Photo

Derek Minter

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jcdeleted

jcdeleted

• 40 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 21:36

Just heard that "The Mint" has died, albeit at a good age. An absolute legend. Respected by Miike Hailwood. It can't get much better than that. Condolences to family and frtiends, but please be proud.

Advertisement

#2 suzyfan

suzyfan

• 25 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 19:37

A real top rider in his day. I came along just too late to see him race live but have heard many recollections of what a top rider he was.

RIP Derek.

John

#3 drumwrecker

drumwrecker

• 55 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 22:24

My favourite rider of all time.

Loved his style and determination.

Watched him many times from my marshals post at Druids, Brands Hatch

A memento . Google search for Minter Redman Oulton .  Something is stopping me pasting the link here.

Edited by drumwrecker, 09 January 2015 - 22:25.

#4 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 23:35

#5 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:10

On Facebook, Derek's children have created a memorial page entitled 'Derek Minter - "The Mint". Terrific images and memories on there. Derek lost his wife last year and he had been in ill heath for some time. A great great rider and my first hero of my youth.

#6 billlawrence

billlawrence

• 165 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:40

Yes he was one of the very best could well have been a world champion but preferred to stay and race in the UK I remember he used to say he could win 150 pounds at Brands Hatch on a Sunday ( average wage then around 12 pounds ) and be home in his own bed that night and not sleeping in a van in Europe who can blame him ? .It was great to see him win the TT and see the works team off maybe it cost him a works ride with Honda .RIP The Mint the one and only King of Brands     Bill Lawrence

#7 Jim77

Jim77

• 120 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:51

While up in north London area decided to visit Bill Crosby “London Motorcycle Museum” at Ravenor Farm, Greenford; had a pleasant surprise to find that Bill now has Derek’s vast collection of trophies on display. To find out more: -

http://www.london-mo...rek-minter.html

#8 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 16:35

While up in north London area decided to visit Bill Crosby “London Motorcycle Museum” at Ravenor Farm, Greenford; had a pleasant surprise to find that Bill now has Derek’s vast collection of trophies on display. To find out more: -

http://www.london-mo...rek-minter.html

Must get myself over there.  It's good that the collection has been kept together.  I know that I read something about the circumstances of how the collection ended up in Greenford of all places (not a million miles from where I partly grew up) but its now escaped me.  Presumably the family sold them?  Jim Redman's a Greenford boy - bit of an irony I suppose.  And I wonder what Derek would say about being considered a Londoner? 

Edited by Russell Burrows, 19 July 2017 - 16:42.