Photo

LIKE Button

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:49

We have a LIKE button option, but no DISLIKE...so people often end up making disparaging remarks because of this which can lead to arguments.

Sure you can IGNORE, but that's like taking a sledge hammer to crack a walnut :rolleyes:

Can anything be done please Sir's?

(Shirley the LIKE button could be set up to toggle?)

Advertisement

#2 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,200 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:19

We have a LIKE button option, but no DISLIKE...so people often end up making disparaging remarks because of this which can lead to arguments.

Sure you can IGNORE, but that's like taking a sledge hammer to crack a walnut :rolleyes:

Don't think we need a 'dislike' button. The 'like' button on its own is bad enough--we don't need more features to make this a popularity contest. I only ever use the thing to bookmark posts I find really funny, anyway.

#3 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:11

Don't think we need a 'dislike' button. The 'like' button on its own is bad enough--we don't need more features to make this a popularity contest. I only ever use the thing to bookmark posts I find really funny, anyway.

On the other hand if you were to remove the 'LIKE' option you would then either have to post in your support or simply not bother and most comments would simply stand alone, it is informative to know what others think.

I concur on the DISLIKE option, this is not necessary as those that disagree with any given topic are more likely to respond than those who agree, it is human nature.

#4 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,640 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:49

The reason there's a LIKE button is to give people a means of showing support/indicating agreement with a post that doesn't involve the thread being cluttered up with posts that just say 'this', '+1', 'hear, hear' :thumbsup: etc etc.

If you disagree with a point made though, there's going to be reasons for that and it's better if people share those reasons and advance a discussion rather than just indicating they think someone's comment sucks without elaboration.

#5 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,338 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 13:05

There's a good reason why a dislike button is not on Facebook either; you don't want to set up your social media service with a function which actively discourages content creation. There is also the potential for cyber-bullying if certain users are targeted for dislikes, regardless of content. If Facebook's endless pots of cash for R&D say it's a bad idea, it's not going to appear here either.

#6 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 13:50

Oh ... not about keeping Jenson in F1

#7 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 14:45

... someone's comment sucks ...

Neil

PS:  ;)   (couldn't resist)

#8 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 21:34

The reason there's a LIKE button is to give people a means of showing support/indicating agreement with a post that doesn't involve the thread being cluttered up with posts that just say 'this', '+1', 'hear, hear' :thumbsup: etc etc.

If you disagree with a point made though, there's going to be reasons for that and it's better if people share those reasons and advance a discussion rather than just indicating they think someone's comment sucks without elaboration.

Hmmmm I think I could turn just about every point you made (above) against the DISLIKE and turn it right around back at you Ms Hawkins...

I also think people may be overthinking this one.

We have a LIKE button
We don't have a DISLIKE button
Any button will not stop argument, support, praise, disagreement or derision

My point is, that atm, the LIKE button is providing a service that some LIKE to use...why not cater for the opposite?

#9 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 21:37

There's a good reason why a dislike button is not on Facebook either; you don't want to set up your social media service with a function which actively discourages content creation. There is also the potential for cyber-bullying if certain users are targeted for dislikes, regardless of content. If Facebook's endless pots of cash for R&D say it's a bad idea, it's not going to appear here either.

Thank goodness there are masses of others out there who think Farcebook is not any sort of panacea with its poor security and highly intrusive meddling in peoples lives and avoid it like the plague...

#10 aljaxon

aljaxon

• 199 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 21:55

Yes I too LIKE button

#11 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,338 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 22:21

Thank goodness there are masses of others out there who think Farcebook is not any sort of panacea with its poor security and highly intrusive meddling in peoples lives and avoid it like the plague...

Sure, but part of quenching their insatiable thirst for your information includes effortless-to-use positive reinforcement tools such as the like button. If it was terrible at what it does, nobody would be so bothered by it.

#12 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,723 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 22:36

What kind of miserable shit would use a Dislike button?

#13 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 18:42

I've noticed that some posters are named first in reporting the 'like' button stakes. They may have liked a post after some other posters, but their name comes first on the list of who likes the post. Some other posters are then destined to always be one of the 'x other posters like this'. How does this poster favoritism work ?

#14 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,640 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 19:59

I've noticed that some posters are named first in reporting the 'like' button stakes. They may have liked a post after some other posters, but their name comes first on the list of who likes the post. Some other posters are then destined to always be one of the 'x other posters like this'. How does this poster favoritism work ?

That's all news to me! Weird. Are you sure?

#15 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,326 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 20:37

That's all news to me! Weird. Are you sure?

Alphabetical?

:cool:

#16 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 21:19

As an example, in the paddock club, this month's photo comp thread. From the posted entries the 'likes' are from, in order The Passenger, Option1, Gary Davies and x others like this. As an entrant I received 'like' notifications and although The Passenger is first on my list of likes, was the 5th notification I received. The Passenger is also an entrant and the likes for hers are Option1, Gary Davies, MaxScelerate and x others. I have just liked The Passengers pic and it has 'you' meaning me as the first, and so MaxScelerate's name has blended into the x others spot.

Just an observation :)

I'll now have to like everyone else's pics so there isn't any favoritism shown :D

#17 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,640 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 22:36

I'm on my phone so the photo thread makes things tricky but at a very quick glance, I wonder if the board software stacks the likes with the posters with the earliest registration dates first? And whether it does it in all forums. Mysterious.

#18 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,642 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:16

Alphabetical?

Hopefully. If Almighty God likes your post, you should certainly be proud to have everyone know about it.

#19 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 13:57

chdphdtifosiMacLights and 2 others like this

condor275 GTB-4 and sterling49 like this

It appears to be by how long you have been a member

Advertisement

#20 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 14:43

Damn, and I thought it was because the Like system liked me, really really liked me.  I would have liked that.

Neil

#21 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,918 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 14:45

I will never ever like you, since you have enough like to last for a liketime.

#22 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 17:20

Not being a teenager I am not used to this "like" business, particularly when, as happened this morning, I see the red thingy in the top right but clicking on it just caused it to disappear where previously it linked to some post someone had "liked".

As for "like Button", I expect I would if I had met him.

#23 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 20:20

I note that an UNLIKE button has appeared, but only to remove a previous LIKE. When I previously suggested toggle, I didn't mean at the user interface! :p I meant as an option for a quick comment on posts.

#24 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 23:29

Sounds like you like a self-liking ice cream there Option1 :p

[In political jargon, a self-licking ice cream cone is a self-perpetuating system that has no purpose other than to sustain itself. The phrase appears to have been first used in 1992, in On Self-Licking Ice Cream Cones, a paper by Pete Worden about NASA's bureaucracy]

#25 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,372 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 18:30

Mme Sophie :up:

Gonna try the following at some point:

``Will simply say that your posts sucks, without elaboration.`` :stoned:

Of course, in my case this might actually prompt sighs of relief. :cool:

#26 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 23:01

Mme Sophie :up:

Gonna try the following at some point:

``Will simply say that your posts sucks, without elaboration.`` :stoned:

Of course, in my case this might actually prompt sighs of relief. :cool:

``your posts simply sucks.`` :stoned: ...would be more preferable :p

#27 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,372 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 17:23

Possibly, but I really like Mme Sophie`s phrase. :up: :)

#28 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 18:06

Not being a teenager I am not used to this "like" business, particularly when, as happened this morning, I see the red thingy in the top right but clicking on it just caused it to disappear where previously it linked to some post someone had "liked".

As for "like Button", I expect I would if I had met him.

Happened again today - clicked on the red thingy which did not take me to whatever it was that someone "liked":

As before, the red thingy disappeared so I have no idea what that was about. What are we non-Titter non-Faecbook folk supposed to learn from this?

#29 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,640 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 19:40

Happened again today - clicked on the red thingy which did not take me to whatever it was that someone "liked":

As before, the red thingy disappeared so I have no idea what that was about. What are we non-Titter non-Faecbook folk supposed to learn from this?

I hope this screenshot helps a bit.

NklfQfM.png

Click on the little person symbol if the red notification flag didn't work. I have circled it. This will bring up your most recent notifications. Clicking on the 'post you made' portion that someone has either liked or quoted should take you right to that post. Like hopefully mine here, when I just quoted you!

#30 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 21:55

and sometimes...it is best to click on "view all notifications" to read a particular notification.  Otherwise, directly clicking on the notification just takes you to an individuals profile.

#31 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 22:54

Thank you both for trying to help, but. . .

The symbol you describe as the little person symbol (too small to see what it's supposed to be and "notifications" as its only hover-help) just gave a bright horizontal bar about 3 3/4" wide and ¼" deep with nothing in it.

Perhaps "view all notifications" would work if I knew where and how to find it to click on it.

All this is on a proper-size screen (15" x 12") so goodness know how i would cope using my laptop (emergency use only these days)

As I've said before there seems no point in a system that puts up a flag where the only outcome of clicking on which is to delete it.

Edited by Allan Lupton, 12 December 2014 - 22:55.

#32 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 00:06

I have strong feelings about these micro-opinion tools that myriad of social media has fine tuned over the years. They are, surely, extremely functional within their respective contexts, but they also has undeniable overbearing effects on people as 'social' beings. Perhaps, the Like button appears to be a scapegoat here, but I believe it is not the only culprit, but one of many which are turning our conversations into mere repetitions. Yes, it's a new phenomenon and since we are born into that, we may not recognize the effects truly, but I feel we are slowly and surely leaning towards repeting what is already said before us instead of creating original content or presenting a different angle.

Retweet or reblog gives us a chance to actually curate our own feeds or personal spaces in the hope it reflects our own uniqueness. By repeting what we think appropriate to our unique personal existence, we in fact are only curating a virtual presence, which ultimately yields nothing but a cacaphony among the grand total of things. Creativity and subtlety have been turned into mere repetitions, either in the form of Like or Retweet. This is not a bad thing, per se, but a different culture nonetheless, which I think needs to be thoroughly analyzed and inspected. And it's highly related to Like/Dislike discussion as well.

It's a whirlpool, really. Micro-communication tools beget another, which eventually skim down all sorts of elaborate communications between people. I've seen many times that Like feature on Facebook has been facilitated as a social lynch tool. It creates an irresistable snowball effect and all of a sudden, everybody starts to jump on the bandwagon because it gives a false sense of security among the society--being in the majority. It in turn discourages those who appears to be in the minority, who otherwise would have wanted to continue conversation. That's a short cut, at its best, and it adds too little to the communication.

This is the thing with these micro tools. What they all do are iteration and multiplication without a discernible depth. Instant satisfaction (and by extension microfame) rules our own little worlds for quite a while. These tools do nothing but encourage it. I am using Like button here in the forum and I'd probably use Dislike button as well, but I am skeptical. I do extra care not to undermine my ability to add something new to the conversation, not repeting but presenting a new angle as far as I can. So, perhaps a Dislike button might come with an obligatory option forcing the user to give an explanation why they choose to hit that button. I know it's not practical, but theoretically, it should summarize my position.

Thanks for bearing with me through that dull post.

#33 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 05:48

The symbol you describe as the little person symbol (too small to see what it's supposed to be and "notifications" as its only hover-help) just gave a bright horizontal bar about 3 3/4" wide and ¼" deep with nothing in it.
Perhaps "view all notifications" would work if I knew where and how to find it to click on it.

From time to time I get the same problem as Allan. Usually when I click on the ‘notifications’ icon the list of ‘likes’ appears, just as in SophieB’s screenshot. Occasionally, however, the list starts to open and then freezes, leaving a small white box with nothing in it, just as Allan describes. There is then nothing further I can do, as the ‘View All Notifications’ and ‘post you made’ links haven’t appeared.

My ‘solution’ is to go away, do something else on the computer and come back later, when the system usually then works OK. This is presumably no good for Allan if the system never works for him.

#34 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,640 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 06:05

Thank you both for trying to help, but. . .
All this is on a proper-size screen (15" x 12") so goodness know how i would cope using my laptop (emergency use only these days)

As I've said before there seems no point in a system that puts up a flag where the only outcome of clicking on which is to delete it.

From time to time I get the same problem as Allan. Usually when I click on the ‘notifications’ icon the list of ‘likes’ appears, just as in SophieB’s screenshot. Occasionally, however, the list starts to open and then freezes, leaving a small white box with nothing in it, just as Allan describes. There is then nothing further I can do, as the ‘View All Notifications’ and ‘post you made’ links haven’t appeared.

My ‘solution’ is to go away, do something else on the computer and come back later, when the system usually then works OK. This is presumably no good for Allan if the system never works for him.

I had this happen to me a while back and it was caused by the board software not recognising a character in a poster's username. Deleting the 'like' or 'quoted by' from that person cleared the issue. So, how to delete notifications?

Go to My Settings, then  My Notifications:

oKZYdFd.png?1

Look for any unusual user names. (The one that was causing my issue had an odd little square in it, for example. I presume an earlier version of the software could recognise it, but this one cannot.) Delete the notification. (This does not delete your actual 'like'). You can delete a notification by clicking the box to the right of it, then selecting 'delete' from the bottom of the page, like so:

okPcJCz.png

Hope this helps!

#35 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:30

Thank you SophieB!

By George she's got it!

Many years ago there was a thread on René Thomas Steering Wheels and for some reason a post I'd made in that thread in October 2009 was "liked" by someone in November this year. All quite unremarkable until you find the "é" in the thread's title was beyond the software to cope with so it was replaced by the dreaded "�" - but "é" was correct in the text of the OP.

I deleted the notification and now clicking on the invisible man symbol gives a list of notifications

It's traps like this one that leave those of us who don't have to be here, wondering if we will ever see a single benefit from the 2013 downgrade amongst all these sillies.

Anyway what would we do without such folk as SophieB to help?

#36 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 17:20

Speaking of which:

Facebook thinking about 'dislike' function - Zuckerberg

http://www.bbc.com/n...nology-30447565

#37 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 21:36

I would like a dislike button here on the boards too. Any chance sophie?

#38 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,326 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 21:59

I would like a dislike button here on the boards too. Any chance sophie?

It would be as void of purpose as the like button.

:cool:

#39 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,642 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 15:54

It would be as void of purpose as the like button.

If the like button has prevented just one instance of a lengthy, pic filled post being quoted in full just for someone to do a thumbs up smiley then it's been worth it.