* - - - - 3 votes

PDVSA Team Lotus Mercedes sponsored by... Pharrel Wiliams

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Graveltrappen

Graveltrappen

• 1,261 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 20:17

A new low for the 'celebz' push by F1 that they seem to think we're all desperate for... the Lotus team now has the name of a bleedin singer down the side of it!!

lotus-f1-monaco-race.jpg

Also felt desperately sorry for Martin Brundle as he was blanked by some alleged 'celebrity' model on the grid... Ridiculous scrum for her attention

Edited by Graveltrappen, 24 May 2015 - 21:16.

Advertisement

#2 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 1,058 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 20:20

So Pharrell is doing the daft punk & guetta ?

#3 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,584 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 20:21

It is a persons right to lead their life privately and not wanting to be interviewed. Labeling such a person as scum is despicable.

#4 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,884 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 20:25

It is a persons right to lead their life privately and not wanting to be interviewed. Labeling such a person as scum is despicable.

It is, but don't be on the grid ahead of a Grand Prix as a corporate guest of a major sponsor if you want to remain anonymous

#5 Nathan

Nathan

• 8,189 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 20:41

It is, but don't be on the grid ahead of a Grand Prix as a corporate guest of a major sponsor if you want to remain anonymous

That is ridiculous :drunk:

If they dont want to be on the TV in the back round, or in passing you have a point, but just because you are on the grid doesnt oblige you to give TV interviews.

Edited by Nathan, 24 May 2015 - 21:06.

#6 OO7

OO7

• 23,567 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 21:15

A new low for the 'celebz' push by F1 that they seem to think we're all desperate for... the Lotus team now has the name of a bleedin singer down the side of it!!

lotus-f1-monaco-race.jpg

What is wrong with that?  Is he a murderer or a pedophile?

#7 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 21:19

I bet Lotus were hoping it would help them get lucky.

#8 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 49,719 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 21:21

What is wrong with that?  Is he a murderer or a pedophile?

He should have been sponsoring Williams  :p

If that model actually blanked Martin on the grid then that's unacceptable behaviour. A polite "no thank you" is all that's needed if you'd rather not be interviewed.

#9 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,584 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 21:46

If that model actually blanked Martin on the grid then that's unacceptable behaviour. A polite "no thank you" is all that's needed if you'd rather not be interviewed.

...which is exactly what she did.

#10 RockBrocaine

RockBrocaine

• 107 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 21:49

lotus-f1-monaco-race.jpg

Also felt desperately sorry for Martin Brundle as he was blanked by some alleged 'celebrity' model on the grid... Ridiculous scrum for her attention

Jesus Christ, are you funding the race team? You have another sponsor for them right? 

#11 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 1,151 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 22:41

. . .   just because you are on the grid doesnt oblige you to give TV interviews.

Exactly. 'Clap along, if you feel that that's what you wanna do' Or not.

#12 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 22:59

Pharrell Williams is signed to Columbia Records, as are Daft Punk... Lotus have had an on-off partnership with them since 2013

Columbia.jpg

#13 Mekola

Mekola

• 2,647 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:05

It's not a novelty that Lotus sells car space to occasional sponsor by a race basis. They also did it too in 2014.

#14 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,848 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:49

What is wrong with that? Is he a murderer or a pedophile?

Having waited on him and his lady and child a number of times while working in restaurants, he is actually a perfect gentleman so the shock of seeing his name on the side of a car is completely out of place, IMO. He's a lot more talented than a number of other people that are considered recording artists these days.

#15 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,626 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 02:11

This is not unprecedented. ATS had ABBA on their sidepods through most of 1981 thanks to their driver, Slim Borgudd.

#16 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:47

Who the f*** is Pharrel Williams?

#17 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 5,024 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:05

If it makes them happy....

Badum tss.

#18 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:58

And a room without a roof is basically just a courtyard, isn't it?

#19 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 5,024 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:01

And a room without a roof is basically just a courtyard, isn't it?

Yep. Unless your house has just been hit by a hurricane.

Advertisement

#20 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:41

Nobody said she was scum.

#21 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,838 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:27

One-off entertainment industry sponsorship deals are nothing new - especially at the Monaco Grand Prix. Red Bull had a Star Wars tie-in in 2005, followed by a Superman link-up the following year - and before the Milton Keynes F1 team became Red Bull, Jaguar featured "Oceans 12" branding at Monaco in 2004 (not to mention the infamous diamond on the nose cone). The Terminator movie franchise has also featured in F1 - with Jaguar at the British Grand Prix in 2004 and with Brawn GP at the 2009 Spanish Grand Prix, promoting "Terminator Salvation" - oddly appropriate for a team that had been rescued from the ashes of the Honda F1 operation.  

#22 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:33

lotus-f1-monaco-race.jpg

Feel sorry for Martin Brundle? That's a big odd, I looked to me like he attempted to make conversation with some young girl playing with her mobile phone and looked far too stupid to have developed any interpersonal social skills.

#23 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 13:40

There does seem to be Blurred Lines as far as Graveltrappen is concerned over what is acceptable sponsorship or not. 

#24 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 15:41

Who the f*** is Pharrel Williams?

Seconded.

#25 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,217 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 15:47

No difference really between Richard Mille, who sell watches, and Pharrel Williams, who sells songs.

#26 BRG

BRG

• 26,553 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 18:03

Nice levels of cultural snobbery here....

#27 FNG

FNG

• 5,850 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 18:20

A whole thread and no one mentions the name of the person who snubbed Martin. Who was it?

#28 evo

evo

• 431 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 13:10

August/superden: trolls gonna troll, troll, troll?

Looks like the model is Cara Delevingne according to google?

2906E7A400000578-3094912-Matching_Cara_D

#29 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 13:18

2906E7A400000578-3094912-Matching_Cara_D

she was mildly weird and borderline hilarious,  she went everywhere literally with a circle of bodyguards around. You see famous people all the time in Monaco especially around Cannes Film Festival time, I don't think I 've ever seen anybody acting that bizarrely, even heads of state don't have that much bodyguardage around.

#30 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 13:38

She was with Ronaldo though, they were both there doing promo work for Tag Heuer.

If she had done an interview everyone would complain about how clueless she was, why is Brundle interviewing celebs again, blah blah.

#31 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,611 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 13:43

she was mildly weird and borderline hilarious,  she went everywhere literally with a circle of bodyguards around. You see famous people all the time in Monaco especially around Cannes Film Festival time, I don't think I 've ever seen anybody acting that bizarrely, even heads of state don't have that much bodyguardage around.

She is quite an excentric character from what I have seen of her. In my F1, the only celebs who should be allowed in should be racing fans, not models only there because Bernie thinks they contribute to the 'show'  :down:

#32 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 15:22

lotus-f1-monaco-race.jpg

Columbia records putting Pharrel Williams brand on the car is like Phillip Morris putting Marlboro on the Ferraris or Coca Cola putting Burn on the Lotus. Happens everywhere

#33 FerrariFanInTexas

FerrariFanInTexas

• 1,157 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 16:48

It's not like he's some new boy band member. 

http://en.wikipedia....arrell_Williams

He has 11 Grammy awards and a career as a singer and music producer that goes back to the 90's.  He's had worldwide hits at the top of the charts, including number one songs throughout Europe.  in the past two years, he's been part (as performer, or producer, or both) on multiple Top 10 singles, been nominated for an Academy Award, and is a judge on the American version of the TV show, The Voice.

He also designs clothing, shoes, jewelery, and sunglasses and has a number of other ventures underway.  Remember back when Benetton sponsored a race team? 

#34 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 17:39

Eh? I'm not sure how not knowing who someone is can be construed as 'trolling'. I could have Googled the name but I'm just not that interested. I'm quite sure it offends the sensibilities of those with an interest in celebrity and pop culture (and who knows, possibly even this 'Pharell' chaps ego) but there are plenty of people who don't give a monkeys about it.

It doesn't matter how 'famous' someone is, if you don't know who they are, you don't know!

Guess what? I've never seen this woman before either and I could still pass her in the street and not even notice, quite frankly.

It's not like he's some new boy band member.

http://en.wikipedia....arrell_Williams

He has 11 Grammy awards and a career as a singer and music producer that goes back to the 90's. He's had worldwide hits at the top of the charts, including number one songs throughout Europe. in the past two years, he's been part (as performer, or producer, or both) on multiple Top 10 singles, been nominated for an Academy Award, and is a judge on the American version of the TV show, The Voice.

He also designs clothing, shoes, jewelery, and sunglasses and has a number of other ventures underway. Remember back when Benetton sponsored a race team?

Oh right. Well that explains why I have no idea who he is. I don't listen to that sort of music, or watch crap like that on TV. Looking at the photo, his 'taste' in fashion was never likely to appeal to me either.

:lol:

Edited by superden, 26 May 2015 - 18:06.

#35 paulogman

paulogman

• 2,642 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 21:05

Can I get those three minutes I spent in this thread back please.

#36 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 21:13

This thread reads as stuffy and old as the grid boys thread. Lotta folks on here don't seem to up with the times.

Glad to see they are getting a diverse group of people to sponsor this expensive sport.

#37 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 22:18

Are you sure they didn't put Marvin Gaye's name on the car.

Ha! SR388......I am old but still totally hip to the scene.  :smoking:

#38 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 23:01

Lotta folks on here don't seem to up with the times.

That just proves not everyone pays attention to whatever pop culture the media has decided to force down our collective throat this time round. Maybe some are just more discerning, after all, just because it's there, doesn't mean it's any good.

Anyway, how are this 'Pharell' fella, or the girl on the grid of any relevance or benefit to motor racing? Keeping with the times, in the context of your comment, has nothing to do with racing cars.

Edited by superden, 26 May 2015 - 23:12.

#39 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 33,069 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 23:07

Parrell should just buy the team. Billionaire Boys Club wouldn't be an inappropiate name for any modern F1 team. Alternatively, he could name it Ice Cream which would ensure the services of Raikkonen.

Advertisement

#40 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 23:07

Pharrel has 5million Instagram followers and was tweeting pictures of 'his' car. Most of those fans may not even be aware of F1. So yeah. **** him and his promotional help.

#41 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 23:09

This thread reads as stuffy and old as the grid boys thread. Lotta folks on here don't seem to up with the times.

Glad to see they are getting a diverse group of people to sponsor this expensive sport.

I assume I should be in the target group for that kind of music, considering my age, but I really don't know any Pharrel Williams songs and not sure if I'd like to know, today's pop is mostly crap.

Then again, many of my friends don't know my favorite bands, and one even said those are his father's favorite bands from the 80s.

#42 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 23:15

So yeah, **** him and his self promotion.

Quite.

#43 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 23:36

Pharrel has 5million Instagram followers and was tweeting pictures of 'his' car. Most of those fans may not even be aware of F1. So yeah. **** him and his promotional help.

What's the issue with him tweeting pictures of a car he sponsors?

#44 Nathan

Nathan

• 8,189 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 23:39

^ The wrong people, eg. none racing fans, might see them.

People here sure can be ridiculous.

Edited by Nathan, 26 May 2015 - 23:40.

#45 paulb

paulb

• 11,633 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 23:54

What's the issue with him tweeting pictures of a car he sponsors?

Uh, Ross is supporting the Pharrell's action.

#46 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 23:56

Uh, Ross is supporting the Pharrell's action.

Sorry, it was difficult to parse through all of his sarcasm.

#47 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 00:11

Quite.

As opposed to all the other F1 sponsors who are there for altruistic reasons?

#48 evo

evo

• 431 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:00

superden: I'm not attacking your musical preference, but just the lack of any effort or curiosity just lends itself to be just trollbait.

"I could have Googled the name but I'm just not that interested"

It could've been the bloody President of the USA or some ex-F1 racer and you probably wouldn't have known the difference nor had the inclination to find out either.

But that's ok, maybe posting in a thread you have no interest in nor wanting to provide any more substance to the topic is what you do. It's just your style.

#49 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,940 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:33

Anyway, how are this 'Pharell' fella, or the girl on the grid of any relevance or benefit to motor racing? Keeping with the times, in the context of your comment, has nothing to do with racing cars.

His record label is paying for Lotus to go racing. Duh. Just because you aren't aware of who they are doesn't diminish their right to be there or their importance to keeping teams solvent.

If sponsors need to be relevant to racing then F1 cars are gonna get pretty bare. It's been like that for ages, I'm not sure where you've been.

#50 MastaKink

MastaKink

• 4,354 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:57

I didn't even notice to be honest.  What's the problem?.  By sharing the photo to his fans it might spark some interest in the sport or just the Monaco GP which could lead to interest in the sport.