Virgin told me to redirect all them by clicking on "reported as spam", which seemed to do the trick, I imagine they must have tracked the source. Probably not unconnected that I had a raid on my PayPal account, though PayPal were very helpful in putting this right. I'd advise changing all of your financially-linked passwords and memorable phrases though, and I'm rather hurt that Fuzzi didn't ask me to send funds to help him escape from wherever he was alleged to be.