Photo

London Classic Cars Ban

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Simon Davis

Simon Davis

• 288 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 21:36

Although not related to motor sport I thought members of this forum would be interested in the proposed London emissions ban facing classic cars. Such a ban would affect the various events that are held in Central London.

'Classic & Sports Car' magazine is organising a campaign to petition against such a move.

Further details and access to the petition can be found here:-

http://www.classican...ain_story_top_1

Advertisement

#2 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 23:50

The amount of pollutants emitted by an oldish small car weighing perhaps 15 cwt. may well be significantly less than a current 2 tonne "small" Land Rover but then the existing London rules seem to be written more for ease of control than logic.

I needed a coach to transport a group of 23 into the area concerned and was unable to use the firm's 25-seater as only their 35-seaters and bigger were new enough to be used. i.e. we had to use 40% more road space and probably burned more fuel (certainly didn't burn less)  than we would have done with a free choice.

#3 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 23:59

Madness! ):

#4 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 00:07

Signed.  Hopefully it will do some good.

#5 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:50

Signed. My venerable Land Rover Defender ((the best new car purchase I ever made (in value for money terms) in 1998)) is PNG in London already. Whilst I do not wish to trash the planet I think we have far too many rules relating to pollution that we slavishly follow but many (most?) other countries do not. I think we have made a rod for our backs that allows other nations to be more competitive industrially. That is madness,

Edited by Dipster, 14 March 2014 - 07:53.

#6 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 622 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:40

Signed ! What would happen to the central London classic car dealers ? 

Only a few left compared to former times in the various mews, but still producing a nice income in taxes, I would guess.

#7 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:07

Signed. Gotta keep my Mustang on the road in London!

#8 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,394 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:32

We have this pollution nonsens (called Umweltzone) here in a lot of bigger cities in Germany already. It was made because of the fine-dust emisions. But they were smart enough to exclude cars with a historic registration from that regulation. Now there are thoughts about droping the law again because most of the registered cars meet the criteria for the strongest restriction anyway.

#9 RobertE

RobertE

• 292 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:51

Signed. Vote early, vote often! Does this mean that the Royal Car frleet is to be consigned to history?

Edited by RobertE, 15 March 2014 - 08:52.

#10 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:55

RobertE, on 15 Mar 2014 - 08:51, said:

Signed. Vote early, vote often! Does this mean that the Royal Car frleet is to be consigned to history?

Nah. They will move them to Windsor, or Sandringham, or Balmoral..............

#11 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:18

Good grief is all this signing of petitions to keep our pastime and sport on the road turning me into a political activist ?

Never mind job done, thanks for the heads up on this important issue :smoking: