- - - - -

Iranian Grand Prix

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 46,073 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 23:06

And I thought Weehauken was a stretch....
http://motorsportsta...mula-1-circuit/

Jp

Advertisement

#2 R Soul

R Soul

• 1,639 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 23:21

Another boost for the tarmac industry.

#3 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 23:22

Is this a joke? Wrong on so many levels :rolleyes:

#4 shonguiz

shonguiz

• 3,714 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 23:29

Exciting news, i would love to see it happen.

Edited by shonguiz, 04 May 2015 - 23:29.

#5 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,672 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 23:44

Politically this is certainly a new low/high.

In terms of how developed that place actually is, I suspect better than Azerbaijan and Bahrain...

#6 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 23:47

Lets just rename it Formula Oil and be done with it...

#7 SCHUEYFAN

SCHUEYFAN

• 500 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 23:49

Who's the main sponsor, Hezbollah?   What a farce, a country with zero international racing history and they want a GP??  The joke of it is Bernie can smell a sucker a thousand miles away and he will gladly whore out F1 to the next country with the cash to burn.  No Germany or possibly Italy, I hope Bernie and his ilk leave the sport soon since we are losing credibility every week it seems. :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:

#8 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:28

Whao, F1 is going places. Double points at the Iranian GP  :clap: .......... just kidding. 

#9 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:51

Lol

Iran is of course a highly developed country, but not sure it is the right message to be supporting a controversial government like that...

At least the food is good  :p  :clap:

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 05 May 2015 - 05:51.

#10 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,677 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:03

Well, from South Africa and Argentina to China and Bahrain, Formula One has a history of making deals in countries where the governments saw/see the enemy mostly in their own country. So it wouldn't be a surprise, only a disgrace.

edit: And don't come with that "F1 is sport, and sport should be unpolitical" crap....!

edit2: Because we know F1 is a business. Let's at least turn the business whitewash against itself and demand "corporate responsibility", or whatever the empty phrase of the day might be, from Bernie and his gang.

Edited by anbeck, 05 May 2015 - 06:05.

#11 brr

brr

• 480 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:06

In 2009, there was a FIFA World Cup qualifier played in Pyongyang, Iran vs North Korea. Hard to see Bernie ever topping that. Apparently F1 is the only sport which is required to pass political judgement on various countries.

#12 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:06

If the circuit is exciting and the venue is accessible to the European teams - that is, not subject to the high number of sanctions imposed on Iran by European and North-American states - it could well be an interesting event; as long as they don't call it the European Grand Prix I don't see why one would dismiss it straight away. Iran is a large country with a young population that many of the money-guys are no doubt keeping an eye on.

As mentioned countless times in other threads, the Racing Comments forum is not the place for straight up political discussions, so I'll refrain from commenting on that subject. Suffice to say that dubious actions by the host-country has not stopped F1 in the past and is unlikely to do so in the future.

Edited by Nonesuch, 05 May 2015 - 06:08.

#13 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,488 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:00

Well, they have really beautiful women there  :clap:

#14 ensign14

ensign14

• 63,331 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:27

Cant wait that after this comes the North Korean people's republic Gp where if any driver doesnt get to Q2 gets executed.

Kaesong would be a brilliant place for a GP.  Street circuit around mediaeval buildings on ultra-wide streets, serious elevation changes...

#15 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 8,155 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:51

Well, the island they want to build the track on has already the form of a F1-track.

1024px-QeshmIsland_NASA.jpg

Joke. The island is 135 km long. That is a bit of a stretch... Reminds me a bit of Clarkson Island, actually... :p

Edited by Nemo1965, 05 May 2015 - 07:51.

#16 OneAndOnly

OneAndOnly

• 1,412 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:11

Politically cannot quite see difference between Bahrain and Iran. Perception of these countries is created by western media, but in the end both are dictatorships (Bahrain "imported" soldiers to stop riots). Also China and Russia are also known for not caring about human rights too much. If these countries are good enough for GP, then Iran is too.

But if you ask me first prerequisite for any international sport venue should be democratic government. Obviously ruthless businessman (harsh words not used intentionally) like Bernie doesn't care too much about that, and that is disgusting. 

#17 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:27

Renault may face some trouble with the law for taking explosives into a place like that

#18 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:41

I went to Iran a couple of years ago - its very developed, despite crippling sanctions, and highly intelligent and frankly enlightened people. Given the political situation, I don't think its right to have a Grand Prix there, but it definitely has the infrastructure to host a race, and anybody who goes will have a wonderful time. 

However, I'd rather we kept Monza, Nurburgring, Spa, etc. 

#19 ANF

ANF

• 32,054 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:53

Just be careful. They could be devil worshippers.

Advertisement

#20 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,672 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:54

In 2009, there was a FIFA World Cup qualifier played in Pyongyang, Iran vs North Korea. Hard to see Bernie ever topping that. Apparently F1 is the only sport which is required to pass political judgement on various countries.

I'll let you work out the differences between a competition where every single nation in the world fields a team and hosts games (making a total of hundreds or thousands of games); and a competition in which there's about 20 events per year worldwide to put on.

Not that FIFA aren't incredibly corrupt neither... but I don't see anything wrong with matches like that.

#21 Shambolic

Shambolic

• 1,312 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:58

Politically cannot quite see difference between Bahrain and Iran. Perception of these countries is created by western media, but in the end both are dictatorships (Bahrain "imported" soldiers to stop riots). Also China and Russia are also known for not caring about human rights too much. If these countries are good enough for GP, then Iran is too.

But if you ask me first prerequisite for any international sport venue should be democratic government. Obviously ruthless businessman (harsh words not used intentionally) like Bernie doesn't care too much about that, and that is disgusting. 

I don't think a democratic government is the gold standard - After all, many countries can claim democratic leadership, and it's not like Western democracies have entirely wholesome records on illegal warfare, human rights abuses, etc. And there can be benevolent dictators.

What's really needed is a separation between sport and politics. As long as F1 (and other global sports) are paraded around as a certificate of international acceptability, sport will take the blood money in exchange for association. I don't know how you move away from "The Grand Prix of X" though.

#22 brr

brr

• 480 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:32

I'll let you work out the differences between a competition where every single nation in the world fields a team and hosts games (making a total of hundreds or thousands of games); and a competition in which there's about 20 events per year worldwide to put on.

There is no relevant difference. Both sports accept various countries as hosts, and both sports have a large number of ignorant fans who would like them not to.

#23 Talisman

Talisman

• 7,073 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:07

There is no relevant difference. Both sports accept various countries as hosts, and both sports have a large number of ignorant fans who would like them not to.

Out of curiosity where would you have held the home and away legs of the world cup qualifiers between North Korea and Iran?

I don't see anything special in this report, they're building a track in the hope they may get a race sometime in the future. Hopefully there'll be enough people with sense in Iran in power to block such a waste of money.

#24 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:23

Unlikely to happen at present:

The FCO advise against all but essential travel to the rest of Iran.

This is stronger than currently for Bahrain and could well make it hard if not impossible for teams to get insurance. Most insurance policies do not cover countries against which the foreign office has advised against travel.

#25 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,672 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:28

One sport accepts every single nation in the world as hosts - when they open exceptions to forbid matches from happeneing, they're making a political statement.

The other sport selects a limited amount of nations, of which an even more limited range pays massive money at governmental level for the priviledge of hosting an event, to promote the nation's status worldwide. Each time F1 allows this to happen, F1 makes a political statement.

#26 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:16

This is stronger than currently for Bahrain and could well make it hard if not impossible for teams to get insurance. Most insurance policies do not cover countries against which the foreign office has advised against travel.

I expect this will change over the next couple of years ....along with quite a few other things re relationship with Iran. This race is not impossible.

#27 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:21

Not western media ... Western govts..... if policy changes, so will media coverage.... and so will perceptions.

Edited by jjcale, 05 May 2015 - 12:22.

#28 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:51

If the World Cup can go to Qatar then any venue is utterly possible

No one thing F1 or Bernie has done or can do will ever surpas FIFA's acceptance of a country hosting a World Cup that has no history of football, encourages anti just aboue everything Western, and wants everyone to go there and watch players die in 40 degree heat!

Nothing beats that so far.

it might be a lovely place, probably is, just like Iran, but its like hosting the Winter Olympics in that area in Chile where the telescopes are that has never had any rainfall let alone snow!

Preposterous

#29 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,849 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:56

I can't wait to see the grid girls' outfits.

:)

#30 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 46,073 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 13:09

Here's your 2014 Miss Iran.

And on this evidence ..... I vote we go.

www-pinterest-com-3.jpg?w=425&h=289

Jp

#31 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 13:16

Bernie would go through with the grand prix of the islamic state if the jihadist are willinf to pay the right fee.

Madness.

#32 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 13:16

Here's your 2014 Miss Iran.

And on this evidence ..... I vote we go.

www-pinterest-com-3.jpg?w=425&h=289

Jp

Can we go twice in one year?

#33 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 13:19

Considering its one of the safest countries I've been to, and westerners are overtly welcomed and protected, the only danger is from the crazy driving on the roads. 

Therefore as long as Pastor is denied a visa, the insurers will be OK. 

#34 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 6,181 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 13:30

I think Bernie does care about that, only in reverse of common decency.  Democratic governments can't put their citizens' money into Bernie's pockets anywhere near as efficiently as dictatorships can.  Democratic governments also don't need to buy prestige events to showcase their countries.

#35 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,700 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 13:50

Didn't we have this one a few years ago?

It doesn't matter anyway. Even if this proposal actually happens and someone builds a circuit, the sanctions and travel advisories on Iran aren't going to be lifted overnight. As long as they're in place, the prospect of another sandy race no one cares about remains nil.

#36 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 14:28

And I thought Weehauken was a stretch....
http://motorsportsta...mula-1-circuit/

Jp

Bring on Weehawken, Qeshm Island, Casablanca and Kyalami as well! Time not only for a NY skyline Grand Prix and an Iranian Grand Prix, but bring back the two African GPs for good measure - Africa is sadly missing from the F1 calendar!

Edited by aditya-now, 05 May 2015 - 14:36.

#37 DoodoolTalla

DoodoolTalla

• 400 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 14:40

As a Iranian I don't see this ever happening unless mandatory hijab is lifted by the government.

#38 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 14:47

Track layout

irangp.jpg

#39 Talisman

Talisman

• 7,073 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 15:09

I expect this will change over the next couple of years ....along with quite a few other things re relationship with Iran. This race is not impossible.

Thats far from a given, especially with any nuclear deal likely to be savaged by critics both in the US and Iran.  I can't see the senate letting Obama get away with it for instance.

So far I'd say it has as much going for it as the Greek GP they floated at the same time they went to the IMF.  With oil prices the way they are the Iranians might run out of cash over the next year or so making this a complete fantasy.  Still, if the track looks as dull as projected above thats probably a good thing.

Advertisement

#40 Gyan

Gyan

• 1,250 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 15:27

The location would make for a really unique looking track. Just imagine a straight and a quick right hander going by the rock formations.

Qeshm%20Island%20-%20Beautifull%20Mounts

But the island might not be accessible for most people making any potential good track into another Istanbul. Besides, until the Ayotollahs stick around, this aint gonna happen.

#41 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,605 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 15:46

As a Iranian I don't see this ever happening unless mandatory hijab is lifted by the government.

That's what I'm thinking - could be a real problem for female broadcasters and team personnel. Is this horrid rule applied to sporting events like international football matches?

There's also the small matter of some organisations - the BBC, for instance - being banned from Iran. All in all, I can't see this race happening any time soon.

EDIT: Perhaps in response to my first question; women aren't always allowed to attend male-dominated sporting events at all. One day, Iran will make a great, vibrant democracy and a fantastic place to hold an F1 race. Right now, sadly, it's neither.

Edited by Spillage, 05 May 2015 - 17:35.

#42 MrPodium

MrPodium

• 693 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 15:57

That's what I'm thinking - could be a real problem for female broadcasters and team personnel. Is this horrid rule applied to sporting events like international football matches?

There's also the small matter of some organisations - the BBC, for instance, being banned from Iran. All in all, I can't see this race happening any time soon.

EDIT: Perhaps in response to my first question; women aren't always allowed to attend male-dominated sporting events at all. One day, Iran will make a great, vibrant democracy and a fantastic place to hold an F1 race. Right now, sadly, it's neither.

Perfectly summed up. Couldn't have said it better myself, so I won't.

#43 GenJackRipper

GenJackRipper

• 284 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 15:57

Thank you. I fully agree.
I would not want to see a race in Iran but having one in Bahrain this wouldn't be something new.

#44 overmatik

overmatik

• 146 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 16:04

Bernie would go through with the grand prix of the islamic state if the jihadist are willinf to pay the right fee.

Madness.

This. Close thread! :cry:

Edited by overmatik, 05 May 2015 - 16:04.

#45 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,754 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 16:58

Exciting news, i would love to see it happen.

I agree. It's interesting too see the younger generation growing up in Iran - more interesting that they could transform the society and their place in history.

Also refreshing is that the government is acknowledging this :up:

Lets just hope that Netanyahu doesn't make another visit to Congress to prevent this from happening  :drunk:

Edited by aportinga, 05 May 2015 - 17:01.

#46 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,754 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 17:04

I went to Iran a couple of years ago - its very developed, despite crippling sanctions, and highly intelligent and frankly enlightened people. Given the political situation, I don't think its right to have a Grand Prix there, but it definitely has the infrastructure to host a race, and anybody who goes will have a wonderful time. 

However, I'd rather we kept Monza, Nurburgring, Spa, etc. 

Agreed... My comments prior were based on the hopes of development for Iran rather than F1.

#47 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 17:04

The location would make for a really unique looking track. Just imagine a straight and a quick right hander going by the rock formations.

Qeshm%20Island%20-%20Beautifull%20Mounts

But the island might not be accessible for most people making any potential good track into another Istanbul. Besides, until the Ayotollahs stick around, this aint gonna happen.

PhantomMenace1.jpg

#48 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 17:07

Track layout

irangp.jpg

Got more images of it?

found this http://www.f1fanatic...track-map-1.jpg

Edited by Atreiu, 05 May 2015 - 17:09.

#49 BRG

BRG

• 26,545 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 17:15

Leaving aside some of the less informed comments above (Iran is considerably more democratic than China for instance - they actually have contested elections), if this brought Iran back into the international community and contributed to reducing some of the more extreme social abuses that it currently enjoys, that would be a good thing.

But Iran isn't a motor racing country so it shouldn't get a GP until it develops its own racing culture.

#50 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 17:22

(...) But Iran isn't a motor racing country so it shouldn't get a GP until it develops its own racing culture.

Isn't that a chicken and egg situation?