• Please log in to reply
743 replies to this topic

#551 Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

• 1,459 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 13:43

Grind dem bumps...

DaC-fDcUwAAvpMr.jpg

At least they aren't waiting until the last moment to get the track ready for MotoGP. 

Advertisement

#552 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,773 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 15:42

At least they aren't waiting until the last moment to get the track ready for MotoGP. 

Ha! Yep. They have a whole week!

I did find it interesting that this particular grinding is not in the F1 braking zone, despite claims that the bumps are just caused by F1 cars. Just like much of the grinding last year along the back straight was off-line and/or midway down that long straight, so it's hard to see how it would be caused by the F1 cars. 

Wonder how the MotoGP boys are going to react. 

#553 BRG

BRG

• 16,672 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 16:12

Wonder how the MotoGP boys are going to react.

Just now, they are more preoccupied with arguing about Marquez bumping into other riders than track bumps.

#554 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,773 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 16:31

Just now, they are more preoccupied with arguing about Marquez bumping into other riders than track bumps.

Yep, but it does look like Dovi's moved on to the Austin bumps.

“Austin is a completely different track and it’s very difficult. We’ll have to see the conditions because last year there were a lot of bumps compared to the previous year. And also the tyres, because they affect the weekend a lot.”

http://www.motogp.co...problems/255083

#555 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,773 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 19:26

MotoGP: Track drama ahead in Austin?

This weekend’s American Grand Prix could throw a spanner into the works for race organisers as they remain on knife edge to see what sort of situation greets them at the Circuit of the Americas in Texas.

It’s an issue that faces road construction in the area as well, with new routes often prepared and then left to stabilise for up to a year before being completed.

To remedy those bumps, circuit staff have attempted to utilise heavy road construction planning equipment in recent weeks to uniformly sand down the track and remove them. However, that’s believed to have exposed the ultra-abrasive under-surface of the asphalt in places, leaving the track potentially highly abrasive on tyres.

Still to be properly assessed by the riders, MotoGP’s safety representatives and sole tyre supplier Michelin, there’s a possibility of extreme solutions like mandatory pit stops being introduced to this weekend’s event if the track is found to be not up to scratch. Any action is unlikely to come until after the opening day of action and the subsequent Friday night safety commission meeting, however.

#556 king_crud

king_crud

• 4,118 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:44

with all the great circuits in the USA surely the bike people will bugger off to another one after this year?

#557 loki

loki

• 5,577 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:31

There are only about 11 FIA Grade 2 circuits in the US and two of those are street circuits.  That's plenty of choice if they were to ditch COTA but I don't know how many would bite at a sanction fee.

#558 RA2

RA2

• 1,132 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:06

MotoGP racers could avoid the bumpy braking area problem by running in the opposite direction of F1. 

Too bad the circuit was not designed to do this with the run off areas. Runoff would be in adequate at 5 corners; turn 9, 10, 12, 19 and 20.

#559 Peat

Peat

• 4,162 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:21

There are only about 11 FIA Grade 2 circuits in the US and two of those are street circuits. 

Out of interest, which ones? (street tracks)

Advertisement

#560 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,773 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 13:26

MotoGP racers could avoid the bumpy braking area problem by running in the opposite direction of F1. 

Too bad the circuit was not designed to do this with the run off areas. Runoff would be in adequate at 5 corners; turn 9, 10, 12, 19 and 20.

The problem is it's not just a braking area problem. It's all around the track ... in braking areas, all along the straights, in the esses, before T11, before T15, T16-20. The biggest problem according to the MotoGP riders is the rear wheel of the bike coming off the ground at 200+ mph along the straights. This causes the bikes to cut power, making it very unsafe and difficult to get the most from the bike.

Edited by AustinF1, 19 April 2018 - 13:54.

#561 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 27,093 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 13:30

There are only about 11 FIA Grade 2 circuits in the US and two of those are street circuits.  That's plenty of choice if they were to ditch COTA but I don't know how many would bite at a sanction fee.

I'd chuck ten quid Road America's way to get the MotoGP there. Apparently it nearly happened for 1995, they even printed the posters.

#562 loki

loki

• 5,577 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 17:33

Out of interest, which ones? (street tracks)

Long Beach and St Pete.  FIA has a list online of all circuits with homologations.  LIST OF FIA LICENSED CIRCUITS

I'd chuck ten quid Road America's way to get the MotoGP there. Apparently it nearly happened for 1995, they even printed the posters.

It would be a great track for bikes and it's a fantastic venue.  I don't see the Bruggenthies paying for it though.  If there were a promoter willing to foot the bill I'm sure they'd rent the track.   They run Moto America there which is a US version of Superbikes.

#563 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 18,186 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:38

Surely it's the FIM grade that you should be looking at?

#564 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,773 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 01:55

Huh. Who could possibly have seen this coming?

Dovi says Austin bumps remain very, very bad...

MotoGP riders say that the efforts to reduce the bumps at Austin’s Circuit of the Americas have failed to address the issue, while simultaneously creating a huge amount of dust on the track’s surface....

Speaking after FP1 at COTA, Ducati’s Andrea Dovizioso said: “For me it is the same and it is very, very, very bad because we are on a wonderful track and like this all the positive things of the track go away, it is very bumpy

The track was too dirty, I don't understand why we have to speak in the safety commission about that, because normally they are doing a great job about that, but the worst thing is the bumps – the bumps are very bad.”

Honda’s reigning champion Marc Marquez echoed his 2017 title rival’s thoughts.
“Of course we expected less bumps, but it's very similar like last year,” said Marquez, who topped the opening session of the weekend by four tenths from Valentino Rossi.

“More or less same bumps in the same places, in some places more, in some places less. But, anyway, the bumps are there for everybody.”

And Danilo Petrucci really dropped the hammer. Wow...

Austin MotoGP: Petrucci: COTA bumps a throwback to Hailwood, Agostini!   https://www.crash.ne...ilwood-agostini

Danilo Petrucci had some strong words for the condition of the Circuit of the Americas after day one of the Austin MotoGP.

Prior to the event, industrial grinding machines were used to try and reduce the notorious bumps - but Petrucci was one of several riders who said they are worse than ever.

"Here we struggle a lot on the bumps. They say they shave the bumps, but maybe they shave in another circuit because the bumps are much more than last year," he said.

"I think it's not safe to race on a track like this. I mean we are in a world championship and I never found a track like this even in the national championship.

"For sure the world championship is the hardest one of the world - and we have to race in every condition and every track.

"But crashing because of bumps I think is a thing that maybe Hailwood and Agostini had in their careers! And today, a lot of crashes for the bumps."

Edited by AustinF1, 21 April 2018 - 01:59.

#565 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,773 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:28

Epstein's response: The bumps are better. The riders should 'check the tires for lumps'

https://www.mystates...oC3fPe7qojBSfP/

COTA Chairman Bobby Epstein tweaked the critics.

“We’re calling Hoover and Dyson to see if we can get a vacuum sponsor to help with our dust problem,” he said. “As for the bumps, they are actually much better than last year, but we will continue to work on them. I’d check the tires for lumps.”

#566 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,773 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 04:22

Oof...

More re: the track from other riders...

Crutchlow: "I think they’ve made a terrible job," he said. "They tried to make it better but they made it worse. I know last year was bad, and now it’s even worse.
"I don’t understand how we can come to a GP and it’s worse than last year," he fumed. "I love this circuit, but it’s bad. It’s honestly bad that we now come to GPs and the circuit be in this shape."

"They haven’t really done anything.
"It’s so dirty, and so bumpy you can’t imagine. I love this circuit, but it’s bad. It’s honestly bad that we now come to GPs and the circuit be in this shape.
"And it’s so dirty you can’t imagine. You can’t see down the back straight if you’re behind someone."

Rossi: "It’s a disaster," said Valentino Rossi. "For me it’s the worst situation during all the season. You have three or four bumps that are very big."
“With our bike it’s difficult, because you have a lot of bumps on the straight, so the bike moves very much at more than 300km/h and it’s a critical situation.” 
"Back straight, after the hole, you go up, you go over the crest, [in] fifth and sixth [gears] the bike moves a lot because of big bumps. There are a lot of bumps in the braking [zone] also," Rossi added. "Maybe the biggest one is Turn 18, before the last two lefts, the bodywork touches the ground, so it’s like motocross. Personally, I like very much this track, but the bumps start to be a problem."
"Last year we asked to do some improvements. They did something, but unfortunately it didn’t work."
"It was like being at the ranch!" Rossi complained. "You don't see anything in front, and it's very strange ... Maybe coming from the asphalt, but I don't know."

Miller: “We’ve broken a windscreen already with the rocks and the dust," he said. "It’s so bad down that back straight, it’s ridiculous. "It was like big old rocks hitting me at 300km/h," he added. "They felt like bullets. I wasn’t too keen on that." “From my past experience, and my theory, dirt and water on top of a normal track normally don’t combine too well"

Espargaro: 'described the situation as "unacceptable", urging organisers to resurface the track'

#567 loki

loki

• 5,577 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 05:55

Surely it's the FIM grade that you should be looking at?

My understanding is the FIM requirements are largely the same with the non track specs nearly identical as FIA meaning they'll need at least a 1 or 2 for MotoGP.   That is a Grade 2 could be rated FIM A as is the case at Laguna Seca or Barber.  To my knowledge there are no FIM compatible road bike tracks in the US that aren't at least FIA 2 rated.  Motocross and Supercross are different.

Another good one would be Utah Motorsports Park (was Miller) but it looks like the new owners haven't had the track homologated.  Chinese Geely bought it after the family closed it.  Like Barber it's an Allan Wilson designed circuit and has run both AMA Superbike and World Superbike.  They love the bikes in Salt Lake.  Don't know if the current owners want to promote the a race though.

#568 loki

loki

• 5,577 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 06:07

Epstein's response: The bumps are better. The riders should 'check the tires for lumps'

https://www.mystates...oC3fPe7qojBSfP/

That's classic Epstein right there.  If it's that bad FIM and Dorna can call force majeure due to safety.  Otherwise STFU and race.

#569 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 27,370 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:50

I hear it's gonna be rather warm today.

#570 paulb

paulb

• 6,325 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 17:25

Do the MotoAmerica, Moto2, and Moto3 riders have the same complaints?

#571 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,773 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 21:41

I hear it's gonna be rather warm today.

Nice day.  Mid 60s when we got there. Mid 70s by the end of the race...

#572 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,773 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 21:42

Do the MotoAmerica, Moto2, and Moto3 riders have the same complaints?

No idea. I doubt they'd get much attention if they said anything either way.

#573 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,773 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:39

Dunno if this article is right, and I hadn't heard this until now, but it seems COTA has no MotoGP contract as of yet for 2019 and beyond. 

MotoGP arrives at COTA with its future in Austin yet to be settled https://www.mystates...X9nobLkxd8IZkO/

MotoGP’s contract with COTA also is up after this year, the sixth time Austin has been host to the series.

Edited by AustinF1, 23 April 2018 - 03:40.

#574 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,773 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 16:28

CONFIRMED: Britney Spears, Bruno Mars to bring pop and funk to F1 at COTA this fall

http://www.kvue.com/...l/269-545611350

#575 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,773 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 16:28

Wow. Just saw this on another board, re: the MotoGP Weekend...

PDX_214 said: ↑I was working one of the corners during the motogp race and was doing track walks between sessions. There was a 3x5" hole coming on to the main straight that kept opening up throughout the weekend. It was getting chipped away at, and I'm sure there were other parts of the track doing the same. So those "rocks and pebbles" they kept getting hit with, could have been parts of the track getting ripped up and thrown around. Not only that, cracks were developing on the racing line. Its bad.

Edited by AustinF1, 25 April 2018 - 16:29.

#576 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,190 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 17:22

Wow. Just saw this on another board, re: the MotoGP Weekend...

Is that just down to the ground movement, or because they have ground off the surface layers?

#577 boomn

boomn

• 292 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 17:38

Yikes, this is crazy!  I feel like I'm watching the Titanic slowly steer straight towards an iceberg while the captain seems to deny any real problems, even though it looks like this will end in catastrophe.  With their money problems I'm not sure they can afford to tear down and rebuild the circuit in a way that would last, but without a lasting fix it's hard to imagine them staying open for racing for more than a couple years.  I hope that behind the scenes they have a long-term plan

#578 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,773 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 18:17

Is that just down to the ground movement, or because they have ground off the surface layers?

Not sure. The guy said it looked like a place where there had been some grinding done, but he was basing that from memory and wasn't 100% sure. It does look to me like an area that was probably ground down, but like him, I'm not certain. Could be due to either or both though, I guess.

#579 BRG

BRG

• 16,672 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 18:33

Yikes, this is crazy!  I feel like I'm watching the Titanic slowly steer straight towards an iceberg while the captain seems to deny any real problems, even though it looks like this will end in catastrophe.  With their money problems I'm not sure they can afford to tear down and rebuild the circuit in a way that would last, but without a lasting fix it's hard to imagine them staying open for racing for more than a couple years.  I hope that behind the scenes they have a long-term plan

Agreed.  They will surely lose MotoGP now and will F1 want to go on much longer if the track continues to deteriorate?  No other major series wants to race there.  Without a massive rebuilding programme, the place seems likely to gradually become a backwater.  WIll we be talking about that former race track COTA in ten years time as the houses and shopping malls cover it up?

Advertisement

#580 loki

loki

• 5,577 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:13

WIll we be talking about that former race track COTA in ten years time as the houses and shopping malls cover it up?

If top level series stop racing there it will still be a profitable concert venue.  They make more money from concerts than F1.  There are tracks all over the US that are in far worse shape than COTA in terms of the surface.

#581 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,773 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:40

lol...

So, We’re Just Building Condo Towers at Circuit of the Americas Now, Huh? Weird!  https://austin.tower...ericas-now-huh/

The article, though not super long, gets increasingly bizarre as it goes — let’s just dig into a few sequential paragraphs, where there is so much going on that I’m not sure where to begin:

“The four-tower development will house around 150 units (including 10 penthouses). Some residences offer views of up to 18 of the 20 track turns for an unforgettable viewing experience, and the penthouses come with private infinity pools and balconies. Ranging from 2,000 square feet to 6,500 square feet, the townhomes and penthouses showcase two- to four-car glass garages that allow residents to proudly display their supercars.”

Okay. 

“Residents can access their homes through elevators located in the drive-in lobby and parking structure (which was inspired by the Porsche Museum). Onsite amenities include a fitness center, a full-service spa, cigar lounges, restaurants, an observatory, three helipads, rooftop bars, and, fittingly, a car-themed arcade. The infinity pool deck offers panoramic views of 12 of the track’s turns, allowing residents to cheer on their favorite drivers in utmost comfort.”

Ah, yes. An observatory and three helipads. Wouldn’t want to be caught with only two!

“Perhaps best of all, residents and Forza Elite Car Club members will have access to the development’s fleet of more than 40 supercars (including Lamborghini Huracan Performantes and Ferrari 488s). After having their driving abilities assessed by onsite experts, members will be given free reign to drive themselves and passengers on the track. Sixty track days have been reserved for members, and trackside maintenance and servicing will be available.”

Hmmmmmm. I’ve decided I have questions. For one thing, is this real? While trying to figure that out, I actually managed to dig up a development assessment application with the city from a few months ago discussing a Circuit of the Americas PUD, which would bring a huge push of mixed-use development to the land around the Formula One track. Here’s a selection from part of the application, describing size and usage — and yes, that number is 1,037 acres or 45 million square feet of potential development area:

Haha, they spelled it “wharehouse.” Image: City of Austin

But there are, as you might imagine, more mysteries. For example, what’s the story with Forza-COTA Ventures LLC? This entity, partnered with COTA for the Forza development, is associated with Kamran Nezami — a former stockbroker, pharmaceutical investor, and “healthcare trailblazer,” complete with an inexplicable, seemingly self-published “unauthorized” biography and swiftly-deleted Wikipedia bio that he may or may not have written himself. Weird!

Still, there’s an awful lot of money behind the scenes at COTA, so it’s not entirely ridiculous to think something like this might get built — it’s just really, really hard to see these renderings and read the words “waterpark,” “helipads,” and “observatory” without immediately thinking “vaporware.”  

Edited by AustinF1, 17 August 2018 - 12:45.

#582 BRG

BRG

• 16,672 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 18:27

If the existing observation tower at COTA is already going all Leaning Tower of Pisa, would you buy into a new tower(s)?  Still my #579 of April was prescient...

#583 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,773 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 19:37

If the existing observation tower at COTA is already going all Leaning Tower of Pisa, would you buy into a new tower(s)?  Still my #579 of April was prescient...

Heh. You never know.

I was just looking back in the thread and I noticed I never posted pics of the T20 holes in the track that the MotoGP marshal posted about.

He said that later on a stunt demo bike made the holes even worse. Here they are. Not good ... 

https://www.ferraric...osts/145946984/

feTcVqT.jpg

AoGzTTI.jpg

#584 loki

loki

• 5,577 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 01:15

lol...

So, We’re Just Building Condo Towers at Circuit of the Americas Now, Huh? Weird!  https://austin.tower...ericas-now-huh/

We'll see if it breaks ground.  That said high end motorsports country clubs have been all the rage over the last several years.  That's where all the new tracks in the US are being built.   While they are high end they usually aren't this big and opulent.  I particularly got a chuckle from the glass garages.  There is a nice one in Thermal, CA outside Palm Springs.  There is one just over in Nye county called Spring Mountain that's awesome though no on site living.  They do have a landing strip though as part of the back straights.  And a helipad.  

EDIT... Looks like they do have condos out at Spring Mountain (haven't been out there in a few years).  And I forgot about the gun range...

Edited by loki, 18 August 2018 - 01:19.

#585 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,773 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 01:27

Yeah, maybe Bobby's prepping the place for a transition into being a motorsport country club in the traditional sense.

Re: the 'hotel', I can remember Epstein talking on and off basically since the beginning about a hotel. But even if lots of people stayed there during race weekends and concert nights, I think there are still way too many 'dead' days left in the year. I just really can't see any way it'll be profitable. But hey, best of luck to 'em!

I too am skeptical that it ever breaks ground though.

Edited by AustinF1, 18 August 2018 - 01:27.

#586 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,773 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 15:52

I had heard a few months ago that there might be attempts to soften Gossage's stance on a COTA IndyCar race...

Texas Motor Speedway confirms new four-year IndyCar deal https://www.motorspo...-deal/3162572/'> https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/texas-motor-speedway-confirms-new-four-year-indycar-deal/3162572/

As Motorsport.com revealed last weekend, track president Eddie Gossage has softened his stance on IndyCar’s ongoing negotiations with Circuit of The Americas in Austin, TX, and his wish for the immediate post-Indy 500 date, allowing common ground to be found between himself and the series.

For IndyCar, too, it was particularly important to make a deal with TMS in 2019 in order to retain its reputation for track diversity in a year when Phoenix’s ISM Raceway oval will disappear from the schedule, likely to be replaced by a road course – COTA – next April.

#587 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,773 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 18:02

Gossage: TMS concedes regional rights in new IndyCar deal. San Antonio street race on IndyCar's radar. https://www.star-tel...e217012870.html

Interesting that he specifically mentions IndyCar looking at San Antonio and says nothing about COTA.

#588 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,773 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 18:33

Also, Toyota recently pulled its sponsorship for the LBGP.  Toyota has a huge Tundra factory in San Antonio, so that could have some bearing on this thing. Who knows ...

#589 loki

loki

• 5,577 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 18:51

Also, Toyota recently pulled its sponsorship for the LBGP.  Toyota has a huge Tundra factory in San Antonio, so that could have some bearing on this thing. Who knows ...

They've been talking about a San Antonio street race off and on from years back.  Can't recall if it was IRL or Champ Car during the split.

#590 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,773 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 19:06

They had an IMSA race on the streets there in the 80s. Around Hemisfair Park. So it can be done. Could be very cool if they run it by the Alamo, too. I kinda played with some layouts when I heard this rumor the other day, but before I knew about the old IMSA race. It's funny, I had the layout going around the park with one little detour up to the Alamo. Comes out at exactly 3 miles.

Edited by AustinF1, 23 August 2018 - 19:06.

#591 loki

loki

• 5,577 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 19:10

It was the IRL for 2007.  Couldn't find much on it.  https://www.autospor...nio-street-race

If you Google "San Antonio street race" it reads more like some kids getting busted during a low budget Street Outlaw wannabe.

I think it would be a good city for it.  I'd consider going.

#592 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,773 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 19:16

Google "San Antonio street circuit". You can see the old 80s IMSA layout and some program covers, etc. Kinda cool.

#593 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,773 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 21:02

Looks like COTA's trying to get Texas taxpayers to pay for IndyCar from 2019-23 via the ETF subsidy.

http://www.austintex...t.cfm?id=304203

40444248_2199095923438274_28327522513767

Edited by AustinF1, 30 August 2018 - 21:04.

#594 August

August

• 3,232 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 23:09

Looks like COTA's trying to get Texas taxpayers to pay for IndyCar from 2019-23 via the ETF subsidy.

As an IndyCar fan I'd take a race at COTA over no race at all. But I'm not sure that's taxpayer money well spent. Apart from F1 and MotoGP, every major racing event at COTA has failed. WEC and IMSA left the venue after last year. PWC is still going there, probably because their business model isn't relying so much on attendance.

I'm a bit skeptical about IndyCar drawing a big crowd at COTA. It's not like Road America or Mid-Ohio where IndyCar has long traditions. And while the USGP has a big crowd, it's the only F1 race in the U.S. On the other hand, 16 of the 17 IndyCar races are in the USA.

It was the Toyota dealers sponsoring the LBGP, which explains the sponsorship even in the absence of Toyota in IndyCar. So if there was going to be a Toyota-sponsored IndyCar event anywhere, I think it would be sponsored by the local dealers unless Toyota entered the series.

#595 loki

loki

• 5,577 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 02:22

http://www.austintex...t.cfm?id=304203

IIRC it's based on sales tax revenue from that specific area during the time frame of the event.  So perhaps some TX taxpayers.  

Why shouldn't they apply for a legal subsidy to promote events in TX?  That's the whole point of the law.

#596 king_crud

king_crud

• 4,118 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:39

I don't want indycar racing at F1 circuits

#597 RA2

RA2

• 1,132 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:41

I don't want indycar racing at F1 circuits

I guess it will be on the shorter circuit

#598 king_crud

king_crud

• 4,118 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:42

either way, it will be in a boring carpark

#599 August

August

• 3,232 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 10:39

There's would be a layout turning from the T6 and joining close to the end of the backstretch. 2.3 miles so not far from a typical IndyCar track. I think V8 Supercars used it.

Might make sense, might not. Probably there would still be enough grandstands for an IndyCar event and a shorter layout would mean more laps. That would also eliminate the lap time comparisons with F1. (Though CART ran the same layout as F1 at Montreal.)

Then again, the T1 braking zone would probably be the only passing spot in that layout. And the average speed comparisons would be even less favorable for IndyCar. I'd prefer them running the full course.

Advertisement

#600 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 18,186 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 11:02

I'd hope they use the full layout if they did run a race at COTA.