* * * * - 6 votes

Keep Fighting, Michael

• Please log in to reply
984 replies to this topic

#951 owenmahamilton

owenmahamilton

• 15 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 13:58

There is a story on the Daily Mirror's website today, apparently Jean Todt watched Lewis Hamilton win this year's World Championship with Michael at Michael's house:

https://www.mirror.c...f1-pal-13699743

Edited by owenmahamilton, 07 December 2018 - 14:27.

Advertisement

#952 Marklar

Marklar

• 28,275 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 14:01

He said this indeed, although it's partly misstranslated, he just said that he was at Michael's house watching RTL (I guess after visiting him) rather than that he watched the race actively with Michael.

So doesnt really tell us much in terms of Michael's state I guess.

Edited by Marklar, 07 December 2018 - 14:03.

#953 pdac

pdac

• 6,611 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 16:09

He said this indeed, although it's partly misstranslated, he just said that he was at Michael's house watching RTL (I guess after visiting him) rather than that he watched the race actively with Michael.

So doesnt really tell us much in terms of Michael's state I guess.

Journalists never let details get in the way of a good story.

#954 Mosrite

Mosrite

• 711 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 16:50

None of the recent Schumacher stories reveal anything about Michael's condition, and none will. The people who are allowed to visit are good friends of the family, and the family's stance has always been clear and the same. There will be no updates on condition, he has retired from  public life and that is how it will stay. 
With his son moving up the ranks, it is even harder to simply forget all about Michael Schumacher. The journalists know this so any story that can include Michael Schumacher's name will be carefully edited in the title for maximum clicks. 

He sure was a great driver and will never be forgotten for his outstanding achievements in F1

#955 ExEd

ExEd

• 373 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 17:43

With his son moving up the ranks, it is even harder to simply forget all about Michael Schumacher. The journalists know this so any story that can include Michael Schumacher's name will be carefully edited in the title for maximum clicks. 

He sure was a great driver and will never be forgotten for his outstanding achievements in F1

Im already feeling sorry for the lad, when surely some stupid jourmos will start asking him in public about his father's condition etc.  :rolleyes:

I mean its always a hard part to follow in someone else footsteps but having this on top..meh 

#956 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 5,001 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 20:01

Im already feeling sorry for the lad, when surely some stupid jourmos will start asking him in public about his father's condition etc. :rolleyes:
I mean its always a hard part to follow in someone else footsteps but having this on top..meh

I know, right.
However, kids are often more resilient than people think. I'm inclined to think he's already used to it and been coached pretty well on how to handle it, especially as it's been quite a few years already.

#957 Ramon69

Ramon69

• 710 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 20:12

Does anyone honestly expect him to be walking and talking after such a huge period of silence? This can only mean one thing, that he is, well a vegetable aka paralyzed. Simple as that. I'm pretty sure that if he was recovering we would hear declarations by now. But this takes a long time and it's nearly impossible to recover severe brain damage after such a huge amount of time. It's sad, but it's just true.

Edited by Ramon69, 07 December 2018 - 20:13.

#958 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 7,862 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 20:16

Does anyone honestly expect him to be walking and talking after such a huge period of silence? This can only mean one thing, that he is, well a vegetable aka paralyzed. Simple as that. I'm pretty sure that if he was recovering we would hear declarations by now. But this takes a long time and it's nearly impossible to recover severe brain damage after such a huge amount of time. It's sad, but it's just true.

Wow you are so smart.

#959 messy

messy

• 2,742 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 20:39

I actually find the recent reports quite good. The image of Jean Todt sitting and watching the F1 with him (assuming that was what happened), the visit from the priest, both painting a picture of him in his house, comfortable, mobile (as in not stuck in a bed), etc.

In my head that is a million times better an image than him in bed hooked up to machines.

I'll take the crumbs of comfort we get, I guess.

Advertisement

#960 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 15,890 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 20:46

I don’t know. The image I get is of Todt popping round to see Michael and then making himself comfortable in the living room to watch some TV.

#961 ensign14

ensign14

• 46,851 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 21:01

It's now beyond ridiculous.  A family which says they want nothing but privacy - while the son undertakes the exact same career as his father and using his exact name.

I find it disrespectful for Schumacher's fans (of which I am not one) to leave them on tenterhooks for so long as to the prognosis for their idol.  There are ways and means of letting people know without sparking a media frenzy.  Not least that it could even do some good.  If one assumes that Schumacher is in a PVS for instance perhaps some of those fans might donate to societies researching it or looking after families whose members are similarly trapped.

But, to be brutal, one reason why the family made (and still makes) money is from those fans whom they deliberately keep in the dark.

#962 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 1,350 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 21:13

Wow you are so smart.

As opposed to the people who are still 'praying' for a 'miracle'? Correct... far smarter than that.

Edited by PlayboyRacer, 07 December 2018 - 21:14.

#963 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 2,007 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 21:15

It's now beyond ridiculous.  A family which says they want nothing but privacy - while the son undertakes the exact same career as his father and using his exact name.

I find it disrespectful for Schumacher's fans (of which I am not one) to leave them on tenterhooks for so long as to the prognosis for their idol.  There are ways and means of letting people know without sparking a media frenzy.  Not least that it could even do some good.  If one assumes that Schumacher is in a PVS for instance perhaps some of those fans might donate to societies researching it or looking after families whose members are similarly trapped.

But, to be brutal, one reason why the family made (and still makes) money is from those fans whom they deliberately keep in the dark.

I'm curious, what does the family owe you? 

#964 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 7,862 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 21:19

As opposed to the people who are still 'praying' for a 'miracle'? Correct... far smarter than that.

My point being many years later people still think statements like the one I quoted are new, informative and revelations.

Yawn.

#965 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 13,464 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 21:19

Im already feeling sorry for the lad, when surely some stupid jourmos will start asking him in public about his father's condition etc.  :rolleyes:

What's there to feel sorry about? He already knows what condition Michael is in. It's not going to suddenly dawn on him that this is reality because some dude with a microphone asks him about it. If he wants to follow his mother's example and be secretive about it, that's his own choice.

Michael Schumacher really isn't the only person to ever suffer an accident that leaves them (partly) disabled.

Edited by Nonesuch, 07 December 2018 - 21:22.

#966 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 13,464 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 21:27

The Schumachers built an entire merchandise and media empire on the interest of Michael's fans.

The idea that Schumacher was some secretive hermit who only appeared in public on weekends at some circuit is a total fiction.

It's not about owing anyone anything. It's about being so in denial there that even Willi Weber - Michael's long-term manager - is shut out.

#967 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 308 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 21:32

The Schumacher family owe us nothing. No explanations, no news, no prognosis. It is entirely up to them what information they release, and they have consistently stated that they don't wish to talk about Michael's condition. They trust Jean Todt not to reveal anything. Others have been shut out because they did talk. 

#968 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 13,464 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 21:36

Willi Weber only gave an interview after he was in a near panic after years of being kept away from Michael.

It wasn't until this year that he talked about it again, saying he had to 'close the chapter on Michael' to move on.

But it is what it is.

#969 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 1,350 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 21:38

My point being many years later people still think statements like the one I quoted are new, informative and revelations.

Yawn.

This whole thread is a yawn truth be told. It's clear Michael is in a bad way and that is likely to last for the rest of our days. I don't see the point in discussion at all.

Sure - if there is ever significant news, and I mean really significant (not Michael apparantly looked out of a window today), then open the thread again. Until that... close it.

#970 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 10,275 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 21:43

The Schumacher family owe us nothing. No explanations, no news, no prognosis. It is entirely up to them what information they release, and they have consistently stated that they don't wish to talk about Michael's condition. They trust Jean Todt not to reveal anything. Others have been shut out because they did talk. 

I don't care much either way and yeah, they don't owe in a legal sense. But it's not nice either to deny that Michael and his family living in a mansion with private doctors and whatnot is in large part due to his fans deeply caring about him and the money he earned to a considerable part because of this.

#971 Afterburner

Afterburner

• 6,284 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 21:48

Hoping for good things to happen to people, however unlikely, is unequivocally smarter than not caring, in any circumstance.

#972 ensign14

ensign14

• 46,851 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 22:04

Nothing.  I'm not and never have been a fan.

But there is still massive interest and concern from his fans - and there's not even been the vaguest scintilla for their benefit.

#973 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 1,350 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 22:16

Hoping for good things to happen to people, however unlikely, is unequivocally smarter than not caring, in any circumstance.

Pie in the sky stuff. I prefer to deal in reality and the evidence at hand. I'd love to have Michael pre accident back and involved with Micks career and living out his days healthy and happy.

I'm not in denial though. Its not gonna happen and this thread is purely existing on the basis that a miracle may happen. There are no updates, no information, nothing. Just tabloid speculation and fans praying for a miracle. I mean come on.

Edited by PlayboyRacer, 07 December 2018 - 22:23.

#974 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 308 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 08:37

The fact that MIck's career is taking off will naturally generate more media interest in Michael...but that still in no way obligates the family to update us on his condition. Sure some journo is bound to ask a difficult question at some point.....but Mick must live with the consequences of his father's skiing accident every day of his life....he's not going to reveal anything he shouldn't. I'm sure Mick and the entire family have agreed strategies on how to deal with the media as MIck's career progresses.

I see nothing wrong with wishing Michael well, while remaining grounded in reality...his recovery is probably not advanced and likely never will be. 

#975 ernestomodena

ernestomodena

• 241 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:14

Ok this sounds weird. But in the article of toet visiting putin. He gave him a helmet with the signature of drivers. There is stated that it includes the signature of Michael. Those that mean that he could use his hands or is this some old helmet.

#976 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 15,890 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:16

Probably just had the drivers’ signatures printed on it.

#977 Spillage

Spillage

• 5,171 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:24

But it's not nice either to deny that Michael and his family living in a mansion with private doctors and whatnot is in large part due to his fans deeply caring about him and the money he earned to a considerable part because of this.

In the main the money was earned through his ability to win races and championships for Benetton and Ferrari. I don't think he ever courted celebrity outside of that, they were always very secretive and protective of their private lives. So I don't really think they've any moral obligation to tell us anything at all, even if I myself probably would were I in their situation.

I think they'll have to tell us eventually, though. If Mick does make it to F1 then I don't really see how they can keep it a secret forever.

#978 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 13,464 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:53

I don't think he ever courted celebrity outside of that, they were always very secretive and protective of their private lives.

That's the story they've been putting out since the accident.

It's simply not true. Michael had his own magazine for crying out loud. People knew all about his vacations, his homes, his trips to Norway and the US, his wife's horses, his place in Maranello, his days karting with Jos Verstappen, etc.

Edited by Nonesuch, 08 December 2018 - 10:55.

#979 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 5,001 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:31

He or they don't owe any fans anything. He paid them with his career while it was happening.

Definitely no need to disclose a single thing about the most difficult and private thing their family has ever had to endure. It stops somewhere and this is where they decided that it is.

Advertisement

#980 alonstar

alonstar

• 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:54

What is wrong with wishing him well and honouring him, even if he is retired? There are a lot of Alonso tribute  threads for the end of his F1 career and it's great, so what is wrong with paying tribute to someone who has been extremeley badly injured and been severely disabled ever since ? I mean, he was still running in F1 one year only before his accident, it's not like he was completely outside the sport.

#981 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 10,275 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 13:58

In the main the money was earned through his ability to win races and championships for Benetton and Ferrari. I don't think he ever courted celebrity outside of that, they were always very secretive and protective of their private lives. So I don't really think they've any moral obligation to tell us anything at all, even if I myself probably would were I in their situation.

I think they'll have to tell us eventually, though. If Mick does make it to F1 then I don't really see how they can keep it a secret forever.

You obviously didn't see the huge media personality that he was in Germany. There are 10 time world champions in other sports who live on an average working income after their career. The only reason Schumi made money to this extent is because people cared about him

Edit: And like I said, they don't have any obligations as such, but frankly I don't consider it nice to tell the fans that you don't care for them. Also I'm not sure if Michael would see it the same way

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 08 December 2018 - 14:01.

#982 sopa

sopa

• 11,298 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 14:13

I'm surprised Jean Todt is one of the 'inner' circle people, who is let near Michael. How big is that circle? And if that's big enough, surely the family would be afraid something would leak?

#983 pRy

pRy

• 14,621 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 15:25

I'm surprised Jean Todt is one of the 'inner' circle people, who is let near Michael. How big is that circle? And if that's big enough, surely the family would be afraid something would leak?

Jean and Michael were close for years. Why wouldn't he be trusted? He's never struck me as someone untrustworthy. 

#984 Chick0

Chick0

• 130 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 16:23

Jean and Micheal are very very close.  And i seem to remember Ross Brawn saying he visited him as well.  

#985 Dolph

Dolph

• 6,941 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 16:33

That's the story they've been putting out since the accident.

It's simply not true. Michael had his own magazine for crying out loud. People knew all about his vacations, his homes, his trips to Norway and the US, his wife's horses, his place in Maranello, his days karting with Jos Verstappen, etc.

I didn't know