* * * * * 1 votes

Indycar to return to Rockingham?

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 Silverstone96

Silverstone96

• 1,146 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 22:39

Will this ever happen? Be a shame if a track purpose built for indycar never got to host it again, Rockingham have said never say never but guessing the hosting fee isn't cheap!

Advertisement

#2 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 22:42

Needs to. They also need to come to Bristol motor speedway. That's the best track in the nation.

#3 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 22:45

Rockingham has never hosted an Indycar race, it hosted two CART races in 2001 and 2002.

#4 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,610 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 22:45

Hope so, it'd be nice to be able to attend an event and, with disillusionment with F1 apparently growing, there might just be a market to tap into. Might be more of a hit if they ran it on a track or a street course, though. I'm not sure we really 'get' oval racing over here. With Formula E managing to get a race around London, Indycar should aim high.

#5 Silverstone96

Silverstone96

• 1,146 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 22:49

CART in 2001 was the premier American single seater series at the time. I was there that day on top of the Newman Haas garage, one of the best races I have ever witnessed.

The type of oval that Rockingham is would give a great indycar race now as well I think. Imagine spectator numbers would be low though, especially with the terrible coverage the series currently gets on BT Sport

#6 Xpat

Xpat

• 18,210 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 22:50

CART were indy cars just not IndyCar.

#7 FerrariV12

FerrariV12

• 934 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 22:54

I'd love to see it but the pessimist in me says no. To be honest the time to do it would have been when Franchitti, Wheldon and Wilson all had full time drives, although to be honest even that trio weren't that well known in their homeland as far as mainstream sports go.

Slightly OT but British participation in terms of competitive runners is probably at its lowest ebb since 1995/96. I don't see Jakes winning anything other than a crazy race Huertas-style, Hawksworth (and Jack Harvey for that matter) might in the future, but have a way to go.

#8 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 46,087 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 23:14

Ain't gonna happen.

#9 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 387 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 00:08

Rockingham, North Carolina yes. The one across the pond, who cares? Nobody will show up.

#10 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 03:21

They ever raced at Dover? That's a track I like!

#11 loki

loki

• 13,279 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 04:32

CART were indy cars just not IndyCar.

For while  (during the heyday) CART was known as the "indycar World Series" using Indycar under license from IMS.  Then the split...

#12 StraightEdge

StraightEdge

• 1,420 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 05:00

They ever raced at Dover? That's a track I like!

They have drawing dreadful crowd the two times they raced. The races weren't that bad.

Edited by StraightEdge, 16 June 2015 - 05:01.

#13 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,677 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:58

That Europe stint in 2001 could not have been hit by more bad luck. Rockingham took place before 9/11, but I think if the German race had not been right after 9/11 and not with the horrible Zanardi-accident, Europe might have had a chance of keeping CART coming over. I know they came back to the Lausitzring in 2003, but the shadows of 2001 were somehow hanging over it. And then, you might argue that CART was already on its way down (funny how global expansion of any given racing series is often the first indicator for its decline, think DTM/ITC).

I don't know about Rockingham, but whenever I see the Lausitzring on TV (during DTM races), I think it's sad that it never really got any chance. But I am sure we'll never see a top racing series on the oval again, as I don't see anybody putting up the money for SAFER barriers and so on.

#14 RA2

RA2

• 3,019 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:58

They should make it a double header with Brands Hatch

#15 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:03

reading this thread not sure we are talking about Rockingham,England or the one in North carolina ,most famous for NASCAR? Only ever been to two oval races,one at Rockingham(Corby)and one at Sanair(Quebec)which happened to be week after Trois Rivieres Can Am race! Oval racing is a sport of its own ,don't think there are enough fans in UK?

#16 Peat

Peat

• 9,253 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:22

Never. Gonna. Happen.

The only way it would, was if a promoter paid to ship all the cars/personnel over especially, and how would they make a return after that?

Sadly, 99% of the UK (and Europe) regard oval racing to require as little skill as driving on the motorway. 

#17 RA2

RA2

• 3,019 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:22

I think UK loves motorsport and people involved in motorsport. They pay the highest of any country in the world for watching a F1 race. A demonstration of an Oval race along with a fan favorite track of Brand Hatch would be a safe bet for Indy Car Series.

#18 vowcartaGP

vowcartaGP

• 105 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:31

Indy Car has been looking at options abroad, but I don't see how Rockingham could afford it. It's a shame as I'd love to see it. To be completely honest, the high speed ovals actually excite me more than road and street course events these days. The wheel to wheel battling and drafting at 220mph like we saw at Indy is slightly addictive and the added danger element is a nice break from Formula t1mid. Seeing an oval race in person would be something else.

#19 RA2

RA2

• 3,019 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:13

I am not sure what Indycar charges as a hosting fee but I am sure it is not much; they would probably race for free if the fright and winners cheques are paid.

Advertisement

#20 stewie

stewie

• 3,603 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:31

It would almost certainly need a SAFER barrier installing first.

I'd say whatever chance we have of seeing them over here would be limited to Donnington or Brands Hatch.

Personally I'd like it - Brit racing fans will watch pretty much anything so I'm sure it would do good business.

#21 RA2

RA2

• 3,019 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:56

Aren't they better off in renting some TracPro barriers for the race weekend?

#22 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:36

I can't imagine Indycar would charge a preposterous amount for hosting races would they?  Nothing like NASCAR or MotoGP, SBK or obviously F1. You could hold and event with praprs he Whelen series as support, though I imagine never the twain shall meet.

You certainly could not run it in conjunction with Brands, that was more of a disaster than the Rockingham races, a dullard track, massive queues and a formailty of a race. You would really have to use either Lauzitz or Venray as half decent oval tracks in Europe are few and far between.

I enjoyed the time I went to see CART at Rockingham, they put on a good show, the access was staggering in comparison to F1 and with ASCAR at the time being decent too the day was fine.

The issue with that place has always been the track, it is not banked enough to run flat out, they are only really braking for the last bend, and the action does not really seem to work that well there as I recall. Not their fault though, I have heard all sorts of rumours as to thwy the track is not as banked as it should be!

My main problem was that as usual in this modern world, the people running it charged the earth for tickets, instead of trying to get as many people in as possible with a sensible ticket price. It was not far short of a GP ticket, and that is greedy, pathetic and dumb from anyones point of view.

They put a lot of people off and they never went back, despite the hype and obvious interest.

The place is pretty much a racing white elephant now, only used in advertising and for corporate track days, BSB wont race there after numerous incidents, BTCC do of course, but everything else hates the place!

Edited by chunder27, 16 June 2015 - 10:37.

#23 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 33,069 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:37

Seems like a pointless expense from the perspective of the teams.

#24 sjakie

sjakie

• 141 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:10

Roger Penske said the other day that indycar needs to develope (or re invent) itself in North America. I'm afraid he's right. A lot of sponsors do not have a market outside North America and therefore have no interest in races outside the American timezone. Back in 2001 we heart the same complaint from sponsor that the Euro swing cost them a lot but it didn't gain them anything.

The 2001 races at Lausitz and Corby were very good. Especially the German race was well attended but I think even with the right circumstances (CART remaining strong) it would have failed ultimately. No market for sponsors would have meant a rising sanction fee which would have been unacceptable for promotors. The German promoter went bankrupt, even after the succesful 2001 race.

I would love to have a couple of Indycar oval races (not roadcourses, we have enough roadcourse races in Europe) in Europe but it simply isn't economic viable

#25 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:11

Nice to see Americans catering for their worldwide fans.

Is a special place that country,

They like you spending your money there and visiting, just dont try and get a job there!

#26 Xpat

Xpat

• 18,210 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 13:50

We try to keep both you fans happy!

#27 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 14:31

They like you spending your money there and visiting, just dont try and get a job there!

Seriously, you're trying to bring immigration rules into this thread?  You clearly have no idea that most Western countries have similar barriers to non-citizens/residents getting jobs there.  You really are special.

Neil

#28 BlinkyMcSquinty

BlinkyMcSquinty

• 862 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 14:49

Roger Penske said the other day that indycar needs to develope (or re invent) itself in North America. I'm afraid he's right. A lot of sponsors do not have a market outside North America and therefore have no interest in races outside the American timezone. Back in 2001 we heart the same complaint from sponsor that the Euro swing cost them a lot but it didn't gain them anything.

The 2001 races at Lausitz and Corby were very good. Especially the German race was well attended but I think even with the right circumstances (CART remaining strong) it would have failed ultimately. No market for sponsors would have meant a rising sanction fee which would have been unacceptable for promotors. The German promoter went bankrupt, even after the succesful 2001 race.

I would love to have a couple of Indycar oval races (not roadcourses, we have enough roadcourse races in Europe) in Europe but it simply isn't economic viable

I think this is the major point. After over a decade of two series competing and almost destroying each other, Indycar is still in the phase where they have to re-establish themselves and get things going strongly in North America. It is like any business, you have to establish a strong market base before thinking of major expansion.

#29 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 4,524 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 15:28

I take it you mean the UK Rockingham, near Corby? 

Yes, it would be good to have them back but It would have to be promoted well and avoid any clash with things like F1, BTCC and maybe even Farnbrough or Fairford air shows to drag as many people in as possible. 

#30 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 15:43

Wait. I thought we were talking about the one in America? They built a rockingham in England? That cool.

#31 stewie

stewie

• 3,603 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 15:57

Wait. I thought we were talking about the one in America? They built a rockingham in England? That cool.

Sure is!

#32 RA2

RA2

• 3,019 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 16:13

While the sponsorship angle may be true in the short term I am not sure about building the sport with sponsors interest as the primary driver behind decision making for series organizers.

Indy Car though a low profile has sufficient interest to fill the grandstands at the Rockingham oval. It is also seen by the fans as open in its technology and interactions with the drivers and team owners. A full grandstand is day better for the series even if sponsors are not happy; but that will change after a few years when the race becomes iconic. 

Fans should come first for Indy when it is trying to rebuild itself and it should establish itself in those prime markets. A more international perspective will only strengthen its position back home.

#33 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 17:42

My comments are based on my and others experiences.

You don't like them, fair enough, I donit like you very much.

Earlier comments are about the track are vaild.

#34 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 18:32

If they were coming to Europe I would have thought a race on one of the iconic road courses would be more suitable. Seems silly to fly the cars thousands of miles only to race at a faux American circuit. I recall a couple of years back there were strong rumours of them going to Monza or the Nurburgring (obviously the GP circuit!).

However the European motorsports market is quite saturated already and it won't open up many new audience prospects. If they were going abroad, somewhere like China would be more likely.

#35 prommer

prommer

• 5,146 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 20:07

If they were coming to Europe I would have thought a race on one of the iconic road courses would be more suitable. Seems silly to fly the cars thousands of miles only to race at a faux American circuit. I recall a couple of years back there were strong rumours of them going to Monza or the Nurburgring (obviously the GP circuit!).

Yep.  Vallelunga expressed interest after Indycar proved that it can provide great racing at skinny moto tracks like Barber Motorsports Park.  I believe this was 2012 or 2013.  Then once the interest was expressed, Monza apparently said "Hey, wait, we're Monzanapolis, we should host Indycar!" and before you know it, Imola was asking as well.  There were various reports in the Italian press, including a possible street race in the alleyways of Napoli, under the hung out lines of washings.

As I understand it, Tony Cotman (Indy's street track designer) went over to Italy with Luca Filippi in tow as translator to inspect the tracks and figure out the true level of interest.  Nothing appears to have come of it, however; except that I think Filippi's current drive with CFH has something to do with the consulting fees he had accrued.

#36 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 20:29

So if Indycar announced a European triple header. Three weekends, three venues, including one double header to make four races in total. Which would you choose?

To add to this, funding is available to give guest drives to two European race drivers for the four races - who would you pick?

----

For me, I would want to see the cars run at Donington, Monza and rounding off with a double-header at Spa.

I'd put Antonio Felix da Costa and Alex Lynn in the guest cars.

#37 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 65,264 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 20:32

Pau, Lausitzring and Imola double-header.

#38 ATesla

ATesla

• 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 21:00

Indycar could go to the Nurburgring now that F1 ditched it. Maybe we could see an Indycar driver to a promotional run around the Nordschliefe. I would love to see that!

I feel that if Indycar went to Europe they should have at least 1 street race somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

The tripleheader would finish off in Mugello, for Dallara. I recall Indycar wanting a race in Italy one time and the Mugello circuit website listed an Indycar race on their schedule.

And no doubleheaders, because I don't like that.

#39 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,445 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 22:06

Rockingham has never hosted an Indycar race, it hosted two CART races in 2001 and 2002.

What would the world be without pedants...

Advertisement

#40 Silverstone96

Silverstone96

• 1,146 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 22:14

Rockingham, Imola.....and Magny Cours! Think the latter would spring a surprise of a race.

As for guest drives, Robin Frijns and for someone higher profile maybe Kevin Magnussen

#41 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,592 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 22:28

Monaco (combined with the historic meeting?), Spa and either Enna-Pergusa (just to please the local snakes) or Mugello.

#42 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,592 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 22:30

And here I was thinking that you were just playing with us by specifically mentioning Bristol and Dover  :D

#43 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 23:46

And here I was thinking that you were just playing with us by specifically mentioning Bristol and Dover :D

I'm still confused. What next, someone tells me that there is another London that isn't in Ohio?

#44 loki

loki

• 13,279 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:35

I'm still confused. What next, someone tells me that there is another London that isn't in Ohio?

Yeah, the other London is in Ontario not too far from London, Ohio though I'm told there is a newer London in Connecticut.

It's not much different than one of us getting a work permit in the EU or UK.  In fact if you can get someone over here to sponsor your H1B visa it's a great deal easier than me getting an EU or UK work visa.  I've spent a good part of my adult life working all around the world.  The US is no different than most other countries.

#45 DS27

DS27

• 4,799 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:10

As far as I can recall, I was at the first race at Rockingham - I didn't actually remember it was held more than once.

It was the one where hardly any racing happened because of the water coming up through the track that wouldn't dry out. It was a mighty frustrating experience, as I had orgnaised a big crowd to attend, and this included some non-hardcore fans, and watching an empty track was not likely to win them over. Still, on the day, beer came to the rescue.

That being said, what little racing there was was good and I enjoyed the spectacle and particuarly the access to the drivers, teams, pit lane, etc. Shame really that it didn't work out. When I have been back to Rockingham for other meetings, it seems a sad place - huge big grandstands that would hold tens of thousands with 12 people and a dog someone snuck in.

#46 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:25

Agreed-only ever went once to the first CART meeting-must have been the second that was wet? don't know how it ever made any money-stands always deserted when I watch on TV.

#47 BRG

BRG

• 26,553 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 19:23

Best not tell him about Washington, Boston, Richmond, Bangor, York, Birmingham.....

#48 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 20:08

If IndyCar had European races, the two most obvious would be Nürburgring/Hockenheim & Imola/Monza (the non-F1 tracks of those countries). Plus I think the UK would be third great race host. And I think Brits would appreciate IndyCar enough to come to see it on an oval instead of a more familiar road course. So, I'd have the British round at Rockingham.

Though it'd probably be logistically easier to have all races on road/street courses (or alternatively two European races at Rockingham & Lausitzring ovals).

#49 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 49,721 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 23:01

If IndyCar had European races, the two most obvious would be Nürburgring/Hockenheim & Imola/Monza (the non-F1 tracks of those countries). Plus I think the UK would be third great race host. And I think Brits would appreciate IndyCar enough to come to see it on an oval instead of a more familiar road course. So, I'd have the British round at Rockingham.

Though it'd probably be logistically easier to have all races on road/street courses (or alternatively two European races at Rockingham & Lausitzring ovals).

Is Indycar really all that popular in Germany and Italy? And if so, take it to Lausitz and Mugello or somewhere a bit more special.

#50 loki

loki

• 13,279 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:02

Is Indycar really all that popular in Germany and Italy? And if so, take it to Lausitz and Mugello or somewhere a bit more special.

It would be if they ran the full Nordschleife and the original Monza layout.

:)