Photo

Tuning for Speed a short film made in 1952

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 583 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:30

I pulled "Mike Hawthorn: Golden Boy" by Tony Bailey and Paul Skilleter off the shelf yesterday the 10th April which, by chance it was JMH's birthday. I'm having a day out with friends next week and we thought we'd visit some Mike Hawthorn related places so I thought I'd do some research. We won't visit all the pubs (we only have a day) but we will go to at least one for lunch.

As these things go I started reading and came across mention of a film "Tuning for Speed" shot at the TT Garage in 1952 for cinema release. The finished version is apparently only 90 seconds long, does anyone have a copy?

Advertisement

#2 Siddley

Siddley

• 174 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 22:23

Sounds fascinating. I could help you out with a link to the book " Tuning For Speed " by Phil Irving, which appears to be a free download though...

If there are copyright issues though I don't want to violate any forum rules on that.

#3 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 22:28

Try searching this site....I don't have the local knowledge to plug in keywords....

a terrific example....

http://www.britishpa...query/TT garage

#4 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 583 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:38

I do have Phil Irvings's Tuning for Speed, well I say I have it, my son has had it since I bought a copy at Beaulieu Autojumble. But thanks for the offer.

Sadly, the Pathe site offers hours of fascinating viewing on all kinds of topics, but doesn't have that particular film.

#5 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:01

90 seconds is a trifle short??

#6 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:11

90 seconds is a trifle short??

Presumably part of a longer film featuring other things,  probably not motoring related.

#7 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:30

Presumably part of a longer film featuring other things,  probably not motoring related.

I've tried every keyword I can think of on the BUFVC search: quite a few newsreels about Mike's racing and death, but no sign of 'Tuning for Speed' or anything that sounds vaguely similar. No sign of it on the BFI site either, but maybe one of the motoring museums might have one? Beaulieu? Coventry? Gaydon?