Kimi Raikkonen vs. Sebastian Vettel 2015

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3996 replies to this topic

#1 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,315 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:03

stats.png

Not as good looking as the one kosmos was doing last year, but it's worth 20 minutes of paint time. 

Anyway, as always please be respectful to both drivers and their respective supporters. 

Edited by Cyanide, 21 April 2015 - 08:27.

Advertisement

#2 Raikkonen94

Raikkonen94

• 1,008 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:08

Good work Cyanide :up:  Let's hope for a strong season for Ferrari after a abysmal 2014. It seems this car suits both drivers as opposed to last year. Can't wait for Melbourne!

#3 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:12

well, lets hope the duo will do well and be close to each other in terms of performance :) we have already comments from Villeneuve and Coulthard, that Vettel should walk this as he is 1 second/lap faster driver than Kimi is  :rotfl: Anyway Kimi should do much better than last year (can´t be much worse) and he has been happy with the car during winter testing:

Piero Ferrari " I really believe that #Raikkonen will be very strong this year, you'll see."

Kimi to TS :

-" I hope we get the same feeling from the car, that we got during winter testing, and that we would avoid problems. That would mean we will get ok-result, but it's difficult to say what that result will be, I don´t like to predict what will happend".

Edited by Vesuvius, 12 March 2015 - 08:17.

#4 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:16

Dayum, it was supposed to be Räikkönen AND Vettel, not vs :D remember, the love is strong!

#5 dreamer

dreamer

• 1,922 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:18

When Kimi took his break from F1 I was supporting Vettel, so I'm really happy that they are team mates this year.

Let's hope for a good season and some luck this year for both.

#6 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,900 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:18

My money is on Kimi :)

#7 slattie

slattie

• 19 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:21

As a Kimi fan I can only keep my fingers crossed that he will have a good season. That is the only way he might consider staying in F1 for one more year. He has been my idol since 2001 and I'm not ready for him to leave yet...  :|

My rather one-sided and optimistic prediction is that Kimi will have a strong season and will finish 3rd in WDC. Sebastian will be 5th, not that far in points.  :p

Edited by slattie, 12 March 2015 - 08:22.

#8 dreamer

dreamer

• 1,922 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:46

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/118017

"We feel better overall as a team and I'm sure we are much more ready for this year," said Raikkonen, who finished a career-worst 12th in the drivers' standings last season.

"We are in a much stronger position. We still have work to do to get to where we want to - but that's part of the game.

"I think we have to be happy with where we are in testing and comparing where we finished last year.

"We have done a good job, but we have to wait and see if it is good enough or how far away we are."

#9 pusko

pusko

• 990 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:54

My money is on Kimi :)

Mine too. Apart from that, they will be very close...maybe the closest battle of the whole field.

#10 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,804 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:21

Alonso wouldn't have the same ability with this years car. Kimi is highly sensitive and Ferrari was basiclay around fernando. This year things will be closer, although Vettel is faster in pure speed these days, Kimi can have a very good race craft, so I expect them to make somewhere around 150-210 points. 

I just hope they don't have any conflict with each other as they are good friends, and that this thread is a civilized one respecting both drivers and their relationship. 

Edited by Taxi, 12 March 2015 - 09:21.

#11 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:25

I think Vettel will be faster over one lap and Kimi slightly behind, but will beat him few times. Over race distance Kimi will be better, he will manage his tyres and pace better than Vettel, but should be close. Car is build with Kimi´s feedback, Vettel had none to say before winter testing, but they have pretty similar driving style as both likely sharp front end and both have said to be happy with how the car handles...Kimi only was negative towards the tyres, that were hard to get to work (thus made the car behaviour change) well during cold conditions at barcelona.

Edited by Vesuvius, 12 March 2015 - 09:28.

#12 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,315 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:27

I'd be careful with all these "it'll be close" statements. The memories from last year still haunt me, especially since my prediction then was the same as it is now: a close battle. 

I'll wait for Saturday before I predict anything for the rest of the season. I'm still very worried about Kimi's hyper-sensitivity with the car and the front end. 

#13 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:30

This is one of the hardest team-mate battles to predict in terms of scenario.

But I'd say Vettel. Even if not initially, then later, in the long run. Also depends whether Raikkonen will continue beyond 2015, and how will this influence his performance late in the season if he is on his way out.

However, relatively speaking, there is a point in claims that relatively Vettel should be stronger compared to Raikkonen in qualifying trim than in race trim.

#14 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:30

I'd be careful with all these "it'll be close" statements. The memories from last year still haunt me, especially since my prediction then was the same as it is now: a close battle. 

I'll wait for Saturday before I predict anything for the rest of the season. I'm still very worried about Kimi's hyper-sensitivity with the car and the front end. 

Kimi should be ok with the car, even if it wouldn´t be excat perfect...last year it was far away from it, and they had to do compromises with setups. This year a worry is again the tyres and how he gets them to work.

but who knows, maybe Villeneuve with his 1 second/lap gap for Vettel´s advantage, is correct :)

Edited by Vesuvius, 12 March 2015 - 09:31.

#15 aramos

aramos

• 1,498 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:31

I don't really see Vettel in the same class as Alonso and I don't think Raikkonen was anywhere near his peak last year, so the 'it'll be close' for me is that they'll just likely meet in the middle. Raikkonen always gets a settle in year, of course there was no excuses for being that far off but its only normal he will improve as he settles into the team. I think we saw that towards the end of last season.

Vettel is himself coming off a pretty big defeat, so I see absolutely no reason to think that Raikkonen won't give him the run for his money, especially considering now its Kimi who is the 'senior driver' in the team.

Edited by aramos, 12 March 2015 - 09:32.

#16 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,804 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:32

kKmi will have to work that out just like he did in Brazil and Abu Dhabi. The car was horrible but he basicaly performed at Alonso's level. He has no more chances this year. 

#17 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,567 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:33

I support both of them 100%

probably my 2 favourite drivers in the same team.

#18 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:34

I support both of them 100%

probably my 2 favourite drivers in the same team.

same here :)

#19 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,804 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:34

Same here. :p

Advertisement

#20 aramos

aramos

• 1,498 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:36

Why is there all the negative focus on Kimi? Kimi had a very poor year yes, but joining a new team in an unfamiliar car and having to face Alonso isn't an easy task. Vettel had the team built around him and was still behind Ricciardo.

#21 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,804 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:38

Kimi vs Alonso is over. Alonso won. Lets move on.  

#22 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:42

Kimi vs Alonso is over. Alonso won. Lets move on.  

It is not possible to move on! Imagine if Kimi and Sebastian finish a race together in 6th and 7th. It will be soooo tempting for somebody to add - "BUT Alonso would have finished 3rd!"

#23 dreamer

dreamer

• 1,922 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:43

It is not possible to move on! Imagine if Kimi and Sebastian finish a race together in 6th and 7th. It will be soooo tempting for somebody to add - "BUT Alonso would have finished 3rd!"

Well, this person will be off topic in 2015   ;)

#24 northell

northell

• 137 posts

I think Vettel will be stonger in quali than Kimi and it will give Vettel edge over Kimi. So in the end of season 2015 Vettel will have more points.

#25 ph123

ph123

• 4 posts

I think vettel will win this one. I like both the drivers so i will be happy for whoever wins out of the two.

#26 Jvr

Jvr

• 7,598 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:45

Best of luck to the both of them and let them score a big amount of points for Ferrari!

#27 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,909 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:46

Yeah me too. I support Kimi a bit more than Vettel, but I like them both. Just hope the team does well this year. Don't really care who comes out on top.

#28 Turbo1

Turbo1

• 194 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:47

This year i have absolutely no problem if Vettel beats Kimi. He is younger and he is 4time WDC.

So it won't be because this car does not suit Kimi as well? I expect them to be evenly matched.

#29 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:49

I'm interested in seeing how long this "I love both drivers!" peachy tea party lasts.

#30 aramos

aramos

• 1,498 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:51

Look, its not an unreasonable conversation topic to feel that Alonso/Ricciardo could have extracted more from the car. Just as if Massa got a certain result it would be fairly reasonable to suggest that Alonso could have done better in that machinery.

But hopefully we don't go down that rabbit hole every race. There have always been a few very special drivers in F1 that you generally get the feeling they could get more, when Damon Hill won the championship in 1996 no doubt a few people thought "What could Ayrton do", but I really don't want to see this topic become about he who shall not be named (Alonso) every race.

Edited by aramos, 12 March 2015 - 09:52.

#31 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:52

I'm interested in seeing how long this "I love both drivers!" peachy tea party lasts.

Has there been a team-mate battle, where there is such a significant crossover in fanbases?

#32 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:06

I liked both Häkkinen,Coulthard,Frentzen&Hill,Vettel and Webber,Kimi &Massa without any problems, ,and I like Bottas&Massa so wont be having issues now either.

#33 DrF

DrF

• 2,581 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:08

When Kimi took his break from F1 I was supporting Vettel, so I'm really happy that they are team mates this year.
Let's hope for a good season and some luck this year for both.

Same here. I'm looking forward to these friends working together to maximise the WCC not trying to beat each other.

Also looking forward to a friendly and supportive atmosphere in this thread this year.

#34 Avastrol

Avastrol

• 445 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:10

How did the forum deal with the ghost of Schumacher back in 07? The one where in races the duo finished 1/2 or 2/3, the Schumacher who would have lapped the entire field?

#35 DrF

DrF

• 2,581 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:10

Look, its not an unreasonable conversation topic to feel that Alonso/Ricciardo could have extracted more from the car. Just as if Massa got a certain result it would be fairly reasonable to suggest that Alonso could have done better in that machinery.

But hopefully we don't go down that rabbit hole every race. There have always been a few very special drivers in F1 that you generally get the feeling they could get more, when Damon Hill won the championship in 1996 no doubt a few people thought "What could Ayrton do", but I really don't want to see this topic become about he who shall not be named (Alonso) every race.

I sincerely hope that the names of previous team mates get left out of this thread and that anyone bringing them up gets ignored and reported, not quoted and argued with...

#36 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:17

So it won't be because this car does not suit Kimi as well? I expect them to be evenly matched.

No. Because we know already the car suits Kimi much better this year, and if he loses its because Vettel is a better driver.

#37 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:20

I'm not sure how it will go as we have two drivers who have both shown sensitivity to characteristics in the car. From that respect, it's difficult to predict, although I don't think that's going to stop 2015 being used as some kind of "proof" for Vettel and Raikkonen's past seasons.

#38 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,701 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:21

Posts removed about Alonso. Stop it, please.

#39 aramos

aramos

• 1,498 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:26

Posts removed about Alonso. Stop it, please.

Might be best to make a place this this can be disscssed. Avoid it derailing this thread.

Advertisement

#40 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:26

Vettel is propably closer to his peak as a driver, but last year, without the blown diffusers of the past, he looked 'ordinary' for the first time. So not only is there a question of the car suiting Räikkönen better this time around, there's a question of whether Vettel has now better adapted to the driving style that's required by the current regulations.

I hope they can both perform at their highest level. Vettel needs to get his confidence back and Räikkönen deserves to have one more great season before retiring.

#41 ToxicEnviroment

ToxicEnviroment

• 141 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:41

Kimi will wipe the floor with 4 time whatever. Just as he did with much hyped Monty

#42 Jvr

Jvr

• 7,598 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:41

Vettel is propably closer to his peak as a driver, but last year, without the blown diffusers of the past, he looked 'ordinary' for the first time. So not only is there a question of the car suiting Räikkönen better this time around, there's a question of whether Vettel has now better adapted to the driving style that's required by the current regulations.

I hope they can both perform at their highest level. Vettel needs to get his confidence back and Räikkönen deserves to have one more great season before retiring.

And most of all, Ferrari need to find a way to develop the car over the season faster than the competition. I believe that these two drivers provide a good starting point to that as far as driver feedback is concerned. Then it is up to Allison and the rest of the team to - borrow McLaren semantics - "unleash the potential of F15T...

Edited by Jvr, 12 March 2015 - 10:43.

#43 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:44

Both where very much No 2 last year. Vettel had had everything his own way though I doubt that will happen this year.

Kimi was off the pace last year, but hated the car. He will have to be on the pace early this year or will be No 2 to Vettel.

Or have both of them lost the 'edge' with these current cars. That is more than probable.

#44 Jvr

Jvr

• 7,598 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:45

Both where very much No 2 last year. Vettel had had everything his own way though I doubt that will happen this year.

Kimi was off the pace last year, but hated the car. He will have to be on the pace early this year or will be No 2 to Vettel.

Or have both of them lost the 'edge' with these current cars. That is more than probable.

Oh I believe they both have found their mojo back again. (Just hoping I will not be proven wrong....)

#45 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:50

Räikkönen has always been fickle regarding the car characteristics so he definitely can improve if it fits him better.. With Vettel it's a bit early to tell whether he can just bounce back as last year was the first time in F1 he was having such trouble adapting.

Edited by Wander, 12 March 2015 - 10:51.

#46 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:00

The most interesting part for me will be to evaluate if Kimis age is coming into play here or can he still perform at his very best. I think second part of 2009 was Kimis peak as driver in my view. He was absolutely extraodnary with that car. Its now 5 year from his peak.

#47 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 12:00

Both drivers were embarrassed last season...  Hopefully the car is so, so fast that it will be unclear about their driving ability!

If the car is slow, say taking P8-12... oh dear... The Ferrari drama machine is likely to fire them both out of a cannon....

#48 Rhardrks

Rhardrks

• 538 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 12:05

Alonso wouldn't have the same ability with this years car. Kimi is highly sensitive and Ferrari was basiclay around fernando. This year things will be closer, although Vettel is faster in pure speed these days, Kimi can have a very good race craft, so I expect them to make somewhere around 150-210 points. 

I just hope they don't have any conflict with each other as they are good friends, and that this thread is a civilized one respecting both drivers and their relationship. 

James Allison rubbished this on the BBC F1 2015 preview. In 2014 the Ferrari was not made to suit any driver, just as it is not in 2015. Kimi and Vettel have had zero impact on the engine and aero performance of this car. They haven't got a clue compared to the phd engineers at Ferrari.

Engineers at Ferrari build the the fastest car they possibly can can using scientific methodology, not the drivers preference. He said the only input drivers have on the cars performance is their individual car setups. The qualified engineers determine the deisingn/aero./engine performance.

#49 Jacobss

Jacobss

• 188 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 12:17

As already said, this topic should be called Kimi Raikkonen AND Sebastian Vettel. :cool:

Anyway, I support them both too. When Kimi was out, I cheered for Vettel. When Kimi retires (for sure it will be much earlier than Vettel, if nothing bad happens) I will continue to support Sebastian. I just want them to cooperate and to try  take as many points from Mercedes as possible. That"s it :).

And regarding what you said Seanspeed - Yes, it will last forever for me. :clap:

For the sake of this thread,I hope Vettel will be better in this duel,otherwise we'll have bunch of Alonso's worshippers trolling here how Alonso is better driver than Vettel.

Why do you care so much about other people? Let them do what they want, it doesnt change the truth ;).

#50 andrea303

andrea303

• 404 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 12:28

If Kimi can get his quali-performance close to vintage Kimi, I'd say the Iceman finishes in front.

Otherwise he has to be just behind Vettel when the lights go off.

Ferrari has shown some glimpses of solid tyre wear and if that's really the case, Kimi has an advantage with tyre management.

The situation is very tempting since they both had a bad season last year - so there's lot of hunger. I think we have a strong pair 

of drivers here. There is a reason to be smiling (at least for now) and they're all working for a common goal so, expect Ferrari to

continue good improvement in catching up Merc and Williams.