Photo
- - - - -

8 Star Motorsports Ferrari Overall Result at 6 Hours of Silverstone ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 17:17

Unfortunately I forgot to take the batteries, for my Sports FM Walkman, out their charger before I headed off for the 6 Hours of Silverstone on Easter Sunday so I missed a good deal of the commentary as there did not appear to be any fm receivers on sale. I also tried getting a signal through the Radio Le Mans website on my i-phone but that also failed.

27_90_DSCN0850sc.jpg

Either way I thoroughly enjoyed myself, but was wondering if anyone picked up from the commentary why the #90 LMGTE AM 8 Star Motorsports Ferrari Italia driven by Vicente Potolicchio, Gianluca Roda and Paolo Ruberti was shown as 27th overall and last according to the Official FIA Website results when with 118 laps completed it should have been 21st overall ? 

The 8 Star Motorsport Website where I have also posted this question mentions the problem they had with a drive shaft that caused it's retirement, 3 stop go penalties thanks to a dodgy speed limiter and it's seventh in class result based on laps completed.

I cannot find any mention of the 8 Star Motorsports efforts on Easter Sunday in Autosport, I looked a second time with a magnifying class to make sure I had not missed anything :blush:

Advertisement

#2 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 17:23

Looked like a funny little oversight to me, until I looked on the official results on Al Kamel Systems' page which stores all WEC timing data: http://fiawec.alkamelsystems.com/, more specifically at http://fiawec.alkame...Race_Hour 6.PDF

According to the result sheet there, the team actually bothered to sign the race retirement form, unlike the other teams which did not finish, that's why it's classified as "retired" instead of "not classified". There's a whole procedure behind actually retiring from an endurance race.

#3 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 22:00

Thanks Victor most helpful, I wonder what the point of the retirement procedure is if most of those who retire do not  bother to use it  :confused: 

#4 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:51

Thanks Victor most helpful, I wonder what the point of the retirement procedure is if most of those who retire do not  bother to use it  :confused:

I guess they can't be bothered to do so in a 6-hour race, but it's actually used quite extensively at Le Mans. If you check the result from last year's race, all the DNFs are actually listed as "retired", and the only "not classified" car is a car that took the checkered flag after 24h, but after covering insufficient distance (less than 70% of the winner's distance). Maybe they don't allow you to pull your garage door down unless you sign the retirement form at Le Mans? I really don't know, but it seems like the procedure is used very much there.