* * * * * 1 votes

COTA [merged]

• Please log in to reply
878 replies to this topic

#751 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,472 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 17:52

Yeah, America is scared of how popular soccer may become.

No, Epstein has a poorly-attended minor league soccer team of his own, based at COTA. And an outdoor music venue.

The MLS team and their stadium will render both obsolete, so he's funding a PAC created solely to serve his purposes, but hiding behind the guise of protecting citizens from the big, bad, evil MLS team.

Advertisement

#752 loki

loki

• 5,979 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 18:40

The MLS team and their stadium will render both obsolete, 

Most of the acts coming through Austin aren't going to be able to fill an MLS stadium.  Austin isn't a big enough market to attract bands doing full blown stadium tours.  Bringing a proper stage/structure into a stadium for an act that draws less than 20k is prohibitively expensive.  This isn't the same thing that's used for the local foddie fest.  Plus Live Nation books the shed at COTA.  They can effectively out book anyone (except possibly AEG) and the new venue won't get any name talent.

This is more likely a play to block competition for his soccer team.

#753 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,472 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 18:48

Baseball is scared of how popular soccer may become. Baseball has an aging fanbase (Formula 1, also). 

Soccer has a young and diverse fanbase.

A good portion of MLS fans rather dislike the MLS team setting up shop across town in Austin, because of the operational shenanigans alleged against the owners (essentially, alleged to have ceased promotion of the Columbus franchise to bolster an argument of it being a weak soccer market, to get support to move to Austin). The Austin Bold (Epstein's franchise) was under development with stadium plans at COTA, giving it more dates of operating income, and intended to apply for MLS membership. It has instead settled for 2nd Division status. But, there's reason to wonder if the new Austin MLS franchise will be a success, particularly with the Austin Bold having more substantial local ties and Austinites appearing to care a good bit about that. (Austin MLS franchise is owned by a distant California owner nicknamed 'fratboi' by haters, including me, on soccer discussion forums.) 

Epstein didn't 'settle for 2nd division status' with the Bold. They were always going to be a USL team and not an MLS team, albeit with an eye toward trying to make the MLS jump later on. Epstein owned that franchise for years before actually doing anything with it, and he only finally decided to do something with it once he got wind of Precourt's plan to bring the Crew to Austin. Thus the rushed stadium building process.

Re: Austin soccer fans caring more about the Bold's Austin ties than the MLS ... eh, no. Despite success on the field, the Bold FC sit in the bottom 3rd of USL attendance, with attendance roughly 20% of what the top USL teams draw. USL teams. Let that sink in for a second. Yes, a big chunk of the few hundred fans that attend the games are there to see local soccer mentor & legend Sonny Guadarrama, but that's not nearly enough to overcome Epstein's alienation of the overwhelming majority of Austin's soccer community with his covert war against Austin FC and their stadium. Make no mistake ... Bobby Epstein is on Bobby Epstein's side. Full stop. "Protecting the citizens of Austin & Texas" is another ploy and couldn't be farther from his mind. Re: Crew attendance, even with Precourt gone, the Crew is still next to last in MLS attendance.

Edited by AustinF1, 17 July 2019 - 22:48.

#754 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,472 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 18:57

Most of the acts coming through Austin aren't going to be able to fill an MLS stadium.  Austin isn't a big enough market to attract bands doing full blown stadium tours.  Bringing a proper stage/structure into a stadium for an act that draws less than 20k is prohibitively expensive.  This isn't the same thing that's used for the local foddie fest.  Plus Live Nation books the shed at COTA.  They can effectively out book anyone (except possibly AEG) and the new venue won't get any name talent.

This is more likely a play to block competition for his soccer team.

According to locals in the know, it's both, but yeah, the bigger competition with Austin FC is in soccer. There are plans to use the MLS stadium for music acts without utilizing the whole venue. It will be shaded, every seat will be an actual seat, and it's far better-located than the 360 Amphitheater. It will be competition for the 360 Amphitheater, but not so much as the other venue set to be built - Live Nation & C3's own downtown basketball and music venue on the University of Texas campus. I doubt Live Nation's COTA bookings will be unaffected by their own large new downtown venue, to put it mildly.

With the MLS stadium and the large, state of the art C3/Live Nation downtown venue incoming, it's not looking good for the Bold or the 360. Beyond that, all Epstein has out there is a race track he doesn't care about beyond its ability to make him money. 

Edited by AustinF1, 17 July 2019 - 20:57.

#755 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 2,054 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 00:39

Epstein didn't 'settle for 2nd division status' with the Bold. They were always going to be a USL team and not an MLS team, albeit with an eye toward trying to make the MLS jump later on. Epstein owned that franchise for years before actually doing anything with it, and he only finally decided to do something with it once he got wind of Precourt's plan to bring the Crew to Austin. Thus the rushed stadium building process.

Re: Austin soccer fans caring more about the Bold's Austin ties than the MLS ... eh, no. Despite success on the field, the Bold FC sit in the bottom 3rd of USL attendance, with attendance roughly 20% of what the top USL teams draw. USL teams. Let that sink in for a second. Yes, a big chunk of the few hundred fans that attend the games are there to see local soccer mentor & legend Sonny Guadarrama, but that's not nearly enough to overcome Epstein's alienation of the overwhelming majority of Austin's soccer community with his covert war against Austin FC and their stadium. Make no mistake ... Bobby Epstein is on Bobby Epstein's side. Full stop. "Protecting the citizens of Austin & Texas" is another ploy and couldn't be farther from his mind. Re: Crew attendance, even with Precourt gone, the Crew is still next to last in MLS attendance.

Haven't built their new stadium yet. 

But, I'll accept my ignorance of things going on in Austin compared to someone on the ground. My reports are 2nd hand. 

#756 loki

loki

• 5,979 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:44

According to locals in the know, it's both, but yeah, the bigger competition with Austin FC is in soccer. There are plans to use the MLS stadium for music acts without utilizing the whole venue. It will be shaded, every seat will be an actual seat, and it's far better-located than the 360 Amphitheater. It will be competition for the 360 Amphitheater, but not so much as the other venue set to be built - Live Nation & C3's own downtown basketball and music venue on the University of Texas campus. I doubt Live Nation's COTA bookings will be unaffected by their own large new downtown venue, to put it mildly.

What's not obvious to those outside the industry is the seasonal aspect of the shed at COTA.  Austin hasn't had one until COTA and a soccer stadium won't replace it.  In many cases the acts I worked with when I was touring bypassed the market because there wasn't an appropriate venue.  Given the choice they'll take a purpose built music venue over a temp stage on a sport field all other things equal.  They aren't going to put a 4-5k seat act in a minor league soccer stadium.  They may say they're going to book music but unless they have someone like AEG or Live Nation doing it they aren't going to get name talent.  That and the fact that Live Nation is the current version of the company Red McCombs started and still has deep ties to.  Most anything with scale these days goes out as a package.  A single promoter will pick a dozen or two dates and in some cases the entire tour.   There is a lot more to this than you not liking the guy.

#757 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,472 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 03:45

There is a lot more to this than you not liking the guy.

You were doing so well until that last bit lol. I even mostly agreed with you, but I guess you just can't help yourself.  What did I say about Bobby in that post that was so bad? Obviously I don't like the guy (what's to like?), but that doesn't change what I'm hearing around town about all of this. All I'm repeating here is what news stories and others around Austin with knowledge of 360, Austin FC, the UT arena, and the 360 Amphitheater are saying. Even Epstein admits he's worried about the McKalla stadium competing with the 360.

Edited by AustinF1, 18 July 2019 - 03:56.

#758 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,472 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 03:47

Haven't built their new stadium yet. 

Who? Austin Bold or Austin FC? The Bold stadium is built and in use. Austin FC is supposed to break ground in a couple of months & they say it will be ready in plenty of time for the 2021 season.

Edited by AustinF1, 18 July 2019 - 05:10.

#759 loki

loki

• 5,979 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:00

You were doing so well until that last bit lol. I even mostly agreed with you, but I guess you just can't help yourself.  

No, I can't help myself.   :wave:  Just like you can't help painting Epstein in the worst possible light.  Though over the years he has earned that reputation.

Advertisement

#760 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,472 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:19

No, I can't help myself.   :wave:  Just like you can't help painting Epstein in the worst possible light.  Though over the years he has earned that reputation.

But that's not what I was doing. You're not here & you don't hear & see the news here or hear what people say about the guy. I hear MUCH worse stuff about Epstein than what I'm posting here. He's not at all popular around here, esp after all these soccer shenanigans. He's basically outed himself with all this anti-MLS mess & has made a bunch of new enemies. What in that post was 'painting Epstein in the worst possible light"? What common knowledge about Bobby Epstein am I leaving out that would make him  look so good, or not so bad?

#761 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 2,054 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 20:29

Who? Austin Bold or Austin FC? The Bold stadium is built and in use. Austin FC is supposed to break ground in a couple of months & they say it will be ready in plenty of time for the 2021 season.

Columbus. 

#762 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,472 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 21:25

Columbus. 

Oh. I don't think so. The public cost kept going up, but they approved it recently iirc.

#763 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,472 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 15:12

3 weeks from the start of the USGP Weekend, still no weekend schedule posted by COTA ... but I just received some intel.

- Looks like the supporting series will be Formula 4 & Masters Historic GP.

- Kool & the Gang will apparently play at the Amphitheater after the GP.

- Imagine Dragons Friday at 8:30. Pink Saturday at 8:00.

- No word on an F1 Fan Forum. No known plans for a Fan Fest, either.

Edited by AustinF1, 11 October 2019 - 15:40.

#764 monolulu

monolulu

• 1,106 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 15:47

3 weeks from the start of the USGP Weekend, still no weekend schedule posted by COTA ... but I just received some intel.

- Looks like the supporting series will be Formula 4 & Masters Historic GP.

- Kool & the Gang will apparently play at the Amphitheater after the GP.

- Imagine Dragons Friday at 8:30. Pink Saturday at 8:00.

- No word on an F1 Fan Forum. No known plans for a Fan Fest, either.

Also Endurance Legend races apparently. 

Edited by monolulu, 11 October 2019 - 15:48.

#765 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,472 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 15:49

Also Endurance Legend races apparently. 

Yes! My bad. Thank you.

#766 monolulu

monolulu

• 1,106 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 15:52

Hopefully no typhoons! Really looking forward to my first visit  :)

#767 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,472 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 16:10

Hopefully no typhoons! Really looking forward to my first visit  :)

Indeed.

Hope you enjoy your stay in Austin!

#768 StraightEdge

StraightEdge

• 336 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 14:36

Indycar Classic tickets went on sale earlier this week. I got grandstand ticket, paddock pass, and parking for three days under $300. They got early bird special on GA for $75 right now.

#769 RA2

RA2

• 1,247 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 15:13

Indycar Classic tickets went on sale earlier this week. I got grandstand ticket, paddock pass, and parking for three days under $300. They got early bird special on GA for $75 right now.

Sounds very overpriced

#770 sblick

sblick

• 855 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 16:35

100 dollars a day sounds pricey??  I thought that sounded well priced.

#771 RA2

RA2

• 1,247 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 17:18

100 for the weekend is well priced

It shouldn't cost more than 500 for a family

Edited by RA2, 17 October 2019 - 17:24.

#772 loki

loki

• 5,979 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 19:52

100 for the weekend is well priced

It shouldn't cost more than 500 for a family

That’s not the market though.  Long Beach is about the same.  $160 best seats, $60 paddock, $60 parking.  You can get 3 day GA for $100 with 12 and under free.  We were C300 club last season and it was about $400 plus parking.  Laguna was pretty good ticket wise but with camping it was almost a grand.  Plus RV.  If you want/need to go on the cheap Friday is usually papered by local Firestone dealers with kids free.

#773 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,472 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:00

COTA's weekend schedule for the 2019 USGP is out ... with 2 whole weeks to spare!!

Kool & the Gang playing the 360 Amphitheater after the GP. You heard it here first..

#774 Clatter

Clatter

• 36,030 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:31

COTA's weekend schedule for the 2019 USGP is out ... with 2 whole weeks to spare!!

Kool & the Gang playing the 360 Amphitheater after the GP. You heard it here first..

http://www.circuitof...tPJC0qUyIwB2JyA

How much extra do you need to pay for the concert?

#775 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,415 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:39

Included in your ticket price Clatter.... assuming you go to races.

I’m hoping to go again to the Indycar .. but it looks like work getting in the way as usual.

Jp

#776 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 1,533 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:12

How is the track looking Austin?  Any further deterioration?

#777 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,472 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 17:16

How is the track looking Austin?  Any further deterioration?

The last time I was out there was in April for MotoGP. It looks worse by varying amounts every time I go. Since then, we had a cool, very wet spring that suddenly got very hot and very dry in July & has stayed very dry since. That's probably not good & will probably have caused even more movement of the soil. I've read some comments recently from track day attendees complaining that the bumps are just getting worse and worse.

Here are some examples of what I saw in April. There are plenty more like these. Notice the lighter areas where the track has been 'shaved' or ground down to smooth out bumps. Every time I go out there, there are new areas that have been ground. They're all over the place, and they also tend to be where the cracks are worst and most frequent. Asphalt guys on another forum (and I think maybe here as well?) predicted this when COTA started bump grinding operations.

In this picture (around t5 iirc) you can see some kind of sealant has been used on the cracks. These were the first cracks that appeared before F1 2018 iirc. Remember when the FOM guys opened FP1 with a close up shot of them? As of April, these were the only cracks that had been attended to. These cracks will only worsen if not repaired.

QhWZJMd.jpg?3

The infamous T2 bumps ...

Zi4y1Tg.jpg?1

ZIbp3Il.jpg?1

NWQGAY3.jpg?1

Notice the rider's line here. Earlier in the day on Friday they were taking a wider line to avoid the bad bump on the inside of T18 that wrecked Vinales. That put them in that area where the track is deteriorating. The riders all adjusted to the inside line to avoid it, just as they've had to adjust to the outside of the T18 apex, where normally they'd come within inches of the kerb. That left them threading the needle between the bump and the breakup.

qklysaS.jpg?1

Edited by AustinF1, 31 October 2019 - 02:12.

#778 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 1,533 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 21:53

Thanks Austin  :clap: 

Yes, I was one of those.  Those cracks look pretty bad, and must be to be visible from that distance.  If the riders are avoiding them, it suggests to me that as well as opening horizontally, there is a vertical displacement as well. 

Some of those patches of grinding are big, but it is problematic to draw conclusions from that about how much has been ground off.  It doesn't breed confidence though.

The sealant will only serve two purposes - it will smooth the surface irregularities (it would need to be flexible to be anything other than very short term), and it will prevent water entering, freezing, and (as it expands) further damaging the pavement (do you get freezing temps there?).  It may also prevent water penetrating through the pavement to the underlying soil and exacerbating the wet/dry movement, depending on how deep (and how wide) the cracks are.

I seem to recall there is a pre-event FIA track inspection - be interesting to see if that triggers any concerns.  Otherwise we will await the driver comments after FP1 … 

#779 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,472 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 22:00

Thanks Austin  :clap:

Yes, I was one of those.  Those cracks look pretty bad, and must be to be visible from that distance.  If the riders are avoiding them, it suggests to me that as well as opening horizontally, there is a vertical displacement as well. 

Some of those patches of grinding are big, but it is problematic to draw conclusions from that about how much has been ground off.  It doesn't breed confidence though.

The sealant will only serve two purposes - it will smooth the surface irregularities (it would need to be flexible to be anything other than very short term), and it will prevent water entering, freezing, and (as it expands) further damaging the pavement (do you get freezing temps there?).  It may also prevent water penetrating through the pavement to the underlying soil and exacerbating the wet/dry movement, depending on how deep (and how wide) the cracks are.

I seem to recall there is a pre-event FIA track inspection - be interesting to see if that triggers any concerns.  Otherwise we will await the driver comments after FP1 … 

Yeah that was my concern with the cracks - that they'll accelerate deterioration. Yeah, we get freezing temps. We have also seen water weeping from the cracks...

Re: the pre-race inspection, I heard Charlie was pretty shocked by the condition, but as long as the circuit is at all raceable and that sanctioning fee is paid, you know the show will go on.

Advertisement

#780 OO7

OO7

• 19,241 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 22:06

The last time I was out there was in April for MotoGP. It looks worse by varying amounts every time I go. Since then, we had a cool, very wet spring that suddenly got very hot and very dry in July & has stayed very dry since. That's probably not good & will probably have caused even more movement of the soil. I've read some comments recently from track day attendees complaining that the bumps are just getting worse and worse.

Here are some examples of what I saw in April. There are plenty more like these. Notice the lighter areas where the track has been 'shaved' or ground down to smooth out bumps. Every time I go out there, there are new areas that have been ground. They're all over the place, and they also tend to be where the cracks are worst and most frequent. Asphalt guys on another forum (and I think maybe here as well?) predicted this when COTA started bump grinding operations.

In this picture (around t5 iirc) you can see some kind of sealant has been used on the cracks. These were the first cracks that appeared before F1 2018 iirc. Remember when the FOM guys opened FP1 with a close up shot of them? As of April, these were the only cracks that had been attended to. These cracks will only worsen if not repaired.

QhWZJMd.jpg?3

The infamous T2 bumps ...

Zi4y1Tg.jpg?1

ZIbp3Il.jpg?1

NWQGAY3.jpg?1

Notice the rider's line here. Earlier in the day on Friday they were taking a wider line that put them in that area where the track is deteriorating. The riders all adjusted to the inside line to avoid it, just as they've had to adjust to the outside of the T18 apex, where normally they'd come within inches of the kerb.

qklysaS.jpg?1

Cracks, bumps and changes in surface conditions.  Sounds like a proper circuit to me! :)

#781 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 3,491 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:03

Tracks should have imperfections designed in. Prototypes would then be built to deal with it instead tolerating only silky smooth arenas.

#782 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,465 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 12:23

Tracks should have imperfections designed in. Prototypes would then be built to deal with it instead tolerating only silky smooth arenas.

Didn't the Detroit GP have a spot on the track one year that gave all the teams a headache, except Tyrrell?? When the teams wanted the track surface modified (a big bump if I remember) Uncle Ken said my cars work just fine there. Make the other teams modify their cars!

#783 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,814 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 12:54

Indeed a few bumps here and there with some different lines isn't bad at all for racing.

#784 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,472 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 16:34

Didn't the Detroit GP have a spot on the track one year that gave all the teams a headache, except Tyrrell?? When the teams wanted the track surface modified (a big bump if I remember) Uncle Ken said my cars work just fine there. Make the other teams modify their cars!

It was a railroad crossing.

#785 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,472 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 16:35

Indeed a few bumps here and there with some different lines isn't bad at all for racing.

I agree 'a few bumps here and there' might not be bad. That's not what we have at COTA. 

#786 Clatter

Clatter

• 36,030 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 16:38

I agree 'a few bumps here and there' might not be bad. That's not what we have at COTA. 

Probably no worse than many of our British roads, so with road relevance in mind, they should just get on with it.

#787 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,472 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 16:47

Probably no worse than many of our British roads, so with road relevance in mind, they should just get on with it.

Maybe not. It's not worse than the rollercoaster roads around COTA itself, but it's not much better, either. At least those roads aren't cracking up (or at least when they do crack up, they get repaired). Maybe F1 should switch to road cars when they come to COTA, so they can handle the whoop-de-doos. Maybe MotoGP should, too. Or maybe they should all go to SSTs, or MX bikes. The SSTs put on one of the best shows I've seen lol.

Edited by AustinF1, 20 October 2019 - 05:07.

#788 loki

loki

• 5,979 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:33

Maybe not. It's not worse than the rollercoaster roads around COTA itself, but it's not much better, either. At least those roads aren't cracking up (or at least when they do crack up, they get repaired). Maybe F1 should switch to road cars when they come to COTA, so they can handle the whoop-de-doos. Maybe MotoGP should, too. Or maybe they should all go to SSTs, or MX bikes. The SSTs put on one of the best shows I've seen lol.

Once one sees more natural terrain road course in the US they realize that COTA is still in good shape compared most of the other tracks in the county.  What we have are the “World’s Greatest Drivers” ™ when they behave more like the world’s greatest whiners.   It’s bumpy and cracking in some places.  They need to shutup and drive.

#789 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,458 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 14:43

It's fine having races over rough roads, and rally drivers do it all the time; but you need to decide that for your series before everyone designs cars. It's not as though Austin was intended to replicate the Paris-Vienna of 1902. It was designed as a smooth F1 track and its construction was cocked up.

#790 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,472 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 15:34

Once one sees more natural terrain road course in the US they realize that COTA is still in good shape compared most of the other tracks in the county.  What we have are the “World’s Greatest Drivers” ™ when they behave more like the world’s greatest whiners.   It’s bumpy and cracking in some places.  They need to shutup and drive.

Lulz. OK. Ever driven the circuit? Or the others you say are bumpier or in worse shape? Never mind. I know the answer. Those courses you're talking about are old AF, and I doubt many are in worse shape than COTA is. Laguna Seca is over 60 years old. I've driven it and COTA, and Laguna is in MUCH better shape. Not even close. But it's irrelevant, because F1 isn't racing at those circuits. Hell, even track day drivers are complaining about the surface at COTA now, but you think F1 drivers & MotoGP riders shouldn't complain. 

It's fine having races over rough roads, and rally drivers do it all the time; but you need to decide that for your series before everyone designs cars. It's not as though Austin was intended to replicate the Paris-Vienna of 1902. It was designed as a smooth F1 track and its construction was cocked up.

Exactly. COTA was designed to be as smooth as possible and specifically, with great effort and expense, to NOT do what it's doing after just 7 years. It was lauded afterward for it's billiard table smooth surface, and for the advanced asphalt composition and construction techniques that produced that surface. COTA made a big show of the engineered soil remediation, the specialized, imported aggregate, and the high-end, European, very expensive paving machine they imported for the job, etc. Either the design was insufficient to the task (which is a significant one given the conditions out there), or the construction was sub-par, for whatever reason, or both.

Edited by AustinF1, 20 October 2019 - 16:16.

#791 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,472 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 05:46

Yet another series leaves COTA in their rearview mirrors.

No COTA on the 2020 Blancpain World Challenge calendar.

#792 Clatter

Clatter

• 36,030 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 10:53

Yet another series leaves COTA in their rearview mirrors.

No COTA on the 2020 Blancpain World Challenge calendar.

Whats their reason?

#793 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,472 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 14:15

Whats their reason?

Dunno.

#794 loki

loki

• 5,979 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 02:09

Lulz. OK. Ever driven the circuit? Or the others you say are bumpier or in worse shape? Never mind. I know the answer.

Do Portland, Mid Ohio, Road America, Road Atlanta, Willow Springs, Laguna Seca, Sears Point, Thunderhill, Spring Mountain, Fontana Roval, LVMS Roval, LVMS “outside” road course, Spokane and Pacific Raceways count?  I may have missed a couple.  As for CoTA nope. The docs had me stop racing before they allowed club racers to run there.  I haven’t raced in 7 years or so and most of the road racing was in the early 2000s before I went circle track racing.

#795 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,472 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 02:58

Do Portland, Mid Ohio, Road America, Road Atlanta, Willow Springs, Laguna Seca, Sears Point, Thunderhill, Spring Mountain, Fontana Roval, LVMS Roval, LVMS “outside” road course, Spokane and Pacific Raceways count?  I may have missed a couple.  As for CoTA nope. The docs had me stop racing before they allowed club racers to run there.  I haven’t raced in 7 years or so and most of the road racing was in the early 2000s before I went circle track racing.

So ... no. You haven't driven COTA, so you don't know how bumpy it is.

#796 zibby43

zibby43

• 107 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 06:17

So ... no. You haven't driven COTA, so you don't know how bumpy it is.

Not the poster you were responding to, but I was at COTA a few years ago for an AMG Driving Academy Event.  Loved the circuit.  Had quite a few laps in the AMG GT S and the SLS. 

Headed back to turn a few more laps this December!  It is bumpy, and challenging.  I love it.

Edited by zibby43, 29 October 2019 - 06:17.

#797 MinardiCrashDummy

MinardiCrashDummy

• 369 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 09:56

Is there anything they can do about the surface longterm without completely rebuilding it if that is even possible.

#798 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,472 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 15:21

Not the poster you were responding to, but I was at COTA a few years ago for an AMG Driving Academy Event.  Loved the circuit.  Had quite a few laps in the AMG GT S and the SLS. 

Headed back to turn a few more laps this December!  It is bumpy, and challenging.  I love it.

Yeah the AMG Academy is a lot of fun. They really do a fantastic job and make everyone very much at ease. Been a few years since you were there? You'll likely see a big difference.

#799 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,472 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 15:30

Is there anything they can do about the surface longterm without completely rebuilding it if that is even possible.

I don't think so. I can't imagine what. They can only grind the bumps so much, and we're already seeing ill effects (cracks) resulting from the grinding, as some (Hi GreenMachine!) predicted would happen. If you just add a new layer on top of this one, that doesn't address the problem either and likely makes it worse in the long run, too, I guess.

That's a tricky problem now for them now imho. I doubt they'll do anything substantive without first securing a new F1 contract. They only have 2 years left on their current one, after this weekend. But even if they get that contract, I've been told a resurfacing would cost $8-12 million, and I don't know if that even does anything to go farther in remediation of the underlying soil issues. The track got this bad in just 7 years, so there's a risk there of rebuilding it and then facing the same kind of problem again in just a few years.

Advertisement

#800 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,472 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 15:52

How many more years is the contract set? I can imagine it not being renewed at some point due to this. 

Through the 2021 race.