* * * * * 2 votes

Nissan to enter works LMP1 team in 2015 Le Mans 24h and WEC

• Please log in to reply
823 replies to this topic

#201 noikeee

noikeee

• 14,750 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:44

I remember back in the day Red bull testing a complete donkey on track and everyone writing off the whole season. Oh wait, that was last year when they came back to win 3 races and stick their middle finger up at everyone bar Mercedes

That was impressive and a good example of how things can be turned around, but I suspect getting around issues in LMP prototypes that compete for 24 hours is a whole different game.

Advertisement

#202 Imateria

Imateria

• 1,857 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:45

Im not! Fwd should lead to less power loss between engine and wheels. IF they run the rear with all hybrid power, theres not many instances where the fwd will be struggling to put down power, if at all. Touring cars get away with it and theyre a lot heavier albeit less powerful. It's going to be interesting, thats for sure.

Yes, and teams running front wheel drive cars have been complaining for decades that rear wheel drive cars have an advantage, and not just off the start line.

#203 dau

dau

• 5,372 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 13:44

Yes, and teams running front wheel drive cars have been complaining for decades that rear wheel drive cars have an advantage, and not just off the start line.

Sure, but they've also been winning over RWD cars over decades, haven't they? Anyway, we're not talking about a FWD car here, it will be 4WD just like the other LMP1s, so the FWDs disadvantage at accelerating out of corners shouldn't be a problem here. It's probably still going to have more tyre wear at the front, but if Mike Fuller is right with the massive reduction in drag, they wouldn't even need to be that fast in the corners. 

Also, i don't think they'll be going for the win this year anyway. I expect that car to be the slowest of all LMP1Hs, but the most fun to look at. I just hope they can manage to finish a race for once.

#204 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,094 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 15:02

BOOM!

Jalopnik hit it out of the park with this one

B7uJ1auCMAAuRtS.jpg

More pics and VIDEO!: http://blackflag.jal...e-ma-1680363700

#205 AllenT

AllenT

• 219 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 15:14

Funny ugly car 

#206 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 18,186 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 15:24

Funny ugly car 

Batmobile I love it.

:cool:

#207 Imateria

Imateria

• 1,857 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 15:40

Sure, but they've also been winning over RWD cars over decades, haven't they? Anyway, we're not talking about a FWD car here, it will be 4WD just like the other LMP1s, so the FWDs disadvantage at accelerating out of corners shouldn't be a problem here. It's probably still going to have more tyre wear at the front, but if Mike Fuller is right with the massive reduction in drag, they wouldn't even need to be that fast in the corners. 

Also, i don't think they'll be going for the win this year anyway. I expect that car to be the slowest of all LMP1Hs, but the most fun to look at. I just hope they can manage to finish a race for once.

The 4WD is not permanent, the FWD is, thats why I'm focusing on it. And the main disadvantage whould be that having the fronts both drive and steer the car tends to overwork them, inducing understeer and lowering tyre life, so I expect this car to be a little slow through the Porsche curves and the Esses and strugle to get those quaduple stints in. At least Rebellion will have a works team they can beat.

Obviously they're not going for the win this year, but I doubt they can match what Porsche and Toyota achieved in their first years, let alone what Peugeot did back in 07.

#208 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,094 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 15:56

That engine sound is odd. I/V4 ish, very loud. No turbo?

#209 FerrariV12

FerrariV12

• 934 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 16:23

Also - and I may be wrong as I haven't really followed touring cars strongly since the mid-to-late 90s, aren't the RWDs BOPped in terms of weight and stuff to help the FWD's be competitive? Or is the extra weight just a natural consequence of the extra hardware in the drivetrain?

Either way, fair play to Nissan for trying something different if that is the case, it's what I love about the sport, but if it doesn't work I'd hope there'd be no performance balancing (either for FWD or front engined) to peg back the other three.

Edited by FerrariV12, 19 January 2015 - 16:24.

#210 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 20,742 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 16:27

Who is the design team behind the GT-R? Have Nissan recruited from previous constructors such as Peugeot/Pescarolo/Aston Martin?

#211 FerrariV12

FerrariV12

• 934 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 16:31

Who is the design team behind the GT-R? Have Nissan recruited from previous constructors such as Peugeot/Pescarolo/Aston Martin?

I think Ben Bowlby of DeltaWing fame is the lead designer/technical director/insert appropriate title here. Haven't heard of any other name designers being involved or any particular recruitment from other LMP1 programmes though, that's not to say there isn't or hasn't been, of course.

Edited by FerrariV12, 19 January 2015 - 16:33.

#212 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,279 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 16:31

BOOM!

B7uJ1auCMAAuRtS.jpg

Yep! Told y'all Stef was on the case. Kudos to her for sticking it out and killing her Sunday at Haywood's Hill near COTA getting these shots!

Edited by AustinF1, 19 January 2015 - 16:56.

#213 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,094 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 16:48

lika.png

Jalopnik, the site that knew to much?  :lol:

Edited by Richard T, 19 January 2015 - 16:49.

#214 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,279 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 16:57

Looks like the rendering was spot on.

#215 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 18,186 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 16:58

Looks like the rendering was spot on.

Turning opposite way, and different colour. :rotfl:

#216 917k

• 2,801 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 17:00

Batmobile, only uglier.

#217 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,279 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 17:05

Turning opposite way, and different colour. :rotfl:

Not sure if serious.

#218 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 4,983 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 17:05

Also - and I may be wrong as I haven't really followed touring cars strongly since the mid-to-late 90s, aren't the RWDs BOPped in terms of weight and stuff to help the FWD's be competitive? Or is the extra weight just a natural consequence of the extra hardware in the drivetrain?

Either way, fair play to Nissan for trying something different if that is the case, it's what I love about the sport, but if it doesn't work I'd hope there'd be no performance balancing (either for FWD or front engined) to peg back the other three.

Yes, in touring cars RWD carry extra weight to compensate for their advantage - combined with longer gearing these days to help reduce their traction advantage. RWD is a far more suitable arrangement for a racing car, simple as that.

The only area I can see FWD having a bit of advantage is in terms of high speed stability when cornering. FWD touring cars generally have an advantage at, say, Thruxton due the high speed corners and the advantage of RWD (traction mainly) being less of a factor. I guess FWD may be less of a disadvantage at Le Mans compared to more 'normal' tracks as the (relatively) few corners there are generally high speed.

I sincerely hope there is no BOP for this configuration, if it works then great, if not, then they should have thought a bit harder.

#219 F166

F166

• 19 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 17:21

The rendering was spot on because they had some photo's that they couldn't publish apparently!! Everyone just threw it under the bus because it looks like a kids drawing.

Doesn't look like there's anywhere for the front diffuser flow to exit, maybe they've applied some of the stuff Aston tried with the AMR-one.

Advertisement

#220 jee

jee

• 902 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 17:22

Do not forget that the LMP1 cars are hybrid which makes them partially AWD. This will reduce the disadvantage of a FWD at Le Mans and other fast stop&go tracks.

#221 BRG

BRG

• 16,121 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 17:26

The only area I can see FWD having a bit of advantage is in terms of high speed stability when cornering. FWD touring cars generally have an advantage at, say, Thruxton due the high speed corners and the advantage of RWD (traction mainly) being less of a factor. 

Thruxton?  Until the offside front tyre explodes under the strain after about 10 laps.  And that's with only a couple of hundred bhp.  There's a reason why all the powerful road and race cars are essentially RWD or AWD with a bias to the rear.

I think Ben Bowlby of DeltaWing fame is the lead designer/technical director/insert appropriate title here. 

After the runaway success of the Deltawing, that bodes well for Nissan.   ;)

#222 dau

dau

• 5,372 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 17:33

The 4WD is not permanent, the FWD is, thats why I'm focusing on it. And the main disadvantage whould be that having the fronts both drive and steer the car tends to overwork them, inducing understeer and lowering tyre life, so I expect this car to be a little slow through the Porsche curves and the Esses and strugle to get those quaduple stints in. At least Rebellion will have a works team they can beat.

Obviously they're not going for the win this year, but I doubt they can match what Porsche and Toyota achieved in their first years, let alone what Peugeot did back in 07.

The 4WD doesn't have to be permanent to mitigate the FWDs disadvantages out of the corners. Yes, they will likely struggle in the Porsche curves, but if the rumours are true, then that car is built for the straights and the few seconds of 4WD should be sufficient there. Actually, with Nissan being so focused on PR in the past years, i kinda wonder if they would go a bit crazy and totally sacrifice laptime to go for the top speed record. Currently held by a Nissan.

Well, they are said to have a much lower budget, so it wouldn't be surprising if they can't repeat what Porsche and Toyota did.

--

Anyway, i already love it. Not in an aesthetic sense, i'm just happy they're brave enough to try something different. I just hope it's not going to be another AMR-O...gotta stop there.

Edited by dau, 19 January 2015 - 17:34.

#223 MatthewA

MatthewA

• 83 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 17:38

What do ya know, eh? Jalponik seem to have been right!

http://blackflag.jal...e-ma-1680363700

EDIT: Whoops! Beaten to it! :rotfl:

Edited by MatthewA, 19 January 2015 - 17:43.

#224 muramasa

muramasa

• 7,731 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 17:40

Its head lights remind me of this :lol:

0aIAaSo.jpg

d5AX4dW.jpg

#225 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 18,186 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 17:57

Not sure if serious.

Really not sure??? This one  :rotfl:   should really have given it away, think the idea that you were serious makes less sense.

So back to thread, I am certain that Nissan know what they are doing and I am pleased there is a Manufacturer ready to lay a degree of their reputation on the line going an unconventional way.

#226 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 18:25

BOOM!

B7uJ1auCMAAuRtS.jpg

Can I say it looks fast now?

#227 Imateria

Imateria

• 1,857 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 19:07

Its head lights remind me of this :lol:

0aIAaSo.jpg

d5AX4dW.jpg

Letshope Nissan chose more emotionally stable pilots!

#228 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,279 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 20:07

Really not sure??? This one  :rotfl:   should really have given it away, think the idea that you were serious makes less sense.

So back to thread, I am certain that Nissan know what they are doing and I am pleased there is a Manufacturer ready to lay a degree of their reputation on the line going an unconventional way.

????

I'm struggling to understand how it matters at all which side of the car is shown in the rendering, but they have pics taken with the car going both directions (L-R and R-L), so I'm not sure what the mystery is. They also had other pics that they couldn't use, which led to the rendering in the first place. The car in the rendering is likely red because making it black would have made it more difficult to show some details.

The bottom line is that some folks have been critiquing Jalopnik rather harshly over the rendering, when in fact it was spot on, nailing the basic design of this car, including some significant details. With which part of their rendering do you take issue?

#229 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 20:11

Can I say it looks fast now?

You can if you REALLY want to... Although from a "if it looks fast..." perspective I'd suggest that it'll perform like a karaoke singer in Lowestoft.

#230 dau

dau

• 5,372 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 20:14

????

I'm struggling to understand how it matters at all which side of the car is shown in the rendering, but they have pics taken with the car going both directions (L-R and R-L), so I'm not sure what the mystery is. They also had other pics that they couldn't use, which led to the rendering in the first place. The car in the rendering is likely red because making it black would have made it more difficult to show some details.

I don't think so, the pics we got yesterday showed a red-white livery. So either they have several cars at Austin or scraped off the paint for...reasons.

Also, i think KWSN-DSM was just joking there.

#231 F166

F166

• 19 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 20:16

????

The bottom line is that some folks have been critiquing Jalopnik rather harshly over the rendering, when in fact it was spot on, nailing the basic design of this car, including some significant details. With which part of their rendering do you take issue?

The guy's joking jeez

If they're filming for the superbowl ad they'll have a car liveried up for sure.

#232 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,279 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 20:22

The guy's joking jeez

Good enough. Never know around here any more...smilies or otherwise.

#233 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,279 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 20:23

I don't think so, the pics we got yesterday showed a red-white livery. So either they have several cars at Austin or scraped off the paint for...reasons.

FWIW, I've heard they had more than 1 car at COTA.

#234 Funkyskunk2

Funkyskunk2

• 51 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 20:41

pKwCjgm.jpgSI6XagM.jpgxdXmsuY.jpgu0M5SPn.jpg

Removed the text.

Edit: Had to.

ZA8jMGE.jpg

De0ELr8.jpg

Edited by Funkyskunk2, 19 January 2015 - 21:14.

#235 FerrariV12

FerrariV12

• 934 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 20:48

:rotfl:  :rotfl:

..speaking of which, any word on who was driving the car in those shots? Krumm would be my best guess but have no idea.

Edited by FerrariV12, 19 January 2015 - 20:48.

#236 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,279 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 20:54

Front tires look bigger than the rear tires. Interesting.

#237 dau

dau

• 5,372 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 20:55

:rotfl:   :rotfl:

..speaking of which, any word on who was driving the car in those shots? Krumm would be my best guess but have no idea.

Wondered about that as well. Helmet seems to be red or pink with a white band, which made me think of Natacha Gachnang for some reason. She's not affiliated with NISMO though, is she?

Edited by dau, 19 January 2015 - 20:56.

#238 F166

F166

• 19 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 20:58

:rotfl:  :rotfl:

Yeah apparently it is Krumm doing the driving

The rear tires are supposedly smaller so they could lower the drag levels a bit

#239 TF110

TF110

• 2,759 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 21:32

That thing is nuts!

Advertisement

#240 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 21:37

Love it. It's the Batshit-Crazy-Mobile.
I'll eat my words (or thoughts). I thought that drawing was complete rubbish and there was no way it would look like that but here we are.

Great to see people pushing design and normality.

#241 Imateria

Imateria

• 1,857 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 22:27

Yeah apparently it is Krumm doing the driving

The rear tires are supposedly smaller so they could lower the drag levels a bit

Yeah I think he was reported to be the one to do the initial shake down testing which seems to be continuing.

Deffinitely unusual to see front tyres noticibly larger than the rears.

#242 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 25,888 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 22:46

I heard GT Academy is a phantom organization made of 108 front companies, and Darren Cox picks all the drivers by hand

#243 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 5,712 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 23:09

My goodness, it's chuffin' ugly. Although I suppose that's no surprise from the company that brought you the DeltaWing and Zeod...

Hopefully it'll look a bit better when it is liveried up.

#244 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 2,657 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:27

Don't know if anyone has shared this yet, but Mike's analysis on the car from 1/07 is very interesting. I'm looking forward to him breaking down these new pictures in the next day or so.

http://www.mulsannes.../newsjan15.html

I actually kind of love this car. It's so different. LMP1 in 2015 is going to be wild. If this thing really will hit 230+ mph at Le Mans, prepare for a mad dash for 1st place on lap 1 at LM, because the car probably won't go the distance.

#245 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 8,587 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:54

My goodness, it's chuffin' ugly. Although I suppose that's no surprise from the company that brought you the DeltaWing and Zeod...

Hopefully it'll look a bit better when it is liveried up.

I had intentions to drop F1 and follow sportscars instead.

Now I am not gonna say that I think that the 2014 generation of LMP1's were teh best looking of recent years.

But if that Nissan thing succeeds and will set a new trend then i'm gonna stop watching sportscars too.

I thought that for sheer uglyness we had seen the top within F1 recently. But this?????

But OK, Many dislike the 1979 Ferrari 312T4 for looking ugly while I think it to look neat and functional.

And it dit the job it was made for.

This Nissan crate at least looks functional.....

Henri

EDIT: After reading the provided link some posts before, I think that, despit that I hate looking at it, i will give it credit for being one of the most revolutionary, most innovative cars ever built, Hats off for the efforts but the result, I hope it won't be a success to avoid getting more of sucht things on the track.

END EDIT

Edited by Henri Greuter, 20 January 2015 - 13:02.

#246 Imateria

Imateria

• 1,857 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:48

I heard GT Academy is a phantom organization made of 108 front companies, and Darren Cox picks all the drivers by hand

Whilst the design team are all working to scripture from the Dead Sea Scrolls.

#247 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 4,983 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 17:01

Thruxton?  Until the offside front tyre explodes under the strain after about 10 laps.  And that's with only a couple of hundred bhp.  There's a reason why all the powerful road and race cars are essentially RWD or AWD with a bias to the rear.

Oh I agree RWD or AWD is the way to go if you are starting form a clean sheet, unless you have unlimited money and a very specific marketing objective. I was just pointing out that I'd prefer to have a slightly understeering car going round, say, Church, than an oversteering one.

#248 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,260 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 18:43

The thing I like about the Nissan, is it cuts down on the amount of that offensive fin they all carry.

#249 TF110

TF110

• 2,759 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 19:43

Michelin wont have trouble making a tire that can handle the pressures this car will put on them. This isnt a spec Pirelli. Dont think its the best looking car, but its not ugly either. The pics arent showing the final design, so I think its got time to win people over.

#250 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 8,587 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 19:54

The thing I like about the Nissan, is it cuts down on the amount of that offensive fin they all carry.

But if you don't favour long nosed of front engined cars you get something horrible for that reduced fin in return....

I wonder how fast the Nissan will wear out its front tires. Fron tire wear has always been a problem on very powerful frontdriven cars. Must have taken a lot of ingenious front suspension and differential technology.

Henri