* * * * * 1 votes

COTA [merged]

• Please log in to reply
689 replies to this topic

#651 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,284 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 21:44

WRC only drew a couple/few thousand when they ran in town and that was during SEMA week.  These are primarily TV shows rather than standalone events.  Same with SST.  If they get more than a couple grand at a standalone event they're doing pretty good.

Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking ... it's like you're in the studio. These events aren't very impressive on TV imho. Even less so in person. I was being generous earlier with my estimate of the ARX thing. I'd be really surprised if there were 1000 people there. 

Advertisement

#652 f1paul

f1paul

• 6,199 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 13:36

Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking ... it's like you're in the studio. These events aren't very impressive on TV imho. Even less so in person. I was being generous earlier with my estimate of the ARX thing. I'd be really surprised if there were 1000 people there. 

Fair enough. What do you think are the most attended events at COTA? F1 first then...

#653 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 7,639 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 13:38

ARX (and GRC before) it, have never been good though.

#654 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,284 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 15:06

Fair enough. What do you think are the most attended events at COTA? F1 first then...

Heh, with or without the concert crowds? LOL. I bet more people show up at COTA tomorrow for the Ludacris show than for the rallycross.

I'll put events that have been lost in parenthesis, and IndyCar is coming, so I'll include them...

F1

MotoGP

IndyCar, (Aussie V8s)

(X Games)

(WEC/IMSA)

PWC

Hankook 24H 

Edited by AustinF1, 29 September 2018 - 01:32.

#655 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,284 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 15:14

ARX (and GRC before) it, have never been good though.

For me, there's never been anything compelling about rallycross of any sort. I saw it on tv & quickly tired of it. In person it was worse. IMHO it's a bad sign when your product is worse in person than on tv.

I'm a huge Petter Solberg fan, for example, but I wanna see him displaying his insane commitment and incredible skills on a rally stage, not racing a bunch of kids who have all the racecraft of a hammer, on a short, slow, bland 3 or 4 turn circuit. Looks like he may be headed back the WRC though, which is good imho. I've seen lots of racing in person, and this was pretty much the least entertaining thing I've seen. For a lot less money and hassle, there's far better action & better driving in modified & sprint races at local dirt tracks imho.

Edited by AustinF1, 29 September 2018 - 01:36.

#656 loki

loki

• 5,110 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 15:21

I quite enjoy rally cross.  I've been to a few of them in person and found the racing to be entertaining.  It's more like Supercross than road racing.

#657 Dangerpaws

Dangerpaws

• 106 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 21:11

I went to the F1 race last year and took the shuttle from the Travis County Expo Center. I see no info on the COTA website for shuttles operating from the Expo Center this year.... only for the downtown location. Are shuttles to the track only going to the downtown convention center site this year?

I am not from the Austin area and am worried about trying to park downtown to take the shuttle. Where do you park to take the shuttle downtown? Is there lots of parking? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Dangerpaws, 03 October 2018 - 21:14.

#658 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,284 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 21:30

I went to the F1 race last year and took the shuttle from the Travis County Expo Center. I see no info on the COTA website for shuttles operating from the Expo Center this year.... only for the downtown location. Are shuttles to the track only going to the downtown convention center site this year?

I am not from the Austin area and am worried about trying to park downtown to take the shuttle. Where do you park to take the shuttle downtown? Is there lots of parking? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Hey Paws, it looks like the downtown shuttle is the only shuttle option this year, at least from what the COTA site says right now. They're pretty notorious for leaving it pretty late when it comes to putting out info on these kinds of things, so watch that space closely. They've been known to change or add things very late in the game.

As for parking downtown to grab the shuttle, there's no easy answer to that either, I'm afraid. The Convention Center does have a 685-space garage, and there are other garages all over the downtown area. Street parking is harder than ever downtown these days, with all kinds of different hours, restrictions, etc. There is also a shopping mall - Barton Creek Square Mall -  not far from downtown. It has a huge lot and if you didn't mind the extra expense, you could Uber or Lyft from there to the CC Shuttle. Actually that might not be any more expensive than paying for parking.

A word of caution about the two different downtown shuttles: The higher-priced shuttle drops & picks up right at the Grand Plaza ($45/day). If you take the cheaper option that drops & picks up at the McAngus Road gate ($15/day), it's probably close to a 1 mile walk just to get to the Grand Plaza entrance (the closest COTA entry). Depending on where you sit, you may still have a long walk once you enter at the Grand Plaza.

ETA: My neighbor runs works at the Expo Center, so I'll ask her if she's heard anything.

ETA2: Just heard from her. She says that the last she heard is that they are doing an Expo Center shuttle. So who knows ....

Edited by AustinF1, 04 October 2018 - 01:55.

#659 Dangerpaws

Dangerpaws

• 106 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 00:12

Thanks for the info AustinF1! The Travis Expo center shuttle was so easy last year with tons of parking, and the downtown option seems like such a hassle. Guess I’ll wait a little longer to see if any info on the Travis Expo location appears.

Advertisement

#660 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 25,544 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 00:15

Damn... Just found out I'll be in town 2 days AFTER the GP

#661 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,284 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 01:19

Damn... Just found out I'll be in town 2 days AFTER the GP

Work, or pleasure?

#662 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,284 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 16:05

Thanks for the info AustinF1! The Travis Expo center shuttle was so easy last year with tons of parking, and the downtown option seems like such a hassle. Guess I’ll wait a little longer to see if any info on the Travis Expo location appears.

Talked to my neighbor again last night, and she said there still seems to be considerable confusion as to what COTA's going to do in regard to shuttle parking at the Expo Center. She said they continue to get calls from fans wanting to know what's going on, sometimes complaining because the Expo Center isn't providing good info. She says the Expo Center personnel refer them to COTA because it's COTA's event, and because the Expo Center apparently hasn't been told what's happening. The often say they've already tried calling COTA, but that their call wasn't answered, or if answered, nobody could answer the question. And that's probably because they're just temp help who's never even been to COTA. People don't realize COTA only has a handful of actual dedicated employees.

tl;dr: I still don't know if there will be Expo Center shuttles. I just checked their faq page, which seems to have been updated extensively in the last couple of days, and there's still no sign of the Expo Center shuttle.

And this is less than 2 weeks out from the race weekend. 

#663 ScuderiaSV1

ScuderiaSV1

• 145 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 17:20

Hey Dangerpaws- 

If I'm reading this correctly, it sounds like you rent or have a car for transportation.  I did the Shuttle for the first year and haven't used it since.

You can park close to the track for much cheaper than COTA charges for "their" lots..

#664 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,284 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 17:45

Hey Dangerpaws- 

If I'm reading this correctly, it sounds like you rent or have a car for transportation.  I did the Shuttle for the first year and haven't used it since.

You can park close to the track for much cheaper than COTA charges for "their" lots..

Yeah that's a great point too, Scuderia. There are a lot of lots neighboring the track that cost a lot less than COTA's lots. Some will even shuttle you in and out. Haywood's Hill out by Turn 11 is a great place to park or camp with a tent or RV for less than what COTA charges too. From their hillside, you can see from about halfway between T9 & T10 all the way down the back straight to T12.They allow campfires, etc, and also usually have BBQ for sale. Really nice folks. Their property is just a short walk from the T11 entrance, between the circuit and COTA's Lots L & M.  It's also nice because the campers tend to be very friendly and social, so after the race you can hang out for a little while and just let the traffic clear.

I'll try to find out what they're charging for car parking this year.

https://www.facebook.com/haywoodshill/

Edited by AustinF1, 06 October 2018 - 17:58.

#665 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,284 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 04:00

Almost forgot. I posted a couple galleries of COTA World RX pics on our Facebook page ... They're saying there were 18500 people there, which is patently absurd lol.

The pics below were shot on Sunday during the finals.

42889870_2238858602795339_48308976015722

42852511_2238854982795701_14513786273870

Edited by AustinF1, 08 October 2018 - 00:06.

#666 ScuderiaSV1

ScuderiaSV1

• 145 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 16:13

Yeah that's a great point too, Scuderia. There are a lot of lots neighboring the track that cost a lot less than COTA's lots. Some will even shuttle you in and out. Haywood's Hill out by Turn 11 is a great place to park or camp with a tent or RV for less than what COTA charges too. From their hillside, you can see from about halfway between T9 & T10 all the way down the back straight to T12.They allow campfires, etc, and also usually have BBQ for sale. Really nice folks. Their property is just a short walk from the T11 entrance, between the circuit and COTA's Lots L & M.  It's also nice because the campers tend to be very friendly and social, so after the race you can hang out for a little while and just let the traffic clear.

I'll try to find out what they're charging for car parking this year.

https://www.facebook.com/haywoodshill/

We personally park in one of the Front Yards near T1 every year.

For someone using Google Maps: you could punch in the Intersection of Elroy Road + Route 812 (or drop a Pin there).

Parking is $20/day (hard to beat IMO).

Hope everyone has a great time, COTA is next!!!!!!  :clap:

#667 Dangerpaws

Dangerpaws

• 106 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 22:06

Hey Dangerpaws- 

Yes...I have a rental car. Please point me in the direction of where to park. Looks like a lot of the track lots are full anyways. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

#668 Dangerpaws

Dangerpaws

• 106 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 22:38

Anyone know if there is car parking on McAngus Rd near where the shuttle drop off is?

#669 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 1,652 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 22:45

Almost forgot. I posted a couple galleries of COTA World RX pics on our Facebook page ... They're saying there were 18500 people there, which is patently absurd lol.

42889870_2238858602795339_48308976015722

42852511_2238854982795701_14513786273870

I saw a lot of people on social media saying they are going to travel to Austin for the F1 race, but we will see in two weeks time.

#670 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,284 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 00:05

Anyone know if there is car parking on McAngus Rd near where the shuttle drop off is?

No COTA parking. There may possibly be some in residential lots, but there aren't many homes over there, so I dunno. I've never looked over there for parking.

#671 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 25,544 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 00:36

Work, or pleasure?

Work, always work.
I'll be at the ACL Live on the Tuesday after the race.

#672 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,284 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 20:26

This is weird, since I can buy reserved seats on TM right now ...

Reserved tickets for COTA Formula 1 race in Austin sold out for first time since 2012 http://www.kvue.com/...2/269-603407690

#673 loki

loki

• 5,110 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:14

If you look at the Ticketmaster seat maps there are less than 500 reserved seats listed.  I'd be more curious to see how they've been allocating the capacity over the years.  For example how many seats have been available each year as well as the relative ticket costs for those seats over the years.

#674 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,284 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:29

If you look at the Ticketmaster seat maps there are less than 500 reserved seats listed.  I'd be more curious to see how they've been allocating the capacity over the years.  For example how many seats have been available each year as well as the relative ticket costs for those seats over the years.

Ticket costs have fairly steadily risen and seated capacity has fallen steadily over the years, by probably nearly half the original capacity. AFAIK 2016 was the last year they reduced capacity and it's been about the same since. Also, there are several hundred or maybe even thousands of seats available for Fri & Sat. There aren't a ton of seats left for Sunday, at least according to TM, but it seems odd to say it's sold out when there are seats they could still sell. Seems like someone somewhere screwed up, really. But who knows what they're doing over there.

#675 loki

loki

• 5,110 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:42

I was looking at 3 day reserved.   I'd expect Fri to have a ton of not only unsold seats but many with 3 day passes not going.  At an ICS or Cup race my favorite day is Fri.

#676 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 1,652 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 22:38

Ticket costs have fairly steadily risen and seated capacity has fallen steadily over the years, by probably nearly half the original capacity. AFAIK 2016 was the last year they reduced capacity and it's been about the same since. Also, there are several hundred or maybe even thousands of seats available for Fri & Sat. There aren't a ton of seats left for Sunday, at least according to TM, but it seems odd to say it's sold out when there are seats they could still sell. Seems like someone somewhere screwed up, really. But who knows what they're doing over there.

Maybe some people will go last minute because Lewis can wrap up the title in Austin. Mexico has sold almost all their tickets again.

#677 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,284 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 18:36

BTW, some of you may have seen the shot of it & heard Di Resta talking about it during the rain in FP1. There are long cracks developing around the circuit near where the bumps and bump-grinding have been. They were even visible from 250 feet up in the tower.

#678 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 1,359 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 20:34

That is not good news, Austin. I didn't see it, but it sounds like the problems are entering a new phase. This is now outside the bounds of my experience, but it is probably getting to the point where patching/grinding/other short-term fixes are no longer practical.

#679 RA2

RA2

• 831 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:54

Consultants and Contractors may have done a bad job, not COTA owners fault 

Advertisement

#680 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,284 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 03:11

Consultants and Contractors may have done a bad job, not COTA owners fault 

I think they did what they could with what they had. The soil is very bad out there to begin with, and they designed a big remediation project to create as solid of a foundation as possible.

That is not good news, Austin. I didn't see it, but it sounds like the problems are entering a new phase. This is now outside the bounds of my experience, but it is probably getting to the point where patching/grinding/other short-term fixes are no longer practical.

Yeah I dunno the ramifications of the cracks appearing, but I doubt it's good. Who knows, maybe they can seal them and move on.

#681 RA2

RA2

• 831 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 03:24

I think they did what they could with what they had. The soil is very bad out there to begin with, and they designed a big remediation project to create as solid of a foundation as possible.

Clearly they have gone the wrong way with it.

#682 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,284 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 04:51

Maybe. Not sure who's at fault, if anyone. 

#683 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 1,359 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 05:25

And you know this how?

The geotechnical characteristics of that site are quite extreme.  There may simply be no economically feasible solution, and if there is a mistake, it may be in building the circuit there in the first place.  Possibly everything since then was/is just aimed at keeping it functional as long as possible for as cheap as possible.  From comments above, the circuit appears to make more money from 'events' than racing, and the ROI on circuit maintenance is probably marginal at best.

I think I said somewhere upthread that I wouldn't be booking my 20-something USGP tickets just yet, these latest developments make me even less inclined to do so.

#684 RA2

RA2

• 831 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 05:39

And you know this how?

The geotechnical characteristics of that site are quite extreme.  There may simply be no economically feasible solution, and if there is a mistake, it may be in building the circuit there in the first place.  Possibly everything since then was/is just aimed at keeping it functional as long as possible for as cheap as possible.  From comments above, the circuit appears to make more money from 'events' than racing, and the ROI on circuit maintenance is probably marginal at best.

I think I said somewhere upthread that I wouldn't be booking my 20-something USGP tickets just yet, these latest developments make me even less inclined to do so.

Nothing is impossible, so don't blame the site

#685 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 1,359 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:07

If you have anything useful to contribute RA, I am all ears.  You say they have gone the wrong way about it, you could start by letting us know what you think is the right way.

#686 RA2

RA2

• 831 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:02

Already have, go back and check

#687 August

August

• 3,225 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 16:46

Muse to perform at COTA in the IndyCar weekend in March.

Funny how IndyCar beats F1 also in this department, I prefer Muse way over the artists COTA has had for the USGP.

#688 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,922 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 17:06

Muse to perform at COTA in the IndyCar weekend in March.

Funny how IndyCar beats F1 also in this department, I prefer Muse way over the artists COTA has had for the USGP.

Aw dang. And I'm thousands of kilometers away with no realistic way to get there easily. One of my favourite championships AND one of my favourite bands. AAAAAAARGH.

#689 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,284 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 16:42

Jesus ... seems like the wheels are coming off of Epstein's opposition to the new Austin MLS soccer (football to most of y'all) stadium. What a mess.

#690 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,284 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:51

COTA axed for 2019 as World RX announces revised Calendar: https://twitter.com/share

Edited by AustinF1, 07 December 2018 - 13:47.