Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

2014 12 Hours of Sebring

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

Poll: Which race will you be more interested in? (45 member(s) have cast votes)

12 Hours of Sebring or Australian Grand Prix?

1. Sebring (9 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. Melbourne (36 votes [80.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,548 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 20:28

sebring_promo2.png
For...
sebring12h_logo.jpg
Presented by
alms_-_tusc.jpg
Brought to you by Sebring Fantasy Ad Co., Inc.

Visit sunny Sebring, home to North America's premier twelve-hour endurance event! There's no other race like it on this continent--every year, a collection of the world's most prestigious teams and drivers* makes the pilgrimage to that sunny little slice of Florida called Sebring to participate in one of America's most iconic endurance races. Thousands of spectators do, as well, and you should, too! There's so much to do down in Sebring during the week-long celebration of motorsport that you'll almost forget that you're there for motorsport! Check out some of the many attractions present at Sebring's twelve-hour marathon:

Take a look at some fish at one of the many fan-maintained aquariums!
sebring_fish.jpg(Actual location of aquariums may vary--check with fans for details.)

Get up close and personal with some historic race cars!
sebring_mclf1.jpgsebring_r18.jpg
(Actual cars may differ from cars shown* and may or may not be considered 'historic' by all.)

Buy a Ferrari race car!
sebring_ferrari.jpg
(Name and number blurred for legal reasons. Available while supplies last. Limit two per person.)

Get your picture taken with the Momo girls, like [censored] did here!
sebring_girls.jpg
(Name and face blurred for legal reasons. Girls shown may differ from actual girls. Sunglasses not included.)

Take a lap around Road Atlanta like the vice-president of Sebring Fantasy Ad Co., Inc., Solaris Cabrezza-Malone!
sebring_forza.jpg
(Name and face not blurred for legal reasons. Do not attempt. Professional virtual driver on virtual closed course.)

And while you're there, be sure to visit the charming riviera located along the back straight, just after the old 'safety pin' hairpin turn! You'll be welcomed into a charming avenue full of some of the most cultured, civilised racing fans you'll ever meet--fun for the whole family!

sebring_compound.jpg
sebring_clothing.jpg
sebring_party.jpg
('Sebring Compound' is a registered trademark of 'Sebring Compound'. Don't argue. Enter at your own risk.)

So what're you waiting for? The race is in a week! Book your hotels and flights and hop on down to Sebring for a rip-roarin', all-American, awesome 12 Hours of Sebring Presented by American Le Mans Series Tudor United Sportscar Championship and a grand 'ol time this weekend!

*LMP1 not included.

This concludes advertising paid for by Sebring Fantasy Ad Co. Inc.

~*~

sebring_raceway_map.jpg

If, on the weekend of the 12 Hours of Sebring, you were to generate a satellite map of the Earth illustrating the average alcohol and tobacco consumption in any given area in a manner not dissimilar to city lights, the glow around Sebring would extend off of either side of the Florida panhandle and partway into Georgia (for those of you not up on cooking parlance, we mean the whole dang peninsula). Put simply, the 12 Hours of Sebring means one thing for most of its spectators:

springbreak.gif

Mark my words: the 12 Hours of Sebring is like no other race on the planet. No matter which series is hosting it, no matter who's competing, and no matter what the weather is like, there is a sense of atmosphere you will find at Sebring that is a flavour all its own. In the US, it's the first major circuit race of the year held in moderately warm weather--and generally, the point at which the US sportscar racing season gets truly underway.

Sebring is not for the faint of heart--man or machine. While it looks and sounds like 'sunny Florida', the reality of the matter is that the race is a grueling, twelve-hour long trial of heat, dust, and a swathe of alcohol and tobacco fumes so thick you could almost get crushed by them--a gritty trial of endurance that has been a tradition since... well, forever, really:

sebring_historic.jpg

So since you're reading this, I'm assuming you want a way to follow it. The first three hours of the race will be broadcast live on Fox Sports 1 in the US (I'm assuming there's some sort of NASCAR nonsense going on for the remainder of the afternoon), and after that, coverage shifts to live streaming from IMSA's website (even though the race is streamed free online, I'm sure jp's Nigerian Streaming Club will be along sooner or later). A highlights show will be available the next morning at 8:30 AM. Here are some links that might prove helpful:

Sebring Raceway Official Website
Race Info
Event Schedule
IMSA Official Site (live streaming can be found here from the third hour onwards)
TUSC Season TV Schedule
Tickets (yeah, right)

Also, the Continental Tire Sportscar Challenge guys will be running on the Friday before the 12 Hours of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Campfire Smoke at 1PM local time--the race will be streamed from IMSA's website. Worth a look if you're desperate for a vroom-vroom fix. The weekend's prime event begins at 10:15 AM local time.

So, granted, this wasn't the biggest or best opening post yet, but there's a reason for that, and a reason that I'm excited about this race on the whole: for the first time ever, I'll be flagging it! I don't know which corner I'll be flagging from for the race until Friday--or if I'll be able to provide you guys here with any on-site updates--but if all else fails I'll be sure to post a few pictures and keep a travel diary here for the rabid crowd of two or three people that'll be following this as well as the Australian GP this weekend, lol.

Less than a week away--can't wait! :wave:

Advertisement

#2 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 20:46

Always an interesting event, and I'll be sure to tune in for a while.

Have fun out there, Afterburner. :up:

#3 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,584 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 20:56

Here's hoping Seabass can take another blueriband win home.

#4 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 20:58

Grand-Am Tudor Sports Car Series really messed up my love for American sportscar racing. I had originally planned to watch this year's edition as perhaps the final farewell for my long Sebring 12 Hours following tradition, but after witnessing Daytona shambles and all the vicious aftermath that followed I thought it would be best if the 2013 race will be the final memory of this race I shall have. What I'm saying is that as long as it stays under the NASCAR regime, I'll be sitting this one (and PLM) out, unfortunately.

Although it plays a part, it is not just the lack of LMP1. I have no interest in following how the prehistoric tubeframer "prototypes" will go against the cost capped LMP2s in a "fight" that gets performance balanced after every single session, or the GTs that have so many things I despise happening behind the closed doors (and which are also pegged back all the time so that spec prototypes keep ahead). Those, plus the absolutely pathetic FOX media coverage, complete lack of basic logic from the organizing body when it comes to sporting + technical regs + running actual races, and MOST OF ALL almost complete lack international flavour. Doesn't feel the same, it's round 2 for domestic stock car series's sports car division with argey bargey rubbin' is racing mentality. Add fake phantom cautions and wave arounds.

Such fantastic track, such fantastic atmosphere, such fantastic platform for proper old schools racing. Thank you Sebring, you and Petit Le Mans were the little sisters of Le Mans for such a long time, I shall miss you. Until we hopefully meet again, sometime in the future.

PS: I will watch the USCC support race for the Long Beach Grand Prix, but only because it is my favourite street circuit event of the year and I simply watch everything I can from that particular happening. And it's just 100 minute race to get frustrated about. The rest of the season, don't care

Edited by SonnyViceR, 09 March 2014 - 21:07.

#5 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:55

Aren't you a rather arrogant chap SonnyViceR? Maybe you should read your own signature about performance balancing. Or do some basic research (hint: check the entry list before complaining about "lack of international flavour"). I'm not going to bother responding to your stereotypical garbage rant about Nascar, except to remind you that the series is run by IMSA.

#6 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 13:30

Don't under-rate that OP Afterburner, it was excellent!  Particularly the footnotes, oh and the Mammar....ahh I mean Momo girls.

I have to admit that while I think Sonny's rant is over the top, I'm basically with him on some of the issues - so much so that I actually chose Melbourne in the poll.  And this from someone when asked to rank his favourite sports puts Sportscars well ahead of F1.  However, I will watch at least some of Sebring, and hope like hell that the LMP2 cars manage to give the fugly, pile-of-primitive-dinosaur-turd Daytona Protoshits the whooping they deserve.  And NASCAR, sorry Prost1997T, IMSA (owned and sponsored by NASCAR) screwed up royally by not managing to figure out how to get the LMP1 cars in the field.

Oh and have a great time flagging, Afterburner.  Look forward to pics.

Neil

#7 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 9,224 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 13:41

I wondered how long it would take this thread to be derailed by the predictable "everything sucks, I want my two car P1 class back"/Daytona Prototype bashing posts.

I appreciate that TUSCC is not for everyone. That's fine. But it is getting a little boring having to read the constant (and often repeated) points about why you don't like it. Seriously, life is too short to get so hung up about a racing series.

#8 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 14:11

Aren't you a rather arrogant chap SonnyViceR? Maybe you should read your own signature about performance balancing.

What has that to do with anything? Yeah I despise GT3 and modern GTE and cannot really find joy from them in many series, but I don't think GT BoP was my only complaint.

Or do some basic research (hint: check the entry list before complaining about "lack of international flavour").

Hmm yes

#24 Millennium LMP2 (with specs that differ from ACO)

#42 Oak LMP2 (with specs that differ from ACO)

GTLM is technically made of internationals but not really

So what was your point again?

I'm not going to bother responding to your stereotypical garbage rant about Nascar, except to remind you that the series is run by IMSA.

You do realize that when it says it is run by IMSA it doesn't necessarily mean it's actually run by IMSA? Retaining the name of the legendary organizing group is nice , but when Grand-Am buys ALMS & several tracks from Don Panoz you don't seriously expect NASCAR not to be in charge? And do your own research, IMSA has moved it's headquarters from Braselton to Daytona Beach, ie the center of NASCAR world. They are based in the same building, what do you think that means?

Furthermore, have a look at this article

http://www.gordonkir...t_is_no418.html

Particularly towards the end there:

Hill has little faith in the TUSC's vision for the future.

"I don't think the series has a longterm plan," he declared. "I can honestly see sometime next year we'll be running some kind of restrictor plate and they're just going to continue messing with the cars trying to equalize everyone. I think that's going to be their MO for trying to bring a fan base to this series.

"A DP is nothing more than a late seventies Trans-Am car with more bodywork. They're an antique, tube-frame car and the mentality of the people we have to deal with is equally antique. They don't want change, they don't want technology. They're not interested in selling technology and I think it's going to kill them in the long run. They're just hurtling toward the cliff and they don't seem to realize it."

Strong words from some very informed and experienced people. But the fact of the matter is NASCAR has won the battle for control of American motor racing and if people want to race in the TUSC they're going to have to accept NASCAR's constant rule tweaking and 'performance balancing'. The traditional form of racing as we knew it with some type of interesting, forward-looking formula and a clear rulebook set in stone for a few years and has passed into history.

Edited by SonnyViceR, 10 March 2014 - 14:14.

#9 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 9,224 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 14:34

The "they don't want change" quote is particularly ironic when you consider the amount of moaning that goes on in these types of threads...aren't the fans just as guilty as 'not wanting change'?

ALMS was unsustainable. It was dying a slow, painful death. To think for a moment that TUSCC could have somehow magicked up enough interest to warrant an LMP1 class is ridiculous. As proven even in WEC, P1 privateers are in short supply right now, and the big three manufacturers were always going to choose to race in the WEC, despite the allure of Daytona, Sebring or Petit.

It's year one, and to write the whole thing off, and judge whether it'll be a success or failure based on first race, is rather premature. Of course DPs were going to be in TUSCC - for a start, there is plenty more people running them than there was people running P1s at the end of 2013. Plus, no-one wanted to spend money on something brand new, and they didn't have the time to come up with something brand new either. Allowing DPs and P2s to co-exist in the top class has guaranteed a healthy grid, and a starting point for the series to build on. They've already said DPs won't be part of the future, and by 2017 they'll be gone, so what is the issue? If you're so inclined, don't watch till 2017, and let those who don't use NASCAR as a dirty word to enjoy the racing.

Is it perfect? No. Is it as terrible as a lot of people make out? Definitely not.

As for the equality for the DPs/P2s? Well, sure, they didn't get the balance at Daytona exactly right, but give it time. They were never going to get it right in the first race of the first year, but like everything else, it'll improve as they learn more. And the ACO is just as guilty as performance balancing as TUSCC/IMSA.

Edited by JHSingo, 10 March 2014 - 14:39.

#10 917k

• 2,981 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 14:40

What has that to do with anything? Yeah I despise GT3 and modern GTE and cannot really find joy from them in many series, but I don't think GT BoP was my only complaint.

Hmm yes

#24 Millennium LMP2 (with specs that differ from ACO)

#42 Oak LMP2 (with specs that differ from ACO)

GTLM is technically made of internationals but not really

So what was your point again?

You do realize that when it says it is run by IMSA it doesn't necessarily mean it's actually run by IMSA? Retaining the name of the legendary organizing group is nice , but when Grand-Am buys ALMS & several tracks from Don Panoz you don't seriously expect NASCAR not to be in charge? And do your own research, IMSA has moved it's headquarters from Braselton to Daytona Beach, ie the center of NASCAR world. They are based in the same building, what do you think that means?

Particularly towards the end there:

The funny thing is - ALMS was dying a slow death going whole hog down the techno route. I'm not sure if either side is really ''right'' but surely tech isn't the answer at the moment.

ALMS  / IMSA was popular when all motorsport was more popular. Now, you have to fight to get viewers for anything.

#11 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,657 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 16:15

I'll just save the complaints for after the 6 hours at the Glen, 'till then I'm gonna' enjoy Sebring. Sebring, Melbourne, Bristol? Sold.

Great OP there Afterburner, keepin' that ALMS flame alive. So say hi to Florida and especially the Sebring Compound for me. Enjoy yourself son.

Spring Break sounds fun, but, alas I am in the former Warsaw Pact part of Europe so... guess I'll make my own 'break' with some European hotties, hopefully this time without Jagermeister.

Edited by OvDrone, 10 March 2014 - 16:16.

#12 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 2,823 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 17:35

I have no interest in following how the prehistoric tubeframer "prototypes"...

I was pretty sure DPs are carbon fiber monocoques. (?)

#13 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,086 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 17:42

I was pretty sure DPs are carbon fiber monocoques. (?)

LMP2 are carbon fiber monocoques, DP are tubeframe.

#14 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 17:52

If you want your dream series, you have to pay for it.

#15 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,657 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 17:53

I'm still to this day amazed that Gidley survived.

#16 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 22:41

Another great OP! I might try and catch a bit of the race to see what its all about.

Hope you have a great time at the race Afterburner, I look forward to hearing about it and seeing your photos, always good to see what its like from a different viewpoint!

#17 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 22:59

Nice job Afterburner.

Sorry for the buzzkill posts that followed right away.

As Ross says, to play, you must pay, and no one could/would/will put up the cash for running CF protos, especially when the factories come in for a couple of years, destroy everyone, then fade out.

As for ALMS dying a slow death, Sportscars as a whole has for years has been dying a slow death.

Luckily as an old f_c I was there for their glory days back at Riverside, and SC will never return to that.

Enjoy what you get now and quit moaning about it.

#18 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 23:17

Not impossible to see both. Sebring starts 7 hours after Qualy and ends 4 hours before race start.

Will be sad without LMP1 cars though  :cry:

#19 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,657 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:21

LMP1 what?

Advertisement

#20 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:26

LMPwhat?

#21 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,657 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:29

Sportscars as a whole has for years has been dying a slow death.

Porsche and Webber says: 'what?'.

#22 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:04

Porsche and Webber says: 'what?'.

ehhh, should of put a "USA" qualifier in there...

Le Mans is still Le Mans...

Sports Cars here are as jacked up as USOW is, and if you jump in the waaay back machine the whole US scene (IMO) went sideways back in the day when the Sportscar guys went to play at Indy (See:Penske, Gurney et al)

Ackkk, this may revert to the Nostalgia forum in no time !

:drunk:  

#23 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:14

The ALMS had been going downhill since the end of the glory years in 2008, there is no denying in that, but even until last year it was still my favourite racing series in the world. That was just my own opinion, I loved it despite all the obvious flaws. So you guys seriously expect me to be one of those people who is ready to face defeat with smiley faces? Or go along with it simply hoping USCC will provide the goods in time (as in Hindy: "give it a chance, it's your fault if it fails so you need to watch it for few years before you can dismiss it" - wtf??). Why shouldn't I be allowed to voice my displeasure? How would F1 fan feel if the series suddenly joined forces with Sprint Cup and was forced to sit through that?

What I simply stated - perhaps with a bit too much anger I admit - was that I am simply fed up. All in all, this was pretty much the same situation I had had earlier when the proper old FIA GT Championship got canned in favour of the GTWC (sad case in itself)... when the ALMS-GA "merger" was first announced I felt great sadness, but despite concerns had hope that there would be something salvageable in it. In fact, one thing that did seem positive was the calendar which was actually pretty damn good, if you ignore obvious little errors here and there (and awful FOX broadcast details). Now I would be lying if I said that my hope wasn't diminishing in the months leading up to latter half of 2014, but I still wanted to believe that we were gonna see something worth watching. But what we saw in the final months Daytona, and at Daytona itself, just felt very very very Grand-Am to me.

But you see, I used to watch Grand-Am from time to time as passing time and it was okay for what it was - NASCAR on road courses. Tightly controlled entertainment driven argey bargey mishmash. Fine, whatever. It didn't really anger me as it was just it's own entity running alongside there somewhere. Way to spend an afternoon if there was nothing else. Even this year's Daytona, I thought it was quite passable AS GRAND-AM RACE - as that is exactly how it felt - but again, when my former favourite racing series is morphed to go together with... that, why should I have hope? Every single sign I've seen is that this is the direct continuation of Grand-Am with their rules, their television production and their gimmicks. Even if the Daytona Prototypes go away in few years and we move further away from the "technology based in 70's" -mentality, the primary aspect of Grand-Am Road Racing appears to be very high in this series. And that is not for me if I want to watch this as serious motor racing series, not as just "whatever" passing time.

In regards to LMP1, I KNOW how bad it (primaly the privateer market) is, if you've ever read my posts here and elsewhere you know I'm not particularly impressed by the direction ACO has chosen. For the last few years the ALMS P1 class hasn't been the shining beacon it once was and clearly keeping 2-3 privateer-run car class as flagship class for full season wasn't the ideal way to go racing. HOWEVER, keeping LMP1 alive not for full season, but for two or three races (Sebring and PLM) could've worked. You might've gotten Audi and Porsche for Sebring alone. Now I know what you're saying "but that puts domestic USCC prototype teams to second division for those races" - yes true, but that has been the case with Sebring and PLM for 15 ish years...And you cannot really claim that audience would be confused considering you already need to be a diehard fan to understand what is happening in this series...

It is no secret that the dichotomy between the two parties is perhaps even greater than in the Champcar vs IRL days, so what did people expect to happen? And when series so blatantly puts word UNITED in the tile you just know what the deal is.

Edited by SonnyViceR, 11 March 2014 - 10:34.

#24 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:39

Now I know what you're saying "but that puts domestic USCC prototype teams to second division for those races" - yes true, but that has been the case with Sebring and PLM for 15 ish years...

I do have to ask, maybe american teams were upset that the europeans were coming down once or twice a year and efectively wipe the floor exactly on the most iconic races of the shedule? In the end the ALMS was just the american version of the LMP2-only LMS. It partially works in europe because there were 2nd tier european championships before and teams are hoping for a lucky spot at Lemans, also helps being closer to Lemans. But I don't think the americans like the idea of playing with low class toys, it's either top class or they make a top class of their own. I put the blame on Ford and GM for not building an actual LMP1 car and force the germans for a rematch in Daytona.

That's how it always worked, americans wipe the floor at Lemans, europeans cross the ocean the following year for revenge. Staying in the safe zone of DP will get no attention unless the ACO heads wake up one moorning and say "Let's bring the DP's and allow them to race the P1", bloody unlikely and it still falls into the revenge logic.

Back to USC. It seems to me part of the sweeter was the possibilty of P2 cars staying in level with the DP's and have a real shot at winning Sebring and Petit Lemans. Yeah, I agree, DP cars were P1 cars in Daytona, but that's a track like you don't find anywhere else in the world, im still holding on until I see both classes on actual race track, not Daytona Superspeedway with chicanes.

But im sure someone here had already predicted that Daytona=DP Win Sebring=LMP2 Win (was it not you?).

#25 syolase

syolase

• 225 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:15

Sebring? It has anything to do with Vettel?

#26 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 9,224 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:06

As for ALMS dying a slow death, Sportscars as a whole has for years has been dying a slow death.

Love to know what leads you to that conclusion. :confused:

#27 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 2,823 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 16:36

LMP2 are carbon fiber monocoques, DP are tubeframe.

So I suppose Wikipedia has got its info wrong.

#28 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,071 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 19:34

Love to know what leads you to that conclusion. :confused:

Well let's see, zero coverage in newspapers, Dodge quite years ago, Ford never showed up so Chevrolet was racing against itself after a brief foray by Ferrari 11 years ago, Chevrolet Corvette is racing with the same engine they started using well over a decade ago even though the street cars have an entirely different engine, etc., etc., etc.

Like some others here I have been following racing for over fifty years and what road racing is now would not make a good shadow of even that at the turn of the century which was sad compared to what was ten years before that which was pathetic compared to what was....

#29 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,071 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 19:38

So I suppose Wikipedia has got its info wrong.

Yes.

When GARRA created the Daytona prototype tube-frame construction was an absolute requirement; it was the France boy trying to run GARRA in the same manner as NASCAR, as he controlled both.

#30 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 20:01

Well let's see, zero coverage in newspapers, Dodge quite years ago, Ford never showed up so Chevrolet was racing against itself after a brief foray by Ferrari 11 years ago, Chevrolet Corvette is racing with the same engine they started using well over a decade ago even though the street cars have an entirely different engine, etc., etc., etc.

Sure thing.

brit_wtf.gif

#31 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,548 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 21:29

Just to be clear--and I'm not referring to anyone in particular here, this is just a general message--this is not a 'b84ch about the shortcomings of TUSC' thread, but a '12 Hours of Sebring' thread. While I tend to sympathize to a great extent with the detractors of the current series, it's still sportscar racing, and Sebring under TUSC is still better than no Sebring at all. So, if you're not talking about the race, then kindly shut the f :) k up and haul it over to the 'Death of LMP1' thread or whatever it was that rears its pleasantly-optimistic head every once in a while, or instead I'll haul you over to the Sebring Compound.

Thank you. :)

Edited by Afterburner, 11 March 2014 - 21:32.

#32 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 00:27

:lol:  Afterburner.

I've had my bitch, and will be watching Sebring with interest and (hopefully) enjoyment.  Mind you it will be with the fervent, but naive hope that the LMP2's kick the dinosaurs arses back to the 1950s where they came from. :D

And that Ferrari wins in whatever GT categories they're in.

Neil

PS:  Is Sebring Compound where the scantily-clad persons of the female persuasion are to be found?  If so, I'll go quietly, and voluntarily.

Edited by Option1, 12 March 2014 - 00:28.

#33 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 9,224 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:00

Like some others here I have been following racing for over fifty years and what road racing is now would not make a good shadow of even that at the turn of the century which was sad compared to what was ten years before that which was pathetic compared to what was....

Ah, more rose-tinted-spectacles syndrome posts. As if there wasn't enough of those in the majority of the F1 related threads. :rolleyes:

And if newspaper coverage is what determines the health of a racing series, well, everything except F1 is "dying".

Edited by JHSingo, 12 March 2014 - 01:00.

#34 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,548 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:48

PS: Is Sebring Compound where the scantily-clad persons of the female persuasion are to be found? If so, I'll go quietly, and voluntarily.

As tempting as it is to photoshop Jim France's face onto a couple of hookers right now, I simply don't have the energy. So I'll let your imagination do it for me. :p

#35 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,071 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:07

Ah, more rose-tinted-spectacles syndrome posts. As if there wasn't enough of those in the majority of the F1 related threads. :rolleyes:

And if newspaper coverage is what determines the health of a racing series, well, everything except F1 is "dying".

No it comes from actually being there unlike your ignorance is the bliss of youth standard.

#36 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,086 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:28

One thing I've learned recently from starting to watch Sprint Cup and other related series: sometimes it's better to shut parts of your brain down while watching it, in order to lose the background noise and just focus and follow what's going on on-track. At the end of the day, it's still going to be an American-style endurance race (this is the last I'll mention it, but in recent years both ALMS and Grand-Am have been exaggerating with the yellows, so TUSC won't be much different; there, got that out of my system), there's still going to be tactics as well as racing on track. Yes, I'm going to contradict myself with what I say below, but I needed to say that.

Mod note: as mentioned above, this is NOT a thread for complaining about TUSC and its shortcomings, this is a thread for discussing what's actually going on on track at Sebring this week. Please keep to that.

And while there's been bickering, the entry list is now down to 64 cars. http://sportscar365....y-list-updates/

EDIT: Also, according to Sebring's Twitter feed, the gates should be opening within the next 2 hours for the die-hards who've STILL been camping at the gates for weeks.  :up:

#37 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,825 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:18

I'll be watching Sebring. I had the chance to go 4 times spanning back to 1999 (which was a hell of a first year to go! Great race) and it is amazing how quickly 12 hours can pass when there are so many forms of distraction around the track. When I went for the first time as a 14 year old, I was confused and maybe a little scared by the cross dressing drunk passed out on the floor of a greenpark bathroom, but when I returned in 09 and 10 as an adult I figure it out. A case of beer over 12 hours is still a case of beer. Good times.

#38 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 13:29

EDIT: Also, according to Sebring's Twitter feed, the gates should be opening within the next 2 hours for the die-hards who've STILL been camping at the gates for weeks.  :up:

Will be interesting to see if the crowd size remains the same. I'm not sure the sprink break youths got the memo of series ownership changing (not that it matters if the race is afterthough for partying) but there are purists there as well.

It is North America's most attended sportscar event after all and even rivals some of the more mainstream happenings, as much as Daytona doesn't wanna admit that

Even on world scale only Le Mans is on top of that in terms of sportscar attendance, and maybe N24

Edited by SonnyViceR, 12 March 2014 - 13:31.

#39 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 13:44

As tempting as it is to photoshop Jim France's face onto a couple of hookers right now, I simply don't have the energy. So I'll let your imagination do it for me. :p

I was afraid of that.   Fortunately, I sold my imagination to be able to pay my Nigerian Streaming Club dues.

Neil

Advertisement

#40 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,086 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 13:53

Will be interesting to see if the crowd size remains the same. I'm not sure the sprink break youths got the memo of series ownership changing (not that it matters if the race is afterthough for partying) but there are purists there as well.

I'd think a majority of the purists will be annoyed at first, but will still come. Considering that many of them have probably stuck with Sebring through numerous regulations, kinds of cars etc... The "Turn 10 crowd" will most likely turn out in full numbers.

As for attendance, I'd think Sebring generally ranks 3rd in terms of US motorsport events? After the two famous 500-milers?

#41 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 13:56

I was afraid of that.   Fortunately, I sold my imagination to be able to pay my Nigerian Streaming Club dues.

Neil

You got off lucky, I had to sell my sense of humour.

#42 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 14:15

I'd think a majority of the purists will be annoyed at first, but will still come. Considering that many of them have probably stuck with Sebring through numerous regulations, kinds of cars etc... The "Turn 10 crowd" will most likely turn out in full numbers.

As for attendance, I'd think Sebring generally ranks 3rd in terms of US motorsport events? After the two famous 500-milers?

What is a purist, exactly? Every time I hear that word it seems to be code for "person who refuses to believe anything new could be better than anything old" :D

#43 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 15:08

What the **** did I just watch :rotfl: Oh magnus, you so silly

Edited by SonnyViceR, 12 March 2014 - 15:09.

#44 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,548 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 16:31

A few updates on flagging and... flagging... and... stuff:

Nothing's changed with the new series in terms of worker regs, so like at the Petit Le Mans last year, my being caught photographing/videoing during my shift would be a seriously bad idea. So, because of the ensuing legal mishmash that would result if I decided to use any sort of image-capturing wizardry during my shift--and due to the fact that I don't feel like being permanently banned from IMSA events--any photos I put up here will have to come during my breaks, no exceptions, and seeing as I'm working a much larger portion of the race than I did at PLM (8 hours, 2/3, 66.66666667%, whichever you prefer), there may not be a lot of variety in terms of daylight.

Additionally, it looks like I'll be flagging from Turn 7--the 'Safety Pin'--with my brother and a few good friends of mine. More on this to come; I'll know for sure by Friday. Cheers, everyone--and thanks for the compliments on the OP. I'll have to commandeer the Indy GP @ Barber thread when I head down there in April. :wave:

#45 911

• 2,227 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 17:02

I'll be watching both, no doubt.  Besides Le Mans, the 12 Hours of Sebring is my favorite sports car race so I'll definitely be watching that one!

#46 911

• 2,227 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 17:04

I'll be watching Sebring. I had the chance to go 4 times spanning back to 1999 (which was a hell of a first year to go! Great race) and it is amazing how quickly 12 hours can pass when there are so many forms of distraction around the track. When I went for the first time as a 14 year old, I was confused and maybe a little scared by the cross dressing drunk passed out on the floor of a greenpark bathroom, but when I returned in 09 and 10 as an adult I figure it out. A case of beer over 12 hours is still a case of beer. Good times.

I went for the first time in 1992 and it was such an awesome experience.  This was back in the Nissan GTP days.  Anyway, I thought the atmosphere was great and I hear it's even better these days.

#47 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 16:09

Bruce McLaren and Mario Andretti, 1967

The morning after winning Sebring by *12 laps* in a Ford Mk IV

mtrsptshist_786_HR.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CAC

#48 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,548 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:11

Hey guys.

Got back from the track a few minutes ago and am absolutely beat. Worked T16/16a today for TUSC quali and the CTSCC race (which was thoroughly chaotic--definitely catch the re-run of it if you can). Highlights of the day included watching a few fairly close calls involving driver error/mech issues as well as getting a very rare opportunity to be within just a few feet of a Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa running at speed. Cool stuff.

Also hung out at timing and scoring for a little while during one of my breaks and helped out with taping before stopping by the Delta Wing garage to say hi to the guys there. Atmosphere around the southern loop is much nicer than in the northern loop, but that's probably because the southern loop is mostly a paddock area and full of team personnel/friends of personnel. Much less rowdy.

No time to upload pictures tonight--I got a few from T16's different stations on break as well as a few of the paddock area--but I will share a link that someone from T&S gave me: live.raceposition.com. Live timing that apparently works very well.

Anyway, I've got to be at the track again in about 8 hours (will be at T16 again), so I'm off to bed. Still have the sounds of the TUSC cars playing in my head, lol. Nothing else in the world like spending a day at a race track. :)

Edited by Afterburner, 15 March 2014 - 03:13.

#49 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 64,876 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:04

~2 hours till race start. Good luck Afterburner!

#50 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 624 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 13:54

Anyone else watching Justin Bell's grid walk? What's he on or what should he be on?  :drunk:  :lol: