Photo

Riders racing under assumed names/pseudonyms

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,362 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:41

Back in 1996 Hungarian speedway rider Attila Stefani rode for the Oxford Cheetahs in the United Kingdom Premier League under the assumed name of "Mark Frost". Have there been any other riders who have competed using an assumed name or pseudonym?

Advertisement

#2 fastfitter

fastfitter

• 174 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:08

In the late 60's there was a rider called Brian Banglestein doing the nationals on a Manx or G50 if I remember right - I always wondered   ;)

#3 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,231 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 14:37

Most well known example would be Eccles Cayke - who raced a Ducati 900SS (or similar?) at Snetterton and Brands in the late-seventies/early-eighties. I think the story goes that if his parents knew of his racing exploits, they would stop financing his stint at university!

As for Brian Banglestein, (who was a topic of conversation some years ago on the forum) I remember him well. Long hippy-hair wig with headband and sunglasses (cross an Apache indian with on overwieght Ozzie Osbourne and you get somewhere near :lol:!). He used to ride an immaculate 500 Manx with a white Peel fairing. Some speculated that he was a titled aristocrat of somekind, who enjoyed leading a double life as a motorcycle racer. A search of the TT Database shows he did four MGP's in the seventies. Can anyone add more meat to the story? I for one, would love to know! 

#4 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 16:20

I'm sure I read a story somewhere about a guy who did the MGP under an assumed name in the 50's or 60's, this fella's boss wouldn't give him the time off so he entered under assumed name and went sick for a couple of weeks!!

I might have seen it in the late Peter kneale's MGP history book which I have somewhere.

In the early 80's I also remember Nyto Stal riding at Oulton a few times, aka Tony Salt.

#5 ChiliFan

ChiliFan

• 198 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 18:57

Mick Corrigan appeared in a British Supersport race in 1997 under the name "Old Slowcoach"!

#6 tonyed

tonyed

• 981 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:30

Most well known example would be Eccles Cayke - who raced a Ducati 900SS (or similar?) at Snetterton and Brands in the late-seventies/early-eighties. I think the story goes that if his parents knew of his racing exploits, they would stop financing his stint at university!

As for Brian Banglestein, (who was a topic of conversation some years ago on the forum) I remember him well. Long hippy-hair wig with headband and sunglasses (cross an Apache indian with on overwieght Ozzie Osbourne and you get somewhere near :lol:!). He used to ride an immaculate 500 Manx with a white Peel fairing. Some speculated that he was a titled aristocrat of somekind, who enjoyed leading a double life as a motorcycle racer. A search of the TT Database shows he did four MGP's in the seventies. Can anyone add more meat to the story? I for one, would love to know! 

Indeed Eccles Cayke, real name Mark Capper lived in Cambridge and 'ran' a business from the Fen Road Industrial area.

Eccles and I did a season of National Clubmans rounds together in the 70s when he had the Ducati. His wife Star Capper had a long term friend from her school days who I met through Star and we have been married for 29 years now.

The Cappers divorced and Eccles now operates out of Thetford, last I heard, and had turned to religion.

I also remember B T M Banglestein at the Manx. One morning practice we had both stopped at the Highlander and although quite conversational he would not remove the white Bell Star helmet. The rumour was the long hair was a wig and he was bald which obviously embarrassed him. 

In the 70s, must have been 74, 75 at the Manx there was a mysterious entry in the 350 Junior race on an Aermacchi who was not seen sans helmet but had a rather curvaceous non-male looking body. At that time the MGP was strictly male only and this rider withdrew later on in the week.

#7 mccarro2

mccarro2

• 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:02

Mat Oxley used to enter 350 production races under a pseudonym in the early 80's

"Max" something    if I remember correctly.  

#8 SMonty

SMonty

• 80 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 18:36

http://forums.autosp...cers/?p=6595733

From a post on another topic - David Bowie finishing third in a prod die race at Brands!

#9 arsey30

arsey30

• 23 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 21:00

Did Mike enter his  TT  comeback as Edgar Jessop, or is that a myth. 

#10 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 21:23

I remember that David Bowie guy, I think that was his real name.

A local lad to me who I shared transport to a few meetings with was called Michael Crawford, and his middle name happened to be Spencer!!

We opened the programme at a meeting one day and saw he had been listed by the club as Frank Spencer Crawford :)

#11 Robin127

Robin127

• 506 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 22:25

In the 70's Charlie Williams and I think Stan Woods rode in a 24hr race at Oss in Holland under assumed names, I can't for the life of me remember what they were now.  The event was quite a big one but was run by an organisation that wasn't affiliated to the FIM so they had to keep it a "secret" from the ACU so that they didn't lose their licences.

Edited by Robin127, 30 July 2014 - 22:28.

#12 Nikhil35

Nikhil35

• 1 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 06:44

I had also read somewhere about the rider “Brian Banglestein” of 60’s times, but that content was too short that I could not found much information about him there in that book. Can you share some sources for knowing about him with his stage name?

#13 greg1953

greg1953

• 430 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:39

Mat Oxley used to enter 350 production races under a pseudonym in the early 80's

"Max" something    if I remember correctly.  

Max Toyle

#14 Continental Circus

Continental Circus

• 432 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:30

Hello Guys again,

I remember Johnny Grace (Juan Manuel Garcia) who was from Gibraltar and had close connections with the Bultaco factory. He rode these Bultaco's in the early 1960's. At this time it was very political between Gibraltar and Spain(nothing changes).

I check this column daily, you guys are fantastic.

Roy :clap:

#15 PJ52

PJ52

• 34 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:14

I was tempted to use "Justin Front" , purely for publicity you understand. Never found the courage to do so.....

Excellent thread topic imo

#16 suzyfan

suzyfan

• 25 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 22:37

I believe Steve McQueen used to sometimes enter desert races under the name Harvey Mushman. :cool:

John

#17 suzyfan

suzyfan

• 25 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 22:43

Did Mike enter his  TT  comeback as Edgar Jessop, or is that a myth. 

I'm not sure that he actually entered under that name, but I think he may have used it as a code name to carry out secret communications with organisers / sponsors etc. I remember the name cropping up on a regular basis in "Motorcycle News" before the comeback was announced.

I can't be sure of this so hopefully, there will be someone here who knows the proper story.

John

#18 ERIC63

ERIC63

• 589 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:16

In the early 80's at Aintree,the commentator was Derek Vaux who I think owned the printing firm that produced the programmes.There seemed to be a running joke about printing errors,and so various riders names were deliberately either misspelt or made into anagrams.John McEntee became Joan Backentry,Ingle Redend(Nigel Dearden),Motty Snails(Tommy Snee)and Nyto Stal(Tony Salt)are ones I can remember but I'm sure there were others.In the case of Nyto,a story developed that he was an Eastern European who had climbed over the Berlin Wall in the middle of the night and escaped to the West because his life ambition was to race bikes at Aintree.I seem to remember a race preview in MCN where he was described as being a Hungarian rider.I don't know if they were in on the joke or not.I think he really came from somewhere near Warrington.

#19 ERIC63

ERIC63

• 589 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 18:30

P.S.  There was also a sidecar passenger called Eileen Out.

Advertisement

#20 tonupdave

tonupdave

• 13 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 19:48

Edgar Jessop is alive and well.....Regular column at the back of Old Bike Australasia :stoned:

#21 Kermick

Kermick

• 6 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 12:10

For some strange reason I tripped over this thread and can add a bit about Brian Banglestein.

I knew him in the 70's when I raced a 500 Velo and always found him to be a a very civil gentleman. The comments made about his wig etc. all chime with me, I normally saw him (bewigged) pop into his van, close the doors and emerge wearing his helmet!

There may be another take on his desire for anonymity which came from a friend whop knew him a lot better than I did.

Has explanation was that Brian was very successful in business but less so as a racer, and chose a pseudonym to keep his two lives apart.

I know BB always said he was a "salesman" for his occupation in the MGP programme but my theory is that he sold companies!

He once told me he owned three aeroplanes and having myself had a quarter share in a single engine plane for some years I know that is a very expensive pastime!

Also my informant claimed he knew BB's real name, but I was told this in confidence so intend to maintain that out of respect for a very pleasant guy who was a fellow rider.

I think we need an emoticon with a wig and dark glasses!

#22 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,231 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 12:37

Hi Kermick :wave:

I, along with most of the paddock, was always intrigued by Mr Banglestein! He had a lovely Manx with a white peel fairing and, as you say, was not that quick but clearly loved his racing.

One rumour was that he was titled or had a royal connection. I wonder where he is now and if he's still with us?

Whatever the truth, I'm sure there's a great story to be told! 

(By the way Kermick - are you M.W. by any chance?).

Edited by knickerbrook, 03 April 2019 - 12:40.

#23 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 21:18

I fairly recently found some info about B T M Bangelstein. I'm not going to spoil the myth but he was from Cornwall and was a successful businessman, but not royalty or in the secret service ! Sadly he left us a while ago. R.I.P. B T M B.

#24 Dor524

Dor524

• 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:22

I am the son of the man who used the alias of Brian Banglestein. Sadly he passed away in 2016 after a short illness at the good age of 80. He was indeed a fairly successful businessman from Cornwall, as mentioned in other posts. The original reason behind him using an alias and a disguise was because when he started racing he owed quite a bit of money to the bank. He was concerned that if the bank manager knew that he spent his weekend racing motorcycles that he might be considered too much of a risk and recall the loans. That said I think that he quite enjoyed being BB as it gave him a licence to be a totally different person to the clean cut business man that he was at home. Should anyone want a picture of him in his leathers and wig along side his Manx Nortons please contact me and I will email one through.
Two snippets of trivia. He used a Peel fairing, not only because of it’s Manx heritage, but also because he could not stand the wind chill on his hands. Lastly, contrary to popular rumour, he had a fine head of natural hair to the day he died.

#25 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,151 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 13:23

Condolences for your fairly recent loss, and many thanks for the excellent inside info! :up:

#26 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,231 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 16:28

Hello Dor524 :wave:

Many thanks for posting the info about your Dad. His true story is every bit as entertaining as the many myths that went around the paddocks :lol:! I shared the grid with him on several occasions in the seventies and was always struck by the immaculate presentation of his Manx Norton. Obviously a true enthusiast who loved his racing, he certainly made the world a better place!

#27 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 20:11

Thanks Dor524. Young Jamie Mitchell told me about your dad. Jamies mum , who also passed away recently knew your dad I believe,as did Ian ,Jamies dad. As a Cornishman, did he compete in hillclimbs too? Atb, Andy

#28 Dor524

Dor524

• 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 22:00

Herr Wankel
My father partook in all sorts of motor sports as a young man, hill climbs may well have been amongst them, but not one that I recollect, albeit he did enjoy trials.