* * * - - 10 votes

SF15-T - Ferrari's 2015 F1 Challenger. Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3866 replies to this topic

#51 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,407 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:24

James Allison: "Mercedes have a bit more horsepower and downforce. Until we have closed those gaps, it's not realistic to talk about title chances."

Love this guy!!! :up:

Advertisement

#52 Kimble

Kimble

• 1,240 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:34

Our tyre usage is going to cause Mercedes strategic headaches again. With a solid qualifying and start then there is a chance to mix it at the front.

Interesting commentary on fp2. Ferrari engineers massively impressed with Vettels feedback, incredibly precise and detailed.

#53 wift

wift

• 220 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:36

Interesting commentary on fp2. Ferrari engineers massively impressed with Vettels feedback, incredibly precise and detailed.

Was this heard on the team radio or what is the source?

Edited by wift, 10 April 2015 - 09:36.

#54 Kimble

Kimble

• 1,240 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:39

I was listening on the official app which I believe used the BBC Radio 5 Live feed. They spoke with Esteban Guittierez and then mentioned engineers feedback. Also spoke to Webber about it and he said something like 'he's a nail' which I took to mean 'bang on'.

#55 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 20,581 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:46

Vettel seems to be struggling a bit, so I'm not sure his long run on softs is 100% representative, but he was well off what Lewis was doing on the same tire.

If the Kimi/Rosberg comparison is a bit closer to true picture, then it looks quite good.

Still well clear of the rest!

Edited by Seanspeed, 10 April 2015 - 09:47.

#56 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:20

Lorenzo De Luca @LorenzoDL83

#Turrini "Clear will not work with #Ferrari until 2016"

Wow that is really long.

However there is nothing to stop him communicating ideas etc to Ferrari via phone, internet etc is there?

#57 Kimble

Kimble

• 1,240 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 13:43

The Jock Clear delay shows how much Mercedes now view Ferrari as a threat. if it's really gardening leave then Clear is still under contract and working for Mercedes so could get in a lot of trouble leaking information. There is a possibility of it being part of a non-compete period clause but they are legally dubious now and always have to compensated well.

Either way, Merc are happy to be paying top money to have someone not work for a competitor.

#58 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 1,895 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 14:05

Anyone know what is the current state of the Ferrari wind tunnel? I recall the team admitting that it was not up to the standard of the other teams a few years ago, and the fact that it was inclined as a specific that made it tougher to properly correlate. Have they constructed a new tunnel, or modified their current one in any way? I also remember that they used Toyota's wind tunnel a few years ago, are they still doing that? 

#59 Jvr

Jvr

• 6,453 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 14:33

Anyone know what is the current state of the Ferrari wind tunnel? I recall the team admitting that it was not up to the standard of the other teams a few years ago, and the fact that it was inclined as a specific that made it tougher to properly correlate. Have they constructed a new tunnel, or modified their current one in any way? I also remember that they used Toyota's wind tunnel a few years ago, are they still doing that? 

It was reopened in September 2013

http://www.autoblog....8-month-refurb/

Advertisement

#60 ScuderiaSV1

ScuderiaSV1

• 145 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 14:38

Does anyone think Ferrari will gamble with a 1-stop for Kimster? He was still in the 1:43's on medium tyres that had to be about 30 laps old by the end of his long run (live timing wasn't accurate, said most of his long run was on softs).

Has anyone seen calculations with an extra pit stop and if Ferrari may gamble with this startegy?

#61 Jvr

Jvr

• 6,453 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 14:44

Does anyone think Ferrari will gamble with a 1-stop for Kimster? He was still in the 1:43's on medium tyres that had to be about 30 laps old by the end of his long run (live timing wasn't accurate, said most of his long run was on softs).

Has anyone seen calculations with an extra pit stop and if Ferrari may gamble with this startegy?

I'm rather sceptical with the one stopper. However, I see an opportunity to run two stints on softs and one on mediums instead of last year winning strategy of starting on softs followed by two stints on mediums. And I would initially plan to start on softs, second stint on mediums and make the final decision on the last stint tyre selection later in the race.

#62 skc

skc

• 1,748 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 14:53

Well, it would be a PR disaster to put the drivers on different strategies at the risk of Kimi coming off second best  :well:

#63 Zava

Zava

• 7,085 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 14:54

hopefully not! better degradation doesn't only mean doing less stops, it can also mean wider pit stop windows - much more variable strategy, huge undercuts which the opponents being more marginal on tyres can't mirror, stuff like that. 

a practical example would be: staying close to the mecs then stopping 5 laps before the optimal lap count for the second stop, and still making the tyres last till the end. then let mercedes decide if they wan't to concede the undercut or want to struggle with the tyres at the end.  ;)

downside for this could be traffic, if you don't have an empty space to fall back to, then it is not good. then again, you can still go as long on the stops (or longer), and go for the softs/use the mediums like a madman on the last stint...

#64 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 20,581 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 15:13

Well, it would be a PR disaster to put the drivers on different strategies at the risk of Kimi coming off second best  :well:

Not if it means the other driver wins the race. :/

#65 Kimble

Kimble

• 1,240 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 15:19

Yes, they really have flexibility now and, stating the obvious, the result of qualifying and the first ten laps will determine the route they take. If they qualify well 1-4, then they really can watch the Mercs and then react to them. The new strategy guy has a corker of a first race to work with. Lewis is going to put the hammer down immediately, that's for sure.

#66 skc

skc

• 1,748 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 15:38

Not if it means the other driver wins the race. :/

I meant more so with regards to the "vs" thread. I'm scared.  :lol:

#67 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 7,387 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 16:13

I'd like for it to be Kimi's weekend this time. He looks on it.

Car looks good but what seriously has happened to the Mercedes? They can't be this tyre limited surely can they? Not after 2013.

Edited by SCUDmissile, 10 April 2015 - 16:14.

#68 Zava

Zava

• 7,085 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 16:41

damn.  :lol:

I seem to recall a similar case with red bull, 2012 silverstone and a picture of Alonso. :D

#69 keiichi

keiichi

• 527 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 17:05

It was very interesting to watch the press conference with Allison where he said that the way he works is largely inspired by what he learned with Ross Brawn when he worked with him in the past.

So...Allison inspired by Brawn, and Vettel inspired by Schumacher. Are we in for a remake? :p

#70 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 12,148 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 17:14

I'd like for it to be Kimi's weekend this time. He looks on it.

Car looks good but what seriously has happened to the Mercedes? They can't be this tyre limited surely can they? Not after 2013.

Ferrari just has made so big step forward, lets face it...other teams are futher away from Mercedes then last year.

#71 DrF

DrF

• 2,558 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 17:38

I am beyond excited. I sincerely hope nothing goes wrong tomorrow and we see the Ferraris realise their potential tomorrow. Even if they don't make the front row they still both have the potential to make the tyres last better and overcome the power and DF deficits mentioned by Allison.

#72 Cacarella

Cacarella

• 1,010 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 18:16

I'm wondering if Ferrari would ever try getting through Q2 with Kimi on the Medium tyres.

This way, in Q3 if he qualifies 3rd or 4th with his softs, he'll start the race with the mediums and possibly 1 stop with his longish stint on the

softs with a lighter car?

Not even sure if the car has the pace, just thinking out loud.

Edited by Cacarella, 10 April 2015 - 18:16.

#73 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 10,418 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 18:31

Sorry if posted, didn't read whole thread:

Somers on Ferrari cooling

#74 MensRea

MensRea

• 211 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 18:50

I'm wondering if Ferrari would ever try getting through Q2 with Kimi on the Medium tyres.

This way, in Q3 if he qualifies 3rd or 4th with his softs, he'll start the race with the mediums and possibly 1 stop with his longish stint on the

softs with a lighter car?

Not even sure if the car has the pace, just thinking out loud.

It seems that we'd be restricting our pace a little too much with a 1 stop. I'd personally go with an aggressive 2 stop with two stints on softs , even if we don't make the first row in quali.

It appears that if Mercedes go with a 2 stops they'd be doing two stints on mediums (if they are smart they'll run a mega-aggressive-tyre-destroying 3 stopper , at least with one car) , it doesn't appear they can run the soft tire without a big drop at the end.

Having said that i think Kimi has the car dialled-in and Seb needs to add a bit more downforce because although he had a huge top speed he's struggling for grip in S2 and struggling too much to put the power down through turns 12-13 and it penalizes him on the back straight despite the top speed.

#75 Crossmax

Crossmax

• 1,334 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 18:58

I think a 2-stop is the way to go, and just try to capitalize on the superior deg compared to Mercedes. If Merc has learnt its lesson from Malaysia, they will likely 3-stop anyway.

#76 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 20,841 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 20:12

Ferrari should just mirror Malaysia. Soft-Soft-Medium. A one stop will be way too slow at the end of the stints when the Mercs are on fresh boots.

Kimi has looked faster than Vettel a lot of the time through the FPs this season, hopefully he gets a chance to prove it this weekend.

Edited by TomNokoe, 10 April 2015 - 20:13.

#77 cokata

cokata

• 1,224 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 20:44

Ferrari should just mirror Malaysia. Soft-Soft-Medium. A one stop will be way too slow at the end of the stints when the Mercs are on fresh boots.

Kimi has looked faster than Vettel a lot of the time through the FPs this season, hopefully he gets a chance to prove it this weekend.

I think that Soft-Medium-Soft is better as long as it doesn't cost you track position. I think Mercs will be forced to run Soft-Medium-Medium, and as it is predicted to get even hotter for the race maybe one of them will do a 3 stopper. 1 stop is out of the question.

#78 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,172 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 20:45

Can't see it - if we did I'd be concerned that we could see something similar happen to what happened with Kimi in 2012 when he hit the cliff, ran nto the marbles and lost about 10 places in the space of a few corners.

If one of our cars can beat a Mercedes on Sunday, it will be a massive success.

#79 DrF

DrF

• 2,558 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 20:55

I think that Soft-Medium-Soft is better as long as it doesn't cost you track position. I think Mercs will be forced to run Soft-Medium-Medium, and as it is predicted to get even hotter for the race maybe one of them will do a 3 stopper. 1 stop is out of the question.

This is the way to go. If they can get through quali on a set of mediums and 2 sets of softs and make their start tyre last a few laps longer and their mediums a few laps longer again, then they'll be on fresh softs with low fuel for the final laps while the Mercs are on older mediums, or have to pit an extra time.

Edited by DrF, 10 April 2015 - 20:57.

Advertisement

#80 AlexS

AlexS

• 4,964 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 21:02

Kimi and Vettel think there is still margin to improve regarding Friday.

http://www.gazzetta....401645138.shtml

#81 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 21:04

I love that there are so many options on Sunday to beat the Brackley boys.

#82 Eff1NZ

Eff1NZ

• 167 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 22:18

People are talking about Lewis (and even Raikonnen) qualifying on softs and starting the race on mediums. I thought that one had to start the race on the tyre one qualified on (at least for those qualifying in Q3). Or am I mistaken? Has the rule changed?

Edited by Eff1NZ, 10 April 2015 - 22:22.

#83 Kimble

Kimble

• 1,240 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 22:27

You start on the set of tyres you set your fastest Q2 time on. They switched to that rule to avoid the Q3 non-running issue if memory serves me correct.

#84 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 20,841 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 22:40

Ferrari don't have a margin of comfort on the medium over one lap to even consider it.

#85 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,407 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 23:35

Where is everyone who in the preseason slagged Ferrari and went on and on about what a bad choice the front pull rod suspension was, where are they at now? I can't be bothered to go back through and find them, but they know who they are.

It's amazing how bad the front pull rod is working eh? :lol:

#86 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,018 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 00:37

I don't think a single stop is possible.

It is either S-S-M or S-M-S or if it is too hot on sunday (by Shanghai standard), then they would be forced to go S-M-M to last the distance. 

#87 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 7,387 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 00:58

Where is everyone who in the preseason slagged Ferrari and went on and on about what a bad choice the front pull rod suspension was, where are they at now? I can't be bothered to go back through and find them, but they know who they are.

It's amazing how bad the front pull rod is working eh? :lol:

:lol: please man no more pullrod talk. Bored to death with that dragging on.

I feel what Ferrari have done more than anything is get that balance right.

There have not been many noticeable new developments on the car since Melbourne, but improvements keep coming. Whereas in past years, they would bring a new FW every race, and take it off again because it wouldn't work with the base car.

It jives with what Allison was saying about there being rarer big steps as opposed to small constant steps. I guess the tactic is, understand to a tee what you have got, then add improvements. I think he also said something along those lines.

It is working so far.  :up:

#88 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 7,946 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 05:11

The pace on the medium tyre was a surprise, closed the gap from yesterday by quite a bit. On the qualifying sims they were 7 tenths away but I'm certain there's more to come, I'd say the gap in qualifying will be around 3 and a half tenths or 4 tenths.

#89 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 20,841 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 05:13

The pace on the medium tyre was a surprise, closed the gap from yesterday by quite a bit. On the qualifying sims they were 7 tenths away but I'm certain there's more to come, I'd say the gap in qualifying will be around 3 and a half tenths or 4 tenths.

Losing all the time in the middle sector.

In think Ferrari just need to secure the second row and then work their magic. Anything else is a bonus.

#90 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,407 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 05:19

Losing all the time in the middle sector.

Jives with what Allison said yesterday, the SF-15T is down a bit on DF compared to the W06, as S2 is a good Aerodynamic test for the cars. As the drivers have stated and we all know, race pace is better than outright Quali pace so let's hope for a good Quali and then a clean start to the GP for both drivers and anything is possible.

#91 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 7,946 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 05:21

Second row is the focus anything better will be a bonus, it would be good to get one car in between the Mercs somehow like in Malaysia but either way if we start on row 2, I'm sure we'll cause the Mercedes boys some real issues during the race.

#92 hankalis

hankalis

• 471 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 05:25

Ham will in all likelyhood be P1. Ros on the other hand seems close enough to be a realistic target for Ferrari guys.
I guess P3 & P4 is their main target though

#93 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,018 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:47

Hamilton is a cinch for P1. Rosberg should be able to lock out the front row for Mercedes as he will have 2 stabs to establish a better time than the Ferrari's duo. Then the 2 Ferrari drivers.

The track temperature is currently 47C despite a rather cool 19C ambient temperature.

#94 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,407 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:05

Hamilton is a cinch for P1. Rosberg should be able to lock out the front row for Mercedes as he will have 2 stabs to establish a better time than the Ferrari's duo. Then the 2 Ferrari drivers.

The track temperature is currently 47C despite a rather cool 19C ambient temperature.

Agreed. Hopefully Seb & Kimi can lock out the 2nd row.

#95 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 11,079 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:29

Looks like Ferrari are struggling with heat up on the prime tyre. Mercedes can just go out and bang a lap.

#96 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,407 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:30

Looks like Ferrari are struggling with heat up on the prime tyre. Mercedes can just go out and bang a lap.

Seb mentioned a problem with the rears on the Prime tyre but says the issues are mostly gone on the Options.

#97 Scuferrari

Scuferrari

• 645 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:32

They should do Q2 on used softs and preserve 1 set.

EDIT: Nope, this way they start on way too old tyres.

Edited by Scuferrari, 11 April 2015 - 07:34.

#98 steferrari

steferrari

• 1,185 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:37

Good laps from both Ferraris.

#99 Scuferrari

Scuferrari

• 645 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:51

I hope they do 1 run on Q1 tyres and 1 run on new tyres. They need a new set of softs for the race.

Advertisement

#100 MoP

MoP

• 535 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:58

I hope they do 1 run on Q1 tyres and 1 run on new tyres. They need a new set of softs for the race.

Surely looks like it  :up: