Photo

Damon Hill on Senna/Schumacher

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 0Fritz

0Fritz

• 352 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 14:54

I posted this in racing comments, where it was locked and advised to post it here. 

Damon Hill with some nice insights on Senna and Schumacher in The Guardian

http://www.theguardi...-formula-one-f1

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,590 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 15:29

Thank you - very interesting.

#3 opplock

opplock

• 944 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 17:42

""Michael came from a school of racing influenced by Ayrton's career when he managed to determine the outcome of a championship with a crash. In karting that was seen as a legitimate tactic."

Damon's comments are very interesting, especially the above. I have long thought that Senna's apparent immunity from sanction was responsible in large part for the deterioration in driving standards in the last 20 years. Even in club racing the "get out of my way or we'll crash" mentality has taken serious hold.

#4 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 18:05

Yes and no. I've always felt the stewards were just as much to blame. The racing in the sub-F1 categories is just atrocious. And it's the point in their careers where you need to train them, but it's a free for all.

#5 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,842 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 18:15

""Michael came from a school of racing influenced by Ayrton's career when he managed to determine the outcome of a championship with a crash. In karting that was seen as a legitimate tactic."

Damon's comments are very interesting, especially the above. I have long thought that Senna's apparent immunity from sanction was responsible in large part for the deterioration in driving standards in the last 20 years. Even in club racing the "get out of my way or we'll crash" mentality has taken serious hold.

I like the part in the interview where Hill was summoned by Senna, and Hill was giggling. 'Senna is going to tell ME about driving safely.'  There are a lot of peope complaining about how today's F1 drivers are too 'corporate' and are 'afraid' to say something controversial. Well, if I watch guys like Rosberg, Ricciardo, Button I just think they are just not the egoistical bastards as Senna and Schumacher were. Don't get me wrong, I think that Senna is right up there with Clark, Fangio, talent wise, fantastic, godlike driver. But I found him playing the mystic of F1 always very sanctimonious.

And there I get to your point. I think you are right, but that is because the F1 in large were buying this 'Senna is special therefore he can set his own standards', which reflected how the media treated Senna, which reflected on how motorsport-fans saw Senna, which resulted in... andsoforth.

You know, often people say: 'We should not be judgemental.' I disagree. That is where fruitfull discussion comes from. People judging other people, which angers them, you get discussion and soforth...'

#6 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 18:27

The wannabe gods of recent years have been team bosses, rather than drivers. I'm not saying that's a new thing, but it is very, very obvious these days who is pulling the strings.

#7 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 18:43

This aint nostalgic enough...should have stayed in RC......

#8 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 20:14

What's the line of demarcation for acceptable history among these esteemed parts?

#9 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,842 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 20:53

That line is very thin, Ross. But if anyone takes offence, we should live with it. And the 'historians' have to live with the insult that we discuss things they think we should not discuss...

Coming back to the Hill interview: do we think that if Hill would have been as candid back then, as he is now, the opinion about Senna and his racing tactics would have been different and that school of 'pushing someone into the wall is legit' would have had less followers?

Just imagine Hill coming to the journalists laughing back then: 'Hey guys? You want to hear something funny? Senna wanted to teach me some manners about safe driving! Hahaha!' (Sardonic laughter).

#10 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 21:10

I think the same views would be accepted in different ways due to the context. Mainly the context of Hill's position. He's the elder statesman now, back then the press would have called him soft.

#11 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,842 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 21:43

Really? As I remember the press though he was soft back then, because he reacted as he did (back then). 

Eh...

Do you get what I am saying?

#12 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 22:19

He would have been derided and called a whinger, probably, if he had spoken out too explicitly.

This is definitely history. It was twenty years ago. Typing that makes me feel really bloody old.

#13 JtP2

JtP2

• 452 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:36

Maybe Hill should have had a chat with Eddie Irvine for advice before going for his lecture.

#14 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,300 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:27

I think the same views would be accepted in different ways due to the context. Mainly the context of Hill's position. He's the elder statesman now, back then the press would have called him soft.

Plus, I don't think Hill was one for 'telling tales out of school', as it were, and he wasn't overly fond of journalists either, IIRC. When asked about some unfavourable rumour his reply was to the effect that "I think I saw something about that in last night's fish and chip wrapper - don't know about the article, but the fish and chips were good".

#15 john aston

john aston

• 2,682 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:38

I have long thought that Damon Hill was one of the most articulate and complex drivers I have encountered . Unlike the single  dimensional personality of a Mansell (say ) there is a nuanced individual who never did think he was the best - which ironically gives him a common trait with the loutish Mr Irvine(allegedly ). Damon was undoubtedly haunted in his latter years of F1 but his drive at the wet Suzuka in 94 was one of the finest I have ever seen   . Just wish Damon would write an autobiography - because it'd be a far better read than some of the dire stuff I've read ghost written for some .

#16 nordschleife

nordschleife

• 940 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 15:45

This is definitely history. It was twenty years ago. Typing that makes me feel really bloody old.

For Daniil Kvyat this isn't nostalgia, this is pre-history.

#17 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 00:27

Damon was undoubtedly haunted in his latter years 

I was going to inquire about this statement. But then I recalled how troubled Damon's personal life was.

I think this article written by Damon's wife is well worth a read - http://www.dailymail...Downs-baby.html

Just for the record, I am sure Damon had other problems. Eddie Jordan in his autobiography makes out that Damon was a shell of his former self during his twilight years in F1. I have never met Damon personally, but I will always admire him. Not just because he was my childhood hero, but due to the struggles he went through.

#18 Hank the Deuce

Hank the Deuce

• 286 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 00:33

Add me to the list of people who'd like to read a Damon Hill autobio.  That article was engaging and whilst it covered the topic at hand, it was waaay too short for mine!

He did well for himself, despite the spectre of a near-mythical and successful father at his back, and despite every man and his dog insisting it go on record that they felt he wasn't any good.  Humble and dignified, Damon's character is another of a type that - despite not being the beloved outspoken individual type that is more commonly revered - is all too rare, and therefore precious and endearing.

#19 TecnoRacing

TecnoRacing

• 1,796 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:08

Gee wiz...this topic again :p

I always find it amusing re: the moralism of 'our Damon' vs. the dastardly Michael (of course always with a splash of Senna invented/legitimized dirty tactics etc.)

Go back and actually watch the 94-96 seasons, and see who crashed into whom on a more regular basis. :stoned:

Advertisement

#20 0Fritz

0Fritz

• 352 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:24

Add me to the list of people who'd like to read a Damon Hill autobio.  That article was engaging and whilst it covered the topic at hand, it was waaay too short for mine!

He did well for himself, despite the spectre of a near-mythical and successful father at his back, and despite every man and his dog insisting it go on record that they felt he wasn't any good.  Humble and dignified, Damon's character is another of a type that - despite not being the beloved outspoken individual type that is more commonly revered - is all too rare, and therefore precious and endearing.

It was way too short, thats for sure.