Photo

RIP, "Speedy" Bill Smith

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,151 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 16:16

I was stunned to read, on another forum, someone mentioning on the side that Speedy Bill had died over the weekend! Apparently, he passed away on Friday, after 85 years of a VERY fully lived life. Apart from his participation and many wins in virtually every form of motorsport as an owner, he left the "Speedway Motors" speed shop and the "American Museum of Speed" in Lincoln, Nebraska, as a legacy. Too bad I never got to meet him :(

Advertisement

#2 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,324 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:19

Sorry to hear this also. I've been around classic car events (ACD and CCCA) all of my life and he was a regular visitor who I often saw, but I didn't have many opportunities to speak with him. An ex-colleague, now in New Jersey, was very close to Mr. Smith. Thoughts to family and those close to him.

#3 edtheshred

edtheshred

• 11 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 18:25

if any of you ever get the chance to visit the American Museum of Speed do not i repeat do not pass it up! and plan to spend the whole day, its really really cool.

as ever

ed

#4 teegeefla

teegeefla

• 310 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 23:51

I was fortunate to work with "Speedy Bill" on a tv show several years ago; he and his family were wonderful to deal with and their museum was absolutely stunning. Bill took me on a tour of the entire facility so I could plan my shooting schedule, and as amazing as the displays were, some of the items behind the scenes in storage were even more impressive. The museum is well worth a full day visit, even if Lincoln, Nebraska requires a detour in your travels.

RIP Speedy.

Edited by teegeefla, 04 June 2014 - 23:51.

#5 Pat Clarke

Pat Clarke

• 3,023 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 15:09

RIP Mr Smith

I visited his Museum of Speed last year when I was in Lincoln. What a fantastic legacy the man has left.

If ever you are just passing through Lincoln (yeah   ;) ) you must stop and view the museum. Fantastic trip down American Motorsport Memory Lane!

Pat