* * * * - 3 votes

SF15-T - Ferrari's 2015 F1 Challenger

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3971 replies to this topic

#51 tmekt

tmekt

• 1,245 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 15:56

Translation takes some time (5 minutes!). Meanwhile those who understand the language can read the quotes.
Anyway, back on topic, Marchionne has also said that not only Newey but Brown are close cases and that they believe in the people already working there. The crash tests have been passed and they will be able to make changes in the PU throughout the season.

Sounds too good to be true to be honest.

Advertisement

#52 Exb

Exb

• 3,959 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 16:49

Sounds too good to be true to be honest.

Yeah - the latest Autosport article does not paint such a positive picture:
http://www.autosport...t.php/id/117212

Ferrari's new bosses say there will be no quick fixes for the Formula 1 team, as it bids to recover from a dire 2014 season.
"Ferrari can probably get to the same place by the end of 2016."

"The people we have are good guys and there will be no great surprises now [in terms of poaching from other teams]," he added.

Ferrari has led calls to relax F1's engine freeze in its bid to close the gap to the dominant Mercedes power unit, but the team has not yet been able to secure a relaxation in regulations that prevent mid-season engine upgrades.

"No change has been secured," Marchionne admitted.

#53 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 10,550 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 17:46

#F1 Marchionne: #Ferrari'll enter 2015 season with big delay as they spent too many resources on 2014 issues. Confirms arrival of Jock Clear

So rumours that the early aero model was behind in aero figures was true.

Why didn't they apply the Brawn recipe?:

If you know you're going to suck for the rest of the year, stop developing the 2014 car early and put all your resources into the 2015 car (provided you know where to improve).

Once you've caught up to the front, you can regain your normal schedule of developing for most of the year.

#54 quasi C

quasi C

• 2,110 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 18:01

Marchionne confirms no more 'big' arrivals after Clear. Forget Newey, Bell, Brawn etc. So we have:

Fry->Clear

Tombazis->Resta

Marmorini->Binotto

I wonder if Bigois is still there running the aero department.

Timstr: yes this is what Marchionne said he would've done had he been in charge at that point. I think it is the PU that is still far behind in development.

Also the new GeS HQ is nearly finished and will open in mid january. This partially explains the delay to the new PU development as some of the test benches have been out of action

http://m.sportbild.b...portMobile.html

Edited by quasi C, 22 December 2014 - 18:08.

#55 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 10,550 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 18:36

Marchionne confirms no more 'big' arrivals after Clear. Forget Newey, Bell, Brawn etc. So we have:

Fry->Clear

Tombazis->Resta

Marmorini->Binotto

I wonder if Bigois is still there running the aero department.

Timstr: yes this is what Marchionne said he would've done had he been in charge at that point. I think it is the PU that is still far behind in development.

Also the new GeS HQ is nearly finished and will open in mid january. This partially explains the delay to the new PU development as some of the test benches have been out of action

http://m.sportbild.b...portMobile.html

I see.

Marchionne says that "under the old management strategic decsions have been made which we must corrected. There fore we will start with a delay in the new season, as we have created a new development plan. "

I wonder what 'strategic decsions he's referring to.

"Unter dem alten Management wurden strategische Entscheidungen getroffen, die wir korrigieren mussten. Deshalb starten wir mit Verspätung in die neue Saison, weil wir unseren Entwicklungsfahrplan neu ausgerichtet haben.  http://www.auto-moto...ng-9129822.html 

Edited by Timstr11, 22 December 2014 - 18:37.

#56 DrF

DrF

• 2,558 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 20:48

Allison's statement says a lot without saying it. It sounded like the PU and aero teams were working against each other!

It will take a while to recover from a situation like that. More than a season.

Don't expect fireworks in 2015 folks. Improvements yes, but still fighting Red Bull and McLaren for P3 after Williams and Merc lock out the grid every race.

#57 shonguiz

shonguiz

• 3,709 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 21:24

So they are late with the 2015 chassis and the 2015 engine, wtf were they doing in 2014 ?

#58 DrF

DrF

• 2,558 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 22:34

So they are late with the 2015 chassis and the 2015 engine, wtf were they doing in 2014 ?

Restructuring

#59 pusko

pusko

• 989 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 22:58

I fear that 2015 will be worse then 2014 + Alonso factor. Not looking good at all. Could be that even RB and Macca will be out of reach. Ccc...

Advertisement

#60 shonguiz

shonguiz

• 3,709 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 23:53

Restructuring

That's the TP and TD's job, not the job of the  rest of engineers.

Edited by shonguiz, 23 December 2014 - 18:26.

#61 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 3,378 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 00:51

The more I read about Ferrari, the more it mirrors 1991-1992 rather than 1996-1997.

#62 RCRC

RCRC

• 38 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:43

The more I read about Ferrari, the more it mirrors 1991-1992 rather than 1996-1997.

Interesting, I have an exact opposite observation, Finally after 4-5 years of misdirection, they seem to made swift decisive decisions in last 2-3 months. Alonso must be wondering why didn't they make these changes when I was there.

I can't predict what future holds, but I sense growth vs. stagnant performance in past few years.

Two highlight quotes:

"Speaking with my experience in even more complex situations, changing the leading roles can help a business very much," Marchionne added

"In previous positions at least 50 percent of my performance at the end of the year was assessed according to my capacity to identify and develop talents and make them grow," Arrivabene said. "This must be followed now."

http://www.racer.com...r-past-mistakes

#63 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 791 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:14

Arrivabene seems like the guy Ferrari need, a guy with a sharp head but without an inflated ego.

#64 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,342 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:49

"The regulations are a real labyrinth; they are really badly assembled - they must have been written by drunk people at a bar."

I don't think Max would have let someone in the sport say that without some consequences. He's lucky Todt is in charge, spending his entire time working on road safety and ignoring the sport for the most part.

#65 blacky

blacky

• 1,889 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:01

Arrivabene seems like the guy Ferrari need, a guy with a sharp head but without an inflated ego.

We heard the same things about Mattiacci.

Time will tell but we can say one thing: also Arrivabene has no experience inside a F1 team so I am again very sceptical.

Jock Clear the only bigger new name on the technical side, but also for him it is a big step from a perfomance engineer of a driver to Fry's position. We will see if he is an update, after the gardening leave naturally.

#66 Antonov

Antonov

• 603 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:05

will Santandar still be on the cars after Alonso's departure?

#67 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 4,203 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:43

Allison's statement says a lot without saying it. It sounded like the PU and aero teams were working against each other!

i can only imagine how the hell they managed to pull that off since they're only one of two teams from the 2014 grid that have the massive advantage and luxury of producing both the chassis and engine in-house. 

With that advantage, 2014 was supposed to be the year Ferrari make a grand recovery. Instead, they were back to 2009-like performances, only worse. I doubt in 2015 they can repeat their 2010 revival. At least now they're taking the measures of firing people and stuff, but whether they are firing the right ones and/or hiring the appropriate ones remains to be seen. 

I'm getting more and more convinced that 2015 will be worse than 2014 for Ferrari. Which would truly be a shocker. 

#68 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:00

will Santandar still be on the cars after Alonso's departure?

Santander is not Alonso's sponsor but Ferrari's. So yes.

#69 as65p

as65p

• 22,060 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:24

Santander is not Alonso's sponsor but Ferrari's. So yes.

What? Are you telling me Alonso does not own Santander? :eek: :mad:

;)

#70 loki0420

loki0420

• 944 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:43

I fear that 2015 will be worse then 2014 + Alonso factor. Not looking good at all. Could be that even RB and Macca will be out of reach. Ccc...

I think it's almost certain. They just started the restructuring process that McLaren has been working on the whole year + no big names were signed and few others were pushed. I can't see 2015 as anything positive for Ferrari apart from it being the start of maybe somehting good.

#71 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 2,767 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:19

Retweeted Lorenzo De Luca (@LorenzoDL83):

‪#‎Arrivabene‬ "New ‪#‎Ferrari‬ car to be shown on the web at the end of January"

#72 Brazzers

Brazzers

• 1,366 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 14:58

Retweeted Lorenzo De Luca (@LorenzoDL83):

‪#‎Arrivabene‬ "New ‪#‎Ferrari‬ car to be shown on the web at the end of January"

Do they have enough people to run the web stream or roll the car out? 

Hope they aren't fired. 

#73 WAJ

WAJ

• 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 17:53

16089016705_fe44d9ef4d_c.jpg

Christmas humour ! :rotfl:

#74 Abbey

Abbey

• 8 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 21:33

Ferrari have their first win. Off track that is.
Looks like there has been an extension to the engine freeze for 2015. It's been pushed out from Feb to June/July I think.

This was pushed by Bernie and Arrivabene very hard. So expect Ferrari to start slowly and then bring on the speed through the season stuff gets settled in the new GS facility which they are moving into now.

happy news for us I hope the car is good.

#75 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,407 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 22:15

OmniCorse reports the 2015 car will continue with the front pull rod suspension.

http://www.omnicorse...-corso-del-2015

#76 DrF

DrF

• 2,558 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 22:44

OmniCorse reports the 2015 car will continue with the front pull rod suspension.

Evolution not revolution.

#77 kosmos

kosmos

• 10,831 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 04:34

I will like to read the opinion of Kimi fans about this, many of them told us that pull rod was poison for Kimi and Allison will fix that for 2015. I guess it was not Alonso who requested pull rod after all.

#78 blacky

blacky

• 1,889 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:50

RAI, ALO, team, noone has ever said that the pull rod suspension is a problem. Just fans blamed the pull rod suspension for everything the last years. When they continue now the 4th season with it, they clearly see an advantage in the system.

#79 BJHF1

BJHF1

• 1,750 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 15:50

Well as many of you know, it was the easy way to blame the pull rod for Kimi's struggles last season   ;)

Advertisement

#80 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 03:40

Those who think Kimi can turn it around in the 666, please like this post :-)

#81 Zava

Zava

• 7,085 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 07:37

Those who think Kimi can turn it around in the 666, please like this post :-)

And don't forget to comment and subscribe!

#82 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 10,418 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 18:14

Marchionne: (...)

M: Transition year, we are delayed because of certain choices, that I don't agree with, done in 2014.

M: Newey is a close option.

A: Winning 2 Gps would be a success, winning 3 would be a triumph.

M: My experience as a manager tells me that taking the command from #1 and giving the task to #2 there's progress.

1. bold: What does this even mean, "a close option" or, as the original had it, "una opzione chiusa"?

2. bold: Really? Always? This is an extremely strange statement.

#83 DrF

DrF

• 2,558 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 22:41

I will like to read the opinion of Kimi fans about this, many of them told us that pull rod was poison for Kimi and Allison will fix that for 2015. I guess it was not Alonso who requested pull rod after all.

Maybe it's to late to change it now, with everything else such a shambles?

#84 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,407 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 23:04

We heard the same things about Mattiacci.

Time will tell but we can say one thing: also Arrivabene has no experience inside a F1 team so I am again very sceptical.

Jock Clear the only bigger new name on the technical side, but also for him it is a big step from a perfomance engineer of a driver to Fry's position. We will see if he is an update, after the gardening leave naturally.

I agree with your point about Arrivabene completely. Only time will tell.

I disagree about Jock Clear. He has a degree in Mechanical Engineering. He started his career in design engineering at Lola and moved to a position at Benetton as Head of Composite Design. In 1992 he worked at Leyton House as a Senior designer then moved to Lotus. I mean, I honestly don't know a lot about the guy but looking at his CV and seeing his past experience leads me to believe he's capable of filling Fry's role within the team. Everyone who knows him says he's super intelligent and he's been in the paddock for over 20 years. I think he's going to be a great and much needed addition to the team. :up:

Edit: "Arrivabene confirmed at a press conference today that Ferrari is "working with Mercedes" in order to secure Clear's services as soon as possible."

Hopefully the two teams can work something out and Clear doesn't have to wait an entire year before fully joining the team.

Edited by CrucialXtreme, 25 December 2014 - 23:17.

#85 NoSanityClause

NoSanityClause

• 1,383 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 00:42

1. bold: What does this even mean, "a close option" or, as the original had it, "una opzione chiusa"?

2. bold: Really? Always? This is an extremely strange statement.

"Chiusa", that is, "closed". That option is closed.

#86 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:04

Yes, that was a typo, is closed, not close.

#87 dreamer

dreamer

• 1,819 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:39

http://www.gptoday.c..._hurt_2015_car/

He said “mistakes” were made in the basic foundations of the 2015 project, which is now essentially set as the car has passed all of the mandatory FIA crash tests.

#88 blacky

blacky

• 1,889 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:40

I disagree about Jock Clear. He has a degree in Mechanical Engineering. He started his career in design engineering at Lola and moved to a position at Benetton as Head of Composite Design. In 1992 he worked at Leyton House as a Senior designer then moved to Lotus. I mean, I honestly don't know a lot about the guy but looking at his CV and seeing his past experience leads me to believe he's capable of filling Fry's role within the team. Everyone who knows him says he's super intelligent and he's been in the paddock for over 20 years. I think he's going to be a great and much needed addition to the team. :up:

I didn't want to say above that I can't imagine that he is capable of filling Fry's role, I simply don't know him very well, I only wanted to say that he steps up the career ladder with this new job and must prove that he is as good or even better than Pat Fry. Naturally I wish him all the best, but although Fry was very often criticized for a lot of (in parts unfair) things, the work of the enginners on track was very good under his leadership. No doubt.

Edited by blacky, 26 December 2014 - 08:40.

#89 RedRabbit

RedRabbit

• 259 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 12:06

He said “mistakes” were made in the basic foundations of the 2015 project, which is now essentially set as the car has passed all of the mandatory FIA crash tests.

So much for the great hope of Allison then .... :well:  As TD, the buck stops with him and he plenty of time to influence the '15 car.

All those heads fired with nobody to replace them, other than from within. One "big" name signing in Jock Clear, basically to fill Fry's role, and honestly, as far as track operations go, it wasn't a weak point in the team and now, unless they negotiate (ie, pay a ridiculous amount of money to Merc) for early release, they will again need to appoint a temporary replacement from within.

I also disagree with "mistakes" in the foundation being set. If those mistakes have been identified, it should mean that a better solution has been discovered (how else do you identify that it was wrong?) and if that's the case, FIA crash tests only need to be passed before season starts don't they? And even if they can't crash test before testing and have to run the mistake riddled, compromised chassis for testing, it must be better to do that than spend the entire year with built in flaws you can't overcome. Surely? Winter testing isn't as important as it used to be, especially being so limited and so closely spaced before a long season.

#90 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,124 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 14:14

A big WTF to that. What can uncle sweater do? LDM was at least a true Ferrari believer, uncle sweater is a pirate by offloading 2 billion in debts to Ferrari. 

Do they have enough people to run the web stream or roll the car out? 

Hope they aren't fired. 

Mercedes' plans to win the WCC/WDC by hiring everyone. Ferrari's plan is to fire everybody.

Edited by sheepgobba, 26 December 2014 - 14:21.

#91 kosmos

kosmos

• 10,831 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 16:08

I will like to know more about this "mistakes", this was Allison project, they sidelined Fry and eventually fired him, I doubt he had any influence in this car and I doubt Allison was blind or not aware of any possible big mistakes done by Tombazis until he was fired too.

#92 dreamer

dreamer

• 1,819 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 17:24

I will like to know more about this "mistakes", this was Allison project, they sidelined Fry and eventually fired him, I doubt he had any influence in this car and I doubt Allison was blind or not aware of any possible big mistakes done by Tombazis until he was fired too.

What troubles me the most is that this quote says the mistakes were made in the basic foundations of the project... 

That's what we were hearing about the F14T too...

Edited by dreamer, 26 December 2014 - 17:26.

#93 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 10,418 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 18:28

NoSanityClause, on 26 Dec 2014 - 01:42, said:

Yes, that was a typo, is closed, not close.

Thanks for the clarification!

#94 Abranet

Abranet

• 282 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 20:19

So much for the great hope of Allison then .... :well:  As TD, the buck stops with him and he plenty of time to influence the '15 car.

All those heads fired with nobody to replace them, other than from within. One "big" name signing in Jock Clear, basically to fill Fry's role, and honestly, as far as track operations go, it wasn't a weak point in the team and now, unless they negotiate (ie, pay a ridiculous amount of money to Merc) for early release, they will again need to appoint a temporary replacement from within.

I also disagree with "mistakes" in the foundation being set. If those mistakes have been identified, it should mean that a better solution has been discovered (how else do you identify that it was wrong?) and if that's the case, FIA crash tests only need to be passed before season starts don't they? And even if they can't crash test before testing and have to run the mistake riddled, compromised chassis for testing, it must be better to do that than spend the entire year with built in flaws you can't overcome. Surely? Winter testing isn't as important as it used to be, especially being so limited and so closely spaced before a long season.

Crash tests must be completed and passed before testing now. 

#95 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 4,333 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 21:06

16089016705_fe44d9ef4d_c.jpg
Christmas humour ! :rotfl:

Looks faster than the current one...

#96 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,450 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 21:37

Only hope is that James Allison gets freedom in choosing the right direction, the people/resources he wants and freedom from pressure. Putting my faith I'm Allison. Forza Ferrari.

#97 drag

drag

• 162 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 21:54

Reading what Marchionne said it seems like Montezemolo last mistake was promoting Marco Mattiacci as Scuderia team principal. Many suspected that Marco was Marchionne choice at the time.

Its clear that Luca was not prepared for the worst and after Bahrain fiasco Stefano quits and Luca rush into promoting someone inexperienced.

I dont buy into expectations that Ferrari will have even worse season next year , with the resources on disposal they cant be worse than 4th constructor. 

Edited by drag, 26 December 2014 - 21:54.

#98 Zava

Zava

• 7,085 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 21:54

Crash tests must be completed and passed before testing now. 

yup, but afaik the first tub and stuff to pass the crash test aren't homoloated now, unlike in for example 2010.

though I don't think they will introduce a "B" tub during the year, the possibility is there.

Edited by Zava, 26 December 2014 - 21:54.

#99 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 06:20

"@LorenzoDL83: #Piola "#Ferrari 666 with #RedBull nose style, pull-rod and with the #W05 lower wishbone" #Gazzetta http://t.co/lShzOAbd5T"

http://lorenzodl83.t...bull-nose-style

Advertisement

#100 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 06:41

"@LorenzoDL83: #Piola "Of the #F14T is expected to remain only the front suspension pullrod, despite both #Kimi and #Vettel needs a very precise front end""