Photo
- - - - -

A re-think of the enigne and pre-season test format?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Montie

Montie

• 1,842 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:23

Just a thought, should the FIA/FOM re-think the pre-season test format, allowing for more testing? In my opinion the fans and viewers would be better of, if the teams were to test more and be better prepared for the season opener. Only eleven cars finishing the first race, many reliability issues and AMG Mercedes is dominant already... I reckon Mercedes is pretty difficult to beat without teams testing and developing more in pre-season.

Also teams started saving the engines already on the first Friday of the season. I mean, think about the fans paying to see these cars run.

Just a thought.

Advertisement

#2 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 4,208 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:30

No. If the FIA is serious about getting more cars then it needs to do something about costs. 

A good way of heading off testing costs in season would be to extend the token systems as it's applied to engines to the rest of the car. If you can only make so many upgrades per year then the incentive to relentlessly develop new parts changes - you have to be more methodical and strategic. 

Lower costs, more teams. Simple. 

#3 micktosin

micktosin

• 1,034 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:51

No. If the FIA is serious about getting more cars then it needs to do something about costs. 

A good way of heading off testing costs in season would be to extend the token systems as it's applied to engines to the rest of the car. If you can only make so many upgrades per year then the incentive to relentlessly develop new parts changes - you have to be more methodical and strategic. 

Lower costs, more teams. Simple

The whole F1 saga is a mess, how can the FIA continue to pocket around half of the total revenue when they barely spend anything to fund the race events and operations, while the teams are funding most of the logistics costs? I know the team are smart and all, but how they haven't be able to unite to demand more is amazing. The whole situation reminds me of La liga, with Real & Barcelona negotiating their own revenue while the whole league suffers as a result, thus creating a financial gap to the premier league. Until Ferrari and Red-bull (Maybe Merc) start thinking about the whole teams rather than selfishly, then nothing will change. I firmly believe FIA shouldn't be getting more than 25%, of which if you think about it will help the lower teams a lot.   

#4 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,005 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:56

Why should Force India, Manor, and Lotus get the same amount as McLaren, Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari? :down:

The top 3-4 teams are worth more to F1 than the lower 3-4 teams.

But I will agree with that FOM is bleeding F1 dry by taking over 50% of the revenue...

Maybe all the teams should get £x from FOM plus a bonus pay out for each year they have been in the sport and for each point scored?

Couldn't they test on a Thursday if they are already there set(ting) up?

Edited by GrumpyYoungMan, 15 March 2015 - 10:14.

#5 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,999 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:06

We've had a lot fewer cars see the finish-line when we had unlimited testing. That is not the issue.

Money-issue is in another thread afaik.