- - - - -

Rumour: Horner may bring Arden 'B-team' into F1

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,611 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:39

A rumour circulating around today is that Christian Horner may bring his Arden racing team into F1 to be a Renualt b team. Another rumour is that James Key may be promoted to Red Bull as part of a Red Bull reshuffle.

Advertisement

#2 Graveltrappen

Graveltrappen

• 1,261 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:42

This him preparing to abandon Redbull before its sold?

#3 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,611 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:44

Looks like people are jumping the RB ship. Not looking good for them.

#4 aramos

aramos

• 1,498 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:53

I've seen these rumors, they have absolutely no sources at all. GP2 teams effectively just set up spec cars, they aren't in design and manufacturing.

Edited by aramos, 25 April 2015 - 09:53.

#5 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,987 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:01

The story behind these rumours are the rules about using wind tunnels and that things in F1. The big teams searches for partner teams for using their wind tunnel time, so McLaren is said to do with Manor. But starting a F1 team just because of that?

Arden wanted in F1 in 2004, but then Horner became Red Bull team principal.

F1 now is too expensive for founding a new team, so that rumours are nonsense.

#6 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,611 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:13

You obviously hadn't heard that Haas, a new team, is joining F1 next year then? :rolleyes:

#7 peroa

peroa

• 10,879 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:07

Emmm, Didi already has a B-team in F1, I thought that was common knowledge.

Sometimes one wonders if these "journalists" engage a brain cell or two before writing BS.

First he wants to get rid of both, now he will bring in another one?

Edited by peroa, 25 April 2015 - 11:08.

#8 LORDBYRON

LORDBYRON

• 1,645 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:27

Will weber be a driver as i am sure he owns part of it with horner ?

And how can he they have no F1 Licence other than buying Manor via a group of investors  its a non story 

Edited by LORDBYRON, 25 April 2015 - 11:29.

#9 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 2,393 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:29

And how can he they have no F1 Licence other than buying Manor via a group of investors its a non story

No, Webber partnered for the GP3 team, not Arden in general.

#10 GhostR

GhostR

• 3,871 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:33

And how can he they have no F1 Licence other than buying Manor via a group of investors its a non story

The FIA have 2 unfilled licences they'll be happy to grant to someone credible who presents a viable business plan.

#11 LORDBYRON

LORDBYRON

• 1,645 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:44

The FIA have 2 unfilled licences they'll be happy to grant to someone credible who presents a viable business plan.

Its only viable if there were a real budget cap. Thats why there on a shelf collecting dust.

#12 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:54

Emmm, Didi already has a B-team in F1, I thought that was common knowledge.

Sometimes one wonders if these "journalists" engage a brain cell or two before writing BS.

First he wants to get rid of both, now he will bring in another one?

One wonders if forumites engage brain cells occasionally. The OP says "Renault" B team, not Red Bull. I expect that means that this rumor is in conjunction with the Renault ot buy out Torro Rosso rumor as well, which would leave RB with a single team and Renault with 2.

Still, I really don't see Arden joining F1 happening. However, the other part of the rumor, about James Key stepping up to RBR, is nothing new and seems entirely likely. He's done a very good job with the Torro Rosso this year and does seem like a logical choice to fill Adrian Newey's large shoes.

You obviously hadn't heard that Haas, a new team, is joining F1 next year then? :rolleyes:

The difference here is that Haas is an incredibly rich man and intends to use F1 to boost sales of his CNC machines. Horner's rich but not remotely on that kind of scale so he couldn't remotely hope to fund Arden stepping up.

#13 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:48

I've seen these rumors, they have absolutely no sources at all. GP2 teams effectively just set up spec cars, they aren't in design and manufacturing.

If Red Bull is leaving, Horner just need a new name. He can not buy Red Bull and continue to call it Red Bull.

#14 peroa

peroa

• 10,879 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:48

One wonders if forumites engage brain cells occasionally. The OP says "Renault" B team, not Red Bull. I expect that means that this rumor is in conjunction with the Renault ot buy out Torro Rosso rumor as well, which would leave RB with a single team and Renault with 2.

Still, I really don't see Arden joining F1 happening. However, the other part of the rumor, about James Key stepping up to RBR, is nothing new and seems entirely likely. He's done a very good job with the Torro Rosso this year and does seem like a logical choice to fill Adrian Newey's large shoes.

The difference here is that Haas is an incredibly rich man and intends to use F1 to boost sales of his CNC machines. Horner's rich but not remotely on that kind of scale so he couldn't remotely hope to fund Arden stepping up.

The problem is that there will be no Renault A team to begin with, Ghosn made it pretty clear a couple of weeks ago, that engine development has priority (source AMUS).

Do you really think that buying TR (in the middle of nowhere location wise) and getting another team up and running in England would make any sense?

Re James Key, one has to wonder what the heck RBR was thinking parking him at TR, he has done very well everywhere he has been, seems like Newey wasn't to thrilled about the competition.

#15 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:56

If Red Bull is leaving, Horner just need a new name. He can not buy Red Bull and continue to call it Red Bull.

This seems like a logical direction for the team to be going in if Red Bull are pulling out.

Torro Rosso gets bought out by Renault and becomes the A team, Red Bull gets renamed as Arden and turns into the B team.

#16 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,987 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 14:27

Yes but that's not a private team as Arden.

#17 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 16:05

The problem is that there will be no Renault A team to begin with, Ghosn made it pretty clear a couple of weeks ago, that engine development has priority (source AMUS).

Do you really think that buying TR (in the middle of nowhere location wise) and getting another team up and running in England would make any sense?

Re James Key, one has to wonder what the heck RBR was thinking parking him at TR, he has done very well everywhere he has been, seems like Newey wasn't to thrilled about the competition.

I didn't see that, but it's not a surprise and I never believed that Renault were going to buy up a team anyway, Ghosn is as tight fisted as they come, and I've already said on the forum here that buying Torro Rosso made no sense since they only have limited facilities at Faenza with Key and his team based in the UK and specifically working for Red Bull Technology. I've always maintained that Sauber would make more sense, difficult to get the staff to move to Switzerland but excellent facilities.

Yes, Key has done very well with Force India and Sauber but is unproven at the front. Are you going to fire Adrian Newey in the middle of RB's title runs for a guy who  has yet to design a race winning car? Makes more sense to put him in at TR and to see not only how he does but how he works before promoting him up to the A team, something I wouldn't be surprised to see happening soon now.

Edited by Imateria, 25 April 2015 - 16:06.

#18 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 1,895 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 16:11

This seems like a logical direction for the team to be going in if Red Bull are pulling out.

Torro Rosso gets bought out by Renault and becomes the A team, Red Bull gets renamed as Arden and turns into the B team.

If Red Bull are selling why wouldn't Renault just buy out the Milton Keynes facility which is ready to fight for wins, unlike Torro Rosso?

#19 toxicfusion

toxicfusion

• 553 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 17:07

If Red Bull are selling why wouldn't Renault just buy out the Milton Keynes facility which is ready to fight for wins, unlike Torro Rosso?

It does seem crazy that they would buy Torro Rosso, when for substantially less money they could be play a bigger part with Red Bull similar to the McLaren/Honda partnership.

I guess if Red Bull leave then both teams would have a few problems, what with alot of work carried out by Red Bull Technology...

Advertisement

#20 oetzi

oetzi

• 6,829 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 00:20

Or RB stays as works Renault team, TR stays as RB B team, and Arden is a Renault run Renault B(urner) team to be used for development.

#21 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,672 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 00:27

A rumour circulating around today is that Christian Horner may bring his Arden racing team into F1 to be a Renualt b team. Another rumour is that James Key may be promoted to Red Bull as part of a Red Bull reshuffle.

Circulating where?