- - - - -

Oval races, formulas and Europe?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mendel

Mendel

• 343 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 00:05

First of all, why is there no oval race in Formula 1? I think it would be a nice change/specialty to have a single race in an oval track in a season. Would todays tires be up for it?

Second of all, is there any racing series in europe that does have oval track(s) in it? (Formulas and otherwise). If not, why not?

Only oval racing they do over here that I can think of involves either motorcycles on ice or horse racing (and people running too) :)

Edited by Mendel, 13 April 2015 - 00:06.

Advertisement

#2 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 00:32

I grew up watching BriSCA Formula 1 stock cars

http://brisca.com

http://en.wikipedia....la_1_Stock_Cars

There aren't many tracks left these days but the series is still a lot of fun to watch.

Edited by johnmhinds, 13 April 2015 - 00:34.

#3 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 00:51

Well there's this:

#4 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,626 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:26

There's banger racing too, if that counts. 

#5 ehagar

ehagar

• 7,829 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:30

First of all, why is there no oval race in Formula 1? I think it would be a nice change/specialty to have a single race in an oval track in a season. Would todays tires be up for it?

Second of all, is there any racing series in europe that does have oval track(s) in it? (Formulas and otherwise). If not, why not?

Only oval racing they do over here that I can think of involves either motorcycles on ice or horse racing (and people running too) :)

Also consider car construction, FIA circuit grading, and being able to run in all weather conditions.

That said, it is a shame that there isn't a European based open wheel series (maybe using the same chassis/engines as Indycar?) to use Lausitzsring and Rockingham along with a few road courses.

Would be more interesting than the plethora of formula whatever that seems to be out there these days.

#6 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:14

100% oval doesn't seem interesting.
I always thought they could have used the full oval at Indy .... Say 90%. And made the infield bit more interesting. Then you would have had your oval racing.

#7 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 46,051 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:22

Free your mind and the rest will follow ....
Jp

#8 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:37

Aero, chassis, engines, gearboxes, cooling, tyres etc should be reworked totally for oval use. 

#9 Peat

Peat

• 9,238 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:17

WTF? It's just turning left! No skill. :drunk:

#10 fosters35

fosters35

• 214 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:05

I went to a couple of the ASCAR events at Rockingham around 10 years ago and thought it was great. You could see the whole oval meaning you knew exactly what was going on all the time.

They sounded real good too.

#11 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:33

Also consider car construction, FIA circuit grading, and being able to run in all weather conditions.

That said, it is a shame that there isn't a European based open wheel series (maybe using the same chassis/engines as Indycar?) to use Lausitzsring and Rockingham along with a few road courses.

Would be more interesting than the plethora of formula whatever that seems to be out there these days.

German F3 raced the Lausitz oval couple of times many years ago.

#12 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:11

Driving on an oval requires a completely different set-up and driving style, which most F1 drivers would never have experienced before, so running them on an oval would be as much a shot in the dark as running them on a drag strip.

I think a European Indycar series would be fun, as mentioned there are the two ovals they could run - but like all series, there just doesn't seem to be enough funding/drivers to make it work - look at A1GP/FA1/AutoGP for example, often barely ticking over, relegated to support card status and with minimal media coverage. The only series that attract people/money are F1 feeders or multi-driver GT events.

#13 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:16

Aside from the stock cars, there is a pickup truck series in the UK that races twice a year at Rockingham on the oval as well as a selection of road courses.

I highly recommend going to see them live, they even race in the rain

DSC_7371.JPG

#14 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,970 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:30

WTF? It's just turning left! No skill. :drunk:

Its obvious you have never been to a hot rod event!..The fast guys start at the back and watching them scything through the field is mesmerising.Like johnmhinds just said, classic oval tracks in the UK a thing of the past. But for sheer entertainment oval racing is it. That said,I doubt it would work for F1.

#15 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:38

I'd love to see an Oval track, I think it would mix things up quite a bit, and be brilliant to see the F1 cars slipstreaming eachother.

Not going to happen though :(

#16 Peat

Peat

• 9,238 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:48

Its obvious you have never been to a hot rod event!..The fast guys start at the back and watching them scything through the field is mesmerising.Like johnmhinds just said, classic oval tracks in the UK a thing of the past. But for sheer entertainment oval racing is it. That said,I doubt it would work for F1.

I was hoping my trolling was obvious. 

I've traveled to America specifically to watch the Indy500, I'm an oval guy. I get it.