* * * * * 1 votes

COTA [merged]

• Please log in to reply
743 replies to this topic

#601 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,772 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 14:44

IIRC it's based on sales tax revenue from that specific area during the time frame of the event.  So perhaps some TX taxpayers.  

Why shouldn't they apply for a legal subsidy to promote events in TX?  That's the whole point of the law.

I don't disagree with them applying for it. I disagree with the way the law is structured, inviting abuse. In theory it's supposed to be based on money that's brought into the state from outside the state, using sales taxes as a measure of that, but what they're actually doing is taking COTA's word as verification in the documentation. In on other words, if COTA says 260,000 people came to the circuit over the weekend, 70% of them were from out of state, and they produced an economic impact of $700,000,000 just for one GP ... the state takes COTA's word for it and calls that 'verification'. There is no independent review of the numbers, or even serious review by a government agency. 

Edited by AustinF1, 31 August 2018 - 15:10.

Advertisement

#602 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,772 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 14:51

As an IndyCar fan I'd take a race at COTA over no race at all. But I'm not sure that's taxpayer money well spent. Apart from F1 and MotoGP, every major racing event at COTA has failed. WEC and IMSA left the venue after last year. PWC is still going there, probably because their business model isn't relying so much on attendance.

I'm a bit skeptical about IndyCar drawing a big crowd at COTA. It's not like Road America or Mid-Ohio where IndyCar has long traditions. And while the USGP has a big crowd, it's the only F1 race in the U.S. On the other hand, 16 of the 17 IndyCar races are in the USA.

It was the Toyota dealers sponsoring the LBGP, which explains the sponsorship even in the absence of Toyota in IndyCar. So if there was going to be a Toyota-sponsored IndyCar event anywhere, I think it would be sponsored by the local dealers unless Toyota entered the series.

Good to know about the Toyota dealers. I'm not sure it's money well spent either, not any longer, anyway. I was in favor back when they first applied for it, but the law has changed repeatedly since then. It's not administered the way it was sold to us then. And yeah, COTA has struggled with attendance out there, even for Moto GP and F1. Even those crowds aren't that big. And as you say, everything else out there minus those two has failed. PWC is basically a TV show. The crowd out there for PWC the last two years was like a glorified track day crowd. I think IndyCar will do OK, at least in the first year when it's a novelty, but the new has definitely worn off of COTA. I picture a first year IndyCar race at COTA looking something like a COTA MotoGP crowd ... maybe a bit less than that.

Edited by AustinF1, 31 August 2018 - 15:08.

#603 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,772 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 15:06

I don't want indycar racing at F1 circuits

I guess it will be on the shorter circuit

I've been wondering about this, too ... whether or not they'd run the short course. 

either way, it will be in a boring carpark

Yeah the short course sucks imho, and leaves out some of the best bits of the track. It'll make for a better looking crowd on TV though.

There's would be a layout turning from the T6 and joining close to the end of the backstretch. 2.3 miles so not far from a typical IndyCar track. I think V8 Supercars used it.

Might make sense, might not. Probably there would still be enough grandstands for an IndyCar event and a shorter layout would mean more laps. That would also eliminate the lap time comparisons with F1. (Though CART ran the same layout as F1 at Montreal.)

Then again, the T1 braking zone would probably be the only passing spot in that layout. And the average speed comparisons would be even less favorable for IndyCar. I'd prefer them running the full course.

Yep, V8SC was the only series to race on it, and most people came away saying they wished they'd have used the long course. There is also a huge bump on the dogleg after the left turn at 6, where the cars were getting airborne. Looked spectacular, but it would need to be fixed for IndyCar. The V8s can handle that kind of thing pretty well, but it was causing a lot of problems even for them.

There's been a massive reduction of grandstand seating at COTA over the last few years, with several F1 grandstands being removed and some remaining ones having been significantly downsized. They've eliminated grandstands at T2, 3, 5, 6, and three big stands at 11, while cutting T1 almost in half, downsizing 4 and 9, and cutting 12 by more than half. Basically, they have cut reserved seating by about half, I guess to about 40k.

Still, imho there would be plenty of grandstands for IndyCar on that course. That's where all the permanent grandstands are anyway (Main straight, T1, T4, T12, and T15). Let's put it this way, for MotoGP, they only use Main, 1, 12, and 15. They don't bother to set up T4 & 9. I'm guessing that leaves about 35k seats. I'm guessing the same setup would be fine for IndyCar.

I'd hope they use the full layout if they did run a race at COTA.

Yep.

Edited by AustinF1, 31 August 2018 - 15:49.

#604 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,772 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 17:37

Wow ... 

Parking attendant allegedly sexually assaulted teen in COTA lot https://www.kxan.com...teen/1409481004 

Affidavit: Teenage girl raped by parking attendant after leaving concert at COTA https://news4sananto...concert-at-cota

Edited by AustinF1, 31 August 2018 - 17:38.

#605 RA2

RA2

• 1,132 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 18:01

https://racer.com/20...ns-for-indycar/

Looks like Bobby is looking at some modifications

Hope they connect 12 to 15 after taking the shortcut at 6

#606 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,772 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 18:12

https://racer.com/20...ns-for-indycar/

Looks like Bobby is looking at some modifications

Hope they connect 12 to 15 after taking the shortcut at 6

That's funny, as you posted this I was just responding to the track mod thing over in the IndyCar thread...

The short circuit sucks imho, as mentioned above.

I also wonder how the IndyCars will react to the big bumps on the straights given their higher tops speeds. But then there are rumors that COTA is finally gonna try to do something about those - at a cost of something like $8-12M. That pricetag & the short timeline make me skeptical it'll happen, though. They'd have less than 3.5 months over the winter to make it happen, and I'll have to actually SEE Epstein spending that kind of money on racing before I'll believe it.

And ... Track modifications? Really, they should concentrate on fixing the track they have before making any new additions to it, imho. And as I said above, if it involves Epstein spending money on actual racing, I'll believe it when I see it.

Edited by AustinF1, 04 September 2018 - 18:25.

#607 f1paul

f1paul

• 6,835 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 19:59

That's funny, as you posted this I was just responding to the track mod thing over in the IndyCar thread...

I also wonder how the IndyCars will react to the big bumps on the straights given their higher tops speeds. But then there are rumors that COTA is finally gonna try to do something about those - at a cost of something like $8-12M. That pricetag & the short timeline make me skeptical it'll happen, though. They'd have less than 3.5 months over the winter to make it happen, and I'll have to actually SEE Epstein spending that kind of money on racing before I'll believe it.

And ... Track modifications? Really, they should concentrate on fixing the track they have before making any new additions to it, imho. And as I said above, if it involves Epstein spending money on actual racing, I'll believe it when I see it.

It does suck. The shortcut is awful. 

When V8s went there back in 2013 it wasn't exactly great. 

But yeah, the shortcut, it's so tight with a tiny kink and just feels like it was bolted on to make two sides of the track connect. No flow at all.

You're right though that the track needs to be fixed, especially the back straight.

Some of it is okay though. Perhaps just resurface the main straight and the back straight? 

#608 red stick

red stick

• 3,348 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:28

Marshall Pruett is concerned . . .

https://racer.com/20...wesome-at-cota/

#609 Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

• 1,459 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:51

They could make T7 a left that connects to halfway down the back straight. Maybe shorten the T12-15 section. Make T12 a chicane that connects to T15 mid-turn. Watching cars and bikes through that section is boring anyway, so it wouldn't be any great loss.

#610 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 27,333 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:59

Bobby talks Indycar

https://omny.fm/show...preview-the-bc3

Jp

#611 PeterScandlyn

PeterScandlyn

• 347 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:16

@AustinF1, your championed circuit. Certainly hope this works well for all parties  :up:  :up:

#612 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,772 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:23

@AustinF1, your championed circuit. Certainly hope this works well for all parties  :up:  :up:

Hope so. Wewillsee...

#613 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,772 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:50

Marshall Pruett is concerned . . .

https://racer.com/20...wesome-at-cota/

He makes some good points.

In adding Circuit of The Americas to its calendar, IndyCar will need to succeed where other domestic series have failed. Outside of the big traveling crowds that flood the Austin, Texas-based road course for Formula 1 and MotoGP, the sprawling countryside property has struggled to draw the tiniest of crowds for other series.

The Pirelli World Challenge series puts on incredible races, but has resigned itself to performing in front of family and friends during its visits to COTA. Monsoon rains have blighted things on more than one occasion in March for PWC at COTA, and with the series returning next year on the first weekend of March, we know there’s no chance of an IndyCar/PWC doubleheader to try and draw more fans.

Even the world’s biggest sports car series have tried and failed to build a following at COTA. With the awesome “Lone Star Le Mans” endurance combo event of IMSA’s WeatherTech SportsCar Championship and the FIA World Endurance Championship, which included free music and entertainment between the main features in its final iteration, it was a hot, steamy ghost town. Australia’s V8 Supercars also made the trip from Down Under in search of an international home at COTA. Despite having multi-year plans for Texas, the V8s made one appearance and were one-and-done.

The 'crowd optics' aspect of the article was a bit overstated imho. COTA's seating isn't anything remotely like that of a superspeedway. COTA seats something like 1/4 of the number of fans that TMS seats, for example (less than 1/3 even if TMS closes their back stretch).

COTA has cut F1 seating there by about half over the years since opening, from around 80k to around 40k. They've only ever had about 35-40k seats for other race series, since they don;t erect temporary grandstands for those races.

For IndyCar, I'm guessing they'll use the same setup they typically use when F1 isn't in town. That is, they'll probably only use the permanent grandstands -- the Main Grandstand, Turn 1, 12, and 15. They don't bother to set up T4 & 9 for MotoGP, & they probably won't for IndyCar either, exactly for reasons like 'optics'. Pretty sure that leaves about 35k seats.

Drop 75,000 fans into TMS? You have 40k+ empty seats and it looks like a disaster.

Put 75,000 fans at COTA, and your 35,000 ish grandstand seats will be pretty much full, with a nice general admission crowd on the ground. It would be hailed as a massive success.

If there's actually a good crowd, it's going to look good on TV in multiple grandstands. If it doesn't look good, it'll be because it isn't good.

Edited by AustinF1, 05 September 2018 - 07:09.

#614 RA2

RA2

• 1,132 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:46

Why should the short track suck

It has all the regular corners + 3

Indycar has tight circuits which in F1 would be considered micky mouse tracks which works fine for Indycar

#615 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,772 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:54

Why should the short track suck

It has all the regular corners + 3

Indycar has tight circuits which in F1 would be considered micky mouse tracks which works fine for Indycar

Not sure what you mean. It doesn't have 6-11 or most of the back straight. Those are some great corners and I for one would like to see how fast those cars can go down that back straight. 

Edited by AustinF1, 05 September 2018 - 06:55.

#616 RA2

RA2

• 1,132 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:00

A side by side comparison would be nice but.............

" I don’t think the side-by-side comparisons are good for anybody, it’s really about the excitement of the race" Bobby Epstein 

The section between 6 and back straight can be made into a nice loop without the chicane in the middle (which is provided as there is no run off on the other side of the back straight). This was not built with Indycar caliber in mind, so a modification in that area could be planned 

qzjTglo.jpg

Edited by RA2, 05 September 2018 - 07:08.

#617 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,772 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:14

I guess something like that could be done, but they'd also have to take into consideration things like runoffs and how they'd affect the existing sections of track not in use, etc. I'm also glad you posted that pic because it illustrates very well one example of what I mean when I talk about the grandstand reductions. Look at the T12 grandstand in the picture. That's how it looks currently, but you can see that the footprint of the original one is still there, running all the way to the left edge of the photo. That was a huge grandstand before it got downsized.

qzjTglo.jpg

Edited by AustinF1, 06 September 2018 - 00:24.

#618 RA2

RA2

• 1,132 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:23

Look at the T12 grandstand in the picture. That's how it looks currently, but you can see that the foot-print of the original one is still there, running all the way to the left edge of the photo. That was a huge grandstand before it got downsized.

Getting the major events fund for the track for the years to come is BE's priority

Does not matter how many grandstands disappear or if people come watch SV LH or BM BS 

#619 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,772 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:25

Getting the major events fund for the track for the years to come is BE's priority

Does not matter how many grandstands disappear or if people come watch SV LH or BM BS 

Yep.

Advertisement

#620 RA2

RA2

• 1,132 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:43

Yep.

If you ask me BE and company cashed out when they took funding of $ 400 million; If there is a default quiet sure it is the lender who will be sitting with the asset  :lol: (with no guarantee from any of the other BE assets)

#621 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,772 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 15:53

Bobby talks Indycar

https://omny.fm/show...preview-the-bc3

Jp

Thanks Jp. Finally got a chance to listen. Epstein says in there that IndyCar will run the full circuit at COTA, but with one small, undisclosed modification under consideration. He also said the search for a 'headline' music act also underway.

#622 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 1,319 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 17:37

It would provide a good comparison in terms of the racing between the series

#623 August

August

• 3,231 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 18:09

I don't really see the point in changing the layout for IndyCar, especially if you aren't significantly shortening the lap to get more laps in the race.

I mean, a slower lap than in F1 shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. You should have some major shortcuts to get the average speed above F1's. And anyway, side-by-side videos would expose the performance of IndyCar vs. F1 in the common parts of the track. Trying to manipulate the perception of Indy cars' performance by running a different layout would look only worse.

#624 coppilcus

coppilcus

• 1,471 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 22:39

We should thank that Eccleston is no longer in command...

Hopefully the race ends being a success!

#625 Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

• 1,459 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 00:00

2L16v.jpg

#626 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,462 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 00:13

I guess something like that could be done, but they'd also have to take into consideration things like runoffs and how they'd affect the existing sections of track not in use, etc. I'm also glad you posted that pic because it illustrates very well one example of what I mean when I talk about the grandstand reductions. Look at the T12 grandstand in the picture. That's how it looks currently, but you can see that the foot-print of the original one is still there, running all the way to the left edge of the photo. That was a huge grandstand before it got downsized.

qzjTglo.jpg

They could do that where turn 10 is now.

And connect T7 to T9. The 7-8 chincane is useless.

#627 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,772 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 00:23

They could do that where turn 10 is now.

And connect T7 to T9. The 7-8 chincane is useless.

They could, and I guess the FIA couldn't stop them changing 7-9 for IndyCar-only. Hellmund originally wanted something like that, with 7-9 being much straighter and leading to a faster approach to T10. FIA wouldn't have it. You might see some IndyCars get launched over the top of that hill though if that were the case! It would also be quite a project. That land outside of 7-9 is very unstable, hard to even walk through because of all the pitching, heaving, and cracking. I'm wondering where all the money for these changes will come from.

Edited by AustinF1, 06 September 2018 - 01:23.

#628 loki

loki

• 5,577 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 02:47

The FIA won't have any impact on what happens with the circuit during an Indycar race.  Those regs are specific to F1 and FIA circuit homologation.  While Indycar liaisons with the FIA through ACCUS (and perhaps directly) the FIA has no binding authority over Indycar races.  If the changes made were permanent and the old config couldn't be reclaimed then they'd have to homologate the circuit again so F1 could run there.

As for getting the money, they've got money.  They just don't like spending it...

#629 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,772 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 03:09

The FIA won't have any impact on what happens with the circuit during an Indycar race.  Those regs are specific to F1 and FIA circuit homologation.  While Indycar liaisons with the FIA through ACCUS (and perhaps directly) the FIA has no binding authority over Indycar races.  If the changes made were permanent and the old config couldn't be reclaimed then they'd have to homologate the circuit again so F1 could run there.

As for getting the money, they've got money.  They just don't like spending it...

Yeah I know re: the FIA. As for the money, I'm not convinced the track has much lying around to spend, esp with the (potential ... believe it when I see it) looming prospect of track repairs, the supposed 'construction' of his soccer 'stadium', and hiring players & staff, etc. Epstein sure isn't gonna spend any of his own money on the track imho. He'll try to get someone else to do it, but I'd think the line of people waiting to invest in or lend money to COTA is short and getting shorter. His prior/existing investors are probably unlikely to go deeper in imho. 

Edited by AustinF1, 06 September 2018 - 03:21.

#630 loki

loki

• 5,577 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 03:38

But it's never been Uncle Bobby's money to a large degree.  It's Uncle Red that has and is able to get the funds.  Compared to what Indycars run on in Long Beach or even back before they repaved Portland CoTA is billiard table flat.

#631 RA2

RA2

• 1,132 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 06:07

I would suggest diamond polishing the track but then it could turn out like 2005

#632 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,772 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 12:22

But it's never been Uncle Bobby's money to a large degree.  It's Uncle Red that has and is able to get the funds.  Compared to what Indycars run on in Long Beach or even back before they repaved Portland CoTA is billiard table flat.

From everything I've heard, Bobby was in deeper than Red. The talk is that Red's out now, and Bobby has gotten his money back & is just working with everyone else's money.

Re: the bumps, I haven't driven those other tracks, but I've driven COTA several times, as recently as this spring. The bumps on several areas of the track are a wild ride even at speeds lower than racing speeds. If those tracks are that much worse than COTA, I'd hate to think what they're like & there probably shouldn't be any racing on them. I have my doubts they're that much worse. COTA is bad now imho. It used to actually be 'billiard table smooth'. It's a far cry from that these days.

Edited by AustinF1, 06 September 2018 - 18:40.

#633 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,772 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 12:24

I would suggest diamond polishing the track but then it could turn out like 2005

They've done some superficial bump grinding in several areas at least twice, but it didn't seem to do much good. F1 mostly complained about the big bump in the T11 braking zone, where iirc Williams & maybe someone else had some electrical and mechanical issues a couple years in a row. Some of the MotoGP guys said it was much worse this year than last year even after the most recent grinding. Some even said they think the grinding made it worse (which it probably will in the long run). Epstein says they need to check their tires.

#634 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,772 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 12:31

I was thinking about the 'small modification' Epstein's talking about. He says they're gonna run the whole circuit, too. That has me thinking he's talking about ... wait for it ... a chicane. Maybe along the back stretch. Hope I'm wrong. If I'm right, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

#635 red stick

red stick

• 3,348 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:55

I was thinking about the 'small modification' Epstein's talking about. He says they're gonna run the whole circuit, too. That has me thinking he's talking about ... wait for it ... a chicane. Maybe along the back stretch. Hope I'm wrong. If I'm right, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Mike Hull suggested the same thing on Marshall Pruett's 9/4 IndyCar podcast, saying that any changes will likely be to create a passing zone in the area coming from the back of the track to the front, which I took to be somewhere on the backstretch post-Turn 11.

#636 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,772 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:19

Mike Hull suggested the same thing on Marshall Pruett's 9/4 IndyCar podcast, saying that any changes will likely be to create a passing zone in the area coming from the back of the track to the front, which I took to be somewhere on the backstretch post-Turn 11.

Yeah. Figures. Like COTA needs more passing opportunities. They just don't wanna run the same layout & a chicane is probably the cheapest change they can make.

Edited by AustinF1, 07 September 2018 - 03:20.

#637 loki

loki

• 5,577 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 05:26

Why wouldn't they want to run the same circuit?   Hull stated specifically that it was being done to make for more passing opportunities.    There are a lot of wiggly technical bits but what they are looking for are more hard braking zones.  Right now there are three a chicane would make four.

#638 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,772 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 05:35

Why wouldn't they want to run the same circuit?   Hull stated specifically that it was being done to make for more passing opportunities.    There are a lot of wiggly technical bits but what they are looking for are more hard braking zones.  Right now there are three a chicane would make four.

I and a lot of other people think they should just run the same circuit. With the huge budget differences, no reasonable fan expects IndyCar to be as quick for a lap as F1, so what's the big deal running the same circuit? Some respected posters on another IndyCar forum say the IndyCar brass have their reasons though, so IDK.

I have nothing against more passing opportunities, but COTA's always been known for having lots of passing except for MotoGP, even outside of T1, 11, and 12. I'd just say if a lot of passing is what they want, then don't fix what isn't broken. There's no guarantee it'll work out the way they want, and it could easily turn out worse than the status quo.

Edited by AustinF1, 07 September 2018 - 05:38.

#639 RA2

RA2

• 1,132 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:37

Indy cars should be about 9% faster than LMP2 cars around COTA 

LMP2 time in qualifying was a 1:56 so Indy will be about 1:44

Maybe someone can find the times from the Chevrolet tests at COTA from 2014

Advertisement

#640 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,772 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:45

Indy cars should be about 9% faster than LMP2 cars around COTA 

LMP2 time in qualifying was a 1:56 so Indy will be about 1:44

Maybe someone can find the times from the Chevrolet tests at COTA from 2014

That's interesting because a poster I know on a local site basically pulled 1:45 right out of his arse the other day on this subject. 

Re: the Chevy test, lol, I had forgotten about that. I don't remember any times being published. Hell, it was supposed to be a secret. My co-admin Vance took the first spy shot of that car with the new aero kit and was the first to post it online. I was also out there shooting pics on private property and some team security guy tried to run me off from the other side of the fence. Good times...

bqqb0crjujcg5mry7rqr.jpg

Edited by AustinF1, 07 September 2018 - 06:58.

#641 Peat

Peat

• 4,153 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:45

With the huge budget differences, no reasonable fan expects IndyCar to be as quick for a lap as F1, 

You've read these fora before, right?

#642 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,772 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:49

You've read these fora before, right?

Heh ... oh yeah. I hear ya!

#643 loki

loki

• 5,577 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 17:25

I and a lot of other people think they should just run the same circuit. With the huge budget differences, no reasonable fan expects IndyCar to be as quick for a lap as F1, so what's the big deal running the same circuit? Some respected posters on another IndyCar forum say the IndyCar brass have their reasons though, so IDK.

I have nothing against more passing opportunities, but COTA's always been known for having lots of passing except for MotoGP, even outside of T1, 11, and 12. I'd just say if a lot of passing is what they want, then don't fix what isn't broken. There's no guarantee it'll work out the way they want, and it could easily turn out worse than the status quo.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.  The folks at 16th and Georgetown don't give a rat's ass about the speed comparison to F1.  Some of us that have been Indycar fans for 50 years or more and F1 fans for at least 30 don't really care about the comparisons.  The casual fans don't even know about the differences. The people clamoring for comparisons between the two are the outliers.  You're wasting a whole lot of brainpower for something as simple as a chicane.

If I wanted to play the Richard Cranium card I could just as easily say the F1 didn't want to run Road America, Mid Ohio, Laguna or Sonoma because they think the Indycars will compare favorably and embarrass them.  They're just using the circuit homologation thing as a ruse.  Hard to justify spending tens or hundreds of millions of dollars more for such a slim improvement in lap times.  As long as we're talking about speeds, at which tracks to the F1 cars run average lap times over 200 mph?   See how easy that was to make something out of nothing comparing items that could be similar but are distinctly different?    They are different things and many of us can appreciate and recognize those differences.

#644 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,772 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 17:42

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. The folks at 16th and Georgetown don't give a rat's ass about the speed comparison to F1. Some of us that have been Indycar fans for 50 years or more and F1 fans for at least 30 don't really care about the comparisons. The casual fans don't even know about the differences. The people clamoring for comparisons between the two are the outliers. You're wasting a whole lot of brainpower for something as simple as a chicane.

If I wanted to play the Richard Cranium card I could just as easily say the F1 didn't want to run Road America, Mid Ohio, Laguna or Sonoma because they think the Indycars will compare favorably and embarrass them. They're just using the circuit homologation thing as a ruse. Hard to justify spending tens or hundreds of millions of dollars more for such a slim improvement in lap times. As long as we're talking about speeds, at which tracks to the F1 cars run average lap times over 200 mph? See how easy that was to make something out of nothing comparing items that could be similar but are distinctly different? They are different things and many of us can appreciate and recognize those differences.

Not sure what you're getting at here. I already said above that I'd prefer that IndyCar runs the same circuit F1 does & that I don't care about the lap time comparison & I don't think most other fans do either. But somebody certainly seems to care. Bobby Epstein isn't going to spend even $1 just for the hell of it.

IF they want to put a chicane in the middle of the back straight through, to improve the action, that's a bad idea imho, because I think that would actually detract from the spectacle. It certainly wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me, but I don't think it would help, either. IndyCar's main advantage over F1 is top speed. I would think they would want to showcase their top speed along the back stretch, the way MotoGP does, hitting 212 miles an hour before braking. F1 doesn't do that. If they put a chicane along the back straight, they'll take away that ability to showcase IndyCar's strength imho.

Edited by AustinF1, 07 September 2018 - 19:46.

#645 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,772 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 17:00

Looks like COTA wants a switch back to the previous order...

COTA hopes Mexico GP date swap a one-off https://usat.ly/2x1DJbF

#646 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,772 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 20:25

IndyCar plans to use COTA's F1 configuration https://usat.ly/2OdWoYZ

IndyCar to hold 2019 Spring Training at COTA https://usat.ly/2OcfKxP

#647 f1paul

f1paul

• 6,835 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 20:00

Is this weekend's World RX big or not so big AustinF1? Just wondering. :)

DoHDBiTUcAAwe-1.jpg

DoHGYg2UcAEEsmD.jpg
I hope World RX will be received well but it also wouldn't surprise me too much if it's seen as a "low key" event. 

:D 

#648 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,772 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 20:43

Is this weekend's World RX big or not so big AustinF1? Just wondering. :)

DoHDBiTUcAAwe-1.jpg

DoHGYg2UcAEEsmD.jpg
I hope World RX will be received well but it also wouldn't surprise me too much if it's seen as a "low key" event. 

:D

Big in what way? The footprint is pretty small, using only the stadium section, and the grandstands in use only seat around 12k people for reserved seating (T15) and 6k or so for General Admission (T12). I doubt either will even approach being full judging from the ARX turnout earlier this year. IIRC that was free, and there might have been 1-2000 people on hand. COTA is touting it as a 'historic' event, but they seem to be having trouble selling tickets, based on what I've heard.They're giving them away now as well. I just got an email from one of my FD chiefs offering up free tickets that COTA has given our department. 

#649 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,772 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 21:04

No doubt COTA will say the turnout was huge no matter what though, lol.

#650 loki

loki

• 5,577 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 21:41

WRC only drew a couple/few thousand when they ran in town and that was during SEMA week.  These are primarily TV shows rather than standalone events.  Same with SST.  If they get more than a couple grand at a standalone event they're doing pretty good.