* * * - - 10 votes

"Egocentric" Alonso was bad for Ferrari – Lauda

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
408 replies to this topic

#1 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:22

Interesting comments from Niki here, maybe worth discussing. Quite strong words in fact. Im well aware this could be a can of worms so the mods can feel free to lock this ASAP, but maybe this can be thread to discuss why Alonso and Ferrari relationship failed.

http://www.motorspor...551786/?v=2&s=1

Advertisement

#2 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:24

In before ACTION starts. :p

#3 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 34,768 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:25

I thought this was common knowledge?

#4 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,569 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:27

Lauda is wrong in so many ways... But it seems it´s cool now to bash Fernando.

Just think what´d been of Ferrari the past few years without him. IMO he should´ve been even more critical of the team, to think he gave his best years of his career to a team that constantly let him down.

#5 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 49,737 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:31

Niki's a good judge of character and a straight talker. It's hardly news that Alonso has a massive ego.

#6 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,803 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:31

Nowadays Niki Lauda doesn't use toilet, instead he pisses on grasses in front of camera.

#7 Gyno

Gyno

• 657 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:33

So Alonso points out what is wrong and needs to be fixed and he is the bad guy?

Lauda needs to get his head out of his own arse.

I bet he did the same thing when he was driving.

#8 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:34

So does that mean Alonso wont be getting any calls from Merc as long as Lauda is there?

#9 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:39

So does that mean Alonso wont be getting any calls from Merc as long as Lauda is there?

Not enough space in one team for both Niki and Alonso's egos

#10 Flamini

Flamini

• 1,065 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:41

Relationship failed because Ferrari had produced bad cars. End of story.

And thread opened by Raikkonen fan, how surprising  ;)

#11 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:42

If confirmed, it would not be surprising anymore.

#12 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 21,124 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:42

Niki's a good judge of character and a straight talker. It's hardly news that Alonso has a massive ego.

It's hardly news that anyone in the paddock has a massive ego.

#13 Kimble

Kimble

• 1,240 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:44

Lauda is just hurting from Alonso beating Kimi.

#14 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:46

Maybe Niki is trying to tell that huge pressure Alonso mounted on the engineers had a negative effect on their creativity and work atmosphere and as a result they produced the crap cars.

#15 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 21,124 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:46

Maybe Niki is trying to tell that huge pressure Alonso mounted on the engineers had a negative effect on their creativity and work atmosphere and as a result they produced the crap cars.

LOL.

#16 igoru

igoru

• 498 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:47

One of the biggest ego speaking....

#17 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:48

Not enough space in one team for both Niki and Alonso's egos

Somehow the egos of di Montezemolo and Alonso could co-exist though.

:cat:

Edited by sopa, 11 April 2015 - 18:49.

#18 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:50

Just look at where Kimi is this year compared to last year, relative to the competition. Ferrari has just built a better car, end of story. It's not about the drivers. Alonso's ego was not slowing Kimi down.

Edited by redreni, 11 April 2015 - 20:32.

#19 f1RacingForever

f1RacingForever

• 1,384 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:51

Yeah sunshine vettel and stunts like multi 21 are, I'm sure, great for team moral on the other hand. Webber openly accusing he team of favoritism. Hamilton tweeting his telemetry, disclosing what was said during private team meetings. They all do things they shouldn't. If you're looking for some diplomatic angel then you won't find it.

Advertisement

#20 IWFSBF1

IWFSBF1

• 30 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:52

Fernando will rise again. Newbie here, but mark my words.

#21 NoSanityClause

NoSanityClause

• 1,390 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:59

One of the biggest ego speaking....

Indeed. Takes one to know another.

That said: yes, Alonso is egocentric. He can also be a bit of a douche. I would certainly not nominate him as the "Best personality in the paddock", neither would I nominate Hamilton, nor Schumacher. Not even Senna, who is considered an untouchable saint now, but it was insufferably arrogant within the F1 world as much as incredibly kind outside of it.

My all time favorite drivers are these (minus Schumi, plus Gilles...another guy with a "difficult" personality). I wish they were nicer, but they are not. As a consolation, they are the absolute best and for that I'm incredibly grateful. Alonso was good enough for Ferrari for 5 years. At every race he gave his best as is widely recognized. He did not disgrace Ferrari a single day.

As such, I don't pay no mind to Niki's comments. I'd rather see more Ricciardos in the paddock, but I take an Alonso over a Barrichello anyday.

#22 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 19:10

He dragged that lame horse to so many finishing position it wasn't capable of. He said nothing for years.

tumblr_me61j7guva1qakq3u.gif

He finally got fed up.

#23 snakestone

snakestone

• 107 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 19:19

Lauda "Ferrari and Alonso make a perfect team."

http://www.marca.com...1348613059.html

#24 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 19:22

:rotfl: :rotfl: :lol:

What a bandwagoner Lauda is LOL

#25 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 21,124 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 19:23

Yet another perfect example of folks in the paddock talking out of both sides of their mouths. Usually if they say anything it's done to advance an agenda of one sort or another. I wonder what Nikki's angle is this time.

#26 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 19:24

It's a shame that someone who I rather idolised as a child has become such a rent-a-mouth.

Edited by wj_gibson, 11 April 2015 - 19:24.

#27 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 19:24

To be fair to Lauda, he said that years ago, when things were clearly better at Ferrari. Besides, he didn't actually say something that contradicts what he said now.

#28 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 19:25

When has Lauda said anything nice about another driver than the two he is mentoring ? Maybe I have missed it ?

Another thing when we are at it if it´s ok with the moderators in here ? ( if not you can delete this post)

...Alonso is upset because Sky Italia´s journalist Paola Saluzzi tweeted something absurd and offensive to Alonso (in his opinion).
He has not done interviews with Sky Italia today because he wants an apology from Paola Saluzzi . 

#29 Claudius

Claudius

• 5,391 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 19:26

What has Laudas ego to do with the discussion at hand?

He doesn't have a beef in this fight, he's only expressing his opinion.

#30 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 21,124 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 19:27

When has Lauda said anything nice about another driver than the two he is mentoring ? Maybe I have missed it ?

Another thing when we are at it if it´s ok with the moderators in here ? ( if not you can delete this post)

...Alonso is upset because Sky Italia´s journalist Paola Saluzzi tweeted something absurd and offensive to Alonso (in his opinion).
He has not done interviews with Sky Italia today because he wants an apology from Paola Saluzzi . 

What did the tweet say?

#31 Sestre

Sestre

• 52 posts

0424716.jpg

Edited by Sestre, 11 April 2015 - 19:27.

#32 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Doesn't seem right to kick Fernando while he is down.  His new team is struggling and it seems like this is the perfect opportunity for some to lay the boot in.

There are two sides to this argument but it feels strange or wrong to get into it with any depth.  On the one hand, Alonso is a polarising figure who once blackmailed his team to favour him over his teammate, a pretty ruthless character who wants to win at all costs.  On the other hand, a team with tradition and great external pressures to succeed who have struggled to build top class championship winning cars and like to play the blame game.  With Alonso driving at a consistant high level during his years with the team.

Plenty of blame to go around on both sides.  Something had to change eventually.

The thing I find funny is the constant need to for people to always talk about Alonso.  Whether it be which team he should next join, or his crash in Barcelona, or if it was right or wrong to leave Ferrari.  The funny thing on this forum is that it's always the same people discussing it.  Page after page.

If you have an emptiness in your life, a sporting figure will never be able to fill it.  Gambling, drugs or drinking isn't good either.  There are other ways.. focus on your own achievements, not living through someone else's.

#33 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 19:30

http://www.marca.com...1348613059.html

Just goes to show what a two faced tosser Lauda can be.

#34 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 19:33

What did the tweet say?

I don´t know. I think she have deleted it.

#35 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,270 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 19:37

What did the tweet say?

http://www.gazzetta....417218927.shtml

#36 snakestone

snakestone

• 107 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 19:38

To be fair to Lauda, he said that years ago.

http://www.motorspor...-suzuka-report/

"Without Fernando Alonso," Mercedes team chairman Niki Lauda is quoted as saying, "Ferrari would be nowhere."

#37 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 21,124 posts

Doesn't seem right to kick Fernando while he is down.  His new team is struggling and it seems like this is the perfect opportunity for some to lay the boot in.

Let 'em get their licks in while they can...

#38 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Google translation

The presenter of Sky accuses the former Ferrari driver ("Piece of imbecile") then backtracks: "Being fans requires education, I was wrong"

#39 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 19:40

I find it extremely sad that there appears to be a line of people who have clearly been waiting for some time to kick one of the greatest drivers of his generation despite that driver having done nothing harmful to those doing the kicking.

Advertisement

#40 Claudius

Claudius

• 5,391 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 19:41

Lauda maybe knows something he didn't know back then.

Is that so inconceivable? People are not allowed to change their opinions?

#41 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 21,124 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 19:43

Thanks! Google translate isn't much help with this one. Can anyone here translate Italian?

#42 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Lauda maybe knows something he didn't know back then.
Is that so inconceivable? People are not allowed to change their opinions?

They can change their opinions if there is a reason to do so.

But then I think back to 2007 when Lauda more or less suggested that peopel from Asturias were not educated properly. He has a regrettable recent history of saying extremely ill-considered things about Alonso for no apparent reason.

#43 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Some strong words from Alonso himself too:

Alonso tells rivals to enjoy his downfall while it lasts

http://www.grandprix...s/display/10114

Im surprised. I never got the impression Ferrari enjoys of watching fernando exits in q1 which he implies.

#44 P123

P123

• 24,846 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 19:45

He dragged that lame horse to so many finishing position it wasn't capable of. He said nothing for years.

He finally got fed up.

Pretty much. He was the only good thing Ferrari had for quite a while. To suggest he was bad for Ferrari is absurd.... the suggestion behind Lauda's comments being that Vettel's sunny attitude is so much better for them. Vettel is the newbie, coming into a team that has comfortably the second best car which looks capable of challenging for wins. You bet he's all 'sunny'! Alonso had been there for quite some time at what was a repetitively underachieving team. Naturally his demeanour would be different. It's not a fair or just comparison by Lauda.

As for the ego, of course he has it, as do most of the drivers .

#45 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 21,124 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 19:46

Some strong words from Alonso himself too:

Alonso tells rivals to enjoy his downfall while it lasts

http://www.grandprix...s/display/10114

Im surprised. I never got the impression Ferrari enjoys of watching fernando exits in q1 which he implies.

Kosmos says another thread that the media translation of his original quote is a bit off, and actually says he "hopes it will soon be time for me to enjoy".

Changes things quite a bit.

#46 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 19:48

Again, that doesn't exactly contradict anything he says now. He's not denying Alonso's racing abilities or anything.  Why are people confusing two completely different things? Besides, he might have learned something he didn't know before. After Alonso is gone, people at Ferrari are likely more willing to talk about what was happening during his spell in the team. It's normal.

#47 Claudius

Claudius

• 5,391 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 19:49

They can change their opinions if there is a reason to do so.

But then I think back to 2007 when Lauda more or less suggested that peopel from Asturias were not educated properly. He has a regrettable recent history of saying extremely ill-considered things about Alonso for no apparent reason.

That's what I'm saying, he maybe has found out something from the Ferrari team recently. Just a suggestion.

To be fair Lauda has been dishing dirt to many people during the years. Some of it justified some of it not.

But IMO I don't think he's out to hurt Alonso while he's down. There's no reason for Niki to do that, from what I gather.

He's been praising him as a driver for years. Now he thinks Alonso also haves a negative side which can impact a team. 

What's the big deal...

#48 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 20:01

Why did Alonso stop performing these wondrous feats? McLaren could definitely use any help they can get. If the Ferrari finished 4th, 1st or 2nd it was capable of finishing in those positions. There is no magic 110% performance.

As for Lauda; he seems to be talking about Ferrari more than Alonso. I don't much care for the 'it's because they're Italians' line of reasoning, though, so while I recognize Lauda's experience at Ferrari and his undoubtedly good connections with the team, this supposed analysis doesn't strike me as very convincing or even novel.

#49 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 20:02

Niki hasn't been worth listening to for a long time but of course people choose to believe what they want to believe.

#50 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,667 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 20:04

So Ferrari went from egocentric Alonso to egocentric Vettel. Makes sense.