denthierry

• 1,494 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:04

Mediocre? Awful!

#103 Scuferrari

Scuferrari

• 645 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:04

I fear that Mercedes have too much of an advantage in the first laps. Malaysia was better for us. I think we will keep them in sight and be close in the race but it will be hard to beat one of them.

#104 steferrari

steferrari

• 1,185 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:05

Happy with 3rd place, less happy for the 9 tenths.
Disappointed with Kimi, we should have locked the 2nd row.

#105 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 5,622 posts

Raikkonen......awful awful awful!!!

#106 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 7,946 posts

Come on Kimi, you should be doing better than that.

#107 Scuferrari

Scuferrari

• 645 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:06

Mediocre? Awful!

Yes, awful because after his mistake in sector 1, he didn't gain any time back on the Williams in the 2nd and 3rd sector. Awful 1st sector but also very mediocre 2nd and 3rd sector.

#108 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 5,622 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:08

Had his first sector been 'normal' he'd be forth.

Now, he's 6th, likely to lose more places off the grid, and more likely to get into trouble.

Running out of patience with him. He's going to get smashed by Vettel this year. Useless.

#109 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 11,079 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:10

Happy with 3rd place, less happy for the 9 tenths.
Disappointed with Kimi, we should have locked the 2nd row.

Vettel said on the team radio that he lost the rear in both turns 11 and 12. I think about 6 tenths is the gap and I'll take that especially since the track temps got cooler and cooler.

#110 K-One

K-One

• 6,231 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:11

I don't understand why would you think that. It's not situation like last year when he didn't like the car. I'm sure he can beat Vettel in qualifying.

Told you so

#111 Scuferrari

Scuferrari

• 645 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:14

Had his first sector been 'normal' he'd be forth.

Now, he's 6th, likely to lose more places off the grid, and more likely to get into trouble.

Running out of patience with him. He's going to get smashed by Vettel this year. Useless.

His 2nd and 3rd sector were not that good. Massa absolutely nailed his lap. P5 I think.

#112 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 7,946 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:14

I think what makes it more annoying is that with the race pace and tyre wear we've shown, Kimi not being right behind Seb means Mercedes just have one Ferrari potentially to worry about. If they had to think about both our cars then there'd be a chance to split the two Mercs or even for a 1-2. But I hope he rectifies this error and has a clean start and a strong race.

#113 Scuferrari

Scuferrari

• 645 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:22

We are 4 tenths slower than in Malaysia. I hope Massa doesn't get Vettel at the start. It's a weekend where everything fits for Mercedes and not so for Ferrari. I think we will be their in the race but in Malaysia our race pace was also better. We need updates (plus a better track) to shave another 2-3 tenths off.

In Malaysia we only lost in S2. Here we lose in every sector. I hope I'm proved wrong and our race pace is as good as the Mercedes with better degradation.

#114 carlb5253

carlb5253

• 711 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:25

Vettel said on the team radio that he lost the rear in both turns 11 and 12. I think about 6 tenths is the gap and I'll take that especially since the track temps got cooler and cooler.

The gap was 9 tenths

#115 Massa

Massa

• 7,481 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:26

I think tomorrow we will go for O-O-P or O-P-O while Mercedes, Williams, Red Bull will opt for O-P-P. 

So for Raikkonen, even if he is behind both Williams after the first stint it will not be a problem to overtake them. Vettel have a chance to win tomorrow.

#116 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 11,079 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:33

The gap was 9 tenths

I know... I was talking about Vettel losing time in turn 11 and 12 contributing to the gap. With a clean lap it would have been less.

#117 carlb5253

carlb5253

• 711 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:36

I know... I was talking about Vettel losing time in turn 11 and 12 contributing to the gap. With a clean lap it would have been less.

You could say the same thing about Hamiltons 2nd lap

#118 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:38

Hamilton didn't exactly nail his lap either. The gap of 9 tenths is about right I'm afraid.

#119 northell

northell

• 137 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:38

I doubt something will go wrong everytime. So this could be the right time to achieve some great result. I believe second place (in the race) is possible for him.

I hate to say i told you so but... well Kimi again cocked up his lap when it counted. For some reason he just can`t get it together in qualy.

Advertisement

#120 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 7,387 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:40

I really like how Allison speaks. I know it has been said already but he is very well-spoken and just has this calming influence that somebody who is sure of themselves.

Rosberg saying they don't want to use the soft, looks like they will run medium most of the race(?)

#121 Scuferrari

Scuferrari

• 645 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:05

Okay, if Mercedes doesn't like the soft as a race tyre then we might have a small or decent chance. The difference is around 2 seconds and it's not like the soft tyre melts down instantly.

I must say I don't want to get my hopes up. If Vettel stays within 10 seconds the whole race I'm happy because there will be much better tracks (soft + super soft...or rear-eating tracks like Bahrain)

What do you think about our performance today on the medium tyre? Yesterday in the race simulation the pace was good on that tyre but today they seemed to have problems.

Is it just first lap related (warm up) ? Tomorrow it should be warmer am I right (2-3 ° C air and 5-10 ° C on track) ?

#122 Exumer

Exumer

• 247 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:11

Despite Kimi performance, I'm looking forward to the race. I hope that Seb will be able to stay close enough to Mercs and put some pressure on them. Also, seems like Mercs have a bigger drop off in terms of tyre performance so there is a chance. Having said that I don't think that we can win, but it would be awesome if we can finish 2nd. I think that Nico will more likely cracks under pressure than Lewis. And Kimi should be good in terms of race pace. Anyway, as it was rightly mentioned earlier it is nice that we have these discussions this year, at least there is a hope! Forza Ferrari! Forza Kimi and Seb! 

#123 f1RacingForever

f1RacingForever

• 1,384 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:27

If Massa could get ahead of both Mercs at the start, it would help tremendously. The team could try for the undercut at the first pit stop. At the very least, it would keep the mercs from running away which would be of benefit later in the race.

#124 Exumer

Exumer

• 247 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:33

The question is can Ferrari make Option tyre last longer without significant drop off in terms of performance. If so, we have a chance but I believe that win is out of reach. 

Kimi needs to have a good start and that would be difficult. Not only Williams are ahead but Ricciardo is right behind. But he was out of Q3 two weeks ago, so there is a progress :)

#125 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:42

Hamilton lost time on his 2nd run as well and the gap could have been larger.

#126 sniper80

sniper80

• 918 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:44

It's always something with Raikkonen. I'm a Kimi fan, but god, he's always messing up something. And if it's not him, it's the team... What will happen tomorrow, another hit by Nasr?

#127 steferrari

steferrari

• 1,185 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:46

How's the difference between clean and dirty side here?

Hopefully Seb can have a chance to pass Rosberg at the start.

#128 Exumer

Exumer

• 247 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:51

How's the difference between clean and dirty side here?

Hopefully Seb can have a chance to pass Rosberg at the start.

that's the one, if he does that then we can aim for 2nd!

#129 Claudiu

Claudiu

• 1,970 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 11:32

Why so many but hurted people around here ? We are more or less where we should be compared with Mercedes during quali and this is not gonna change until we start putting some serious updates on the car and come with engine improvements.

Also our race pace should be much better ... all in all I am glad with Vettel ... not so glad with Raikkonen but what can you do.

Let's see what happens in the race tomorrow.

#130 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 20,581 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 11:52

I think what makes it more annoying is that with the race pace and tyre wear we've shown, Kimi not being right behind Seb means Mercedes just have one Ferrari potentially to worry about. If they had to think about both our cars then there'd be a chance to split the two Mercs or even for a 1-2. But I hope he rectifies this error and has a clean start and a strong race.

Exactly. I don't know about a 1-2 specifically, but at the very least, having both Ferrari's up there from the beginning would provide an extra headache for the Mercedes strategists.

*And* it also means the Williams have a better shot at clearing Vettel by the 1st corner, putting a proper damper on any hopes of fighting Mercedes.

Disappointing. I mean, the pace is there, and I think Kimi should at least still be on for 4th fairly comfortably, so it's not the end of the world, but if they want to take it to Mercedes, they really need all the help they can get.

#131 Scuferrari

Scuferrari

• 645 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 12:55

Massa starts great from anywhere. Let's hope Vettel shows the 1st good start of his season. The only good start from a Ferrari this year has been Kimi in Australia (good, not great).

#132 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 13:20

Overall i think Ferrari cant be happy with today. Williams somehow came way to close for comfort and Merc was in the stratosphere today for Ferrari. Today we saw first small indication that Malaysia was down to heat, lets ses how in plays tomorow. I will be happy if Seb can at least mount a decent challenge for the win.

#133 quasi C

quasi C

• 2,110 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 14:22

Merc have brought a new front wing here, anything new on the Ferrari since Aus?

#134 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,099 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 14:25

It will be key for Seb to make a good start and jump Rosberg. From there I think he will be in for a shot at the win. But he can't let Lewis get away

#135 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 14:28

I think if Seb will get stuck behind ROS they should try and undercut him and if possible try to make one stop strategy with Kimi, it will be marginal on tyres but i think its worth to try.

#136 Cacarella

Cacarella

• 1,010 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 14:28

Merc have brought a new front wing here, anything new on the Ferrari since Aus?

Yes.  Read back a few pages.

The advantage they have is also their achilles heel.  The car doesn't put as much energy into the tyre as the Mercedes, so it's difficult to extract a single fast lap

out of a tyre that is only at it's optimum for 3/4s of a lap.  This inability is what gives them the advantage during race day.

As for qualy - terribly dissapinted in Kimi, we needed both cars up there tomorrow and Vettel's time wasn't unbeatable.  He threw another one away.

#137 Cacarella

Cacarella

• 1,010 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 14:31

I think if Seb will get stuck behind ROS they should try and undercut him and if possible try to make one stop strategy with Kimi, it will be marginal on tyres but i think its worth to try.

They could also undercut in the begining of the race to try and get the Mercs to do a longer last stint.

#138 Enzoluis

Enzoluis

• 1,738 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 14:53

Overall i think Ferrari cant be happy with today. Williams somehow came way to close for comfort and Merc was in the stratosphere today for Ferrari. Today we saw first small indication that Malaysia was down to heat, lets ses how in plays tomorow. I will be happy if Seb can at least mount a decent challenge for the win.

I think Ferrari already made me happy for all the year. Two month many of us would be happy being the second best  looking at Mercedes taking easily both championships. We ow know that we can put them in trouble at any race. :clap:

#139 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 15:00

As for qualy - terribly dissapinted in Kimi, we needed both cars up there tomorrow and Vettel's time wasn't unbeatable.  He threw another one away.

Wasn't unbeatable? Kimi couldn't beat Vettel's times even once today, so I doubt he would have beaten it, but he should have been 0.2-0.3s behind him, not 0.6s. That's the upsetting part. It would have been much easier if we locked out the 2nd row.

Advertisement

#140 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,018 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 16:18

Not terribly excited about tomorrow's race.

Think Mercedes especially Hamilton is going to walk away with it.

Hoping for a tyre limited race tomorrow, with the track temperature in excess of 45C or Mercedes getting into some kinds of reliability issues.

#141 Music Lover

Music Lover

• 1,111 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 16:55

it's easy to pass on this track so if Seb is faster, doubt it, he'll pass.

Kimi certainly going to pass both Williams...given a clean start

#142 f1rules

f1rules

• 6,729 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 17:21

Parc-Ferm-Formel-1-GP-China-Shanghai-11-

i think this puts a sleep you cannot have a chubby body and win in f1

#143 josepatches

josepatches

• 1,083 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 17:34

Ferrari doesnt have to try undercuts if they plan to make 2 stints with the softest tyre.

Here It seems it's gonna be difficult to fight Mercedes so the target has to be the podium. I wouldnt take inneccesary risk with the strategy while at least the third place isnt locked.

#144 Crossmax

Crossmax

• 1,334 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:08

What has Montoya got to do with this? 

#145 steferrari

steferrari

• 1,185 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:43

Answers to your questions from James Allison/4

@Matthew Monahan Is a one stop possible?

JA: One stop would be easily possible in terms of the life of the tyre, but it would be very slow compared to a 2 stop. This is true for all the teams at this track. All the teams will do a 2-stop race tomorrow unless they have some sort of disaster that forces them to stop three times.

#146 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 7,387 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 19:18

Allison completely rules out 1 stop on sky. Said it would be foolish.

Anyways, of course I am delighted with Ferrari today, and this season in general. This start has been more than my wildest dreams could have predicted. Seb too, he is doing a fine job. Him and Lewis are the most clutch when it comes to Q3.

But I am really pulling for Kimi. I want him to join the fun, so today again was a very frustrating day from his perspective. And since there were no overt problems, it was his own doing.

#147 Music Lover

Music Lover

• 1,111 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 19:26

WOW, what a nice car it is, the red bull  :up:

#148 Cacarella

Cacarella

• 1,010 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 01:41

WOW, what a nice car it is, the red bull  :up:

Yah, everyone with the size zero concepts really seem to be doing well.

#149 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 7,946 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:14

How's everyone feeling ahead of the race? What are you expecting?

#150 Exumer

Exumer

• 247 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:21

Ideally both cars should battle for podium and take 2 and 3rd place. I think Lewis will be out of reach. Realistically would be nice to have at least one car at the podium.

Edited by Exumer, 12 April 2015 - 05:22.