Photo

Dick Tarrant - racing mechanic and early kart builder

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mariner

mariner

• 2,329 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 14:04

Dick Tarrant , who was a sports car mechanic to Sir Stirling Moss has died after surviving many years with cancer.

Most TNF's wil probably never heard of Dick but as well as looking after Moss's Cooper Monaco and Lotus 19 sports cars he was involved at the very birth of British karting.

http://karting.archi...cial-kart-race-

Advertisement

#2 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 13:13

I'm very sorry to hear that. I have had numerous conversations over the years with Dick about the Moss Lotus 19 that he worked on and he proved extremely knowledgeable and helpful. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

#3 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 14:28

Michael, was he connected to Brian Tarrant, he of the Martin V8 engined A40, if memory serves aright?

Roger Lund

#4 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 20:47

Michael, was he connected to Brian Tarrant, he of the Martin V8 engined A40, if memory serves aright?

Roger Lund

That element never came up in my discussions with him, so sorry, I don't know.

#5 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:17

Roger Lund

Not sure, but didn't that A40 have a Chevy engine?

I found myself on the same table as Dick Tarrant at an Historic Lotus Register dinner about 10 years ago, I found him to be very friendly, with great stories to tell. We talked about the Lotus 19 and kart racing at Long Marston near Tring in the early sixties.

#6 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:12

David, you are probably right. I have not checked but I suspect it was Brian Cutting with the Martin V8. Another C R A F T day here again.

RL