Photo

Elfin Formula Junior

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 wilga1

wilga1

• 50 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:18

Is this Elfin Mk 1 an Australian Elfin as I don't recall seeing it before?

I thought the first Elfin single seaters were rear engined.

http://www.formulaju...lfin/Elfin.html

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,251 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:36

I'm sure they were...

This is a New Zealand car, probably from birth.

#3 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,666 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:16

Not a South Australian Elfin.

#4 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:33

I'm sure they were...

#5 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:37

A careful study of the front suspension etc might lead you in a much different direction.

Stu Buchanan

#6 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:40

Built by Paul Emery (of Emeryson, UK). imported to NZ by Nigel Russell (a member of this forum)

#7 wilga1

wilga1

• 50 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:26

I'm sure they were...

Ray, you lose 5 points for racing in and pressing the buzzer, but then having the wrong answer

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,251 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:07

Not so fast...

I only said 'probably' with relation to its genesis.

#9 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:06

Built by Paul Emery (of Emeryson, UK). imported to NZ by Nigel Russell (a member of this forum)

On no less an authority than the late David McKinney(in 2010), I believe it was actually designed and built by Peter Emery, younger brother of Paul. I gather it was called an Elfin, not an Emeryson, but both brothers and also their father, in earlier times, had separately built cars named Emeryson.  

Peter built a 250cc formula Emeryson a few years earlier which was also attributed to big brother Paul by some, and was the subject of an apology by 'Motor Sport' magazine in June 1959.

Paul Emery was a fairly sharp dealer, he also sold some quite ropey F1 Emeryson cars to Ecurie Nationale Belge in 1961/62, which did nothing to further cross-channel goodwill. 

Emeryson_Elfin_Mk_1_Nigel_Russell.jpg

2010 photo of the Nigel Russell car.

Stu Buchanan

#10 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:17

Stu, I believe Nigel still hosts the Emeryson website on his NZFJ site, which he was kind enough to do for me when Peter Emery lost access to the webhost service which he originally had for his own site. I had had  some long conversations with Peter E at that time and felt that the record needed to be set right as there was a lot of myth and spin around concerning Paul Emery. All is explained there.  When I organise myself I have more salient details for Nigel to post concerning the Emerys, and a couple of others, again on the basis of setting the record straight and giving credit where due, rather than necessarily where claimed. . Clarification about who was which Emery is found on the Emeryson thread. There may be more than one thread  so check it out to get the info as we covered it in some detail.

Roger Lund

#11 wilga1

wilga1

• 50 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 23:42

Thanks John. So this "Elfin" is a model name for a Emeryson race car, and not a marque by itself.

It seems the Formula Junior Historic Racing Association have it wrong on their "FJ Marques" page.

It is under Elfin when it should be under Emeryson, as for other multi model marques.

Under Elfin should be the Garrie Cooper cars.

You would expect better from the FJHRA as the experts on the formula

#12 rbm

rbm

• 336 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:00

On no less an authority than the late David McKinney(in 2010), ... I gather it was called an Elfin, not an Emeryson...

Stu Buchanan

so this suggests it was built as an Elfin (not an Emeryson) and this may well be why it is listed as such on the FJHRA website?

Richard

#13 wilga1

wilga1

• 50 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:47

so this suggests it was built as an Elfin (not an Emeryson) and this may well be why it is listed as such on the FJHRA website?

Richard

Richard, can I suggerst you please read Part 5 of the attached, and offer comment

http://www.hrscc.co.nz/emerysons.html

#14 hatrat

hatrat

• 339 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:43

The same site has some interesting articles on The Chequered Flag, Les Redmond and Gemini race cars :  http://www.hrscc.co.nz/gemini.html

Nigel Russell sold the "ELFIN FJ, Emeryson Experimental" (that is what is says on the chassis plate) a few years back and it is still in Auckland, New Zealand owned and raced by Tony Olissoff.

#15 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:46

The same site has some interesting articles on The Chequered Flag, Les Redmond and Gemini race cars :  http://www.hrscc.co.nz/gemini.html

Nigel Russell sold the "ELFIN FJ, Emeryson Experimental" [/size]

(that is what is says on the chassis plate) a few years back and it is still in Auckland, New Zealand owned and raced by Tony Olissoff.

NATG here...but, did Paul Emery (of Emeryson,UK) or someone from Emeryson,UK affix the tally plate writ with ELFIN FJ, Emeryson Experimental? or a later owner?

#16 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 775 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:09

Can't answer the above - but from A - Z Formula Cars 1945-1990.

Confusingly, 'Emeryson was used to name three distinct lines of cars................. son Peter, also made the 'Elfin' FJ car.

#17 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:30

I emailed the late David McKinney (September 2010) the picture which appears in my earlier post.

In part, his reply was : 

"Is Nigel calling his car an Emeryson now? It was built by Peter Emery, but was called an Elfin. His big brother Paul was the Emeryson man, but Peter did the Emeryson 250 discussed on TNF recently.

I didn't check that HRSCC article, but have read it before. Certain parties were trying to redress the balance between what Paul took the credit for and what Peter did....." 

The HRSCC article refers to Emeryson Experimentals Ltd as having some responsibilities with the various cars, but it would seem that Paul Emery rode roughshod over everyone involved and did pretty much as he pleased.

Stu

#18 hatrat

hatrat

• 339 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:18

Here is quote from Nigel :

"While Peters FJ are referred to as ELFIN in publications, they are in fact Emeryson's. George, Paul and Peter all built cars under the same names, sometimes in co-operation, other times individually. Despite Paul having sold the Emeryson name, Peters FJ Elfin cars were badged with the letters EE (for Emeryson Experimental,) the dash plate also reads "ELFIN FJ, Emeryson Experimental, 60 Pitts Lane, Earley Berkshire, England."

In Part 5 of the HRSCC article there is a period photo of the Mk1 FJ car before being shipped to the US. The "EE" badge can be seen on the nose so it appears that Emeryson Experimental description was on the car from the beginning. The chassis plate currently on the car certainly looks period.

#19 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 00:38

Here is quote from Nigel :

"While Peters FJ are referred to as ELFIN in publications, they are in fact Emeryson's. George, Paul and Peter all built cars under the same names, sometimes in co-operation, other times individually. Despite Paul having sold the Emeryson name, Peters FJ Elfin cars were badged with the letters EE (for Emeryson Experimental,) the dash plate also reads "ELFIN FJ, Emeryson Experimental, 60 Pitts Lane, Earley Berkshire, England."

In Part 5 of the HRSCC article there is a period photo of the Mk1 FJ car before being shipped to the US. The "EE" badge can be seen on the nose so it appears that Emeryson Experimental description was on the car from the beginning. The chassis plate currently on the car certainly looks period.

That seems pretty damned conclusive! Perhaps we should now stop trying to rewrite history and accept that "Elfin FJ" was the model name only.

Stu

Advertisement

#20 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:46

The following is from the Formula Junior listing on formula2.net:

Elfin Catalina AUS 1962 Ford 105E /Cosworth Garrie Cooper Elfin Sports Car Co Rear    

Elfin Mk 1 GB 1960 BMC A Peter Emery   Front   2 made   

Elfin Mk 2 GB 1960 Ford 105E Peter Emery   Front  1 made

So the first listed, an Australian car, was apparently rear-engined.

The Elfin Mk 1 and Mk 2, British cars, were apparently front-engined (2 Mk 1s and 1 Mk 2)

Vince H.

Edited by raceannouncer2003, 12 August 2014 - 05:48.

#21 wilga1

wilga1

• 50 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:35

The following is from the Formula Junior listing on formula2.net:

Elfin Catalina AUS 1962 Ford 105E /Cosworth Garrie Cooper Elfin Sports Car Co Rear    

Elfin Mk 1 GB 1960 BMC A Peter Emery   Front   2 made   

Elfin Mk 2 GB 1960 Ford 105E Peter Emery   Front  1 made

So the first listed, an Australian car, was apparently rear-engined.

The Elfin Mk 1 and Mk 2, British cars, were apparently front-engined (2 Mk 1s and 1 Mk 2)

Vince H.

That reference is incorrect in respect of the Australian Elfin.

The Elfin Catalina was a 1500cc car, NOT a formula junior.

The FJ car was just called Elfin Formula Junior.

As for the Emeryson there is already enough on this thread to put you in the right direction for that. 

Quoting incorect sources does not add to the thread.

#22 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,251 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:34

Actually it's the other way around...

The prototype Elfin FJr won the FJr Championship at Catalina Park in Frank Matich's hands. Elfin thereafter called the Junior the Catalina.

The 1500 was called the WR (Works Replica) 375 IIRC.

#23 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 1,656 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:42

Ah, the proverbial nest of vipers......OK, here we go....From the Blanden/Catford Elfin book page 23.

"A final word on the Formula Junior/Catalina from Garrie. 'One point that personally aggravates me is the reference to

Elfin Formula Juniors as Catalinas. The fact is that while both these cars are virtually identical and only differ in minor specifications,

the majority of these cars built were Formula Juniors.'

From my reading of Blanden/Catford, only two are mentioned.

The first: "a development of the 250 Production Formula Junior, known as the Catalina, named after Frank Matich's successful day at the new circuit, was purchased by Dunlop United Kingdom, for tyre testing for the Donald Campbell assault on the world land speed record at Lake Eyre. The car used miniature replicas of the special tyres used on the Bluebird and 15 inch diameter wheels to accept them. This Elfin was also fitted with disc brakes on the front wheels.

The Catalina, like the 250P, was fitted with pressed steel wheels and cast iron brake drums but was developed to accept engines up to 1600cc."

The other car mentioned is the "most unusual being the V-twin Vincent HRD powered Catalina of Graeme Lewis."

That means Frame 628 - Graeme Lewis Oct 1962, & Frame 6313 - Dunlop March 1963 are Catalinas.

How many others there were, is for others to say, & me to listen!!

#24 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:07

I know someone will be able to reproduce an original Elfin catalogue which will reveal all, including 275WR, 250P, 375WR etc -- and that P cars had steel wheels.

I owned chassis 628 long after they put the Hurdy Gurdy (as Dean Hosking called it) in it when it had steel wheels,replaced by John Walker with Cosworth Ford Cortina plus probably Elfin mag wheels, before its big accident but when I got it  it had a Ford Cortina-based engine and NO wheels  so I put Gemini steel wheels on. It still has steel wheels but could easily have Elfin mags. This demonstrates the silliness of defining models largely by the wheels. Then again, let's admit that the builder should always be considered right...

#25 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:27

That reference is incorrect in respect of the Australian Elfin.

The Elfin Catalina was a 1500cc car, NOT a formula junior.

The FJ car was just called Elfin Formula Junior.

As for the Emeryson there is already enough on this thread to put you in the right direction for that. 

Quoting incorect sources does not add to the thread.

Sorry…just trying to help  :well:

Vince H.

#26 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,356 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:34

Here's the prototype Conmurra Ave, South Australian Elfin Formula Junior, as driven by Arnold Glass, Andy Brown (& Granton Harrison??) and others.

Cosying up to the prototype Elfin Clubman on Conmurra Ave as it happens!

DSC0485.jpg

#27 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:29

Here's the prototype Conmurra Ave, South Australian Elfin Formula Junior, as driven by Arnold Glass, Andy Brown (& Granton Harrison??) and others.

Cosying up to the prototype Elfin Clubman on Conmurra Ave as it happens!

DSC0485.jpg

A Vobble Vagen repairer.

Old pic too, the place across the road is now empty.

#28 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,356 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:32

Took the photo on the 1st of February, next door to the old Factory.

#29 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,127 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:48

Mark's shop ?

#30 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:11

Mark's shop ?

That is next door. The building reflected in the window, formerly a wholesale of crash repair supplys. 

It has been empty for several months and they had taken all the signs down.

Maybe someone else in there now. 

I live about 3 streets away but probably have not been down that street for several weeks!

For those that do not know Volkrepair is next door to the old Elfin shop, and across the road from that was Ellis Wire Works.[Trevor Ellis]  Both Elfin and The Ellis site are now a crash shop. All 3 buildings including the old Motor traders site on the corner of South Rd are owned by one bloke.

#31 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,356 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:19

Yep, Mark's shop, Mark's Junior and his expanded his shop premises down the Avenue in the opposite direction / away from South Rd & South Road Crash Repairs (ie the old Elfin Works).

#32 MarkBisset

MarkBisset

• 902 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 00:50

Article on the FJ and ANF1.5 Elfin 'Catalina'

https://primotipo.co...250-275-375-wr/

M

#33 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,623 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:34

Just finished reading it Mark - another cracking article, as always. How you tracked down Reg Dalwood I'll never know ...... you'll be onto David Brill next (another Tassy photographer - and multi award winning Vietnam War cinematographer to boot - from the 60's era). The article stirred up long dormant memories from the 60's. Pretty sure actor Gary Gray drove an Elfin Catalina (well, a stand in did at least and Gary hopped out at the end of the race as the winner) in an motorsport oriented episode of The Ten Again TV show (ABC TV) in what must have been the mid 60's, maybe 64 or 65. It was at a country circuit, probably Winton I'd imagine. Anyone else remember this?

I'll try and post some Catalina shots from Tassy racing next week.

Edited by ellrosso, 13 April 2019 - 06:28.

#34 MarkBisset

MarkBisset

• 902 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:54

Thanks Lindsay,
Not aware of that TV show footage- in terms of the old Tassie stuff there is ORP and the HRCCTas- plenty of gems there most of the time in both places...
M

#35 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,623 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 20:08

Few Elfin Catalina shots from Tassy racing including the "Shark nose" 1100cc car which David Hallam bought to the state in 1965.994-H-Arch-66-lo.jpg1022-H-Elf-67-lo.jpg1024-H-Grid-67-lo.jpg1134-H-Elf-68-lo.jpg1148-H-Elf-68-lo.jpg1608-H-Grid-70-lo.jpg3883-K-JMac-65-lo.jpg

#36 MarkBisset

MarkBisset

• 902 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:09

They are such beautiful and effective little racing cars aren't they Lindsay! Yerv created more work for me my friend! I'll retro fit a few of these into the article in the next few days if I may. Does the ex-Archer car get the occasional,outing by the family? Mark

#37 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,251 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:39

It's interesting that both the 'Catalina' and the Rennmax of the same era were based on the Lotus principles of the 18 and 20...

Yet, while Garrie stuck with the driveshaft as a suspension member, Bob Britton rejected that idea and used a top link despite the complication of having to put a sliding joint in the driveshaft.

Which meant he had to alter the pattern he'd had made of the Lotus 20 uprights.

#38 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 23:15

Few Elfin Catalina shots from Tassy racing including the "Shark nose" 1100cc car which David Hallam bought to the state in 1965.994-H-Arch-66-lo.jpg1022-H-Elf-67-lo.jpg1024-H-Grid-67-lo.jpg1134-H-Elf-68-lo.jpg1148-H-Elf-68-lo.jpg1608-H-Grid-70-lo.jpg3883-K-JMac-65-lo.jpg

Elfin Corona?

#39 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 23:22

Mark's shop ?

Mark Poole Motorsport. I thing the Volkrepair label has been abandoned. Though still a few in the place but more Porkers of different breeds

Advertisement

#40 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,251 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:48

Yes, Lee, some didn't just stick to Cortina engines...

And maybe they had ties with a Toymotor dealer?

#41 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,623 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:28

David Yeomans actually had a white Toyota Corona as his tow car too. He was John McCormack's mechanic apparently. He was about 6' 2" or 3" so tended to stick out into the airstream. Roll bar was a bit short too...

#42 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 01:31

Yes, Lee, some didn't just stick to Cortina engines...

And maybe they had ties with a Toymotor dealer?

My reference was to the car, Elfin cars all had models, eg Elfin Mono, MR6 etc. Never mentioned the engine. Except for McCormack with ML6 which evidently Garrie never liked!

As for the Corona?  An unusual choice as just another pushrod iron engine.

#43 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,623 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 10:50

I reckon it would have been a motor he picked up very cheaply, maybe from wreckers, and he probably figured it would be reliable as he owned one himself. He was only young, looked pretty freshly married, his wife always came with him to the races, and 

he was pretty obviously doing it on a shoestring. If he was McCormack's mechanic he would have had access to all his contacts on the NW Coast and would have been able to do a lot for very little money. All guesswork and observations in the pits on my part though - if Bob Wright was still alive I could email him and he would give me the whole story! NW Coast was a very tight motorsport community.

#44 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,251 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 11:32

I guess the correct designation for the car would be:

Elfin 375WR Toyota (or Corona)

The '375' is for the nominal capacity of each cylinder on a 1500 car, the 'WR' stands for 'Works Replica'.

It was not unusual at all for cars to be entered without that designation, but to be listed as 'Elfin Ford' or 'Elfin Peugeot' and so on, so why not 'Elfin Corona'?

That would be a 2R engine, I guess, Toyota Tiara as well as Corona, 1500cc. The 12R was a 1600.

#45 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,623 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:34

More Catalina shots.5958-V-Tighe-63-lo.jpg10322-O-No24-68-lo.jpg

#46 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,251 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:33

My, that one looks like it's just had a nice birthday...

New wheels, fresh paint and polish, it does look good.

#47 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 15:59

OT a bit so. please indulge me as it is another small single seater...
I have heard that the little Eagle Imp has changed hands. I would welcome being put in touch with the new owner as I would like to see shots of the chassis etc body-off as part of a tangent item with my own research project.
Many thanks, optimistically as ever
Roger Lund

Edited by bradbury west, 24 April 2019 - 16:00.

#48 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 20:59

The Elfin "Catalina" shown at Calder driven by Mike Fenwick 1967 is Chassis 626, entered in Regularity at this weekend's Mallala meeting, with me driving

#49 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 22:17

More Catalina shots.5958-V-Tighe-63-lo.jpg10322-O-No24-68-lo.jpg

The Caversham shot shows the drivers helmet being pulled up by the wind,, plus the rollbar is way too short anyway.

#50 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,623 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:55

David Hallam's shark-nose Catalina 1100cc at Longford in 1965. Lyn Archer in what would have been one of his last races before retiring, Bask 1976 (he bought the car back after selling it to Peter Waters in 1969 - his son still has the car.5283-E-F1-65-lo.jpg8385-Z-LArch-76-lo.jpg